Closed Thread
Page 46 of 172 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the way women are portrayed in OP?

Default Re: What do you think of the way women are portrayed in OP?

Not all women have natural moustaches. Some don't.
    Last edited by DarkFalcon; February 26th, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    I fail to see how that's relevant.

I agree with everything else. Just as someone can't treat a child and an elderly man/woman the same, one cannot treat men and women the same way. We should find balance and try to treat people by their personalities rather than their genders.
    All I was trying to say was that no matter how much people scream about equality, fundamentally the two genders are different. Not saying one is better than the other, just different. Therefore we shouldn't demand that Oda treat the two the same way, i.e. Nami doesn't need to have the brute strength that Zoro does, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kagehisa View Post
    All I was trying to say was that no matter how much people scream about equality, fundamentally the two genders are different. Not saying one is better than the other, just different. Therefore we shouldn't demand that Oda treat the two the same way, i.e. Nami doesn't need to have the brute strength that Zoro does, etc.
    As I said, I agree with this, I only found it strange how you mentioned the pissing thing which seemed a little out of place.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFalcon View Post
    Not all women have natural mustaches. Some don't.
    Define "natural".
    Quote Originally Posted by YouDNewb View Post
    And moustaches must always be present?
    Moustaches are beyond gender~

I like how they are portrayed, they show they are strong at heart even with a cute side which is the general female characteristic; they can be just as intimidating as men.

Nami beats the crap out of everyone and takes charge, she's not the strongest fighter but her heart is as big as Luffy's, thats what separates her from most women.
    Robin is the most Courageous woman in One Piece and is insanely Book smart to the point she has an advantage in quickthinking which is why she kicks so much ass to many men before and now.

"Why are you aboard our ship Lily?" -Monkey D. Luffy

Define "natural".
    In the case of moustaches "natural" means they will grow on their own, without sticking them to the face with glue or applying some hair grow lotion. The best most women can achieve is frail stubble under nose in their older age. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFalcon View Post
    In the case of moustaches "natural" means they will grow on their own, without sticking them to the face with glue or applying some hair grow lotion. The best most women can achieve is frail stubble under nose in their older age. Sorry.
    I used duct tape and my own hair.

And it worked!
    Last edited by Nolus; February 26th, 2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: We are getting off-topic here.

It's cool, but still that hair hadn't grown under your nose... I feel we've go a little off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    You can perfectly compare the situation. He didn't say "she is my nakama...", he said "she is a woman..."

No matter how you look at it, there is a weird double standard going on and the example proves it. That both lines come from the same character proves it even more.
    If some one electrocutes my girl friend I'll get more pissed off than if they do so to my male friend. However if a girl comes swinging at me, and I can electrocute her, I'll do it. Double standard, but a realistic one. At least, that's how I see it.

Lessee..
    Luffy: Loses his brother in front of him to murder.
    Zoro: Loses fighting partner to sickness.
    Sanji: Anger management issues.
    Usopp: Bullied and a liar.
    Chopper: Bullied.
    Brook: Lost his entire crew.
    Franky: Lost his mentor, went street punk.
    Nami: No real parents, loses adoptive mother in front of her, trust issues.
    Robin: Abandonment issues, loses mother in front of herself, pushed away for her own safety.

Others -
    Hancock: Enslaved, possibly raped from a young age, trust issues
    Jimbei: Enslaved, trust issues..

I think the women are treated just as equally as the men in the series... Oda's just a glutton for tragic upbringings and how they handle things now.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
    Lessee..
    Luffy: Loses his brother in front of him to murder.
    Zoro: Loses fighting partner to sickness.
    Sanji: Anger management issues.
    Usopp: Bullied and a liar.
    Chopper: Bullied.
    Robin: Abandonment issues, loses mother in front of herself, pushed away for her own safety.

Others -
    Jimbei: Enslaved, trust issues..

I think the women are treated just as equally as the men in the series... Oda's just a glutton for tragic upbringings and how they handle things now.
    Jinbe was enslaved? I don't remember this at all.

And come on, the concept of sexism is flawed. One can not treat a girl the same way they treat a man. Specially a pretty girl. Simply because one would feel even the slightest bit sexually atracted to her, while the same wouldn't happen to a man, or an ugly woman.
    You might get over it and punch her straight in the face, but that's not something most man can do. But even in non-fighting terms that works. You can simply tell a random dude in the street to fuck off when he accidentally jostles you, but you won't do that if it's a pretty girl doing it.
    Girls and Boys ARE different. Treating them equally is not something we should aim for. Respect, that's all that is needed.

