+ Reply to Thread
Page 236 of 238 FirstFirst ... 136 186 226 234 235 236 237 238 LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,720 of 4746

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Default Re: General Video Game Discussion

Because Death Stranding is cool and Keighley is a Kojima fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Because Death Stranding is cool and Keighley is a Kojima fanboy.
    Is it really that good though? I'm not saying it's bad, I've never played it and you personally said it was a great game, but is Game of the year worthy? Some people are biased when it comes to Kojima, I mean I know I have bias for stuff like the Avengers movies since I've been reading avengers comics since I was in elementary school, is it that, or is it really that good?

Everybody has their own opinions some will think it's game of the year others will argue it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

In terms of the sheer number of nominations it got, they are definitely sucking that Kojima D.

I haven't played anything else this year (or even the last few years) so I don't have really any way to say if it's better than anything else. I'm sure part of it is because of Kojima but I do think it's a cool game and seems pretty ambitious from what I've played of it. Kojima's honestly pretty ballsy for making such a game imo. It's got a shitton of mechanics and the focus isn't on combat. I've yet to get a weapon 10 hours in, though I know there's some in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    Skies of Arcadia... anyone...?

Got stuck on a part when i was younger amd finally came back to beat it
    Love that game my favorite RPG I've played.

What would you guys rank the best video games of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Baba is You is easily my best for the year. Brilliant design. Celeste Farewell was also an excellent DLC level for Celeste, but Celeste remains a 2018 gem for me.

Sekiro and Resident Evil 2 are top tier when it comes to games with high production value. I don't know where WoW Classic stands since it's technically not new, but it did stupid well so it also merits mention. My last mention would be Dota Auto Chess for becoming so prevalent that multiple companies began emulating its mechanics.

Agreed on Baba is You. Its design is so clever and memorable that I'm still thinking in those sentence structures months after playing it. It's supported by an excellent soundtrack and a simple artstyle that just works for it. Game is good.

Hypnospace Outlaw's a strong runner-up. Kind of a niche game, but a unique experience. It's 90s internet simulator with interesting gameplay, silly humor, and a great depth of content for you to explore.

Some other standouts: Later Alligator, Untitled Goose Game, A Short Hike and Anodyne 2.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Dragon Quest Builders 2.
    I don't even like Minecraft, but the eighty hour single player campaign is so varied and well written that it easily surpasses Breath of The Wild as the best action RPG on the Switch for me.

I just want to say that I'm playing Breath of the Wild and really missing my Dualshock 4 because of how much you have to use the D pad. It feels pretty unnatural for me to have to go up toward the D-pad, instead of down.

Since it's top of the decade list time, I thought I'd highlight some of my favorite soundtracks of the 10s in a top 15 (I tried doing 10 but I really couldn't) of the 10s. I sort of weighted the list in an order, but it's not super concrete, so don't read into it (also no more than one game per series).

Hidden:
    So first some honorable mentions:

Hidden:
    A Hat in Time has an incredible soundtrack that I'm only not placing on the list because I just started playing through it and am not finished yet. It's hard for me to tell what kind of impact it will carry on me, but there are some real bangers on it. Sor far I particularly love all the Subcon forest music and that for sure is going into heavy rotation once I purchase the soundtrack.

Hidden:

Yo! Noid 2, for being a game jam game made in a time crunch has a high density of bangers. The soundtrack's pretty small and there's maybe only a couple I listen to regularly, but damn if they aren't worthy of praise.

Hidden:

Anodyne 2 is in sort of a similar place where maybe not every track hits, but the ones that do stick around. Overall the game features some really satisfying sound and music design, which make it worth considering, but only a few tracks really stuck around with me after the initial play. But those tracks, god are the good.

Hidden:

The original Binding of Isaac soundtrack is something that's managed to stick with me through over a thousand hours of play across a whole decade. What speaks more to its staying power is how much I remember it over the remake's (also great) OSTs, when I've poured more of my hours into the latter.

Hidden:

Onto the top 15:

Hidden:
    15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

This soundtrack was pretty divisive when it came out. It's mostly sparse and minimalist, only poking through the background occasionally as you explore the barren and desolate land of a post-apocalyptic Hyrule. Not only do those subtler pieces help punctuate the adventure, though, but they make it so much more impactful when the game really does pull out all musical stops, pushing those songs to heights that are pretty legendary.

Hidden:

14.Later Alligator

The perfect alligator jazz soundtrack to antics in Alligator New York City, certainly the best jazz soundtrack to a video game since Grim Fandango. The Later Alligator soundtrack breathes life into a game already filled with it. It's honestly hard to believe that this direction is so new to composer 2 Mello, because I could believe most of this was scooped off of some lost 50s slab of vinyl. This is an OST that definitely scales some heights.

