+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ni no Kuni

Default Re: Ni no Kuni

Hehe. Metal Slime is the better analogy, since they give loads of experience (though their evolved forms give way more and are better for grinding later on). Tokos are only found on that small isle though. Also somewhat in response to your previous post, you should evolve your Whambat into Captain Whamtastic. Best. Familiar. Ever. Not his stats just him.

I had some random luck with Tokos. Tended to get them in runs of three or four and the nothing for half an hour.

There are also some evolved versions in the last story dungeon that give insane XP.

And shortly after I posted that I found another Toko and killed it and got 3,000 exp... which confirmed my suspicion. Then I found another immediatley and caught it! And it's... 14,000 exp to get to level TWO? In its FIRST form? ...I know a long-term effort eventually broken monster when I see one.

Time to find a place for it to sit in the back of someone's group...

Also caught a Kipper (yaye) which means Plessie, Dinocerous and Lumberwood are the only remaining things I know of that I want... but I have nooo space for them. Oh, and Sasquatch looks cute too but... I have to settle on a team eventually or I'll never level properly... Its my usual pokemon problem, I just want to use EVERYTHING and I'm hard pressed to give up old stuff...

Most of the monsters I've been using and intend to keep till end-game are in their third forms now... though I'm holding off on some of them because full evolution stones are a rare commodity at this point.

Oliver-Duck Billed Bopper , Toko, Splatterhorn
    Esther-Kipper, Grimray, Prohawk
    Swaine-beachhead, Iron-Man, Trappersnapper
    reserves-skeleton, Puss-in_boats, Shonky-Honker

Kipper caught my interest because it was cute... and it has a move it doesn't learn until level 48!

I ditched the Baabarian because despite how long I had it on the team it was just refusing to learn a second move slot so it's usefulness was severely limited and its stats weren't very good... and the ray and Kipper learned Rock-a-bye, which is what I was waiting on the sheep's third form for. Bannana buncher, while still a great tank and a bit ahead of other things, was falling behind and it was no longer really outstanding at it. Puss in boats and the skeleton are both great, but there's a *lot* of overlap in my group currently. Like 5 different things have "ray of light" for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    you should evolve your Whambat into Captain Whamtastic. Best. Familiar. Ever. Not his stats just him.
    I want to and probably will once I have a steadier supply of evolving orbs. Boogie ghost thing turning into elton john is pretty great too.
    Last edited by Robby; February 27th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

You caught a Toko on the second try? You should consider yourself very, very lucky.

Toko's required level for evolution is pretty low, so it's not quite as daunting a task as it seems. Has pretty insane evasion. Plus, well...It's Totoro. I didn't even need him but I had to get him for that reason.

Did you get to the Toko Island with the ship or through...other means?

I would love it if this game did well enough to franchise and get a couple sequels and another bunch of monsters. Same game mechanics and art style, (they can reuse some of the assets like trees and grass and water and such...) but new protagonist and story. (Or even following up this one... I obviously haven't reached the end yet, but...)

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    You caught a Toko on the second try? You should consider yourself very, very lucky.
    Third, technically, since the first ran away. But yeah, I assume so, I had figured it would be super low odds one I realized it was a metal slime, and was AMAZED when I got hearts on the second one. I named it Tokoro.

Toko's required level for evolution is pretty low, so it's not quite as daunting a task as it seems. Has pretty insane evasion.
    Hrm. Maybe he can replace Prohawk eventually. Who I really like but... its main thing is evasion and stat and move wise its not offering much at this point.

Plus, well...It's Totoro. I didn't even need him but I had to get him for that reason.
    Yeah... pretty much. Totoro bat is the same way... though its last forms are much less Totoro-esque.

Did you get to the Toko Island with the ship or through...other means?
    The game (and my levels) finally reached a point where I can explore and sail around the world without being destroyed, so I'm doing that and trying to fill out my roster and level some random monsters rather than hunting down the sky captain. There were several things I wanted that the book said were "on the island north/south of X" so I've been hunting for those. Still want to get a plessie, (I've seen a few) then I'll probably move on with the story.

And no, I don't have those... other means... yet, though the opening demo gives away what you're talking about.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Got a few changes on my team. Currently around level 40. Finished the Hamelin quest part. I know im overlevelled for the most part.
    Team is:

Oliver : Puss in Boats, Wattee, (will likely change for something better once I start finding Dragons) Lagoon Naiad
    Esther: Captain Whamtastic, Hot-Air Balloonatic, Fluorongo (trying to catch a Willowood or whatever its called to replaced Balloon)
    Swaine: Bonehead, Paleolith, Girlfiend.

Swaine needs to have some evolve, I'm just holding out since I'm essentially grinding atm. Might aswell get them as powerful as possible in the meantime lol.

Barely touched the Achemy. Just cannot find anyone who will give the stuff. I know I got the Wizards Book with the special edition but it's a chore to look everything up so much lol (I really feel sorry for those who have to manually use this via the game menu tho.)
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

The moment when you attain said "other means" in the game tapped into some vast reservoir of RPG sentimentality. Was one of my favorite moments in games for the past year.