So Oda portrays only sexy women, how's that bad? I prefer to draw sexy women, I prefer see sexy women, why should I draw non-sexy women? Accurate portray of reality? Sure. But would I have a guy beating them like there is no tomorrow. Specially a guy that the audience is suposed to love? No. I mean, even if the girl is the biggest bitch, most man would still feel some pitty for her, and that could turn into hate for the main character.
    So what wouldn't be sexist?
    A work where girls behave exactly like boys? That sounds more sexist to me. A work where girls can do whatever they want? Exactly! A work where all girls are equally beautiful, or all have pretty and not so pretty things about them? That would be realistic, but it has nothing to do with sex descrimination. Prolly descrimination against ugly women/ or man if we look at it that way, but, hey, everyone descriminates against ugly women? Right? Right? Even uglier women do so [speaking from experience, what matters is the inside is a bunch of bullshit and no one follows that. If you're dating a guy is because you think he's beautiful, or, at least, so-so].

Heck I don't get all this issues with descrimination and prejudice. Is wrong to kill you cause you're black. It's wrong to lock you in a kitchen cause you're a woman. Giving you barbies cause you're a woman is not bad. Giving you girly super powers because you're a woman is not bad. And this whole women's movement sounds like women got jelly. I mean man are much more affected by sexism in my point of view. Girl plays with boys toys "oh she's a tom-boy", boy plays with barbies "gay!! homo!!! . Girl is strong and punches a guy in the face "*slow clap.gif*", guy is weak and prefers to avoid violence, "PUSSY!". And I'm not going to enter birth rights, cause that is completly unrelated.
    It's not like those steriotypes were created by man to keep woman "in check". It was simply what women liked, what women were more able to do, what women preferred to do. Obviously everything went really overboard, and women were really treated worse than man by society. But today that DOES NOT happen. As long as they can do whatever they want, they have the right to vote, the right to work, the right to divorce. And they can abort without the father giving permission (the father can't do that, of course, and is treated as an asshole by society if he asks her to do it). So, yeah, women in OP do girly stuff, are pretty, and who the fuck would prefer to see man with boobs and pussy instead of women? And this is about the way the author treats women, not the way other character's treat women, so some characters preferring not to hit them is not the point. And double standarded characters are also not the point.

So ways women are portrayed?
    I hate the way Oda draws feet. They're to angled, and not quite sexy. :/

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
    Lessee..
    Luffy: Loses his brother in front of him to murder. (Trained under brutal conditions, nearly drowns, costs his mentor his arm).
    Zoro: Loses fighting partner to sickness. (Rival/friend dies to broken neck).
    Sanji: Anger management issues. (Dying from starvation, savior gives his own leg for food).
    Usopp: Bullied and a liar. (Father famous pirate gone for years, sick mother dies waiting).
    Chopper: Bullied. (Mentor also dies).

Others -
    Jimbei: Enslaved, trust issues..(Hated, betrayed by humans).

Just gonna add a few things...

He does like the tragic upbringings. He seems to have the Disney complex of orphans and killing off mothers lol. So yes, he's fairly equal in that treatment.

~My Harem, S-Rank~

Quote Originally Posted by gotta<3OP View Post
    And come on, the concept of sexism is flawed. One can not treat a girl the same way they treat a man. Specially a pretty girl. Simply because one would feel even the slightest bit sexually atracted to her, while the same wouldn't happen to a man, or an ugly woman.
    You might get over it and punch her straight in the face, but that's not something most man can do. But even in non-fighting terms that works. You can simply tell a random dude in the street to fuck off when he accidentally jostles you, but you won't do that if it's a pretty girl doing it.
    Girls and Boys ARE different. Treating them equally is not something we should aim for. Respect, that's all that is needed.

So Oda portrays only sexy women, how's that bad? I prefer to draw sexy women, I prefer see sexy women, why should I draw non-sexy women? Accurate portray of reality? Sure. But would I have a guy beating them like there is no tomorrow. Specially a guy that the audience is suposed to love? No. I mean, even if the girl is the biggest bitch, most man would still feel some pitty for her, and that could turn into hate for the main character.
    So what wouldn't be sexist?
    A work where girls behave exactly like boys? That sounds more sexist to me. A work where girls can do whatever they want? Exactly! A work where all girls are equally beautiful, or all have pretty and not so pretty things about them? That would be realistic, but it has nothing to do with sex descrimination. Prolly descrimination against ugly women/ or man if we look at it that way, but, hey, everyone descriminates against ugly women? Right? Right? Even uglier women do so [speaking from experience, what matters is the inside is a bunch of bullshit and no one follows that. If you're dating a guy is because you think he's beautiful, or, at least, so-so].

Heck I don't get all this issues with descrimination and prejudice. Is wrong to kill you cause you're black. It's wrong to lock you in a kitchen cause you're a woman. Giving you barbies cause you're a woman is not bad. Giving you girly super powers because you're a woman is not bad. And this whole women's movement sounds like women got jelly. I mean man are much more affected by sexism in my point of view. Girl plays with boys toys "oh she's a tom-boy", boy plays with barbies "gay!! homo!!! . Girl is strong and punches a guy in the face "*slow clap.gif*", guy is weak and prefers to avoid violence, "PUSSY!". And I'm not going to enter birth rights, cause that is completly unrelated.
    It's not like those steriotypes were created by man to keep woman "in check". It was simply what women liked, what women were more able to do, what women preferred to do. Obviously everything went really overboard, and women were really treated worse than man by society. But today that DOES NOT happen. As long as they can do whatever they want, they have the right to vote, the right to work, the right to divorce. And they can abort without the father giving permission (the father can't do that, of course, and is treated as an asshole by society if he asks her to do it). So, yeah, women in OP do girly stuff, are pretty, and who the fuck would prefer to see man with boobs and pussy instead of women? And this is about the way the author treats women, not the way other character's treat women, so some characters preferring not to hit them is not the point. And double standarded characters are also not the point.

So ways women are portrayed?
    I hate the way Oda draws feet. They're to angled, and not quite sexy. :/
    Interesting thing you have written (my observations don't agree with yours, that may be due to different socio-cultural experience and you've haven't realized the cause of social phenomenon you've observed) I'd like to discuss the matter further, especially since what you have written is to big to leave unanswered, however it would go too far away from topic of this tread and we are not on the forum dedicated to social thinking. But I also many things I would like to say would come out of what I have stated earlier.

What surprised me is you remark about feet. Frankly I haven't given it much thought. I think it's the matter oh art style. Does this really bother you so much?

I'd much rather discuss the way characters are created, how they develop, social interactions, philosophical basis and relation comparison the way they are shown in the manga and history.

Is there thread "how are men portray in OP". If not I have interesting (rhetorical) question for the all the posters: why is that?

I should stop messing with your heads (I probably should kick myself every time I do that). Now I'll be substantial. Is there anyone who wants to discuss characteristics separately?

Oda's not truly the best when it comes to women in this story. His best wench will be Big Mom, and that's easy to do because he's making her out to be some sadistic dominatrix.

Thinking about it, I'm not that upset about Oda not making many "top" women. Hard to explain, but I don't think he handles it wrong. There are strong or respected women everywhere (Tsuru, Big Mom, Hancock etc.) and that's enough for me to be honest.

Thinking about it, I'm not that upset about Oda not making many "top" women. Hard to explain, but I don't think he handles it wrong. There are strong or respected women everywhere (Tsuru, Big Mom, Hancock etc.) and that's enough for me to be honest.
    Yeah I'm completely with you on that, definitely nothing wrong with it at all. Plus, Bellemere is a total badass.

Is there a reason why no one ever mentions Hina when it comes to strong women in OP? I think she is badass and her DF has the potential to be extremely broken.

Spoiler:

And just to add some fuel to the fire...

Spoiler:
    "The cage of marriage"

Hina is one of those underrated characters who don't get enough screentime. Hopefully she'll play a bigger part now or even join G5.

Tsuru, although old, might have one of the more hax devil fruit powers too. Plus she is kind of like a badass old lady.

Maybe Hina doesn't get mentioned because when we're looking for strong female marines, we always think of Tsuru first. She's a higher rank and she hasn't failed yet.

Although I can't wait to see Hina kicking some more asses.

One Piece is written by Oda to entertain a mainly male audience! If you like it or not, that is the way it is. The whole pirate and adventure thing is what boys and men want to read..
    So giving a lot of strength to male characters and pointing out the feminine side of a lot of female characters is perfectly natural for an artist.
    I am not that into Manga but I think there are a few mangas that wrap around a very very girly story and I think a lot of the boys in those storys are portrayed in a way that you could also call a bit sexist!

Closed Thread

Thread Information