+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 156

Thread: General Philosophy discussion

  1. #21
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In a Berserk, Near-Death State, running around with an Equalizer

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    I asked the same question when I was 15, 16 years old in an Internet forum, LOL.
    I think if you have your desire granted, your needs gratified, you feel happy. Temporary happy. Maybe it is so fragile and insignificant and pointless and not even real. Buddhism mentions the true eternal happiness in Nirvana, but I see it as the death of feelings and emotions, and want to experience both pleasant and unpleasant feeling.
    The simple thinking over trumps the complex thinking in this subject
    Happiness its what it is, there's no "false" happiness, there's happiness, period. Happiness is temporary, of course it is, even the best Human beings feel sadness from time to time, as well as fear, pain, anxiety, agony
    I don't mind if people try to search for the "true Happiness", but won't that search be dumb if there's no true happiness?
    Theoretically, he may be happy when he thinks he found Nirvana, but did he really find Nirvana?
    Doesn't that mean, in a ironic twist, that he's the one who found fake happiness? Happiness from something that doesn't exist?

    A year ago I was more of a Hedonist, 85%, until I came to think, if pleasure is what matters, and we should enjoy it as much as possible, then shouldn't we suffer some pain in this mortal life to receive the bigger and longer pleasure in another world
    What if there's no other world?

    like Heaven or Nirvana, and what is the point?
    What if those don't exist?

    No one can prove those realms don't exist
    No one can prove they do

    or this life is your only life (Samsara and incarnations, etc), then isn't believing that we should enjoy pleasure as much as possible foolish? That doesn't mean we should suffer pain instead. But look, isn't life beautiful? And why? Because it is so unpredictable, there many bad thing can happen to you. That is what makes it more attractive to me than heaven, or any desired world.
    I disagree, because I'm a human being, I like being happy, I dislike being unhappy.
    I'm not saying you aren't a Human being, but I wonder if you are over thinking what's fairly simple

    As you can probably tell, I'm agnostic

  2. #22
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Hidden:

    What is Happiness in Buddhism?

    by Rev. Nobuo Haneda

    Let me discuss one of the most basic questions in our life, “What is happiness?”

    About ten years ago, after a seminar held in a Buddhist temple in Seattle, a university student approached me and said to me, “Dr. Haneda, I am writing a paper on human happiness. I am comparing various religious definitions of happiness. Could you give me a Buddhist definition?” I answered, “If you can forget your individual happiness, that’s the happiness defined in Buddhism. If the issue of your happiness ceases to be an issue, that’s the happiness defined in Buddhism.” Then the student asked me, “How, then, can we forget ourselves, our individual happiness?” I answered him, “If you intentionally attempt to forget yourself or your happiness, you will not be able to do so. But if you encounter something more powerful than yourself something more important than your happiness, then you wifi be able to forget yourself and your happiness.”

    From morning to night, we are concerned with our individual welfare, with questions such as what we should eat and wear. Many of us believe that our happiness depends on how successfully we satisfy those personal needs. But is it really the case that our happiness depends on that? No, I do not think so. Actually, the more self-centered we become, the less happy we become.

    Generally speaking, who is an unhappy person? An unhappy person is a person who cannot forget himself, being always concerned with his individual happiness and welfare. Probably the Buddhist concept of “hell” symbolizes the condition in which one has only himself, only his self-concerns such as what he should eat and wear. Then, who is a happy person? A happy person is the person who can forget himself, his individual happiness. He is so fascinated with something outside himself that he can forget himself. A lover is happy because he is thinking of his girl friend, forgetting himself. An artist is happy because he is absorbed in a creative activity, forgetting himself.

    Now let me further discuss what “happiness” means in Buddhism. The following words of the Zen master Dogen (1200-53) are probably the best definition of human happiness as well as of Buddhism:

    Studying Buddhism means studying the self. Studying the self means forgetting the self Forgetting the self means being attained by [the spirit that is one with] tens of thousands of things.

    —‘Genjo-koan~ Volume in the Shobo-genzo

    The first sentence, “Studying Buddhism means studying the self,” clearly defines Buddhism as nothing but self-examination. However, two ways of understanding the first sentence are possible. Depending on which way of understanding we have, we will end up in taking two totally different directions in Buddhism. The two ways are as follows.

