+ Reply to Thread
Page 241 of 243 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,820 of 4853

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Default Re: General Video Game Discussion

Didn't they do remakes of some of the earlier games before already? I feel like a remaster of those games with upped resolution and framerate would both be easier to do and be more likely to be good than making complete remakes. Not to mention that music licensing is fucked and I already read that this new game is going to be missing a few songs, though that'd affect a remaster too.

From Elvis in Memphis Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Didn't they do remakes of some of the earlier games before already? I feel like a remaster of those games with upped resolution and framerate would both be easier to do and be more likely to be good than making complete remakes. Not to mention that music licensing is fucked and I already read that this new game is going to be missing a few songs, though that'd affect a remaster too.
    There was Pro Skater HD which sucked ass and had a mix of the songs people actually remember from 1 and 2.

The studio that's handled the previous few (very bad) Tony Hawk games got shitcanned years ago and this one is being handled by the folks who did the really good GBA Tony Hawks and the Crash Bandicoot remakes, so there's a much better chance of this one being good.

EVO online line-up has been revealed.

Completely floored that Them's Fighting Herds, the humble MLP Fighting is Magic fangame that got cease and desisted but persisted into becoming its own thing, made it as an open tourney for EVO. Also Smash kicked out for having terrible online is a great decision.

On one hand, it is not that bad, on the other hand, this could shame them into improving it so I’ll bring the torches.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    On one hand, it is not that bad, on the other hand, this could shame them into improving it so I’ll bring the torches.
    I thought they didnt cared for the competitive scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I thought they didnt cared for the competitive scenario.
    I think Sakurai cares but the people who would need to be responsible for improving Nintendo's online probably don't care at all.

Just finished my first playthrough of Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Overall, I have mixed thoughts about the game.

Spoiler:
    First off, I do think this game is a definite step-up from 1/2 Genie Hero, which I thought was a bit of disappointment and a step in the wrong direction for the series. Seven Sirens pretty much gets things back to basics by putting Shantae in another Metroidvania style game. And, for the most part, the game is a blast to play. It's a breezily paced, has satisfying combat and collection quests, and some really appealing character designs and animation. And speaking of animation, this is the first Shantae to have fully-animated cutscenes, which was a real treat. But, having said that, there are some parts where the game really feels lacking.

One of the biggest things for me is that, unfortunately, this game has probably the weakest transformations of any Shantae game (of course Pirate's Curse didn't have any transformations, but that doesn't count). The transformations start off fine for me with the newt and the digging snail and the tortoise (which is the best transformation), but I think it was around the time I got the last two, the sea frog and the jumping octopus, that I started to notice the problem. The problem is that these aren't really transformations, they're just power-ups. What was great about the transformations from previous Shantae games was that you could turn into different animals indefinitely for as long as you wanted. It basically opened up the game and changed how you could play it. In Seven Sirens, while each "transformation" gives Shantae more maneuverability, they just feel really limited in their applications.

And then of course there's the fusion dance mechanic, which is just one of the biggest marketing let downs ever. I mean, I guess no one ever promised it, but when you saw those images of manta ray Shantae and dryad Shantae, you know people wanted to be able to play as them. And, yeah, it honestly would have been really great if those were the transformations for this game, which also would have fixed my previous complaint. But no, instead you just do a little dance, an image of the fusion Shantae pops up for two seconds and then something happens to affect room you're in, and that's it. Really disappointing.

Aside from that, I guess there isn't too much else wrong with the game, though I feel the characters and world-building are kind of lacking as well. Not that I expect too much from the Shantae series in that regard, but still. The regular cast doesn't get a whole lot to do and they mostly just complain about stuff. Sky in particular seems to just act like a brat, ignoring the plight of the half-genies. Maybe my memory's fuzzy, but I seem to recall her being the more responsible one. Although Rottytops disguising herself as a half-genie does lead to a fairly amusing payoff. Also, there really isn't a whole to the sirens themselves other than just being generically bad (though they do have some nice designs).

Also, the game is incredibly easy. Not that that's necessarily a problem, as long as it's fun. But as easy as they made the rest of the game, some aspects of it are rather frustrating. For instance, the game is not especially kind to people who are going for a 100% item collection run in that it doesn't keep track of the number of each collectible you've obtained. And I suppose that's not a huge problem. Super Metroid, one of my favorite games of all time, didn't keep track of how close you are to getting all collectibles. But still, a lot of advancements have been made to the Metroidvania genre since then. And when you have NPCs asking you "Did you get all 20 statues" or "Did you get all 36 heart squids" it almost feels like they're taunting you. I mean, how am I supposed to know how many of the statues I got? Am I supposed to go back and count them all? And then towards the end of the game, one section of the map gets closed off, which throws a real wrench in things (luckily you don't lose the collectibles in that area, as you can talk to NPCs to get the ones you missed).

