Closed Thread
Page 998 of 999 FirstFirst ... 498 898 948 988 996 997 998 999 LastLast
Results 19,941 to 19,960 of 19978

Thread: The Nintendo Thread

Default Re: The Nintendo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg009 View Post
    here's hoping that it returns to the classic style from the N64.
    That's what they said about Top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    That's what they said about Top 100.
    We're people really expecting that even while knowing Top 100's gimmick was taking minigames from the previous Party games while retaining neither themed boards (or the entire roster of the games up until that point).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

In other news, I ordered the Super NT from Analogue. I just think it'll be nice to finally have a real deal SNES machine again, and all the videos I've seen really make the benefits of 1080p and 48KHz clear. It'll be interesting to see how well it works with my Star Fox 2 repro cart, as well.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    3DS FC: 4468-0979-5223 / Wii U ID: JSHerstein

If we're talking about 3rd party Nintendo stuff, I picked up one of these recently:

Hidden:

The 8Bitdo SF30 Controller

Basically it's a Super Famicom style controller that connects to Windows, Android and even The Switch.

The design is SLIGHTLY modified so it's compatible with modern games (It has 4 Shoulder buttons and 2 clicky-sticks, home and share buttons etc) But it basically feels like you're holding an SNES controller... and WOW is it awesome.

I'm trying to save money, but this thing is the one nice thing I let myself buy with my tax return and I am super happy with it.

It's not easy for 3rd party SNES style controllers to get the D-Pad right and this REALLY does.

So far I've tested it on Mega Man X, Mario World, Star Fox 2, Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild and it's just overall super comfy.

I can't wait to start Cuphead now with this thing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    If we're talking about 3rd party Nintendo stuff, I picked up one of these recently:

The 8Bitdo SF30 Controller

Basically it's a Super Famicom style controller that connects to Windows, Android and even The Switch.

The design is SLIGHTLY modified so it's compatible with modern games (It has 4 Shoulder buttons and 2 clicky-sticks, home and share buttons etc) But it basically feels like you're holding an SNES controller... and WOW is it awesome.

I'm trying to save money, but this thing is the one nice thing I let myself buy with my tax return and I am super happy with it.

It's not easy for 3rd party SNES style controllers to get the D-Pad right and this REALLY does.

So far I've tested it on Mega Man X, Mario World, Star Fox 2, Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild and it's just overall super comfy.

I can't wait to start Cuphead now with this thing.
    How much was this? I play a lot of roms on my phone and this would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    How much was this? I play a lot of roms on my phone and this would be awesome
    It was kinda pricey. $50, but I thought it was worth it because of how versitile it is. On top of working on Windows and Android It's a fully functional Switch controller, even has Rumble and Gyro, only missing "HD" Rumble and Amiibo.

There's also a different "Model" you can pick that's based off the US SNES controller, so purple buttons and cocave X+Y Buttons. I prever all 4 buttons being convex so I went with the Super Famicom model, but they have both options.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

I have the original 8Bitdo SNES controller, and I agree it's incredibly nice to have for Bluetooth gaming. The only problem I face now is not having the receiver for the SNES port; it's an extra $20-25, and if I'd gotten it included, it would have just been $5-10 more. Maybe someday.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

I kind of not want to talk about this, bit kind of do as well. The inevitable next smash.

The lack of polish on the game outside combat makes me want to keep Sakurai handling movesets and game balance only. Just watched the intro of it again and it was just so meh compared to Melee or even 64.

Just the crime against game design that is Smash Tour, and how Smash Run was so close to being good.

The roster seems to be almost as big as Ridley, and other than the usual suspects (A pokemon, a fire emblem character, a few third party character) and the repeat suspects (isaac, waluigi, geno, King k rool, etc) and adding the Inklings, I don't seem to get excited for 10 more characters when we are already pushing 60, and I feel like we already hit diminishing returns. Specially for the ammount of atention that each character deserves. And other than merging Roy, Dr Mario, Lucina (and maybe Mewtwo, and with a heavy heart Lucas) to their close counterparts, I feel like it would be a disservice to cut anyone.

