+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dub voices, Japanese Voices, and other things.

Default Re: Dub voices, Japanese Voices, and other things.

I tried to watch the dub of Season 2: 5th Voyage yesterday.

Sorry, English audio got turned on within 5 minutes.

One Piece Dub's suck period. (FUNI and 4kids)

/thread.
    Strings - Classic SEB since 2004
    "I still think you are on the run or something.
    You just look like a different person, in a new place, with a new name in every picture." - Hiroy
    "When the doors of perception are cleansed, man will see things as they truly are, infinite." - William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Strings View Post

/thread.
    The english audio got turned on?

/thread.
    Cool story Bro

Haters gonna hate

I happen to like the dub and sub, so i don't see the problem.

/thread.
    They see me trollin', they hating....

/thread.
    Sorry bro.

It's not "/thread".

Sigh... This thread is teaching me exactly who is that 'type' of anime/manga fan.

The type that shouldn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Smore View Post
    Sorry bro.

It's not "/thread".

Sigh... This thread is teaching me exactly who is that 'type' of anime/manga fan.

The type that shouldn't exist.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and no one should be judged because of their preferences.

Some people just are better at making their opinion sound respectable than others.

That's the whole deal. Present it better. It's hard to respect their 'view' when they don't. A common problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Megumi Hayabashi only has her one voice, but no one is going to confuse her Lina Inverse for her Rei Ayanami. Because she acts different and brings different aspects to her performance.
    Listen to Ai Haibara in Detective Conan (e.g. here) and tell me with a straight face that Hayashibara only has her one voice. Seriously.
    Last edited by Puto; December 16th, 2010 at 05:14 AM.

The FUNi dub is awesome but sometimes I'm dissapointed in how they handled some somes scenes like the Usopp spell.

I listened to dub Zoro and I got to say its nowhere near Japanese Zoro, who has that spark in his voice of sarcasm and super badassness. Although Nami and Ussop are pretty good.
    Boa Hancock FTW

I'd have to say that Nami and Zoro probably have the best (and what feels natural) voice for any of the straw hats. When I read their lines in the comic, I hear the Funimation's version.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

This is hard. I like all of them. In terms of the dub, Zoro is just freakin' badarse, and his 'angry' delivery is just priceless sometimes. Chopper sounds sweet and childlike ('What's a sacrifice'? d'awww..), while Robin- as someone pointed out earlier- sounds more 'femme fatale' than her Japanese counterpart (another way for me to say 'badass', only with a hint of darkness that we know and love) which is what she's supposed to look AND sound like.

And don't get me started on J Michael Tatum's Eneru. He has the EXACT SAME LAUGH as the original, and the voice is smooth, arrogant and controlled yet psychopathic. All-round win.

The only thing that gets me sometimes is the Japanese Luffy. His 'shit's getting real' scream... isn't quite 'crazed' enough for my ears. Colleen's, on the other hand, actually makes it sound like his throat is hurting. May not be intentional, but it just fits 'all-out Luffy' like a glove.

Mrrr, the whole 'Ussop sounds like Krillin' thing doesn't work as a criticism. Okay, if an actor has the same voice for EVERYTHING they do, I suppose to an extent that's a criticism of the actor. But what we're doing here is discussing the actor's suitability for a role, not whether or not so and so really has enough vocal range.

I've seen this criticism (if you can call it that) a LOT on Youtube comments, and it's getting rather tiring... Jason Griffiths is far, far worse for this. It doesn't just sound like a goofy version of his Sonic, it's completely. and. utterly. out of control to boot. Strait on the other hand, retains the goofy nature, but he has an iron-grip over his voice control. Especially when things get serious.
    Last edited by Jacklesbury; January 11th, 2011 at 02:23 PM.

I gotta agree with you on Sonny. This is the reason why I'm really looking forward to Water 7 dubbed, because that'll be mostly "serious Usopp" and I love the way he makes him sound when he's serious. I think he should incorporate some of his Hughes voice into Usopp for some of those W7 scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Sorry, but no.