Oh yeah, and then in the second dungeon they pull a Sonic 3 - Carnival Night Zone and throw in a really not-at-all obvious mechanic that they don't introduce or set you up for and expect you to figure out on your own. That was the only time in the game I had to look up what I needed to do to proceed.

Okay, I bitched a lot in this review (which I tend to do a lot in my game reviews), but only because I really do like this series and I hope for better things from it. And that's what makes Shantae such a frustrating series. Like, it's got all the pieces of a great game series, but I feel like WayForward can just never make Shantae live up to its full potential. I just wish they could go all out and make a truly grand Shantae adventure with awesome transformations and all the whistles and bells of a modern Metroidvania game (maybe they just don't have the budget for it). But, sadly, it always feels like some essential aspect gets left behind during the production process.

Oh well. Seven Sirens. It's a solid Shantae game, so if you're a fan of the series, pick it up. Although...you may want to wait for a sale. I dunno, I beat this game in under 9 hours and for the amount of content you get, I'm not totally sure it's worth $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Just finished my first playthrough of Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Overall, I have mixed thoughts about the game.

Spoiler:
    First off, I do think this game is a definite step-up from 1/2 Genie Hero, which I thought was a bit of disappointment and a step in the wrong direction for the series. Seven Sirens pretty much gets things back to basics by putting Shantae in another Metroidvania style game. And, for the most part, the game is a blast to play. It's a breezily paced, has satisfying combat and collection quests, and some really appealing character designs and animation. And speaking of animation, this is the first Shantae to have fully-animated cutscenes, which was a real treat. But, having said that, there are some parts where the game really feels lacking.

One of the biggest things for me is that, unfortunately, this game has probably the weakest transformations of any Shantae game (of course Pirate's Curse didn't have any transformations, but that doesn't count). The transformations start off fine for me with the newt and the digging snail and the tortoise (which is the best transformation), but I think it was around the time I got the last two, the sea frog and the jumping octopus, that I started to notice the problem. The problem is that these aren't really transformations, they're just power-ups. What was great about the transformations from previous Shantae games was that you could turn into different animals indefinitely for as long as you wanted. It basically opened up the game and changed how you could play it. In Seven Sirens, while each "transformation" gives Shantae more maneuverability, they just feel really limited in their applications.

And then of course there's the fusion dance mechanic, which is just one of the biggest marketing let downs ever. I mean, I guess no one ever promised it, but when you saw those images of manta ray Shantae and dryad Shantae, you know people wanted to be able to play as them. And, yeah, it honestly would have been really great if those were the transformations for this game, which also would have fixed my previous complaint. But no, instead you just do a little dance, an image of the fusion Shantae pops up for two seconds and then something happens to affect room you're in, and that's it. Really disappointing.

Aside from that, I guess there isn't too much else wrong with the game, though I feel the characters and world-building are kind of lacking as well. Not that I expect too much from the Shantae series in that regard, but still. The regular cast doesn't get a whole lot to do and they mostly just complain about stuff. Sky in particular seems to just act like a brat, ignoring the plight of the half-genies. Maybe my memory's fuzzy, but I seem to recall her being the more responsible one. Although Rottytops disguising herself as a half-genie does lead to a fairly amusing payoff. Also, there really isn't a whole to the sirens themselves other than just being generically bad (though they do have some nice designs).

Also, the game is incredibly easy. Not that that's necessarily a problem, as long as it's fun. But as easy as they made the rest of the game, some aspects of it are rather frustrating. For instance, the game is not especially kind to people who are going for a 100% item collection run in that it doesn't keep track of the number of each collectible you've obtained. And I suppose that's not a huge problem. Super Metroid, one of my favorite games of all time, didn't keep track of how close you are to getting all collectibles. But still, a lot of advancements have been made to the Metroidvania genre since then. And when you have NPCs asking you "Did you get all 20 statues" or "Did you get all 36 heart squids" it almost feels like they're taunting you. I mean, how am I supposed to know how many of the statues I got? Am I supposed to go back and count them all? And then towards the end of the game, one section of the map gets closed off, which throws a real wrench in things (luckily you don't lose the collectibles in that area, as you can talk to NPCs to get the ones you missed).

