+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Ni no Kuni

Default Re: Ni no Kuni

I just finished Chapter 6, the first chapter for which I felt a bit underleveled on.

Game is still fun, but, as Foolio said, there are just a few too many whistles and bells and a lot of the gameplay elements end up getting buried under some of the others.

Oh, and I just do not care at all for the skirmish battles. They go on too long and I feel no sense of strategy or accomplishment from doing them.

on Foolio's point, the resources/time needed to upgrade the weapon and armor shop, for example, don't scale at all to match game progression, so I never ever needed better equipment from the shop. Just picked it up in the field.

Yeah, I practically haven't touched those facilities. Some dumb NPC wants me to craft 25 armor/accessory items so I tried to care, but didn't make it to 25. It's ridiculous that you have to spend all these ingredients and money for gear, which can then be infused with extra ingredients to add extra buffs, AND can be upgraded multiple times. Or, I could just use stuff I found and be fine. Also, there's that one building whose entire purpose is to remove curses from weapons. I'm near the endgame an I don't even know what a cursed weapon is. Better spells is another thing I appreciate but it's just so much work to get new ones and then level them up. The one spell I actually want, which revives fallen allies, requires a material I don't have.

I will say I do think the whole Dreamer's Maze thing is a neat distraction without being terribly convoluted. I wish they didn't all feel so generic though; I'm even wondering if they're procedurally generated. And investing in upgrades to make those easier is actually kinda neat, if still rather pointless.

While I'm ranting, can I complain about the world map? It seems like only very small portions of it are actually used for story purposes, and the rest just feels kinda tedious and random to explore, including all the underwhelming caves and shrines and such. It's very poorly designed in that for a long time you basically can't go anywhere, and then suddenly you can go everywhere without much guidance. The first game had dungeons and towns on every continent, which helped a lot, and then tons of smaller islands and such to explore for minor rewards. And you could get most places with just a boat. This game just has big land masses and an empty ocean. Even simple things like hidden groves in the first game were fun because they would be marked in the Wizard's Companion, which was cool to read. This game has... the Leaflet system? Which I don't think I've looked at in 20 hours.

It's a game with a strong start that exhausts its goodwill relatively quick. I really thought after upgrading the kingdom the second time I'd be gearing up for endgame and all those things I hadn't bothered with would become more important and nuanced. They...didn't.

Looking back after finishing it and starting the post-game (and abandoning it pretty quick), think NNK1 was a superior game, even with its significant flaws.

What kind of post-game content is there? Despite all my complaints, my completionist side is still winning out right now. Although at some point I'll just have to look up where to find the metric shitton of different materials required for things.

well, there's cleaning up the skirmishes (bleh), a handful of last citizen recruits to finish off the kingdom, finishing off the Dreamer's Doors, Tainted Monsters, clearing out all the research, getting all the Pikmin, etc. Think there's also an extra Final Dreamer's Door with a boss that requires being level 90-100 to have a chance. But there's nothing new, per se. Just further iterations of the same thing, which, again, is the problem of the whole game since the first half ends.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Despite all my complaints, my completionist side is still winning out right now.
    (also, just get Ys VIII instead)

(at this point, Nihon Falcom should just pay me)

Huh, that's disappointing. I assumed there would at least be as much post-game content as the first time around. How do you even grind your level up that high? I'm like level 52-ish right now and even if I fight giant monsters 10-15 levels above me, I get just a tiny fraction of my gauge filled per battle. And that's with the highest experience buff from the kingdom and everything tilted toward experience in the tactics tweaker.

Huh, that's disappointing. I assumed there would at least be as much post-game content as the first time around. How do you even grind your level up that high? I'm like level 52-ish right now and even if I fight giant monsters 10-15 levels above me, I get just a tiny fraction of my gauge filled per battle. And that's with the highest experience buff from the kingdom and everything tilted toward experience in the tactics tweaker.
    From what I understand, clearing out the Tainted Monsters does a big chunk of it. But yeah, once I saw that, I was done with my playthrough. Also, the last Kingdom Upgrade does practically nothing.

I finished with this game last week platting it. I enjoyed my time with it but mulling it over I think I still like the first one better. I think in many ways NNK2 took away from some of its strongest points and allocated those to its weaker aspects, some of it likely unintentionally.
    I've seen a lot of "it's less charming than the first game" and I probably agree with that but not necessarily with the reason given that it's less ghibli as that to me seems rather vague. For me a lot of charm was lost with NNK2 being a game that seemingly had quite a bit less of a budget than NNK1. A big one is that the game seems to have way less animation work overall. I compared the cutscenes a bit and had a look and the imajinn work and I feel relatively confident that this is true. Then of course the inconsistent voice work(I played in JP).
    But I think the biggest issue is with the story. I think Evan's journey to essentially achieve world peace doesn't blend in as well for me with the world it builds. Many complex issues get solved in rather naive ways and many interesting themes don't get enough stuff to really flesh them out. I really liked a lot of the things happening with the fourth city but I wish we could have seen more on how things got to that point and why it was possible for that king to lose trust after receiving so much goodwill.

I feel the first game being essentially just a story about a boy trying to rescue his mother but actually rescues himself by becoming strong enough to go on without her during that journey gets away much better story wise with its more childlike world views/tone and doesn't suffer from the same dissonance I felt whenever Evan solves everything with hope.
    That said I do also understand that this probably isn't a real issue for a younger audience playing(weirdly the game actually doesn't have furigana support like the first game so I guess they gave up on that audience in Japan).

