+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 288 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 5747

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Default Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

They had to stomach season 1 Zuko for god knows how long

Toph being reasonable makes perfect sense, seeing that she barely knew him

Katara didn’t do that for her ego though. She did that for Aang, who, and I emphasize again here, died, as a direct result of Zuko’s choices. The warning was very well deserved.

And Aethos, I think you’re letting your dislike for the character of Katara cloud your judgement on her actions (and give me an example of her always thinking she’s perfect other than the Painted Lady). For one thing, are you seriously comparing all the bad things the two characters have ever done? I’d think invading the Southern Water Tribe and taking the Avatar captive alone is enough to offset everything bad Katara’s ever done. Secondly, how has Zuko lived up to his mistakes? He’s just getting started on his repentance, saying sorry is only the first step.

As for Roku's lesson, Aang did accept Zuko, did he not? He even wanted to the first time if Sokka hadn’t shook his head. We’re talking about Katara here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zede05 View Post
    Katara didn’t do that for her ego though. She did that for Aang, who, and I emphasize again here, died, as a direct result of Zuko’s choices. The warning was very well deserved.

And Aethos, I think you’re letting your dislike for the character of Katara cloud your judgement on her actions (and give me an example of her always thinking she’s perfect other than the Painted Lady). For one thing, are you seriously comparing all the bad things the two characters have ever done? I’d think invading the Southern Water Tribe and taking the Avatar captive alone is enough to offset everything bad Katara’s ever done. Secondly, how has Zuko lived up to his mistakes? He’s just getting started on his repentance, saying sorry is only the first step.

As for Roku's lesson, Aang did accept Zuko, did he not? He even wanted to the first time if Sokka hadn’t shook his head. We’re talking about Katara here.
    Actually I don't hate Katara. Yeah I hate her forr what she did this episode but I don't hate her overall. My point was that both Zuko and Katara have made mistakes due to their pride and ego, and that Katara should be the last person threatening Zuko. Even if it was well deserved for what happened in Ba Sing Se. I'm just saying Katara took things too far.

and no Aang didn't accept Zuko. Not until Zuko saved them from combustion man and showed Aang that he realizes that it's easy to hurt the people you love. Before that though Aang didn't want anything to do with Zuko and made that quite clear. Obviously Aang hadn't been listening to Roku's lesson.

Discovered Stowaway DeadJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by changsho View Post
    Of course it came from the end of season 2, it's probably the worst thing Zuko's ever done anyway.

I can see where you're coming from though.. But if everyone in the group simply accepted him then where's the fun in that? I thought Sokka's gonna be the bitchy one but hey, Katara works too.
    There's no real way of gauging of all the things he did what the worst was.

She shold have kept her little comment to herself and if the time came where she had to handle Zuko she should just do it. I have no problem with her stance, just the fact she felt Zuko needed to know it.

Zuko was fighting for his side even though he made the contrary decision that Iroh and Katara thought he would make. I understand she's mad about that, but I don't think that warning was for Aang as much it was for her.

Seemed pretty egocentric to me. Why warn someone you hate so fiercely, why not just take him out when he steps out of line? Like I said, she just had to get in his face because she was butthurt over being "betrayed".
    Last edited by DeadJustice; December 15th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
    If all my talents and powers were taken away from me by some inscrutable Providence, and I had my choice of keeping but one, I would unhesitatingly ask to be allowed to keep the Power of Speaking, for through it, I would quickly recover all the rest.

--Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by DeadJustice View Post
    There's no real way of gauging of all the things he did what the worst was.
    Well that one stood out the most, at least for me

Meh it's all part of massive conspiracy to get the ZukoxKatara pairing going anyway

Haha, that's most likely true.
    If all my talents and powers were taken away from me by some inscrutable Providence, and I had my choice of keeping but one, I would unhesitatingly ask to be allowed to keep the Power of Speaking, for through it, I would quickly recover all the rest.

--Daniel Webster

Aethos, I didn’t say you hate the person of Katara, I said you dislike her character [traits]. From what you typed, that seems to be the chase. And again, I ask, how many examples of Katara’s actions based on her “pride and ego” can you give me that’s not from The Painted Lady? Until season 3, Zuko’s entire existence was for his pride and honor, but Katara?

Anyway, that’s not the point. The point is Katara is trying to protect the one person she really cares about and has already lost once with any means possible, that’s reason enough for her to threaten anyone. You might say it’s out of her character, which is true. But that’s what makes that scene so powerful. (Here’s another example, when Vivi said “I’m going to kill you” to Crocodile, did she have the right to say that? After all, she’s been in a criminal organization doing “bad” things for 2 years.)

Also, Aang was mostly neutral in regards to Zuko. He was trying to balance his notion of giving everyone a chance and his friends’ distrust of Zuko. And every time until the end, his friends’ view won out. Why do you think he told them about Zuko rescuing him and hesitated to respond (and looked to Sokka)when Zuko said they could be friends? It’s very subtle, that’s why I said this episode had good writing.