    First way: When a person is told that Buddhism is a way of self-examination, he thinks that he should focus his attention only on the pursuit of his personal happiness. He thinks that he should be exclusively concerned with the issue of his individual salvation all the time. Thinking this way, he deepens his self-love and self-centeredness.

    Second way: When a person is told that Buddhism is a way of self-examination, he focuses his attention on examining the real nature of the self. Then he discovers that the self is nothing worth loving or cherishing. Thinking this way, he becomes less self-attached, less self-centered.

    When we start to study Buddhism, it is often inevitable that we take the first way. We initially study Buddhism because we are concerned with the issue of our individual happiness. But Dogen says that in the course of self-examination, the initial self-centered mentality that seeks individual happiness alone must be transformed. When he says, “Studying the self means forgetting the self,” he indicates that true self-examination should end up in discovering the self as something worth forgetting.

    The most crucial question is “How can we forget the self?” The answer is that we must meet something powerful and overwhelming. Then, what is powerful and overwhelming in Buddhism? It is the spirit of the bodhisattva (the seeker of Buddhahood). Nothing else can make us forget the self. When Dogen says, “Forgetting the self means being attained by [the spirit that is one with] tens of thousands of things,” he means that the self should meet the spirit of the bodhisattva and be replaced by it. Then, what is the spirit of the bodhisattva? Dogen defmes it as follows:

    Awakening “the spirit of the bodhisattva (bodhicitta)” means awakening the aspiration (or vow) that says, “Before I myself cross over to the other shore, I will take all sentient beings across first.”

    —“Hotsu-bodaishin” Volume in the Shobo-genzo

    The bodhisattva spirit is the spirit that is concerned with the happiness of all sentient beings, forgetting his own happiness. This self-forgetting spirit of the bodhisattva is powerful. Only when we meet this spirit and become overwhelmed and permeated by it, can we forget ourselves, our own happiness. We usually do not think it possible to identify with such a noble spirit. But, when we actually meet a person who possesses the powerful bodhisattva spirit and become overwhelmed by it, we can experience a spiritual transformation and can forget the self.

    So long as we seek our own happiness, we will never be able to attain it. But when we meet the bodhisattva spirit, we can forget our own happiness. This self-forgetfulness, however, is actually the experience of our true happiness. This true happiness (or self-forgetfulness) is nothing that we can actively realize or “attain.” it is something that is realized from the side of the Buddha or Dharma, without any recourse to our own practical abilities. That is why Dogen uses the word “attained” in his statement, “Forgetting the self means being attained by [the spirit that is one with] tens of thousands of things.”

    Now let me discuss the same issue within the context of the Jodo Shinshu. The bodhisattva spirit (that aspires to take all sentient beings across first before doing so oneself) is the spiritual basis of the bodhisattva Dharmakara and of his Vow that he made to become Amida Buddha. (The story of the bodhisattva Dharmakara’s becoming Amida Buddha is told in a text called the Larger Sukhavativyuha-sutra.) If I summarize in one sentence the gist of Dharmakara’s Vow, he is saying, “If all sentient beings are not liberated (i.e., if they all do not appear to me as expressions of the truth), I will not attain my liberation.” In his Vow he is expressing his aspiration to “take all sentient beings across first before doing so himself.”

    Dharmakara is not concerned with his own individual liberation. He is concerned with the liberation of all sentient beings, forgetting his own liberation. But his being concerned with all sentient beings’ liberation is actually his liberation. Being able to forget his own liberation is itself his liberation.

    Now let me talk about King Ajatasatru. Shinran Shonin (1173-1262) identified himself with this king. The famous story of King Ajatasatru is told in the Nirvana Sutra.

    King Ajatasatru is a historical example of the most evil person (icchantika). When he was a prince, he killed his father, the king, and usurped his throne. Further, he attempted to kill his mother. Although he did not kill her, he imprisoned her. But later he started to feel tremendous remorse for having committed such hideous transgressions.

    Several spiritual teachers attempted to console Ajatasatru, but his spiritual sickness was not cured. Finally, when Jivaka, a Buddhist physician, advised the king to visit Shakyainuni, he decided to do so. When the king and Jivaka started to travel, the king asked Jivaka to ride on the same elephant because he feared that he might fall off the elephant, die, and go to hell. The king said to Jivaka, ‘Please hold me and keep me from falling. For I have heard in the past that the person who has attained the way does not fall into hell.”

