Closed Thread
Page 2 of 172 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the way women are portrayed in OP?

Default Re: What do you think of the way women are portrayed in OP?

Quote Originally Posted by SingingThroughTheStorm View Post
    See currently I am only watching One Piece. So I have no clue what Bakuman and Naruto do.
    NARUTO avoids the skimpy outfits but makes women pretty much weak and useless. They're either healers or fodder or both. Also their character development completely depends on what character they happen to be crushing on and how they react to them.

I wish Oda would tone down the boob enlargement but other than that I'm pretty okay with it. It's mostly the anime that makes things worse anyway.

i think females in op have a good exposure. there's a Yonku, a shicib, one of the supernovas, one high ranking marine...

and of course, nami/robin... all of them have their own characters, all have realistic characters.

to the fan service... i agree, sometimes a bit too much (like nami/kalifa fight) but there u are... compared to naruto... well naruto's females are just bystanders cliched individuals who are in love with a character and just fight for others + love.

none of them have their own ideals etc....

smoke anime every day bluntzilla's Avatar

Really the only problem I have is the body type is exactly the same and a bit too oversexualized. Generally there are a good deal of "ugly" women in One Piece that have really strong character designs. But there's very little variety in how the young women look. Most of the young men have pretty similar body types, but they look a deal bit more varied, and there's a lot more strong character designs with strange shapes coming in from the male department. I think Amazon Lilly did an okay job of changing up the way Oda does women, though the ridiculously thin waistline and absolutely hilariously large breasts are like... ehh...

Essentially it's a bit less offensive to me when you realize a lot of the males are exaggerated and most of them have the same kine of oval-tube looking torsos as well, but the girls are definitely moreso out of place looking than the guys. I realize that it's a comic so basically the character designs aren't going to be entirely based on reality, and too many weird looking people would also be a huge pain to draw. But the difference between Sanji and Zoro is pretty stark, The women, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Compare him to Kishimoto with Naruto? And it's an intense improvement.
    TBH I think the visual designs from Kishi are generally better with women. The writing of course... not so much.

Your avatar seems to express the Nami Kalifa fight. I did get a kick when Nami stated in the anime, "Wow, how sexy, I would be happy if she was my secretary. WAIT!!! I am not an Ossan!" Although the whole stroking thing did go a little overboard.

Remember that it's a comic for 14 year old boys.

And if your upset about chest size in this manga, Fairy Tail would like some words with you. There's fanservice taken too far...
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

The fanservice seems obligatory for the genre. Well, for the target audience, too - it's not like western superhero comics are any better. What I don't really get is the Woshu Woshu no Mi. That's so weirdly specific and gender-role-associated. Flower, soap, smooth, weight, and love powers are iffy to me for the same reason, but to a lesser degree.

Is there a name for this girls-get-girly-powers trope?

smoke anime every day bluntzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
    Remember that it's a comic for 14 year old boys.

And if your upset about chest size in this manga, Fairy Tail would like some words with you. There's fanservice taken too far...
    Man this cake sure has a lot of sugar in it, but it's okay when you compare it to this heaping bowl of sugar covered caramel.

I think one of the oddest moments in the anime was Robin grabbing Franky's nuts. I liked the theory behind him covering up his emotions by using the nut grabbing as an example.

Luffy, "Robin!!! Stop, I want him still to be a man when he gets on the ship."

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluntzilla View Post
    Really the only problem I have is the body type is exactly the same and a bit too oversexualized. Generally there are a good deal of "ugly" women in One Piece that have really strong character designs. But there's very little variety in how the young women look. Most of the young men have pretty similar body types, but they look a deal bit more varied, and there's a lot more strong character designs with strange shapes coming in from the male department. I think Amazon Lilly did an okay job of changing up the way Oda does women, though the ridiculously thin waistline and absolutely hilariously large breasts are like... ehh...

Essentially it's a bit less offensive to me when you realize a lot of the males are exaggerated and most of them have the same kine of oval-tube looking torsos as well, but the girls are definitely moreso out of place looking than the guys. I realize that it's a comic so basically the character designs aren't going to be entirely based on reality, and too many weird looking people would also be a huge pain to draw. But the difference between Sanji and Zoro is pretty stark, The women, not so much.TBH I think the visual designs from Kishi are generally better with women. The writing of course... not so much.
    Kishi wanted Sakura to be a sexy character, but literally couldn't pull it off. His own words.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Quote Originally Posted by Mox View Post
    s there a name for this girls-get-girly-powers trope?
    Don't know if I understood what you said, but could it be you meant:

Spoiler:

cliché or stereotype

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

The fanservice seems obligatory for the genre.
    Except OP was curiously bereft of it for nearly 400 chapters.

Well, for the target audience, too - it's not like western superhero comics are any better.
    I don't believe the first part is true. OP became popular without fanservice and its inclusion hasn't really made a noticeable impact in its popularity. Fanservice is mostly dead weight/filler, like a lot of chase scenes in Hollywood movies. There's really no explanation for why or how it found its way into OP, and why it's still here.

If anything, fanservice is used by an inferior manga-ka to compensate for content a skilled one creates. To-Love-Ru comes to mind, it was nothing but pointless fanservice and circular situations, and now it's canceled, like a lot of manga of its type.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I don't see how Weather and extra arms are that girly though. Granted if I saw Sanji with the soap whatever it is called power I would be sort of weirded out.

The women in One Piece, I wish there was more of them, and more really strong one's like Boa and Big Mama (even though she hasn't been revealed yet) Other than that they're way better than the ones in Naruto, and DBZ. But Bleach and Fairy Tail do good jobs too.
    Randy "Macho Man" Savage voice.

"Your going no where! I got your for the rest of your life!"

Quote Originally Posted by LuffyLuffyNoMi View Post
    Don't know if I understood what you said, but could it be you meant:

Spoiler:

cliché or stereotype
    yes a trope is another word for cliche or sterotype
    Randy "Macho Man" Savage voice.

"Your going no where! I got your for the rest of your life!"

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Dragonball wasn't actually bad with women, maybe at the start when Bulma and Lunch were like the only characters.
    But later on you get Android 18 and Videl.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

The fanservice in One Piece is not a very important part of the series, and I'm happy that this is the case. I remember when the chapter where Luffy landed on Amazon Lily was released. After seeing women pulling his so called elastic mushroom and Marguerite being naked with no reason, I was thinking what the heck was going on, because that kind of things don't belong to One Piece. I'd say that the Nami vs. Kalifa fight wasn't even very bad.

in One Piece the girls get a better development and screentime, and are far more useful and important for the plots (compared to other manganimes). Most of the other mangas use them just as sex toys for the readers and watchers.

I agree, One Piece girls have giant boobs, but at least you dont have them smashed on your face every five panels like Fairy Tail girls does :P

♣ "If eyeballs are wrong, then I don´t want to know what´s right!"

Oda will always be constrained by the fact he's writing primarily for teenagers who want to see tits.

For that topic i think it`s necessary to say a word about the Amazons.
    Here Oda portrayed women as strong, hard working and for themselves living individuals, who don`t need the "helping hand" of a man.

Interesting is that the Amazons slightely took over specific characteristic from men while all their time living without them.
    -strongest female is most popoular
    -all want to be one day warriors
    -being pretty doesn`t rly count in that kingdom (Hancock excluded)
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Strong, sexy. love em. No anime does it better.

Closed Thread

Thread Information