+ Reply to Thread
Page 233 of 234 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 231 232 233 234 LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,660 of 4673

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: General Video Game Discussion

I haven't played many of them but Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite (on the DS). Being able to level up, collect souls to power up abilities, buying new items and armor, really making it a great RPG blended into the Metroidvania formula. I can't quite tell but this one doesn't look explicitly like it has that going on but hopefully. It looks great and graphically, it's something I'd love to see on my Switch rather than any of my other consoles.

Speaking of which...

What's a better series Guilty Gear or BlazBlue? And what are the differences? and why haven't they made a crossover yet? I mean they are owned by the same company right?

Guilty Gear is a little more old school fighter, Blaz Blue is flashier. GG has about 50 playable characters over 7 main games, BB has about 35 over 4 main games. They're both fine and decent fighting games..

Neither of them are the fighting game I want more of, Virtua Fighter.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Also Blazblue has a way more confusing plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    I will agree that the difficulty gets pretty harsh. For me it was fun since I cherish the intensity this game can reach, but even then I felt brutalized by just how long it was without being divided into B-sides or C-sides.

The way I see it, once you get to the point with the heart barrier, that should have been the end of an "A-side", and the ensuing challenge could have been a B-side, with the final room being a C-side.
    I also share my disdain for feathers, and some of the levels in this chapter feel too brutally precise imo. It kills the fun a bit when you know exactly what you need to do but die several times instead because you cannot execute something on what feels like frame-perfect reflexes. Probably around the middle of the level is where this was brutalizing me, but the later part of the levels really regained the fun for me.

For me the jellyfish were actually a highlight of the experience. Something about them felt entirely natural for me from the start and I think it's hands down my favorite mechanic of the game now. The puffer fish was also a super fun addition, though it reminded me of bumpers a bit in the sense that sometimes you want to bop their head and instead they move a fraction of a micro-inch and explode instead. But overall a fun mechanic too.

I also am not affected by binoculars since I never use them lol. I find that it's easier for me to solve things as I discover them, since more than half the time when I look at things with binoculars I have no clue how a certain section is supposed to be done, but when I get there it feels more intuitive. I think that's just my personal style though, and I think what annoyed me more is that some rooms where brutal at the beginning and then when finally doing the harsh part I would die to petty spikes near the exit. If the challenge in a room is in the start it feels mean to add "gotcha!" hazards by the end of the room.

Also, the music is beautiful! And the ending is beautiful! It's a brutal DLC, but I highly encourage people complete it.
    p

Is this not on xbox yet? Loved the game and had no idea there was dlc coming but cant find it

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    p

Is this not on xbox yet? Loved the game and had no idea there was dlc coming but cant find it
    I heard something when it came out that it was probably not going to be released at the same time on Xbox as on every other platform, but that it would be coming soon after. Haven't been following up with it, so I'm guessing no further progress took place last week, but hopefully this coming one.

Fallout 76 fucked up again.

I heard something when it came out that it was probably not going to be released at the same time on Xbox as on every other platform, but that it would be coming soon after. Haven't been following up with it, so I'm guessing no further progress took place last week, but hopefully this coming one.
    I appreciate the reply. Still nothing

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also i saw you weren't a fan of hollow knight. Idk id say of you like celeste...push through the beginning. There's an ending of HK that i hear everyone complain about but beating celeste made it extremely bearable

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Fallout 76 fucked up again.

People are still playing that game? I think that's probably the most remarkable piece of news about it.

If people are still playing Anthem why would no one still play Fallout 76.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Also i saw you weren't a fan of hollow knight. Idk id say of you like celeste...push through the beginning. There's an ending of HK that i hear everyone complain about but beating celeste made it extremely bearable
    I did wind up retrying HK and got to at least one ending plus some of the side quests like the colosseum of fools or w.e is it’s called. I gained more appreciation for it.

That said, what makes it a less approachable genre for me isn’t the difficulty in terms of skill and execution, but in terms of exploration. Celeste is linear so getting stuck means I have to figure out the path and execute it. Getting stuck in Hollow Knight to me means that I have to go all over the world to find out which tiny secret or area I missed and potentially get lost again in the process.
    It’s a different type of gameplay loop. One appeals to me more than the other.