    While the king was traveling to see Shakyamuni, he learned of Shakyamuni’s words, “For the sake of Ajatasatru, I will not enter nirvana.” Jivaka told the king that although Shakyamuni was concerned with the welfare of all sentient beings, he was particularly concerned with people like Ajatasatru, who have committed evil.

    Having learned about the compassionate heart of Shakyamuni, the king was deeply moved. Having recognized the remarkable contrast between Shakyamuni’s mind (that was concerned with the welfare of suffering sentient beings) and his own mind (that was concerned only with his personal welfare), the king became ashamed of himself. When the king met Shakyamuni, he received teachings from him and experienced liberation. He, then, awakened the bodhisattva spirit. He came up with an extraordinary statement, “World-honored one, if I can thoroughly destroy the evil minds of sentient beings, it is all right with me if I were to dwell in the Avici hell constantly for innumerable kalpas, undergoing great suffering for the sake of sentient beings. I would not consider it pain.”

    Initially, when the king was concerned only with his individual welfare, he was afraid of falling into hell. But, now when he had awakened the bodhisattva spirit, he was concerned with the welfare of all sentient beings, forgetting his own welfare. Now he said that he would willingly go into hell if he could help sentient beings.

    The king compares himself to an eranda tree, a tree with the worst odor, and Shakyamuni to a candana tree, a tree with the most exquisite fragrance. He said, “Now for the first time I see a candana tree growing from an eranda seed.” In this way, the king describes the spiritual miracle that he has experienced, having met Shakyamuni.

    Now let me talk about Shinran Shonin. For twenty years, from age nine to twenty nine, Shinran engaged in various practices on Mt. Hiei in an attempt to attain Buddhahood. But those practices did not lead him to Buddhahood. Not only was he unable to become a Buddha, but also he was feeling more and more depressed, frustrated, and miserable as he intensified his practices. He could not understand what was wrong.

    When Shinran was twenty-nine, he met Honen Shonin. It was through this meeting that Shinran was liberated. When Shinran met Honen, he saw in him the bodhisattva spirit of Dharmakara. Honen was permeated with the bodhisattva spirit. He was concerned with the happiness of all sentient beings, forgetting his own happiness. I believe that Honen’s spirit, the self-forgetting spirit, shouted at Shinran this way:

    Shinran, what are you doing? You say that you are seeking Buddhahood. But, after all, aren’t you thinking only about your individual happiness? Aren’t you concerned only with your individual liberation? Shinran, you are dead wrong in your approach. You are just using Buddhism for self-enhancement, for self-love.

    Listening to the voice of Honen, Shinran was deeply shaken by it and recognized his mistake. He realized that he was no different from Ajatasatru. Just like the king who saw the bodhisattva spirit in Shakyamuni and became ashamed of his self-centeredness, Shinran saw the bodhisattva spirit in Honen and became ashamed of his self*centeredness.

    Before Shinran met Honen, Shinran lived in a world of self-love, but he did not know it. Honen’s spirit of the bodhisattva challenged Shinran and made a crack in his world of self-love. Then cool fresh air started to gush into his world. When Shinran experienced the cool fresh air gushing into his world, he realized that he had been living in a world of self-love.

    Honen’s spirit, the cool fresh air, made Shinran recognize that he had been living in “a garbage can” and that the entirety of the self had been nothing but “a garbage can.” He had earlier believed that he could fmd something pure and fragrant in the garbage can and could increase the purity and fragrance. But, now he recognized it was a mistake. He realized that there was only stinkiness in the garbage can. Even what he considered purity in it was another form of stinkiness.

    Thus he no longer considered the self, the garbage can, important. Now he considered the self worth forgetting. Being overwhelmed and permeated by Honen’s spirit, the fresh air, Shinran shifted his focus from the self to the spirit that Honen embodied, from the garbage can to the fresh air. In this way Shinran’s spiritual basis was totally changed.

    Shmran called the spirit of Dharmakara that he saw in Honen “Innermost Aspiration (hongan).” He considered the Power of the Innermost Aspiration (hongan-riki) the most important thing in Buddhism. He believed that it alone could bring about spiritual revolution in human beings and could make them fulfill their lives. He also referred to this power as the Power Beyond the Self (ta-riki) and the Inconceivable Power (fukashigi-riki). Since this power is the basic theme of the Larger Sukhavativyuha-sui~, he considered this sutra the most important text for him.