The Toko line maxes at very low level (final form maxes at 8, others at 5 I think) so the overall total experience for maxing probably isn't higher. They are tricky to use in battle due to very low physical defense and the "Evade" move, but they have quite high magical defense and offense, and evasion, well. Let's just say mine has 999 in that stat. That essentially means the only way they ever take damage is physical tricks, because regular attacks will rarely land.

The Toko line maxes at very low level (final form maxes at 8, others at 5 I think) so the overall total experience for maxing probably isn't higher. They are tricky to use in battle due to very low physical defense and the "Evade" move, but they have quite high magical defense and offense, and evasion, well. Let's just say mine has 999 in that stat. That essentially means the only way they ever take damage is physical tricks, because regular attacks will rarely land.
    *whistles* Well, that certainley puts Prohawk to shame. Granted, mine is still only around level 30, but... given that's its main appeal... (and the design...) that may be the next thing cut once I get a plessie/dinosaur/tree monster/whatever looks cool.

Spent the last two hours trying to catch a stupid water dragon. Made much harder by the fact that water monsters only have one overworld image and its harder to tell where territories divide. I fought about 30 of them and no luck... though I've gotten two or three of EVERYTHING ELSE in the area. (Making up for the easish Toko yesterday I suppose.) In the process tho Toko went up one level. Its hilarious to see most of the stats only go up a couple points... but then magic defense and evasion jump 80 apiece. )Of course its NEXT level is 34,000...)

Probably gonna give up on Plessie soon. Didn't need it for super team balance or anything, and I've already got all the moves it learns on other things, I just wanted it.

Plessie is elusive for whatever reason. I also had to fight a LOT of them to catch two (for completion purposes). But as you say, water mobs in general are just annoying to hunt. Good luck with that Toko. I am still missing one level on my gold Tokotocold (3rd form) because it takes 303k.

How do you get *gold* ones? They just things that appear in a particular dungeon later? I know a gold hurley was a dlc thingie that came with something. And is there some sort of stat difference, or are they just gold?

ANy event, I finally caught a damn plessie. The frustration of catching it has diminished the return on it being cute somewhat, but I'll be using it for a while anyway. Finally on with the story after this! (Mostly leaves dinosaur and umberwood)

Eventually I should stop evolving things so soon and letting them get to max, since my team can carry itself now, but... eh. I don't care about the min-maxing so much. (Though obviously the Toko I'll go the long road.)

I got Mite and Drongo golds with the game. I think the other golds appear post game.

Finally got my Umberwood today. Was a pain to get, mainly cus only one appears on the map at a time, so you gotta keep on going to the nearest city and then back
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    How do you get *gold* ones? They just things that appear in a particular dungeon later? I know a gold hurley was a dlc thingie that came with something. And is there some sort of stat difference, or are they just gold?

ANy event, I finally caught a damn plessie. The frustration of catching it has diminished the return on it being cute somewhat, but I'll be using it for a while anyway. Finally on with the story after this! (Mostly leaves dinosaur and umberwood)

Eventually I should stop evolving things so soon and letting them get to max, since my team can carry itself now, but... eh. I don't care about the min-maxing so much. (Though obviously the Toko I'll go the long road.)
    - Once you beat the game, rare golden Imajinn will appear in every dungeon. They all drop new super rare materials, and they can be recruited and evolved as normal.

Xbox: Gaiyae
    Psn id:
    Gaiyae
    3ds FC: 3609 - 1026 - 9535

Apart from Mite, Drongo and Hurly, golds are all found post-game in various dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    I got Mite and Drongo golds with the game. I think the other golds appear post game.

Finally got my Umberwood today. Was a pain to get, mainly cus only one appears on the map at a time, so you gotta keep on going to the nearest city and then back
    Just use Gateway as soon as you finish battle. You'll get instant respawns.

And now I'm addicted to playing Platoon. It's just... so winnable.

And the flying theme really is pretty great.
    Last edited by Robby; March 1st, 2013 at 12:19 AM.

The AI is really exploitable in Platoon, which I can describe if you want. I've won the max number of consecutive rounds (6) multiple times, with my prediction always winning and hers always losing. That's 1.6 million chips in just a few minutes.

The AI is really exploitable in Platoon, which I can describe if you want.
    I've figured out most of the quirks I think. A bad hand can screw you up obviously, but in general as long as you can make piles of 20, you don't hit her first two rows (where she hides most of the wild cards) , and there aren't too many jokers, it seems to work out. I've done four rounds in a row a couple times now, but then I chicken out. If six is the max I guess I'll go for that.

And an Ace/Joker combo is great because it'll usually win... by giving her the bad hand. Though BOTH sides having jokers sucks... the weird thing is when she pairs king with Joker.

Yup the main thing is she puts all Kings/Aces/Jokers to the left. If you get a stack with all regular cards, it's guaranteed that everything to the right will also be normal. If you get dealt a crap hand you can always try throwing a single ace at the leftmost or second-to-left stack. Often it will end up getting swapped or beat a king.

Did the trio of bosses quest. Kinda felt that the main part of the game has reached it's limit, like most JRPGs do once you get access to everything, they all felt like 'go here. Easy and Short dungeon. Go there, rinse and repeat.' and not so fun.

Although I'm nearing lvl 50 now so likely overlevelled lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information