Granted, I still would like very much to get a Smash in the switch, just to have it on the switch, instead of setting up the wiiu every time that I want to play. But other than the things that we should have since the begining (Like a goddamned Stage Hazzard Switch), unification of what we had and got dissolved/lost (a 1p mode that is not stupidly repetitive, Magicant, Ice Climbers, proper break the targets stages) what can be made to further improve the game? Meaning, not something that was on a past game but taken out, but something new.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The original had the pure joy and novelty of the concept. Melee had the technical mastery. Brawl built up the lore and thrived on pure fanservice. The newest games tried to make things bigger and better, but it just came across as being a little too bloated. I lost interest in trying to clear the multiple modes with all 50+ characters because I just don't care about guys like Dark Pit and still-cloned Ganondorf, while DLC like Cloud and Ryu came too late to recapture my full attention. And that's a problem that can't go away because it would be seen as losing content rather than editing a product to make it more focused. Even the new music wasn't as good because they relied on a lot of synth and not taking as many risks with remixes of the material as Brawl did, and the majority of trophies just being model rips was not as much fun.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Oh yeah, the soundrack is not as good as brawl, definitely.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'm all for the notion of making a brand *new* Smash, not a Sm4sh port.

I personally thought the soundtrack was fine but they dropped the ball here and there.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Smash 4 had a massive soundtrack, but it was just underwhelming overall. The arrangements didn't excite me much compared to Brawl.

I suppose if I had to name my favorite remix:

Man, it's been so long since I played SSB4. I never even got the DLC characters. I guess that'll be the next thing I do once I'm done with Xenoblade.

Only song to leave a lasting impression of me. I didn't plan to buy ALL of the dlcs, but this song forced me.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

This one I liked from brawl, because I was so fucking tired during college about a class, that I assigned the fire emblem group of songs to it, and this was the song that I imagined while I was doing the final test review with the teacher. I don't know who was the power hungry fool, either she or most likely Me. Alas, now that I know that this is oliver's song it's even better.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Template:Music

The wiki has everything listed, and if it's an original or a remix, maybe even if it's a rip? Didn't see one. The page format for 64 and melee is not user friendly tho.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Duck Hunt Medley and Jungle Japes Jazz mix

They should go back to the roots and make a Smash Brothers that is open world, with breakable weapons and...

wait, no, that doesnt work for this series. Honestly, I know Melee HD is a meme by now but I'd be down for that. Even though I love the characters in later games and have great memories, I still feel like Melee was the most balanced package. And that's ignoring the whole Fox Only Final Destination part of the game, which is another reason to bring it back and make all of the money.

Outside of that, I'm ok with Smash 4 on Switch with occasional characters and 3DS features. I don't know what a sequel could bring that would excite me at this point, since any additions would go along with the likely removal of characters I like (no way Palutena survives a chopping block, unless a new Kid Icarus happens, but it probably won't T-T )
    Like that I don't shut up about games? Here's my game design blog
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

But smash weapons have always been breakable.. That's the legacy of a generation without items.

Also, my brain doesn't even recognize Dark Pit as a character. That one hopefully will be merged.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    They should go back to the roots and make a Smash Brothers that is open world, with breakable weapons and...

wait, no, that doesnt work for this series. Honestly, I know Melee HD is a meme by now but I'd be down for that. Even though I love the characters in later games and have great memories, I still feel like Melee was the most balanced package. And that's ignoring the whole Fox Only Final Destination part of the game, which is another reason to bring it back and make all of the money.

Outside of that, I'm ok with Smash 4 on Switch with occasional characters and 3DS features. I don't know what a sequel could bring that would excite me at this point, since any additions would go along with the likely removal of characters I like (no way Palutena survives a chopping block, unless a new Kid Icarus happens, but it probably won't T-T )
    Hahahaha, this is an A+ idea. But we must go deeper. Breakable Pokemon if they attack too many times, breakable Samus Suit when you shoot too much, maybe Kirby could get a perforated lung after every 10 enemies he ingests, or your Fire Emblem characters come with one fixed weapon with a set durability value, and when it hits zero they permadie. Mario Odyssey missed a trick by not having Mario break his legs after jumping on enemies too many times. Nintendo could've gone double GOTY...

But trying to be more serious. I don't keep up much with the evolution of game system hardware, evolving practices of game design and so on. Have there been any interesting new progressions in the game design scene that might offer new opportunities for the next Smash game?
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Closed Thread

Thread Information