    Initially, when we are told that Buddhism is a way of self-examination, of self -focusedness, we think that we should pursue our personal liberation. Thus we engage in various practices. Many people continue this orientation throughout their lives and never recognize the deep self-love that exists at the basis of their practices.

    But Buddhist teachers tell us that a radical transformation of our spiritual basis must take place. We must know that our ultimate liberation is not realized through the efforts we make on the basis of self-love. True liberation is nothing we can “attain.” It is realized and “attained” from the side of the Buddha, or the Dharma. We must experience the total transformation of our spiritual basis by encountering the spirit of the bodhisattva.

    As long as the Power of the Innermost Aspiration remains a mere doctrinal concept, it does not mean much to us; we cannot experience any deep spiritual transformation. But if we, like Ajatasatru or Shinran, actually meet a person who has the Power of the Innermost Aspiration, a spiritual revolution that our ego-consciousness would never have considered possible takes place. When we are shaken and overwhelmed by this power, we resonate with it and can forget our individual happiness or liberation. This self-forgetfulness is actually the realization of our true happiness or liberation.



    http://www.seattlebetsuin.com/what_is_happiness.htm

  3. #23

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    when you think about happiness most people would think about their own situation.
    but you could also be happy when someone who you love is happy, even when you have to suffer for that.
    (for example taking a punishment to save someone)

    also happiness can be achieved while hurting other people or distracting them from their way to happiness.
    when it`s the only way to achive your own happiness would you rly mind destryoing other lifes? is it that worth?


    true happiness can`t be achieved whatever you do...
    reaching a goal you had in your life makes you not happy..it feels than like you have done your job--life is boring.
    the journey to your goal also isn`t true happiness cause you think only when i achieve finally my goal it`s complete happiness.
    having no goals at all cause you have everything you want and need also won`t reach to happiness, because for example when you`re able to eat everyday whatever you like you will someday have a disgust to it.


    so afterall i would say to reach happiness aim for other people to make them a bit happy.
    when you make someone happy you will also get happy..and when you make many differnet people happy they may or may not make you on another day happy which makes everyday a new adventure for yourself.

    but to be honest who does rly act like that.
    having sometimes quick happiness in making yourself happy before thinking about others gives you the "kick" for the moment you needed more than in the example i just described.
    happiness is like a drug...taking it from time to time without abusing it could be something good...but as soon as you overdo it or let it be the focus of all your actions it won`t make you happy anymore.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..


  4. #24

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Okay...

    Hidden:
    You Scored as HedonismYour life is guided by the principles of <b>Hedonism</b>: You believe that pleasure is a great, or the greatest, good; and you try to enjoy life’s pleasures as much as you can. <br><br>“Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!” <br><br>More info at <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Arocoun">Arocoun's Wikipedia User Page...</a>


    80% Hedonism
    70% Utilitarianism
    60% Justice (Fairness)
    55% Existentialism
    45% Divine Command
    45% Apathy
    40% Strong Egoism
    25% Nihilism
    5% Kantianism




  5. #25
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by SGRaaize View Post
    What if there's no other world?



    What if those don't exist?



    No one can prove they do
    Yes no one, then why should you be gambling and taking a risk. Assuming either of it is not wise.
    Heaven exists or not, I prefer this life.
    I disagree, because I'm a human being, I like being happy, I dislike being unhappy.
    I'm not saying you aren't a Human being, but I wonder if you are over thinking what's fairly simple
    I am human too. But, you should know that, if you never experience pain, you won't be able to know what is happiness. Haven't people told you that your school life is the best period of your life? When you are at school you probably don't think so. But when you enter the rough life you will begin to think it's true (I am different though, I want to work, but not work, like they say, chosing a job I really love). Everything co-exists, including happiness and unhappiness.

    I dislike being unhappy, but I don't regret being unhappy. It is so wonderful what I learned from those unpleasant experiences. They leads me to a new world. And I expect that I will meet many thing unpleasant in my life, and have the right attitude toward it so that I never lost my direction in life.
    Last edited by Sea; August 6th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.