Strait also plays Bardock.
    I didn't know that until Kai came out and someone told me.
    He also plays Maes Hughes in Fullmetal Alchemist. You have to pay attention to, only the parts where he gets really happy about his daughter to hear even a hint of his Usopp peak through.
    He's also Lupin III in FUNimation's Lupin Movies.
    His Lupin has pretty much none of the Rasp he puts into Kuririn and sounds much more sly.

As for His Usopp, the change between Kuririn and Usopp for Sonny can pretty much be directly compared to Tanaka going from Kuririn to Luffy.

It's the same voice, you can hear it. But there is a completely different energy brought to the character. He goes a less raspier as Kuririn , and Kuririn is often... a good word would be subdued. Yes, he gets silly sometimes, but is mostly more brave and less prone to going "WACKY" which he does with Usopp quite readily.

Tanaka's Kuririn
    It's more subdued and less silly, but very CLEARLY the same voice, ESPECIALLY when she screams in surprise, because that's more expressive. Find a scene in One Piece where Tanaka is being serious as Luffy, and they sound Identical.
    Like This Clip at the end.

I watched One Piece in Japanese first, and was floored. THAT is Kuririn, it's pretty much the exact same voice. Luffy ACTS sillier than Kuririn, so often she does more goofy things with the voice, because the woman can act, but catch Luffy in a more serious situation, and it's the Same Exact Voice. It's still amazing voices for each character, but I DID have to get used to it.

Now,
    Sonny Strait's Kuririn. And here's another, less somber scene.
    See, more subdued. the first one is a serious scene, but as the second clip shows, he's pretty much always like that in comparison to his Usopp.

Now, Here's his Usopp.
    He's always got a goofiness, with higher energy there
    There's also a lot more Rasp. when he's Usopp.
    Just like Tanaka, you can hear his Kuririn peak through during serious moments, but there's a twinge of silliness left in there that his Kuririn doesn't have.

Why don't you notice it with Tanaka? Maybe because you watch the Japanese version with subtitles, so your attention isn't fully on the voices? But it's there. Same with Nozawa's Kureha. The voices are so similar that Daizenshuu EX used One Piece clips to make their "Fake Dragon Ball AF" Trailer.

Son Goku always spoke in this trailer using Kureha clips and Kuririn always spoke using Luffy clips. They fooled a LOT of people. (Videos were taken down due to Toei cracking down)

The point is, yes, those actors do sound similar in their portrayals of the characters. The Usopp-Kuririn situation with Sonny can be directly compared to Luffy-Kuririn for Tanaka. But that doesn't mean anyone is "Bad" for their role.
    To say that "Using the same actor who sounds the same for one big franchise on another big franchise is silly" is like... well
    Mel Gibson is Both Mad Max AND Sgt. Riggs from Lethal Weapon...
    And Harrison Ford is both Han Solo AND Indiana Jones... Han came first, then Indy... Yes, he still sounds like himself and still acts like a smooth motherfucker... but I love Han and I Love Indy... the fact that it's the same guy doesn't cheapen that at all.
    Demon Rin, your too awesome. lol

Seriously, there really is no arguing with this post. If RobbyBevard still doesn't agree, I think we should just leave him be. It seems to me that there is no logical reason for why he dislikes Sonny as Ussop. He's either stubborn, trolling, or doesn't like to lose an argument. No offense Robby. I'm just calling it the way I see it and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

of course, robert's a troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

I like that people keep bringing up other roles where Sonny Straight doesn't sound at all like Krillin, where I had no idea it was him, that prove he has decent range, as a DEFENSE of his Usopp voice, which sounds just like Krillin.

Especially when I clarified my stance on the matter a MONTH ago. Before Demon Rin's essay.

I'm just not hearing the distinction. They're just too similar to me, in that way too distinct a sound of voice.

See, there you have me. I had NO IDEA that he was also Bardock. Completely different voice and take, I never would have guessed it was the same guy. Being the same actor there isn't distracting AT ALL.

Which really, just makes its worse that his Usopp and Krillin are so similar.
    Because its such a DISTINCT reused voice, it throws me off consistently.

Kinda like Leonardo the ninja turtle being the same voice as Kaneda in Akira.