DeadJustice, by your logic, why have laws? We could just round up the criminals and shoot them afterwards anyway, right? Katara just said “If I see you ever hurting Aang again, you’re dead,” in her most serious voice in the series, and you think she doesn’t mean exactly that?

All I'm saying is that moment was useless and felt like a forced powerful moment between the characters. I didn't say she didn't mean it or wasn't justified in feeling it.

I don't get the relation of my logic to that scenario.

--Daniel Webster

Aethos, I didn’t say you hate the person of Katara, I said you dislike her character [traits]. From what you typed, that seems to be the chase. And again, I ask, how many examples of Katara’s actions based on her “pride and ego” can you give me that’s not from The Painted Lady? Until season 3, Zuko’s entire existence was for his pride and honor, but Katara?

Anyway, that’s not the point. The point is Katara is trying to protect the one person she really cares about and has already lost once with any means possible, that’s reason enough for her to threaten anyone. You might say it’s out of her character, which is true. But that’s what makes that scene so powerful. (Here’s another example, when Vivi said “I’m going to kill you” to Crocodile, did she have the right to say that? After all, she’s been in a criminal organization doing “bad” things for 2 years.)

Also, Aang was mostly neutral in regards to Zuko. He was trying to balance his notion of giving everyone a chance and his friends’ distrust of Zuko. And every time until the end, his friends’ view won out. Why do you think he told them about Zuko rescuing him and hesitated to respond (and looked to Sokka)when Zuko said they could be friends? It’s very subtle, that’s why I said this episode had good writing.

DeadJustice, by your logic, why have laws? We could just round up the criminals and shoot them afterwards anyway, right? Katara just said “If I see you ever hurting Aang again, you’re dead,” in her most serious voice in the series, and you think she doesn’t mean exactly that?
    Let's see... The waterbending scroll, Jet's first appearance, Haru's first appearance, the way Katara treated Toph when Toph first joined. I'm sure there are several more but my memory on the past episodes is pretty fuzzy at this point, but those are the few main one's I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethos
    Let's see... The waterbending scroll, Jet's first appearance, Haru's first appearance,...
    Seriously guys, u wanna compare Katara's petty flaws to someone who's burned down villages and fought Katara and Aang literally to the death?

I'd say it's irrational but in a way it shows how well the writers made us understand and feel for Zuko's character. It seems though that now some of us can't relate to the terror the GAang felt in front of Zuko so many times anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadJustice
    Why warn someone you hate so fiercely, why not just take him out when he steps out of line?
    Huh? It's a common thing. You warn and threaten someone because you are afraid. Afraid it might be too late to do something about it after he's taken action. Katara's feelings were (amongst others) probably a mixture of her fear of Zuko and the hope that the threats might prevent him from doing something stupid. That's by no means a rational thing to do but consider the feelings involved.

I really think that that was a realistic and very human scene and not some overly sophisticated, far fetched plot device or whatever.
    Last edited by Elric; December 15th, 2007 at 09:54 PM.
    Yibis One Piece Fansubs
    http://yibis.com - #yibis@irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by DeadJustice
    All I'm saying is that moment was useless and felt like a forced powerful moment between the characters. I didn't say she didn't mean it or wasn't justified in feeling it.

I don't get the relation of my logic to that scenario.
    Ok, let me make this more clear. You are saying Katara’s ego led her to say that threat to Zuko instead of fear for Aang’s safety. I’m telling you that Katara just said “If I see you ever hurting Aang again, you’re dead,” in her most serious voice in the series, and you think she doesn’t mean exactly that? Then you said “Why warn someone you hate so fiercely, why not just take him out when he steps out of line?” And I replied she’s laying down the law. She doesn't know he's really turned good like the viewers.

Also, you don’t have enough information to determine the threat to be useless. But for them to include this scene, it means 2 things. Zuko will screw up and there will be consequences or Zuko will gain Katara’s trust and finally be forgiven. It’s called a setup scene, that’s why it’s not “useless.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aethos
    Let's see... The waterbending scroll, Jet's first appearance, Haru's first appearance, the way Katara treated Toph when Toph first joined. I'm sure there are several more but my memory on the past episodes is pretty fuzzy at this point, but those are the few main one's I remember.
    Let’s go over that list.

The Waterbending Scroll – yep pride played the major part, in fact, that was the theme of that episode. And she apologized at the end. Lesson learned.

Jet – eh…how does pride and ego play into this again? She’s too trusting of Jet, but nothing to do with pride or ego.

Imprisoned – she wanted to help people, how’s that pride and ego? She sticks her nose into other people’s business, but that’s another character trait.

The Chase – that was a personality clash of group mentality versus everyone for himself. Katara was harsh, but she wasn’t wrong, in fact Iroh told Toph as much.