Hidden:

13. Super Mario Odyssey

Composing for a mainline Mario game has to be a hard job. These are always among Nintendo's biggest games, some of the biggest on the planet, and their soundtracks (especially in the case of Galaxy) are out of this world. That makes it all the more impressive how many instant classics Odyssey's soundtrack has made. Stripping back the full orchestra to a smaller band was an inspired touch. With a lighter band, it's a lot easier for the music to really jump up and out at you.

Hidden:

12. Splatoon 2

The Splatoon series is just oozing with style out of every pore. Where Nintendo dropped the ball with online frustrations and a limited single player experience, they more than made up with it in the worldbuilding department. The music is at the center of this, a bunch of upbeat cephalopop that defines a generation of squid kids. Both soundtracks are really good, but I'm giving the edge to the sequel. With its greater breadth and more refined tunes, I think it's fair to say it makes the bigger splash.

Hidden:

11. Hiveswap: Friendsim

Let me tell you about Homestuck. This webcomic sports over 20 memorable soundtracks, some of which would easily top 5 this list if they were actually from a video game. But Hiveswap: Friendsim gives us a loophole! and a brilliant one at that. James Roach managed to prove himself capable of competing with Homestuck's best composers on this soundtrack (which also features some of my favorite cuts from the webcomic's ample discography). So maybe there isn't as much game for this OST to slot into and support, but I just keep coming back to it. It is some incredible video game music and that much is no troll.

Hidden:

10. Rayman Origins

Both Christophe Héral and Billy Martin's soundtracks for Origins and Legends are delightful. They're whimsical, silly and damned musically eclectic, featuring everything from gibberish singers to didgeridoo. Origins's soundtrack I think is much stronger than its sequels, which home tracks that are just hopelessly addictive. The songs are strange and cartoony, and I'm not sure I've ever heard another game sound quite like it. It's weird nonsense composed for games that are fundamentally about weird nonsense, but it's satisfyingly fully realized weird nonsense that just shines like a ray... man.

Hidden:

9. Baba is You

This might be the smallest album on the list, but no less worthy of it. The soundtrack to Baba is You is perfect work music. These are simple songs tailor made for wracking your brain against puzzles that could take you hours to work through. They're atmospheric and rhythmic, never dominating your attention, but subtly reinforcing it. It's is just somehow perfectly suited for making you believe you're decoding some cryptic otherworldly puzzle. It's no small feat to build a distinct atmosphere for a world in which anything can be anything, but Arvi Teikari killed it. Soundtrack is good. Very good.

Hidden:

8. Celeste

The fact that Lena Chappelle's soundtrack can help push you through this tough as nails platformer already says a lot about the quality of the work, but it's so much more than that. Each track is just deep and brilliantly-textured chiptunes that highlights both Celeste's gameplay and story beats, and that would already make for a damn fine soundtrack by itself. But then they add the remixes. The B-sides in the game ramp up the challenge into relentless difficulty, so the music pushes itself even further, too. The artists work with an already solid soundtrack and manage to push it to even greater heights.

Hidden:

7. Transistor

Supergiant was super lucky to land a talent like Darren Korb on their team. The only reason Transistor's here instead of Pyre and Hades is that I haven't played those games yet. There's no doubt that his soundtrack for those two kick ass, too. But it can't be denied that his cinematic electronica fits right at home in the cyberpunk dystopia of Transistor. With this soundtrack in the background, the game really does feel as grand as a movie on the big screen, but it is also amazingly well-paced for the kind of game it's made for: somewhere between frantic action and pensive strategy. It's hard to resist the music of Transistor.

Hidden:

6. Lisa: The Painful

Lisa is an underrated gem of a game in all regards. The game's odd tone that balances pitch black comedy and genuine existential horror is something that was destined to be niche, but it shines through brilliantly on Widdly 2 Diddly's musical contribution. Taking its influence from old school hip-hop, weirdo electronica, biker rock, the synth soundtracks of 80s horror films and Ryo from Shenmue's grunting, the result is an abrasive and intriguing mix that sounds something like Death Grips: the video game, and is just the opposite of painful.

Hidden:

5. Shovel Knight

I decided to just dedicate one place on the list to the works of Jake Kaufman (who also wrote the music for the Shantae games). This guy just nails punchy action music so well that it's no wonder he and his studio were recruited to write the soundtracks for cartoons OK K.O. and Mao Mao. Shovel Knight's music is really his most emblematic work in this decade, though, spanning almost the entirety of it with the game's initial release and its various expansions. This stuff is classic video game music right at home on an old cartridge, and stands right alongside some of the most classic of classics, even exceeding them in places (something symbolized in how his works hold up with the couple tracks contributed by Mega Man composer Manami Matsumae). The Shovel Knight soundtrack's a feast that I just keep digging into.

