Closed Thread
Page 999 of 999 FirstFirst ... 499 899 949 989 997 998 999
Results 19,961 to 19,978 of 19978

Thread: The Nintendo Thread

Default Re: The Nintendo Thread

Thing is, most of the improvements I can think of are really just things they wanted to do before but didn't have the power to implement until now. 8 player smash was an early idea only possible until Wii U, Final Smashes was an early idea only possible until Brawl, etc.

Then there's side stuff like Smash Run that's just a recycled concept from another sakurai game, wall of collectibles that's a recycled idea from another sakurai game, difficulty options recycled from another sakurai game... and then all the bad stuff like smash tour and bosses in stages.

What I seriously wanted from Wii U was some sort of "master hand" options sort of thing where someone with the wii u gamepad could manipulate the stage, drop in items, or even just play as a master hand with the triggers and stylus. But nope, it was just smash as usual. With Switch, the main hardware advantage is it being portable with console graphics and the joy-con themselves, but I don't see how any of those would do much to add to the experience.

And then there's the stuff none of us want, like them getting ideas from others in the industry and releasing skins... in Loot Boxes or a system of the sort with double-currency economy. I mean, let's be real... if they actually had done this they COULD have made tons of money, though in the current climate it would piss a lot of people off.
    Like that I don't shut up about games? Here's my game design blog
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

Honestly, as long as the characters themselves aren't loot-box-locked, going the overwatch route that the base game is already paid and owned, the microtransactions are for cosmetics, and the game keeps getting content.

Well, by that point we will be paying for the online servers as well.

Thinking about it, the thing that I would be annoyed if it returned is Smash Tour (oh, and brawl tripping).
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I found Smash 4 utterly satisfying, to the point where I'm really not hungry for a new Smash. I'm perfectly fine with a definitive port on the Switch that drops a few characters (Mii fighters, Dark Pit, Roy) and adds the obvious ones (Inklings, an ARMS fighter, Rex, etc). And yeah if they want to do loot boxes for completely superficial stuff I don't mind.

I mean the only way I can think of to get me really excited for a full on new Smash at this point is if they made so many changes a new features it would be a fundamentally different game. Besides that I'm just fine with picking up an updated 4.

That's the rub, isn't it? There's not really too much you can even put in a new Smash, hell I'm going to miss any character that would be cut from the superb roster. (Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Duck Hunt, etc.)

I guess at the very least, you'd get Rex replacing Shulk or something.

A feature I have in mind for ages (even before Smash 4 announcement) is moveset variations, merging custom moves, clones and costumes. The last Mortal Kombat did something similar. Basically, give each character several sets of B-moves (instead of individual ones) and/or minor variations (see Marth/Lucina), centered around a particular game or character of the series, with a cosmetic change associated.
    Example: Give a Sunshine based moveset to Mario with all its A-moves staying the same but every B-move is using FLUDD. This variation is showed by having him wear sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt. You can also merge some of the clones within the character as an alternate moveset. It would also be an opportunity to give Ganondorf or DK more representative movesets while keeping the old ones. As a bonus, K.Rool would be the perfect ambassador for this feature with its different personas.

Also, a Triple Triad-like board/chess game using your collection of trophies would be amazing and give an incentive to collect them.

Considering that the custom Bmoves wasn't as good or loved as I thought it was going to be, I don't think that would be a good idea, beyond just picking Marth and having Lucina and Roy as alternatives or something like that.

Part of the fear on Palutena not making it back, is that she is the character most defined on custom movesets, so for her its going to be the return of the system (I'm not excited on collecting them again, I didn't even finish it), the "canonization" of one of her sets, most likelly the weak default one, or her being cut.

While at the begining I was interested on the system (as I liked that weird Sonic gba game where you collected the movesets of the woodland creatures, and some robots, to install into your chaos emerald powered robot named Emerl) but for a proper fighting game not being able to know what your opponent can do it's kind of a layer of gameplay that doesn't add the kind of complexity that the fighting gamers enjoy.

