+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dub voices, Japanese Voices, and other things.

Default Re: Dub voices, Japanese Voices, and other things.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    You didn't watch dub Dragonball, so it doesn't register that way for you.

But you apparently have the exact same problem as I do, in reverse, with the Japanese actors.

I don't see where the confusion is.
    The thing is, it's not a "Problem".

It's the same Actress, so I go into it knowing she's going to sound similar. It's an adjustment that has to be made, which is typical in most situations where you REALLY know an actor for one thing and then he does another.

I had to get used to Han Solo being Indiana Jones, but that didn't stop me from thinking his Indy was awesome.
    Nothing here for now

You bring up Harison Ford being both Han Solo and Indiana Jones. But that only works because he went to the other role so quickly, so he wasn't stuck as the character. If he'd done just Han for 9 years and never anything else, no one would have accepted it. Mark Hammil *never* escaped Luke Skywalker, until he became Joker. Leonard Nimoy *never* escaped being Spock. Jaleel White wasn't anything like Steve Urkel, but he hasn't gotten work since Urkel. Jonny Depp and Daniel Day-Lewis are chameleons who are completely different in voice, accent, performance and look in every role they plays, and it sometimes takes a while to realize its them. It doesn't matter what character Jackie Chan is playing in any movie, nobody ever remembers the character name, he's just Jackie Chan.

I have no problem with actors taking on multiple roles, or a VA reusing a voice.

But when there's one specific character they do for a for a long time, thats very distinctive or iconic, and you're exposed to that specific performance for a very long time, (especially with long running tv series) it stands out and that mental association is hard to get over.

They may have gotten more work and played different characters, but you see them, or you hear them, and you instantly think of that one performance. Its typecasting, and it hits some actors worse than others. But thats how recognition works.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

Robby I think we all get what your trying to say. We're just telling you that your being silly and that you shouldn't let something like this keep you from enjoying the dub. I honestly do understand where your coming from because I had the same problem with Sonny's Ussop, It sounded exactly like Krillin. But you know what? I got over it and you know why? Because that voice fits the character so well. In fact it fits so well that I no longer hear that voice and think Krillin, I think Ussop. And this is coming from someone who grew up with funimation's dbz dub.

I love most of the funi dub voices but i'm still trying to warm up to chris sabat's zoro. Its hard accepting a guy who does the voice of almost every character in Funi dubs and then try to ignore that fact when you're listening to zoro in the dub. Its like the guy doesn't know how to change his voice up.

I could say the same thing about Japanese actors luffy and krillin sound really close. Its a little change up but you can still tell its there

I guess I really am one of the few people that actually really like the fact that characters from different shows share the same voice? Why does it seem like people argue about this more than Luffy and Goku having similar personalities, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Toshio Furukawa's Ace is his Piccolo Voice, pretty much to a T he's a little more of a "Punk" as Ace, but it's the same voice. Right down to the good ole "Kkkch" sound that all the Dragon Ball characters make.
    Oh yes, the annoying loogie hocking.

^ I never understood why they did that. It was so annoying and one of the reasons I couldn't enjoy dbz in Japanese. >_<

Even though Ussop sounds like Krillin, I think Funi was right to use Strait as his tone of voice can be very similar to the original actor at times, I mean, listen to Usopp's part in this mix I made months ago:

[YOUTUBE]TSf8srBtx9M[/YOUTUBE]

It almost sounds like one actor switched between singing in two different languages.
    New World is best world.

I don't really care that Usopp sounds like Krillin, but I don't like the voice for Usopp, to be honest. Maybe I'm just used to the German one.

In general I can't say I love the Funi voices. My favorite Straw Hat voice would probably be Sanji's voice, my least favorite Luffy's.

In general, while I know the Funi actors are probably better, I prefer the German voices. The Japanese ones, too, but I think they are better in both regards.
    Last edited by MarcelloF; February 27th, 2011 at 05:27 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

I like the opening song english version better, even though I prefer the voices in japanese. I really don't get it why such a fuss over Luffys voice. It fits his caracter perfectly, at least in my opinion, while the funi luffy voice is a little more childish, and a little forced don't you think. I mean it's kinda raspy-do kids usually have that kind off voice, (sorry dont mean to insult or anything just my opinion).