I did wind up retrying HK and got to at least one ending plus some of the side quests like the colosseum of fools or w.e is it’s called. I gained more appreciation for it.

That said, what makes it a less approachable genre for me isn’t the difficulty in terms of skill and execution, but in terms of exploration. Celeste is linear so getting stuck means I have to figure out the path and execute it. Getting stuck in Hollow Knight to me means that I have to go all over the world to find out which tiny secret or area I missed and potentially get lost again in the process.
    It’s a different type of gameplay loop. One appeals to me more than the other.
    So I take it Metroidvania games aren't your style

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    So I take it Metroidvania games aren't your style
    Correct! I make the effort on ones I find appealing for one reason or other (HK has appealing combat and characters, Super Metroid has great narrative), but otherwise I don’t particularly seek them.

I also tend to not enjoy completing them without guides or support of some kind to pull me back if I get stranded.

Correct! I make the effort on ones I find appealing for one reason or other (HK has appealing combat and characters, Super Metroid has great narrative), but otherwise I don’t particularly seek them.

I also tend to not enjoy completing them without guides or support of some kind to pull me back if I get stranded.
    I'm right there with you, as much as I appreciate the time and effort it takes to make such and video game, I can't seem to manage all the back tracking and remembering where things are, and I kind of feel like constantly using a players guide or checking up with the internet is kind of missing the point of the whole game, kind of like how I used to use players guide on Zelda dungeons until I beat one on my own and figured out that half the fun of them is figuring out how to do it by yourself and feeling that sense of accomplishment when you finally figured it out and beat it yourself

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I'm right there with you, as much as I appreciate the time and effort it takes to make such and video game, I can't seem to manage all the back tracking and remembering where things are, and I kind of feel like constantly using a players guide or checking up with the internet is kind of missing the point of the whole game, kind of like how I used to use players guide on Zelda dungeons until I beat one on my own and figured out that half the fun of them is figuring out how to do it by yourself and feeling that sense of accomplishment when you finally figured it out and beat it yourself
    It's not really such a big problem if they are good about mapping, but Hollow Knight made it REALLY hard to find the guy with the maps in a lot of areas so that was kind of a pain. But Metroid is usually pretty okay with that kind of thing. I do kind of wish more of those games would emulate Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, though, that for me was the pinnacle of the formula. But I like when they execute that sort of thing in 3D games like Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie where lots of backtracking is needed after new abilities are learned to complete each stage 100%, it's just never quite as focused as the 2D Metroidvania style.

Back when I bought hollow knight i went into a Metroidvania shopping spree, and also got axiom verge. More lineal but less fun experience, as most power ups are beams, numbering near the 20 and most of them just feel like downgrades.

The cool part was glitching enemies, but I can’t figure it out why it just let me down.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I played through a lot of axiom verge after trying it out in an event, and it was pretty fun for a while.

Then I stopped playing for a couple of days or so because life happened, and when I came back to it I had no idea what to do anymore and completely gave up on it. It's what made me hesitant to start HK, but that one wound up working better: when I came back to it after rage-quitting it for weeks, I was still able to have an idea of things that needed doing.

Axiom verge has the advantage of being smaller and faster, I just re-started it. And even without a proper warp, the middle area connects almost every other area, so secret hunting becomes quite easy. Also it has save on quit, returning you to your last save point, so with planing, backtracking can be keept at minimum.

But in the end, it.. just leaves me an unpleasant aftertaste, I believe it is because the glitching a random enemy on the final area, it's glitch is that it's movements become mapped to yours, realizing this made it so interesting and awesome, compared to so many others who's glitch were "bigger hitbox" or slower attack speed, or become missigno. Also the fact that a random enemy's of just one area glitch is "drop a collectible that isn't listed in the map or the collection", being in the final save room felt like a betrayal.

They had this mechanic, that just by the nature of the game is obscure and hard to read. Also so many beams, it was ridiculous.

Comparatively Hollow Knight's first playthrough I had so much fun from begining to end. Second one tho, I got the same fatigue of "where do I go" with "I know this door, but I don't remember where was this key".

I realized it, it is the bosses.

Hollow knight tell their story and of the world, Axiom verge are meat blobs that you get told later what they were.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information