Hidden:

4. Va-11 Hall-A

Okay, this isn't even a game I finished. The game itself is decent, but never kept my attention (though I still plan to return to it). But this soundtrack. It is just so so so good that I've put in more hours listening to it alone than I have playing the game. And it fits perfectly into the cyberpunk bar environment of the game, but it holds up so well on its own. It's the music of the seedy neon-lit underbelly of the big city, built on 80s pop and given a futuristic tinge of modern electronica. Garoad's work is lush and evocative in a way that few soundtracks really are, and I can't wait to see what other work lies ahead in his future.

Hidden:

3. Persona 5

Speaking of soundtracks that evoke city life, Persona 5 is the latest in a great tradition of Persona soundtracks. The sound work on the Persona games is pretty brilliant, with each game's music being designed around its core setting and themes. The upbeat acid jazz production filling out P5 perfectly suits its rebellious teens in a Tokyo cityscape. Like the other Persona soundtracks, the mix between slice of life and dungeon crawling action lends itself to songs covering a variety of moods, and Shoji Meguro's work just nails each of them. I find myself putting on the 'quiet night in' music when I have a quiet night in, or blasting the heist music when driving around and getting up to no good. The music is just an immersive soundscape that is just filed with persona-lity.

Hidden:

2. Danganronpa V3

God, the entire Danganronpa series came out this decade, meaning this series just contributed three of the best soundtracks of the 10s. It's honestly hard to pick which one is my favorite, but I went with the most recent since it feels the most polished. Danganronpa's tone is a tricky one; it's anime high school meets the Hunger Games meets Night Court, and yet Masafumi Takada just happens to know exactly how that sounds. There really isn't any other soundtrack you can give this game. It can be jazzy, dance-y, melancholic, psychotic, and all somehow distinctly Danganronpa. And most of all, it gets me so invested in what is at face value bizarre anime horseshit without ever pretending to be anything else. The music has me crying at the tragedies, invested in the cases and enamored with the characters. It's an incredible soundtrack full of thrills, chills and kills.

Hidden:

1. Undertale

There was no way my one slot wasn't going to be Undertale. Though a lot of these soundtracks come close, it's really hard to touch the works of Toby Fox. The tracks individually are a great mix that push and pull you in just the right ways with the game's story beats (no doubt helped by the fact that Toby made the game, too). Each song alone is well-composed and catchy, in ways that make them perfect video game music, set to loop without ever making me tired of them, and having me come back for more, (I've replayed sections of the game just to listen to its music again) but when they really shine is together. Toby's music interlinks with a good use of leitmotifs that help to build narrative into the music itself. Undyne's first theme evokes her oppressive air of mystery, which looms in the bgm of Waterfall and eventually bursts out when Undyne reveals herself to be the passionate warrior she is in her battle theme. Napstablook's simple ghosty battle theme is energized into the Mad Dummy boss theme, which hints at their sibling connection without the game saying it. There are plenty of examples of this sort of writing, which just deepens an already incredible soundtrack, making it no doubt my favorite of the decade.

Hidden:

...shit I forgot to do an Undertale pun. Ummm... bone? No that's not a pun that's just a word. Umm under... tale... anime... fish.. uhhh I sure did sneak this under the tale end of my list, HA fucking NAILED it.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Can anyone recommend any good multiplayer shooters on the switch for 3-4 people to play together? I know Splatoon, but are there any good ones that are more traditional, in the vein of Halo or Destiny?

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Can anyone recommend any good multiplayer shooters on the switch for 3-4 people to play together? I know Splatoon, but are there any good ones that are more traditional, in the vein of Halo or Destiny?
    There isn't really anything like the games you mentioned on the Switch.
    The only game that comes close is Overwatch, which has a pretty alright port.
    Other than that ... maybe Warframe for PvE.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    There isn't really anything like the games you mentioned on the Switch.
    The only game that comes close is Overwatch, which has a pretty alright port.
    Other than that ... maybe Warframe for PvE.
    That's disappointing, but I guess it is what it is. I hope Metroid Prime 4 has a robust multiplayer like Hunters.

Doom has multiplayer don't know about local.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

There is always... Fortnite.

And like paladins/one of those overwatch clones that ended up in the warpath of fortnite.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    There is always... Fortnite.

And like paladins/one of those overwatch clones that ended up in the warpath of fortnite.
    My friends for sure won't play Fortnite (and I'm not interested in it much either) and we're looking into paladins, especially since it's free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Warframe. Looter shooter space ninjas, up to 4 players in a squad. Best movement system I've ever seen in a game. Scratches all the itches left from the Mass Effect multiplayer. 300ish weapons right now, 40 characters. And its free.

Constant updates, ever expanding, always new things to do. The main story did a thing like 80 hours in that blew me away.

I've clocked like 1200 hours into the damn thing over the last two years. And it just got spaceship combat.

It is a looter though, so there IS grind involved. And the FTP means theres some design decisions that suck a bit, but its generally really fair about that. You can earn all characters and weapons, everything except some cosmetics for free.

I've put a fair bit of money into it, but because I wanted to, not because it forced me.

Last edited by Robby; December 29th, 2019 at 02:09 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information