Besides customizing a character couldn't be done on the fly, if I remember correctly, greatly reducing it's casual apeal, and that was for 4 moves.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

I've never played the new Smash because of my lack of interest in the Wii U. Hopefully, they port it to the Switch sooner then later.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathborn View Post
    Al Give a Sunshine based moveset to Mario with all its A-moves staying the same but every B-move is using FLUDD. This variation is showed by having him wear sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt.
    When I think I sunshine Mario all I can think of is Mario wearing a short sleeve version of his regular red shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

The problem with custom moves in Sm4sh was that they were poorly implemented. You could only use them in matches with custom parts allowed, which meant the stat modifiers, too, which really just broke the game.

What Deathborn was saying does make it a little easier, being full loadouts to choose from when you select your character, rather than a mix and match set to be played around with until you're comfortable. The main issues I see with that are that it'd be more work total (multiple full special sets per character), and it would definitely make it harder for newbies to pick up the game, since you'd essentially be doubling or tripling the current roster. Still, I like the idea of themed movesets, which could help to represent different aspects of a character, or different games they've been in. It would really be complementary to Inkling characters or even Rex from XBC2, each of which are meant to be played with different loadouts in their respective games.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

And Rex shouldn't replace Shulk, Rex stance system changes his weapons while Shulk's only his stats.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    I've never played the new Smash because of my lack of interest in the Wii U. Hopefully, they port it to the Switch sooner then later.
    This is pretty much why I don't think we need a new Smash game.

Sm4sh is fine but I just didn't feel like playing it because it was on the Wii U and my interest with playing my Wii U was minimal for anything other than Pokken Tournament.

My Switch on the other hand is my waifu. I text that bitch a smiley face for Valentine's Day. Put Sm4sh on the Switch and I'll be 1000x more likely to play it.

For me the main case for a new game would be adding more robust single-player / mini-games. I still miss break the targets lol. And I'm probably the only person who really loved Subspace Emissary and wants something like that again.

10 years later and this still seems surreal.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    For me the main case for a new game would be adding more robust single-player / mini-games. I still miss break the targets lol. And I'm probably the only person who really loved Subspace Emissary and wants something like that again.
    Ditto @ all that

Obviously we're in the minority but...
    For me, Smash was always 65% single player, 35% fun dicking-around party game when I was lucky enough to be living near friends who played (most of high school, some of college, all of Japan, never since 2013). Zero interest in net play.

Loved perfecting those minigames, collecting every trophy, achieving every battle bonus (anyone remember Climactic Clash from Melee?), and training up my skills to beat all the hardest difficulties in every mode and/or three lvl 9s solo.

I played Smash4 for about four days and never touched it again.
    Definitely not expecting whatever comes next to cater to my weird preferences, but it'd be a pleasant surprise if they made any effort on that front.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but with Super Smash Bros. 4, I feel like the series has gotten really stale. I'd love to see them do something different for the next Super Smash Bros. I want to see them do something that would make me find the concept of Nintendo characters fighting each other fun again.

I thought my lack of enjoyment of new games was all on me and because I wasn't a child anymore, but then I played Breath of the Wild and realized that Nintendo actually can make games exciting again themselves. Super Smash Bros. is one of those series that has just succumbed to being "Great, but not inspired" in my eyes.

If they're going to play it conservative with SSB, I'd at least like to see the return of a story mode, but more focused on Nintendo locales (like in Melee, but expanded, of course). I'd like to see a more stellar single player mode altogether. Lastly, I'd definitely want to see the expansion of the custom special moves feature that was added in SSB4. It seemed like a great idea, characters like Toon Link, Ganondorf, Luigi, etc. and more could get completely NEW special moves through the feature. However, when I got to it... Only Palutena had truthfully unique alternate special moves (there may have been some other rare exceptions, I forget, but it was mostly her). Flipping Sakurai and his bias. It was all so evident in SSB4 I couldn't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I wanted to love Subspace Emissary so badly, I really did, but those enemies. Gah.

The only thing about Smash 4 that really disappointed me was that they didnt even try to build or improve upon Subspace Emissary. The core concept is so great. I'd actually love an almost entirely single player focused Smash Bros but I don't know what the larger appetite for a game like that would be.

That kind of was smash run, where you faced nintendo enemies, go around getting powerups and just being in a big stage. It almost scratched the itch of the single player, but it being only one kind of island, and being all for a lackluster battle at the end, it felt flat.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Never played Smash Run since I didn't get the 3DS version. Which is already a big flaw, only putting it on the inferior platform.

Also this thread is at just about 1000 pages so I'm going to make a new one.

Closed Thread

Thread Information