BTW, when I said The Painted Lady, I meant the part where she's being prideful of acting as the actual Painted Lady because she "grew" into it, not the part where she's stubbornly trying to help people.

Look, on paper, Katara is suppose to be the “perfect” girl because she’s the protagonist’s “forever girl” character in a wuxia series for kids. The writers wrote her this way. I think that’s why her character is so divisive, because it’s not too realistic. But due to this, her character has high moral standards and any bad activities she engages in will be done for humor or the greater good. Thus, pride and ego will only appear if the writers are instructed to teach the viewers a lesson. I went to college for 4 years to learn this stuff, I would know (and yes, this comment is an example of being prideful, hee).

Anyway, through all your hate, I'm surprised you didn't mention how she hit Zuko when he was down. That was much harsher than the last scene. It does show the giant emotional gap that Zuko and the Gaang has to close for them to win the war.

you guys are missing the point here

combustion man's head fucking exploded

how awesome is that
    Last edited by BeansDooma; December 15th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
    hnngrnrgh

Let me just point out that the people who write this show must have ADHD, and I love it!
    Why live on the edge when you can fall off

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkor View Post
    Let me just point out that the people who write this show must have ADHD, and I love it!
    Remember that crazy dance of one of the kids in "the headband" when Aang shouts "everybody freestyle"?

There was a video of Bryan Konietzko, one of the producers, doing the video reference for that. So funny, they're filming mainly martial arts sequences for the fight scenes and all of a sudden there's that crazy dance just like in the episode.

Sadly it has been removed from youtube :(

edit: AAAhahah i found just the right clip, watch this. There's also Sokka as Wang Fire^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b59lwVznK2o

Nice, there's also a short clip of Kung Fu Reference under related videos.
    Yibis One Piece Fansubs
    http://yibis.com - #yibis@irc.rizon.net

^ Lol I remember that episode, Avatar is the most random anime ever.
    Why live on the edge when you can fall off

Isn't anybody bothered that we never got a freakin' explanation of how Sparky Sparky Boom-Man's powers work?

I still say he was firebending with his Thought Chakra.

Anyway, Katara's actions don't surprise me in the least. If anybody in the group has reason to dislike Zuko, it's her after the events in Old Ba Sing Se. Even Aang has to balance his hatred with the fact that Zuko saved him from Zhao (twice technically seeing as how Zuko carried Aang's body off from the Spirit Pool at the North Pool as it would have been there when Zhao showed up to kill the Moon Spirit otherwise). Zuko humiliated Sokka several times during their first encounter, but that's different from being stabbed in the back like Katara was.

Of course, it wasn't fair of her to say that Zuko stole her mother's necklace. She wouldn't have gotten it back if he hadn't picked it up at that prison and used it to have Jun track them down.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Loved this episode! Zuko was hillarious and I love how Toph just blew off the character introduction with "forget it, if it's important i'll find out" lol. The Duke, Haru, and Wheelchair seemed to just be out of the way, I was hoping to get further into character with them, maybe later on? And I loved Katara's little threat at the end "Touch Aang and I will fucking kill you!" XD

Aethos: How was she taking it too far? This guy has followed them all around the world and nearly killed them many times! What has Katara really done? All the characters have made minor mistakes in order to build on the character development. I mean Aang burnt Katara's hand, hid information about their fathers whereabouts, lured a bunch of fire nation kids to a party in some secluded cave, and ran away from home. Toph has stolen stuff and was being uber selfish when she joined up. Sokka... well he probably has the cleanest slate...

Ok, let me make this more clear. You are saying Katara’s ego led her to say that threat to Zuko instead of fear for Aang’s safety. I’m telling you that Katara just said “If I see you ever hurting Aang again, you’re dead,” in her most serious voice in the series, and you think she doesn’t mean exactly that? Then you said “Why warn someone you hate so fiercely, why not just take him out when he steps out of line?” And I replied she’s laying down the law. She doesn't know he's really turned good like the viewers.

Also, you don’t have enough information to determine the threat to be useless. But for them to include this scene, it means 2 things. Zuko will screw up and there will be consequences or Zuko will gain Katara’s trust and finally be forgiven. It’s called a setup scene, that’s why it’s not “useless.”
    I say its useless for her to get in his face. That's all. Nothing more than a minor difference in opinion. If he doesn't step out line then she can just leave the situation be.

I will agree that story wise it is a setup scene, in that strict sense it's supposed to be there. I meant in more in the sense of immersing myself in the story.

--Daniel Webster

Well, considering the season is half over I suppose I should just wait till the season concludes and starts to rerun. I don't feel up to watching 12 episodes online when I can at one point watch it on my 54" on the comfort of my couch.

Episode 13 is apprently called "the Firebending masters" Notice the "s" on the end of masters??? Wonder what that couls lead too?! Btw Haru should totally try showing us his new moves, or have Toph attempt to teach him metalbending.
    "Wasn't the Internet made for scanlations in the first place?"- Simon Jones

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information