Not every voice being the same as another voice bothers me. Even the super talented VAs only have so many voices and they do a ton of roles and there's going to be some overlap. But when its such a distinctive long running voice that was attached to a particular character for years and years, then showing up on someone else... its really jarring.

A throwaway background character they did the voice for in 3 episodes of one show, going on to be a main character in another? That's different. But an incredibly long running 400 episode, 10 year character, rolling right over into another 400 episode, 10 year character?
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    It was a silly theory. Read: No retort necessary.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

now, robert, suck it up and be a man about your tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

I get what Rupert is saying; tbh he does sound a bit like Krillin, but it's still a great dub of Usopp. I don't find it distracting at all though. Also I think in general Krillin's more serious or solemn than Usopp who is like constantly fooling around/screaming more.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

I like that people keep bringing up other roles where Sonny Straight doesn't sound at all like Krillin, where I had no idea it was him, that prove he has decent range, as a DEFENSE of his Usopp voice, which sounds just like Krillin.

Especially when I clarified my stance on the matter a MONTH ago. Before Demon Rin's essay.
    My point was, Everyone does the exact same thing.

Tanaka uses a DISTINCT voice as BOTH Kuririn and Luffy.

Luffy sounds like a happier and sillier Kuririn, but he still sounds exactly like Kuririn.
    Zoro sounds like Mugen from Samurai Champloo. It's the exact same voice. Mugen is MAYBE a little lazier... (if you can believe Zoro could sound Lazier) but it's the same voice.

Hiroaki Hirata, Sanji, sounds exactly like Pip from Hellsing and Jack Sparrow from the Japanese dub of Pirates of the Caribbean and Kingdom Hearts II.
    Kappei Yamaguchi's Usopp sounds a lot like a Sillier version of His Ranma, catch Ramna during a silly moment, it's a dead Ringer.
    Ikue Ohtani sounds exactly like most of her Roles. Pikachu sounds like Chopper recorded an album about Pokemon and it kept skipping on the word "Pikachu". And, if you've ever watched Detective Conan, a series that started before One Piece and is quite a bit Longer, and VERY well known in Japan now, she plays Mitsuhiko, one of the main characters, it sounds EXACTLY like her Chopper voice. No concessions even have to be made.
    Robin sounds exactly like Ritsuko from Evangelion. It's the exact same voice. She was ICONIC as Ritsuko, Eva is sometimes called the "Star Wars of Anime", and is treated like the holy grail of anime series' by some. She is VERY known for her Ritsuko Voice.
    Franky sounds exactly like Jango. He's gotten to be more expressive with Franky, but it's the same exact voice. Also He really Gay's up Bon Kurei, but it is still VERY clearly the same man. If we ever see a moment where Bon Chan and the current Straw Hats meet up, there is going to be a REALLY awkward moment where Yao is talking to himself and it will be REALLY goddamn obvious.
    Toshio Furukawa's Ace is his Piccolo Voice, pretty much to a T he's a little more of a "Punk" as Ace, but it's the same voice. Right down to the good ole "Kkkch" sound that all the Dragon Ball characters make.
    Kureha sounds Almost the same as Son Goku, so close in fact that Daizenshuu EX was able to trick a huge amount of the Dragon Ball Fanbase into thinking the Kureha voice clips were Goku in "Dragon Ball AF".

Decrying one voice in the dub for something, pretty much the entire Straw Hat Pirate Crew in the Japanese version does QUITE readily is just... odd...

I don't watch Dragon Ball in English, I watch it in Japanese. So I've never 'Gotten Used' to his Kuririn, so I don't know him that way at all. So, when I watch the One Piece dub, I don't hear him "Reusing his Kuririn Voice", I hear him using a voice I think REALLY fits Usopp Well.

Meanwhile, when I watched One Piece in Japanese, I had to get used to Tanaka Reusing her Kuririn Voice with Luffy... so, yeah...
    Nothing here for now

You didn't watch dub Dragonball, so it doesn't register that way for you.

But you apparently have the exact same problem as I do, in reverse, with the Japanese actors.

I don't see where the confusion is.
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    It was a silly theory. Read: No retort necessary.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information