  6. #26
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In a Berserk, Near-Death State, running around with an Equalizer

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    Yes no one, then why should you be gambling and taking a risk. Assuming either of it is not wise.
    Heaven exists or not, I prefer this life.
    Agreed

    I am human too. But, you should know that, if you never experience pain, you won't be able to know what is happiness. I dislike being unhappy, but I don't regret being unhappy. It is so wonderful what I learned from those unpleasant experiences. They leads me to a new world. And I expect that I will meet many thing unpleasant in my life, and have the right attitude so that I never lost my direction in life.
    Agreed to some degree, I don't wish to be unhappy so that I can happy, although I do agree that you shouldn't be let down by your unhappiness and should use it as a "method" to "keep going"

  7. #27
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    LOL, this thread has become too complicated for me to make an immediate reply like I do when arguing over a children comic book. I think I need to shut off the computer and mediate in the dark.

    I don't wish to be unhappy so that I can happy
    Life is like a box of chocolate. You never know what you gonna get.
    So I don't wish anything. I do my best and wait to see what happens next. That is the most interesting part.
    It's like reading a good manga.
    Thing occurred to me, pleasant or not, I accept it as a fact that happened, and see it as a good experience.

  8. #28
    Toriko's Choice Ass Mrs.RoronoaZoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cardboard box 5

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    My results~
    Spoiler:
    You Scored as Hedonism
    Your life is guided by the principles of Hedonism: You believe that pleasure is a great, or the greatest, good; and you try to enjoy life’s pleasures as much as you can. “Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die!”


    Hedonism
    100%
    Kantianism
    75%
    Strong Egoism
    75%
    Existentialism
    75%
    Justice (Fairness)
    60%
    Nihilism
    60%
    Utilitarianism
    45%
    Apathy
    40%
    Divine Command
    0%

    Yeahhh I gotta look up all of that. I'm a twit. xD
    Except I know that my Nihilism and Apathy should be credited to my moments of depression.

  9. #29
    Acting the Goat Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Pfft... You've got nothing on my Nihilism. So far, according to that quiz, I am the most nihilistic of us all. Ironic, eh?

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887

  10. #30
    Toriko's Choice Ass Mrs.RoronoaZoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cardboard box 5

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    e_e I don't get how I strive for pleasure when my life seems to be nothing but the opposite.

  11. #31

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    You Scored as Nihilism

    Your life is marked by strong Nihilism: You feel that nothing in the world, even your life, has much or any meaning.

    "For out of fear and need each religion is born, creeping into existence on the byways of reason."

    "There are no facts, only interpretations."

    “Every belief, every considering something-true, is necessarily false because there is simply no true world” --Friedrich Nietzsche

    85%
    Nihilism
    60%
    Hedonism
    50%
    Utilitarianism
    45%
    Apathy
    45%
    Strong Egoism
    30%
    Kantianism
    30%
    Justice (Fairness)
    15%
    Existentialism
    10%
    Divine Command
    Last edited by SleepySlug; August 6th, 2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: As you can tell from this quiz, I'm a fun person to be around.


  12. #32
    All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland, USA

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    You Scored as Existentialism

    Your life is guided by the concept of Existentialism: You choose the meaning and purpose of your life.
    “Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.”

    “It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.” --Jean-Paul Sartre

    “It is man's natural sickness to believe that he possesses the Truth.” --Blaise Pascal

    Hedonism
    85%
    Existentialism
    85%
    Utilitarianism
    80%
    Kantianism
    70%
    Apathy
    70%
    Justice (Fairness)
    65%
    Strong Egoism
    40%
    Nihilism
    10%
    Divine Command
    10%

    Oddly enough, I actually tied with Hedonism.

  13. #33
    Discovered Stowaway Das Feierbiest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    On the Stairway to heaven ... or the Highway to hell

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Hedonism 95%
    Utilitarianism
    85%
    Existentialism
    70%
    N
    ihilism
    50%
    Kantianism
    40%
    Justice (Fairness)
    40%
    Apathy 20%
    Strong Egoism
    20%
    Divine Command
    0%


  14. #34
    A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by SleepySlug View Post
    You Scored as Nihilism

    Your life is marked by strong Nihilism: You feel that nothing in the world, even your life, has much or any meaning.

    "For out of fear and need each religion is born, creeping into existence on the byways of reason."

    "There are no facts, only interpretations."