I think that the english voices for villains are really good, but I can't really compare the two; they're both good and fit the caracters realy well. XD

But the most annoying dub voice, which made me go back to subs is chopers, it just doesn't fit him, and the screaming is really horrible for the ears.

oh, and I don't like how they pronounce the japanese words and names in english

Anyone prefer Mihawk's former VA (Takeshi Aono) ? I do

I think there was an elegance and charisma that the current voice lacks.

Luffy: Japanese VA. I like both but I just think the Japanese suits him better.

Zoro: English. I don't hate the Japanese VA, it just sounds too old for him.

Nami: Tie. I like both voices equally

Usopp: Japanese. The English VA isn't bad but sounds clownish to me at times. (Though no where NEAR as bad as the 4Kids)

Sanji: English. I'm biased but his English VA sounds sexy

Chopper: Tie. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two.

Vivi: English. I thought it fit her better than the Japanese

Robin: English. I love her English VA

Ace: Japanese. His English VA isn't bad, I just do not think it suits him at all. In fact, I cringed everytime he spoke in the funi dub.

Crocodial: Japanese

Buggy: Japanese. I just heard Vegeta in the English.

Enel: English

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Jaleel White wasn't anything like Steve Urkel, but he hasn't gotten work since Urkel.
    Unless we forget "Sonic Underground" where he did three main characters

PS: I always wondered how you spell his first name.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldary View Post
    Luffy: Japanese VA. I like both but I just think the Japanese suits him better.
    You just have to get past the fact it's an old lady.

In fact one of the few good things I can say so far about the FT anime is that Natsu is done by a guy, which I was totaly not expecting.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    Anyone prefer Mihawk's former VA (Takeshi Aono) ? I do

I think there was an elegance and charisma that the current voice lacks.
    His voice was also much deeper, this new Mihawk sounds a bit too young in my opinion.

And of course, the original Jinbei was far superior to the one we have now, his voice just sounds too barky. I know the original voice actor commited suicide, but it would have been nice to get at least a few more eps with him.

I can't stand Chopper's dub voice. It is literally painful to listen to at times.
    Luffy's voice is fitting, but I prefer the Japanese over English.

But there is no arguing that the English Enel is amazing! A great VA choice.

Usopp: Japanese. The English VA isn't bad but sounds clownish to me at times.
    Well, Usopp IS kind of a clown.

What? Vegeta's voice is much deeper. They're not even voiced by the same person.

The English VA voiced Master Roshi but not Vegeta...Zoro voiced Vegeta (and a bunch of other characters) in Dragon Ball.

In general I think both the English and Japanese voice actors in One Piece do a great job. However, one moment that really shocked me was when I heard Crocodile's voice in English for the first time. It's not necessarily bad, but I found it to be such a jump from his Japanese voice that it made it hard to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Evans-Pritchard View Post
    In general I think both the English and Japanese voice actors in One Piece do a great job. However, one moment that really shocked me was when I heard Crocodile's voice in English for the first time. It's not necessarily bad, but I found it to be such a jump from his Japanese voice that it made it hard to enjoy.
    To be fair, you can't really match up with Crocodile's Japanese VA considering his voice is that naturally low.

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post

You just have to get past the fact it's an old lady.
    Yeah and that doesn't bother me at all nor has it ever.

As for Buggy sounding like Vegeta. Sorry that's just what I thought when I heard the voice. Doesn't matter if the voice actors weren't the same it still sounded like Vegeta, at least one of his voices. My friend thought the same.

Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar

John Swasey's Crocodile unfortunately reminded me way too much of Mike Pollock's Eggman, and while I have nothing against Pollock's Eggman, never under any circumstances should Crocodile remind me of him.
    Last edited by Crossword; July 26th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information