+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: L.A. Noire

Default L.A. Noire

[youtube]tO0W27D1TrY[/youtube]

Surprised there wasn't a thread already. I must say I'm not all that "excited" about the game, but neither was I Red Dead Redemption, and we all know how great that turned out. So I'm definitely looking forward to play this ASAP. My only hope is the detective aspect of the game doesn't get too cryptic and challenging and ultimately proves to be a headache/walkthrough fest.

Default Re: L.A. Noire

Damn that facial scanning is cool.

The expressions they make are fucking crazy.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how creative they get with the detective concept.

Lookin' good.

I think this looks great. I remember the original GI previews about 8-10 months ago, thought the setting was cool, then when they started showing videos in action with the facial tech I got REALLY interested, and the latest bits showing more of the open-world and detective portions is bringing it home.

All I hope is that they don't go overboard with the empty, miscellaneous open-world shit. The strength of this game should be solving crimes so I hope they're putting like 95% of the content into an incredibly solid story campaign.

I just hope it avoids the same pitfalls that both Mafia 2 and Red Dead Redemption fell victim to.

It's not open world like those others are...

"Though L.A. Noire is an open-world game (explore L.A. if you like, see the sights, admire the pedestrians), there aren't mini-games to be played or side quests to complete or pigeons to shoot.* L.A. Noire is a far more linear game, that puts an emphasis on the journey, moreso than the destination, and one where the narrative and the characters take a central role, with far fewer distractions."

I love detective stuff in games...there don't seem to be many of those. I'm definitely excited for it.

I've been looking forward to this since I heard the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekkie View Post
    "Though L.A. Noire is an open-world game (explore L.A. if you like, see the sights, admire the pedestrians), there aren't mini-games to be played or side quests to complete or pigeons to shoot.* L.A. Noire is a far more linear game, that puts an emphasis on the journey, moreso than the destination, and one where the narrative and the characters take a central role, with far fewer distractions."
    Awesome. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Discovered Stowaway taiyou-burst's Avatar
    Departing a land, with islands called destiny

My cousin, M. Coote, is one of the people working on the cut-scenes. He tells me that the 360 version will be coming in two disks, and that the scene he's been working on, is a real b*tch

Yeah I can't wait for this. It's probably the most original looking game I've anticipated in a long time.

Plus Kenny Cosgrove (Aaron Staten) is the main character. You can't beat that.

EDIT: Holy shit, Harry Crane's in this too
    buttcheeks

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Whenever I see this games title I think of Discworld Noir.

Looking forward to this.

Haha YES! The black sheep of Discworld games. still pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekkie View Post
    It's not open world like those others are...

I love detective stuff in games...there don't seem to be many of those. I'm definitely excited for it.
    Wait, what? NO sidequests? How can there be no sidequests? You're telling me all you do in this entire city is follow the story line? No, that can't be right. There must be side things you can do, like solving random crimes, stopping criminals, etc.

If it turns out to be linear, then I don't see much sense to do anything other than rent this, if there's not crap to do outside the main story line like in RDR then there's no replay value.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    Wait, what? NO sidequests? How can there be no sidequests? You're telling me all you do in this entire city is follow the story line? No, that can't be right. There must be side things you can do, like solving random crimes, stopping criminals, etc.

If it turns out to be linear, then I don't see much sense to do anything other than rent this, if there's not crap to do outside the main story line like in RDR then there's no replay value.
    That news you quoted goes contrary to the news and interviews I've seen regarding this game. While the game will be more linear than GTA games and Red Dead, I've heard that there are some side missions in the game, specifically mentioning helping policemen capture criminals.

Since this is "suppose" to be a noir game, there should be the option of doing illegal assignments or getting involved with the crime syndicate. There should be some morally ambiguous decisions to be made or side missions to do.

My main concern is that they get the "noir" aspect of of the game right, and don't consider the game noir just because the guy is a detective in the 1940s. However, Rockstar is anything but the straight and narrow regarding the good guys and the bad guys, so I hope they do deliver.

I'd rather there be less sidequests. RDR is fun, but exhausting. I was hoping for something with a little more solidity to it, so I'm extra excited due to that aspect.
    buttcheeks

Inb4 the lying part consists of you having a button you can press when you think someone is lying and each time a person lies, he always does an incredibly obvious derpy face, so that its almost impossible for you not to find out he's lying

Game sounds pretty interesting, I love the Noir theme

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightRift View Post
    Inb4 the lying part consists of you having a button you can press when you think someone is lying and each time a person lies, he always does an incredibly obvious derpy face, so that its almost impossible for you not to find out he's lying

Game sounds pretty interesting, I love the Noir theme
    Well... yeah. Otherwise it'd just be a guessing game. I bet they do get tougher to see through as the game gets along tho, the last couple of people you probably will have to play the guessing game with.

I don't like the gimmick of watching faces, I like it when you have to use logic, I hope that the faces are just a nice bonus, and only that.

Maybe the faces are a sign that they are lying, and then you have to try to find out by yourself on how they are lying, the truth and a way to prove it.

But we all know its just gonna be "You think derpy face #512 is lying? Derp derp, you were right, now watch a cutscene where he breaks down and admits everything"

The Mountain That Drinks. Steven D. Teach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Yeah I can't wait for this. It's probably the most original looking game I've anticipated in a long time.

Plus Kenny Cosgrove (Aaron Staten) is the main character. You can't beat that.

EDIT: Holy shit, Harry Crane's in this too
    I'm for anything that combines Mad Men and Chinatown.

I'm really excited for this game. I almost had a heart attack just now when I saw a commercial for the game that made it seem like a Playstation 3 exclusive lol.

I was just reading twitter and Hideo Kojima says it's the one game he's looking forward to most and he wholeheartedly believes it's gonna be a game changer. That's some hype right there.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information