+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Default Re: Game of Thrones

Is it worth it with the knowledge that it might never be finished?

is Stolen

Quote Originally Posted by George R.R. Martin
    "Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12."
    Expect an asteroid strike July 11th.

Live it up while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    hope dies last! (it is)

(anyone else bothered by Daenerys brown eyebrows?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Honestly yes. I would recommend these books 100% based on what's already been written. The ride you experience while reading them is simply fantastic.

honk honk<-foxes say this Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

Coming from someone who JUST picked up the first book, this is fantastic news. I'm engrossed with this series.

I'd also imagine we'd get the last two books soon. If the series proves successful, they'd be airing "Season 6" in 2016.

Yes, I know. You've all seen publication dates before: dates in 2007, 2008, 2009. None of those were ever hard dates, however. Most of them... well, call it wishful thinking, boundless optimism, cockeyed dreams, honest mistakes, whatever you like.

This date is different. This date is real.

Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12. I hope you like it.
    Hidden:

Is my day made?

Why, yes. Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dpara View Post
    (anyone else bothered by Daenerys brown eyebrows?)
    Yeah, I never like that sort of cosmetic discrepancy personally, but in truth I figure it's not that big of a deal in the long run. Same with her hair, which is clearly blonde instead of silver-blonde. I also noticed in the preview that the dragon skulls under the Red Keep were white when they should be black, but hey. It takes the longtime fans out of the moment a bit, but I'm sure the producers are doing the best they can. I doubt the television series can deliver the same level of enrichment that the books can anyway--the budget limitations alone would be enough to hold the series back in that regard. I'm still quite eager to seen what they've done with the series, these limitations notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucklepants Fallupface View Post
    I'd also imagine we'd get the last two books soon.
    Dunno about that. As the series has progressed both the books, and the amount of time the author spends writing them, have been getting longer. If ADWD is released on time, then it will be almost 6 years fans have waited since the publication of A Feast for Crows, if I recall correctly. I sincerely hope that the final two books will not take him another 12 years in total to complete, because I'm frankly concerned that he'll be dead by then.

Well. Hope springs eternal.

a mood come alive.

I figured that perhaps the primary reason for Book 5's delay might have been the TV series? They've been working on it since 2007, no? Perhaps it took a significant amount of work and now that casting is done and the series is on its feet, maybe the author can devote his time to finishing it?

Just wishful thinking, as I'll probably be done with Book 4 by the release of Book 5. Perhaps even before the show airs. :)

I figured that perhaps the primary reason for Book 5's delay might have been the TV series? They've been working on it since 2007, no? Perhaps it took a significant amount of work and now that casting is done and the series is on its feet, maybe the author can devote his time to finishing it?
    Well, I was rather under the impression that the two main reasons for the book's delay was first, the 5-year time skip that Martin spent a year or so writing that he eventually scrapped, and then the "Meereenese knot" that he's been referring to consistently in his blog for quite some time (you're still in the first book, but you'll learn more about that later on in the story). I'm sure he's been involved in the production of the series, but to what extent, I am uncertain. I know he didn't have much, if any, say in the casting decisions and such, as he plainly said so in one of his blog entries (apparently people were sending him recommendations & he wanted to clarify his lack of involvement in that area). I also know he's taken time to attend several book signings and conventions, and he's been sick on and off throughout the years as well, which I'm sure accounts for some of the delay. But in essence, I think he's just a slow writer with a huge story to write, so I expect the remaining books will take a comparable amount of time to complete as well--especially if they're as large as the last couple of installments. But if he happens to speed it up a bit for whatever reason, why, that would be just fine as well. ^^

Just wishful thinking, as I'll probably be done with Book 4 by the release of Book 5. Perhaps even before the show airs. :)
    Good luck, Kitsu! The story only get more deep and engrossing from here. Glad you're enjoying it so far--it's quite the journey.

a mood come alive.

Quick question: If I liked Wheel of Time/The Dark Tower/Harry Potter/His Dark Materials/any sort of long series, will I like this? I'll need new material after Sanderson is done.

I figured that perhaps the primary reason for Book 5's delay might have been the TV series?
    The problem is he swore up and down he was writing 4 and 5 at the same time, and that 5 would come out 6 months-1 year after book 4.

It'll now be six by the time it comes out. I may have to reread the whole thing.

