Closed Thread
Page 1 of 172 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the way women are portrayed in OP?

Default What do you think of the way women are portrayed in OP?

The Nakamates thread is getting side tracked, so this needs a separate thread.

Do you like the way women are in OP? Quite a few complaints have been popping up on here.

My opinion. I am okay with their strength. Everyone acts like women need to be able to take on Godzilla. I was actually worried Robin was too strong at the beginning. Couldn't she just snap everyone's necks at night? Wouldn't CP9 be a breeze for her to beat? I am not crazy for the clothing. I think the mini skirts that would be 4-6 inches long in reality are pretty pointless, especially from a fighting stand point. I think that it was a good switch though, lose a shirt for some pants. The CP9 clothing for Nami seemed the worse, but oh well.

What is everyone's opinions on the women in OP.

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Default Re: What do you think of the way women are portrayed in OP?

The clothing doesn't bother me usually. One Piece has such exaggerated everything that big secondary sexual things fits.
    The guys are all rippling with muscle and often forget to button up shirts. I mean what is Franky if not a cartoon of male physical libido?

The roles are weak, but for a shonen it's honestly not so bad. Or should I say japanese comic, because shojo can be just as awful (worse even).

Japan is a very patriarchal country, like most of the East Asian cultures. So I think in the context of his society, writing for a boy's silly comic, Oda does pretty fine. He's no Katsuhiro Otomo maybe but few westerners are either.

Compare him to Kishimoto with Naruto? And it's an intense improvement.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

You never really saw Luffy with muscles until a fight.
    Is it because he is rubber? Hahaha.

You are right about the way everyone is portrayed. Once the women stop buttoning up, I think the show just went a little farther. Haha

Talking about Naruto, Sakura got the worst sort of "improvement", if it can be called that.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    Let it all go: Fear, doubt, disbelief.
    FREE YOUR MIND!

Eh, he could admittedly be better with them, although at least there's one female Yonkou & Shichibukai, but compared to Naruto & Bleach, it's no contest.

And one of the supernovas, she also kicked BlackBeard.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

The fanservice bothers me only because it's an increase from what it was in East Blue and early Arabasta. When Nami and Vivi's belly-dancing costumes and the Happiness Punch were the extremes of OP fanservice,

Oda established early on that he can write a good story independent of stupid stuff like fanservice to sustain interest. Fanservice only handicaps most authors with a story to tell anyway (Akamatsu?). So when the fanservice went on the increase with CP9, it really limited his freedom because he's almost obligated to include some fanservice shots in each chapter. Each shot comes at the expense of something else he could be showing. Remember how he couldn't include Daddy the Father in East Blue because of chapter/panel limitations?

I don't know what brought about this change in Oda's approach, but the worst case scenario is the Jump editors pressured him, and that Oda of all people ended up submitting to them makes me very angry. It's probably not a big deal to him however he arrived at the change, nor to the Japanese readers.

Otherwise, what JERK DISEASE said.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

It could be worse if you ever seen To aru Majustu No index or Bakuman or black cat. They literrally treat the women like shit. In some of them the main character just blatantly smacks the bull shit out of them. In bakuman the moms opinion is so meaningless.

This is what I get for only reading the title and not the actually post...oh well the fan service isn't nearly as bad as some other shows.

The girls look fine. JD put it just fine with his comment about Franky.

The women in One Piece (specifically the lead two females) are independent and have their own goals and ambitions to be aboard the ship. Oda leaving romance as a very very minor point (or just nonexistent), was a great choice as I'm sure we'd all prefer the bossy, tough Nami over some cliche harem girl who's only purpose is to cling to the protagonist.

See currently I am only watching One Piece. So I have no clue what Bakuman and Naruto do. By fanservice, you are referring to them putting in sexual themes because the majority of readers are teenage males, right?

I think the belly dancer outfit actually made sense. Sanji was picking them out. They actually were less revealing than other articles of clothing she has worn. Happiness punch does seem to go a little far. Nami is portrayed a little more as a stripper with these scenes.

I will survive this hell! Kishido's Avatar

Well maybe they are dressed like whores but to be honest. Go in the clubs and you see young women dressed like this left and right. Seriously...

More important is... Compared to other mangas the women have a much bigger role and are able to take care of themselves. Oda is giving them a lot of screentime and I like it.

The dressing isn't the main think that portrays them as cheap. I think it is mainly the charging to see her nude. I am glad there is no romance though. And the women are strong enough. Robin would be able to beat sanji.

I will survive this hell! Kishido's Avatar

Dunno I can handle it. If some boys are effected by it that much or some are distracted by that that much it isn't a problem for me.

Point is... Look out of the window at summer or just look regulat TV or music videos. You can see women and girls behaving and dressing like sluts left and right. And the marketing is even potraying them like that a bit. Sex seels even more these days.

And seriously... In the homeland of Hentai and the mini-skirt school-uniform dressed a girls it isn't that suprising and I bet for the japanese it isn't that much of problem.

But that's just my point. Maybe someone like Aohige could give us a better insight in that

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

What little I've seen of Bakuman's female characters was pretty fucking awful.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

If you have a problem with fan service there's shows that are a lot worse..... some which are border line hentai. However, you have to remember the target audience for mangas are teen males and teen males likes boobies.

I am okay with the current writing. I know other shows go farther.

Quote Originally Posted by KiShiDo View Post
    You can see women and girls behaving and dressing like sluts left and right.
    Now this irritates me, you say women are behaving like sluts just for behaving the same way men have for however many thousands of years. In at least a few countries it's a new age man, women can do what they like rather than what they are told.

And the marketing is even potraying them like that a bit. Sex seels even more these days.
    That... is kind of a huge understatement.

The way Oda portrays women doesn't bother me much, but then again I don't pay much attention or think about these things much.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostLegendary View Post
    If you have a problem with fan service there's shows that are a lot worse..... some which are border line hentai. However, you have to remember the target audience for mangas are teen males and teen males likes boobies.
    be more accurate, you should say most teen males.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis cypher View Post
    Now this irritates me, you say women are behaving like sluts just for behaving the same way men have for however many thousands of years. In at least a few countries it's a new age man, women can do what they like rather than what they are told.

That... is kind of a huge understatement.

The way Oda portrays women doesn't bother me much, but then again I don't pay much attention or think about these things much.

be more accurate, you should say most teen males.

It's a double standard get over it.

I should prob have said that but oh wellz. If you a teen male and you don't like boobies....... yeah there's no point in going into that discussion.

One Piece is a manga for boys, of course women have to look like they do. Or like Oda himself said: 'I'm a goddamn shonen manga-ka! A MAN'S DREAM!! NEVER ENDS!!!'

What bothers me most is how their waists can be so narrow, but these kind of things are just part of Oda's style, so it's not a big deal.

The waist is even odder. At some points Nami looks like Sanji round house kicked her mid section. Or something caused her stomach to be crushed.

Closed Thread

Thread Information