Oh yeah, and then in the second dungeon they pull a Sonic 3 - Carnival Night Zone and throw in a really not-at-all obvious mechanic that they don't introduce or set you up for and expect you to figure out on your own. That was the only time in the game I had to look up what I needed to do to proceed.

Okay, I bitched a lot in this review (which I tend to do a lot in my game reviews), but only because I really do like this series and I hope for better things from it. And that's what makes Shantae such a frustrating series. Like, it's got all the pieces of a great game series, but I feel like WayForward can just never make Shantae live up to its full potential. I just wish they could go all out and make a truly grand Shantae adventure with awesome transformations and all the whistles and bells of a modern Metroidvania game (maybe they just don't have the budget for it). But, sadly, it always feels like some essential aspect gets left behind during the production process.

Oh well. Seven Sirens. It's a solid Shantae game, so if you're a fan of the series, pick it up. Although...you may want to wait for a sale. I dunno, I beat this game in under 9 hours and for the amount of content you get, I'm not totally sure it's worth $30.
    Just completed the game 100% as well. In short, I think we at last have a strong contender against Pirate's Curse as being best in the series: excellent game in its genre, fun to play and fun to watch, and just overall a great time.
    More details in spoiler, but I want to give this call-out as I think anyone who wants to get into Shantae should try out this one as well as Pirate's Curse.

Spoiler:

To respond to the bit with transformations, I disagree strongly. I think one of the biggest strengths of Pirate's Curse vs. any other Shantae game is that the transformations were rather slow and cumbersome, which in turn slowed down the game considerably. Meanwhile pirate tools really allowed your mobility and combat to flourish. I would argue transformations made shantae what she is, but at the same time were keeping her games from being as fluid as they could be.

With that said, I think they nailed transformations in this one. While I can see why some people would have wanted the fusion magic ones to be actual transformations, I think it adds a lot of strength to the level design that they didn't do that and instead everything revolves around one shantae and what that one shantae can do. Particularly feel this after half-genie hero showered us with alternate playstyles and move-sets but failed to remain fun since the levels were designed for the core shantae experience.
    I also remember several of the past games having to rely on monkey transformation for wall climb, but then having to change for combat, but then elephant for stomping, and that would get super tiring over time. Meanwhile here they instantly do away with that with both the Newt and Turtle being stupidly faster and fun to use. Transformations happening instantly finally make Shantae feel as great as she felt in Pirate's Curse while remaining true to her half-genie gimmick.
    I would say the drill transformation and the swimming are the least interesting transformations since they're so constrained and don't really allow the player to truly express themselves, and those areas wind up just having one monster each and nothing else to really grant variety (though props for the pac-man water sections). Meanwhile, the octopus power-up mixes with the newt in such a satisfying way and makes combat and movement in air extremely fun. Feels like a proper final transformation that doesn't just completely break the game like the harpy did.

Also on the topic of transformations, I love that the world in this game is more contained and as a result the world-building is fantastic. I like that they kept transformations to a specific theme (aquatic) and didn't just give us the same transformations as previous games (the monkey is adorable but it's ok to give it a rest, and I was sick of the elephant. All hail turtle, our new stomp overlord!), and not only that but the bosses themselves were also thematic and far, far more interesting than any set of bosses in the previous games. Even in Pirate's Curse the bosses are just a random collection of evil things you kill just because, whereas here you actually feel some investment in knowing what the next siren will be. Props also to the animations when entering the boss rooms.

All that aside, I agree that the game is super easy and in that sense disagree with the criticisms on collection and dungeons. I would say my only criticism is that certain nuggets you have to stomp the ground as a turtle without the game giving you indication that is a mechanic, something I would not have figured out on my own if I hadn't pulled out a map with all unlockables. Something I also agree the game should have provided. It's also kind of dumb how trivial money becomes half-way through the game, and the amount of food you get (plus a healing spell AND cards that buff healing and replenish magic) means that damage is nearly inconsequential. Feels super friendly for speedrunning, but I would have loved to see a new game plus really amp up the difficulty. Maybe running the game with constraints could make it more challenging, but I fear at that point it would be punishable given some of the more crazy rooms near end-game where it's super hard to not take damage.