Thinking about it, I haven't read Wheel of Time since then either. Hrm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles the Dark View Post
    Quick question: If I liked Wheel of Time/The Dark Tower/Harry Potter/His Dark Materials/any sort of long series, will I like this? I'll need new material after Sanderson is done.
    It pretty much blows them away and you will never be able to go back to them.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

Had a Barnes and Noble gift card lying around from Christmas.
    Finally used it. Got 'Game of Thrones' and 'Atomic Robo and the Other Strangeness'.
    Yes.

Nice, Cuddles!

I'm on page 220 or so of the book now, just got past Samwell's introduction. I'm looking forward to his development, if he's not a total side character. :)

Cuddles: it's a great series and I highly recommend it, but you should be warned that if you do blaze through the four--soon to be five--massive books in a hurry (admittedly not hard to do, it's a pageturner for sure) you will likely be stuck in the same agonizing boat that all of the series' fans are, waiting for Martin to make his painfully, apologetically slow progress on the next one.

I'd almost caution you to wait a few years until the end is in sight, but with the HBO series starting, it's going to absolutely explode, and for better or worse, this is the kind of series that has many many SHOCKING moments which are mindblowingly awesome if you wander into them unaware, but tragically easy to spoil for yourself or others if you follow the fanbase online in any way.

New HBO trailer exclusive on Entertainment Weekly:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/

Finally, some footage of the Wall (which does indeed look amazing) and even a brief glimpse of the wights. Slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles the Dark View Post
    Had a Barnes and Noble gift card lying around from Christmas.
    Finally used it. Got 'Game of Thrones' and 'Atomic Robo and the Other Strangeness'.
    Yes.
    Excellent choice, Cuddles. You're going to love the books, I promise you.

a mood come alive.

Nice, Cuddles!

I'm on page 220 or so of the book now, just got past Samwell's introduction. I'm looking forward to his development, if he's not a total side character. :)
    I love page burners turners.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Cuddles: it's a great series and I highly recommend it, but you should be warned that if you do blaze through the four--soon to be five--massive books in a hurry (admittedly not hard to do, it's a pageturner for sure) you will likely be stuck in the same agonizing boat that all of the series' fans are, waiting for Martin to make his painfully, apologetically slow progress on the next one.

I'd almost caution you to wait a few years until the end is in sight, but with the HBO series starting, it's going to absolutely explode, and for better or worse, this is the kind of series that has many many SHOCKING moments which are mindblowingly awesome if you wander into them unaware, but tragically easy to spoil for yourself or others if you follow the fanbase online in any way.
    Another slow burning series, I see.
    Thankfully, Hellsing and Berserk (and soon to be HunterxHunter) have trained me for this.
    Also, better a slow pace than having Martin struggle to meet a deadline and messing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
    Excellent choice, Cuddles. You're going to love the books, I promise you.
    Yesssss.

If my friends like it, then it must be good~

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    This is really true actually. You definitely want to read the third book as soon as you possibly can because I can't imagine how much it would suck to get even mildly spoiled on what happens in it.

I ain't picking this up till it's ALL done. No way am I gonna stay in waiting hell.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

is Stolen

Then you're honestly better off not following it at all, it's extremely easy to get spoiled for this series, as the online community has had six years to chew on the novels in waiting for Dance of Dragons. Everything is out in the open, and given that this series' shocks are part of what make it the height of fantasy literature, I'd go to all lengths to avoid anything where you would run the risk of reading fan discussion or commentary.

That said, the HBO series is going to bring a LOT of attention to the franchise and you'll likely hear a lot of people talking about it. Rather than wait, why not dive into four books in a truly fantastically written series - in many ways unlike any other - and see just what all the fuss is about?

I mean, would you choose not to read HunterXHunter, or Berserk, or Bastard! because you knew there were going to be long hiatuses? My stance on such issues is always to read them and know what it is I ought to be appreciating or if it's really worth all the hype. There'll always be other things to occupy you in the meantime. I can relate to wanting to wait, but it's not like there haven't been other fantastic manga or fantasy novels or series out in the meantime to sate your thirst for quality writing.

Inbetween Game of Thrones novels, I read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, which was outstanding. Its sequel, Wise Man's Fear just came out a few days ago - I just got my grubby little paws on it, and I'll have it and The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie to tide me over until the HBO series comes out.

July really isn't so far off, but even if it was -- life goes on.

Just got up to Eddard and Cersei's meeting... just threw all doubts I had about this story out the window.

I'm hooked. Ned's one of the greatest badasses ever.

Finished the first book finally.

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...d-preview.html

Damn if this isn't gonna be awesome :D

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information