Lastly some nagging. The whole magic upgrade shop is atrocious and makes me question if it was tested. Having to see that 5 sec animation before you can upgrade every time is super annoying. The way some Kingdom upgrades are given out is nonsensical. Having KG capacity as pretty much your most expensive and last upgrade is pretty dumb given that it serves no function at that point. I also think the game could have felt a bit better if they allowed more interactivity between chaining your light and heavy attack. You can go from light into heavy but not from heavy into light this creates a kind of control inconsistency I think that makes combat a little bit less smooth than it could be.

Oh last but not least I hate that a big part of the kingdom building system is waiting for timers to go down.
    I can't stand that as a design choice at all. That somehow passive "waiting" has crept its way into games like this sucks.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; April 13th, 2018 at 09:11 AM.

I'm in the postgame now and I'm finding it hard to keep caring. Finishing up would mostly involve looking up various items I don't know how to obtain and areas I missed, and grinding out the skirmish battles. The latest thing I noticed which really pissed me off is that whether non-quest skirmishes show up on the world map is seemingly RNG. I can warp to the same area over and over, and each time it populates a different configuration of skirmishes. This means I can go by an area where it looks like I've done everything but if I come back later there are uncompleted skirmishes. This is especially annoying since my squad is like level 37 so I still come across some of them that I can't take on.

The story and ending kinda sucked, and I can't believe they pulled the EXACT SAME fucking big plot twist as the first game. Then another completely meaningless one before the credits. Nothing about the narrative or world is compelling like it was in the first game, and the enemy variety is atrocious.

One thing I'm kind of curious about though; what party members do you guys use in battle? I decided fairly soon after having a full party that I'd go with Evan, Bracken and Leander. No weapon overlaps and a pretty strong focus on ranged attacking/magic, because those things are kinda OP. Bracken's heal skill is also probably the best one in the game; it's too bad she literally never uses it when AI-controlled. The AI still does really dumb shit constantly like wasting magic and running into huge AOE attacks. For actually hard battles I sometimes have to keep switching party members mid-battle just to keep them alive.

I use Evan, Roland, Tani. But to be honest for endgame it was just Tani. The AI is like super awful I never felt like it was even worth reviving them just useless consumable drain so my endgame was a lot of solo Tani. I favor her mostly cause she feels the fastest + her thunder magic wrecks whenever a golden ball finds its way to her. I also use a Higgle Knight setup that allows for up to 4 knight to be on the field which made fights against the less mobile endgame tainted monsters a lot more bearable.

I don't know I think stuff is really badly balanced in general but I still had quite a bit of fun trying to beat the endgame enemies which can be really unfairly tough. A lot of dumb one shot skills among them. Also for leveling I was level 65 after finishing all available quest and doing the first 50 tainted monsters. Once you do those you get another 10 and among those is a fairy enemy (Horraura) that summons little fairies in the fight. Those actually give insane exp. I leveled up like 15 levels just from that. The trick was escaping once you get her close to death which resets the fight. Will say though the first few levels like form 65-72 are like super brutal. Taking even one summoned fairy down was really rough.

Also skirmishes suck. I lucked out a bit and seemingly had 40 already done by just organically playing by the end of the game. But your only way to find your way around is trying to gain a feeling of the Skirmish flag map positioning. They slightly differ except the one right above Evermoore which is a Skirmish that has 7 parts to it with the next part replacing the old one after you beat it. Also don't worry about taking skirmishes on. You actually don't lose anything by failing a skirmish. The way I did it was just doing it until I succeeded cause when your super underleveled squad kills a skirmish squad of way higher level it levels up crazy. I think I did a level 50 skirmish at one point with level 30 squard failed 2 times but at the third try my squad was like level 44 and beat it easily.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; April 13th, 2018 at 09:53 AM.

One thing I'm kind of curious about though; what party members do you guys use in battle?
    I just go with whichever ones are underleveled, so usually Tani and Batu. Not that it makes much difference since the exp gain difference between active and reserve members is utterly miniscule.

Yeah, I lost motivation. The first game had some grindy stuff post-game, especially recipes, but it was all pretty limited in scope and I was fine doing it due to how much I loved the game. This time I just finally decided it's not worth my time when I have other games to play.
    Last edited by Foolio; April 14th, 2018 at 04:44 PM.

Yeah, I lost motivation. The first game had some grindy stuff post-game, especially recipes, but it was all pretty limited in scope and I was fine doing it due to how much I loved the game. This time I just finally decided it's not worth my time when I have other game to play.
    Yep yep.

*cough*

Ys VIII.
    Hang in there, Kierkegaard.

Yeah I looked into it... again, if I can even make time for more games XD.

Jesus the smelly shoes thing took me 3 days to drop, really enjoying the game but rng gods weren't with me...

Quote Originally Posted by Shezar View Post
    Jesus the smelly shoes thing took me 3 days to drop, really enjoying the game but rng gods weren't with me...
    I'm guessing it's even harder if you have the kingdom upgrades to increase drop rarity. It's one of the quests I didn't finish actually. Not interested in that nonsense.

I'm reminded of when I played FF8 and just for fun I put like, Ultima magic into my luck stat. For fun. Then later in the game I went around trying to grind a simple part so I could upgrade one of my weapons.

I spent an hour looking for it, killing tons and tons of monsters. I kept getting loot, but never the part I needed. I wondered "what the heck is the drop rate on this?" I looked it up... it was actually THE most common drop. I'd been only getting the rare and super rare things.

I realized what I had done, unjunctioned my luck stat and got the common item next drop.

Unfortunately you can't turn off your upgrade bonuses. The best you can do is tilt your tactic tweaker away from rare gear.

I'm on Chapter 9 and I don't think I've ever gotten any stinky boots. I make a habit of holding onto most of my gear for situations just like this.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information