But dungeons? They were all excellent, particularly from 3 onwards, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what mechanic got you stuck since I breezed past all dungeons. As I see it, this is the metroidvania I would recommend for young players to get into the genre before going into more punishing games like Hollow Knight.
    Which reminds me of the other thing: exploration in this game is super convenient. Where with most of the genre I hate backtracking because it's such a pain, in this one I had no issue doing so considering how fast I was from transformations and how easy it all was.

One other minor nitpick is that unlike Pirate's Curse there was really no incentive to do 100% outside of unlocking art. I was partly hoping for an extra ending or an extra boss, but no such thing. I also still haven't collected all the cards and will probably just do it since 100% was otherwise easy and in part I want to get them all just because.

Lastly, I would argue the characters are about as involved as in any previous shantae game, so I disagree with the criticism that characters and world-building is lacking. If anything, I would say the series in general falls short of building the world as much as I would want to, but that's really mainly a fault because all the character designs and personalities are so compelling that you want to know more. Like, I would have loved for the sirens to have had actual speaking roles and have them as present in the franchise as the knights were for Shovel Knight. Imagine a scene of all sirens interacting with their leader, and building up that leader and her interaction with Risky Boots. Oh man, that would be great! But, anyway... my ultimate point is that the story progresses as deep as it has in pretty much any other shantae game, where it always leaves you wanting more of this world (for good and for bad).

My last disagreement is that for me the game is definitely worth the purchase, particularly since it delivered exactly what I was hoping to see from a new Shantae game. And I don't think the value of a game resides in how long it takes to beat, but whether it provides what you want. I also went between 9-10 hours but those were all had in great fun and I can definitely see myself doing more runs in the future to try out different strategies and approaches, as well as to get all the cards.
    That said, what makes the price questionable is that other similar games (such as Hollow Knight) are cheaper and offer far more depth and challenge. So I would argue that unless someone really wanted to get into Shantae or happens to be a fan, then it really might be best to wait for a sale. In the meantime, Pirate's Curse is also on switch and $10 cheaper

Ah shit definitely forgot this game was coming out and worse I can’t get it at the moment......or RE3, or Nioh 2,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Sega announced a Game Gear Micro coming soon:

Question that's been on my mind latley

which video game franchise do you guys think has the best champion designs?

I personally love almost all of Overwatch's character designs, I think they look great, colorful and original

but I haven't played many of the other games like Valorant, Appex Legends etc. and I've never touched any Moba games like DOTA 2 or League of Legends

so I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the subject, what video game character designs do you think are the best

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Question that's been on my mind latley

which video game franchise do you guys think has the best champion designs?

I personally love almost all of Overwatch's character designs, I think they look great, colorful and original

but I haven't played many of the other games like Valorant, Appex Legends etc. and I've never touched any Moba games like DOTA 2 or League of Legends

so I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the subject, what video game character designs do you think are the best
    Overwatch and LOL has some pretty neat designs, as well as more, khm, fanservicey ones that lack imagination. Lol has more than a hundred characters, so there' enough variety to go around. Valorant's designs seem like muted and tamed Overwatch designs to me, mainly because every character is the same size and there's less room for beastial and more interesting concepts. Apex is the same to me, with an added bonus of throwing thingamagigs onto characters to make them unique without those things serving any apparent purpose.

I watched a video once how with Overwatch, they went out their way to design each character's movement to suit their personality and playstyle that is apparent in first-person as well i.e.: how the characters carry their guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Overwatch and LOL has some pretty neat designs, as well as more, khm, fanservicey ones that lack imagination. Lol has more than a hundred characters, so there' enough variety to go around. Valorant's designs seem like muted and tamed Overwatch designs to me, mainly because every character is the same size and there's less room for beastial and more interesting concepts. Apex is the same to me, with an added bonus of throwing thingamagigs onto characters to make them unique without those things serving any apparent purpose.

I watched a video once how with Overwatch, they went out their way to design each character's movement to suit their personality and playstyle that is apparent in first-person as well i.e.: how the characters carry their guns.
    Yeah Overwatch really goes above and beyond when it comes to making characters, they seem like the gold standard to me

That was part of the reason I asked, cause I wanted to see if there were any other games with really good character designs like them

The TF2 classes are still top-tier designs, majestic in their simplicity and being able to tell at a glance what you're dealing with.

Oh, yeah, I hated that in Apex I never could determine which of the 8 characters I'm facing. They could walk right up to me and I still couldn't see sometimes.

Can we all agree that there never was a Team Fortress 1?

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

In the vein of Street Fighter 1?

Fallout started with 3 and TES started with Skyrim.

TES started with the Bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind.

Persona started with Persona 3.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information