    “Every belief, every considering something-true, is necessarily false because there is simply no true world” --Friedrich Nietzsche

    85%
    Nihilism
    60%
    Hedonism
    50%
    Utilitarianism
    45%
    Apathy
    45%
    Strong Egoism
    30%
    Kantianism
    30%
    Justice (Fairness)
    15%
    Existentialism
    10%
    Divine Command
    When it comes to nihilism the difference between being a fool and not is what you answered question 31. What did you answer?

    I scored existentialist btw.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()


  15. #35
    Acting the Goat Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by SleepySlug View Post
    You Scored as Nihilism

    Your life is marked by strong Nihilism: You feel that nothing in the world, even your life, has much or any meaning.

    "For out of fear and need each religion is born, creeping into existence on the byways of reason."

    "There are no facts, only interpretations."

    “Every belief, every considering something-true, is necessarily false because there is simply no true world” --Friedrich Nietzsche

    85%
    Nihilism
    60%
    Hedonism
    50%
    Utilitarianism
    45%
    Apathy
    45%
    Strong Egoism
    30%
    Kantianism
    30%
    Justice (Fairness)
    15%
    Existentialism
    10%
    Divine Command
    Looks like I've just been annihilated!


    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    When it comes to nihilism the difference between being a fool and not is what you answered question 31. What did you answer?

    I scored existentialist btw.
    Which question is that again? I'm curious, but the questions on each page flip around randomly each time you load it.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887

  16. #36
    A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Oh do they?

    Basically it's asking whether regardless of a lack of divine or innate purpose, can people make their own lives full. Something to that extent.

    Secular-Humanism is ultimately the only thing Nihilism can't pout to death.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()


  17. #37
    Acting the Goat Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Yeah, disagreeing with that is denying fact. Even if there is no meaning, relative meaning always exists and chances are that, if you haven't killed yourself, you've already found it.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887

  18. #38
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In a Berserk, Near-Death State, running around with an Equalizer

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    It still annoys me how I have Kantianism and Utilitarianism above Nihilism, what the hell

  19. #39

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    You Scored as Existentialism
    Your life is guided by the concept of <b>Existentialism</b>: You choose the meaning and purpose of your life. <br><br>“Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.” <br>“It is up to you to give [life] a meaning.” <br>--Jean-Paul Sartre <br><br>“It is man's natural sickness to believe that he possesses the Truth.” <br>--Blaise Pascal <br><br>More info at <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Arocoun">Arocoun's Wikipedia User Page...</a>


    Existentialism
    70%
    Utilitarianism
    40%
    Nihilism
    40%
    Justice (Fairness)
    35%
    Hedonism
    20%
    Strong Egoism
    20%
    Kantianism
    20%
    Apathy
    0%
    Divine Command
    0%

    Seems about right.
    Most philosophical books I read deal with Extentialism and Nihilism anyway, so it seems that those shaped my views the most.
    The God questions were really repetitive on this quiz though, and I feel that if they had put in a question that wasn't based off of conventional Gods that people worship today, my "Divine Command" section wouldn't be at a pitiful 0%.

    This is sort of a shitty quiz.

  20. #40

    Default Re: General Philosophy discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Basically it's asking whether regardless of a lack of divine or innate purpose, can people make their own lives full. Something to that extent.

    Secular-Humanism is ultimately the only thing Nihilism can't pout to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Yeah, disagreeing with that is denying fact. Even if there is no meaning, relative meaning always exists and chances are that, if you haven't killed yourself, you've already found it.
    Clearly, some people do find what they consider to be meaning in life. So, yes, in the face of nothingness, people can assign themselves purpose. A purpose that they find meaningful. I don't deny that.

    That said, I don't think that the existentialist's 'relative meaning' is needed to be alive. The fact is you can live a long time without a 'purpose'. It's sad and lonely but it can be done. After all, to a nihilist, why bother to kill yourself? Really? You'll be dead in less than a century. All of the pain, sadness, and longing between now and then is just meaningless ephemeral noise....

    To them, life is a long tiresome movie to be sat through. You wait for the ending not out of curiosity but because you have nowhere else to go. 'Relative meaning' is just another way to pass time...

    I'm not sure if I believe anything quite that extreme, but that's how a more devoted nihilist might view the world.
    Last edited by SleepySlug; August 6th, 2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Told you I was fun.


+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts