+ Reply to Thread
Page 216 of 219 FirstFirst ... 116 166 206 214 215 216 217 218 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 4369

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Default Re: General Video Game Discussion

WARNING: Impending Unpopular Opinion

Remember No Man's Sky? Remember that crazy reveal trailer, the years of hype, then the initial underwhelming game?

I, admittedly, thought that initial game was perfectly fine, though far more niche than I was expecting and much more indie. It got (rightly) slammed for lacking all kinds of features that the project lead, Sean Murray, had promised at some points or broadly hinted at in others. The game still made a freaking ton of money, since none of the team had ever expected it to be such a big thing and the studio was not geared towards blockbusters. Then it became one of those dark stories of video game culture, with the usual death threats and personal attacks that for reasons I still do not understand have come to be expected for bad video games. Hello Games went almost entirely dark.

Then they popped up with the Atlas Update, which allowed base-building. Then a smaller Path Finder update, with more vehicles and lots of refinements. Then Atlas Rises pretty much remade the game, with a deeper storyline, better procedural generation, missions, new alien biomes, and, well, a bleeding ton of stuff. It's still not an ideal game for me, but I've played a dozen hours in Atlas Rises, and it's a good damned game.

And now, they released this trailer for the next free update:

Look, I know there's nothing in this world that can be morally worse than creating a disappointing video game, especially if you're a woman (sorry, GamerGate dig). But these dudes and dudettes took all that money they made, the constant abuse, and quietly plugged away at making the game they'd always wanted to make. I know I'm in a minority in this, but think it's time to revise the ole memory banks on NMS and recognize it as an actual success story rather than the horrific failure it seems to be treated on the internets. Good work, guys.
    Hang in there, Kierkegaard.

NMS' main failure was a lot of over promising and under delivering.

Couple that with Sony's marketing machine and you reach a larger population who eats into the hype and thinks it'll be crazy good right off the bat when it's clear that the team is too small to ever generate something that crazy.

Did Sony fund the game? Because if so it's pretty shitty to have basically released an alpha/early access game and take months or however long it's been to release something that meets your prerelease hype. Even if Sony didn't fund it there's no excuse for doing these kinds of things but it's getting more and more common and nobody cares because the internet exists and you can fix your game after the fact. Or you can not fix it. It's admirable that they're "fixing" their game in the first place but that doesn't excuse its state of release and is part of a larger problem in the industry imo.

Edit: Also, did they change it from first person to third person? Or is it a toggle thing?

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Did Sony fund the game? Because if so it's pretty shitty to have basically released an alpha/early access game and take months or however long it's been to release something that meets your prerelease hype. Even if Sony didn't fund it there's no excuse for doing these kinds of things but it's getting more and more common and nobody cares because the internet exists and you can fix your game after the fact. Or you can not fix it. It's admirable that they're "fixing" their game in the first place but that doesn't excuse its state of release and is part of a larger problem in the industry imo.

Edit: Also, did they change it from first person to third person? Or is it a toggle thing?
    From what I understand it seems you can switch between the two.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Well, I already bought the game on the last update, may as well give it a shot now that it finally has third person and multiplayer.

Still probably way too much mining and resource management for my tastes long term, but...

Mostly I'm just interested to see if they've upgraded the flora and fauna variety enough this time that you don't start seeing repeats by the second or third planet.

The Giant Bomb podcast brought up that the conversation around NMS would be completely different if it was marketed as an early access game.

There's a saying in the game industry that goes "you only release once"

Basically, how much of an impact you make when you release a game can pretty much make or break how well it does overall in 99% of the cases. The fact that NMS blew their load by releasing an incomplete product that didn't live up to promises is the sort of thing they should have known not to do, and while it's cool that they kept working on it to make it what they wanted it to be, in the greater context it's too late to expect the world to suddenly praise it.
    Like that I don't shut up about games? Here's my game design blog
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...ing-a-new-game

New Def Jam game might possibly have been teased.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...ing-a-new-game

New Def Jam game might possibly have been teased.
    Yeah Def Jam Rapstar 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

so I been watching these playthrought videos of Skyrim, a game I never played, and I just remembered I have a ps3 full of dust somewhere in my closet.
    and I'm feeling like bringing back to life the gamer I killed like 12 years ago.

is it really THAT good?

Just like every other TES game it's got a lot of issues. The PS3 version is also pretty terrible and apparently will become unplayable if you play it for long enough because the save file(s) will bloat in size. If you want to play it I'd suggest getting it for PC if you have a decent one, or for a current gen console if you can get one.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    so I been watching these playthrought videos of Skyrim, a game I never played, and I just remembered I have a ps3 full of dust somewhere in my closet.
    and I'm feeling like bringing back to life the gamer I killed like 12 years ago.

is it really THAT good?
    I'd recommend going with the PS4 or XB1 version since that adds the critical new Quicksave featur they started using in Fallout 4. Don't go pickpocketing without it!
    Last edited by BattleFranky69; August 8th, 2018 at 03:47 PM.

If anyone doesn't know by now ... Dead Cells is freakin' awesome!! I started playing it yesterday on the Switch and stopped 4 hours later after getting stomped by the first boss for the third time.
    But man does the gameplay feel great! It kind of falls in the Dark Souls-category of very challenging but fair games.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

So.. I bought an Indie game called Element, and Celeste, and DK Tropical Freeze, and Warcraft 3, and Castlevania III, and Castlevania Dracula X, and all in the middle of a Hearthstone expansion. Help I, I got too many games.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I finally tried it, really nice game, sucks that all my friends are married boring people and no one ever recommeded me the game.
    I been having a cool experience so far, slashing wolfs and shit, if I keep falling in love with it I'll consider getting a ps4.

Think I just found what I needed for the long and hard wait for Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I finally tried it, really nice game, sucks that all my friends are married boring people and no one ever recommeded me the game.
    Oh hey, someone I can relate to.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Discovered Stowaway

Weird question, but does anyone know who owns the rights that formerly belonged to the defunct company WhooPeeCamp? I really want a third Tomba! game.

According to their Twitter the rights belong to Sony. It seems unlikely that they will do anything with it since the Tomba games did not sell very well. Which is sad because i loooved the first game. Never played the second one unfortunately. I wish they would re-release the games on the PS4 ...
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Amazon Prime is ending its 20% discount pre-order deal on August 28. That means until August 28, you can pre-order a $60 game like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for $48 instead with an Amazon Prime account.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...order-discount

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Amazon Prime is ending its 20% discount pre-order deal on August 28. That means until August 28, you can pre-order a $60 game like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for $48 instead with an Amazon Prime account.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...order-discount
    Thanks for the tip! I took care of it now, but it's too bad that Amazon is the last hold-out giving in at last.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    3DS FC: 4468-0979-5223 / Wii U ID: JSHerstein

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information