Thread: Final Fantasy Thread

Default Re: Final fantasy VIII

Good Lord, that explains much.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    WHHHHHHAAAA!?

They changed stuff????

I didn't even notice O_o

Well....I noticed I could soft reset. That was a really brilliant move consider HOW INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT IT IS FOR THE CARD GAME.

sanji,

The stat gimmicks are a blast.

The GF's are wicked.

The characters are...neat. Some I didn't enjoy back then I had a lot of fun with. Like, did you ever notice how almost no matter where you go, Selphie instantly goes to a window to look outside and she later is the default Ragnarok pilot?

The story is, at times, absurdly forced when it shouldn't be.

Quistis: I'm an highly trained SeeD and I kick ass at killing people so much they made me like the youngest instructor ever or some shit but I might have been too hard on that fragile little daffodil of a woman so let's abandon our post for OUR MISSION TO SAVE A NATION so I can go apologize to her.

Yeah.

Uh-huh.

Right.

I STILL don't mind the 'twist'.

They hinted at it enough and on replaying you can even pick up some of the shit they say so it gets a pass in my book.

The sidequests are a blast.

Squall is...hmmm...while I was a melodramatic teen when I first played and agreed that Squall's turn made sense....yeah, it kinda does....and...I would argue that love can make you do strange things....but....Squall goes through ALL the shit in outer space....then just hands her off????? BUT AFTER A PEPTALK FROM HIS FRAYNDS HE GOES TO GET HER ANYWAY!?

What the hell was that about?????? THAT was jarring. No like.

However, this time around I learned that the mythology of the world they live in, is DEEP AS FUCK. OH MAN! Have you actually read like all the (correct) files and dates that relate to how and why things happened in the world? It's REALLY deep and the design of the world reflects that as well. It makes me wish they actually expanded on it in the main storyline instead of leaving it out there. Especially the moon and Dyne stuff.

And sadly, I can say with conviction now, while it makes a LOT of sense for Rinoa to be Ultimecia, she is not.

There's a line about Griever and why she uses it in the Ultimania that destroys the theory.

FF8 has a lot of room for expansion on its mythology but sadly that story will never be told because we've gotta here about more mother complex bullshit.

Agreed with most of the points. the Quistis part ticked me off.
    Sometimes you wanna blast Squall.

For some reasons, I enjoyed it a lot despite its flaws and plot holes. Maybe its qualities totally overshadowed the flaws. terminator 1 and 2 have a plot holes but they were worth the ride.

The ending was meant to confuse you and speculate a lot.

The story will never ever be expanded.

Ok.. since the wii version of FF1 is a port
    why in the inn does the keeper say remember to hold reset when you turn power off?

and reading the FF8 discussion...im not so sure to continue the game..
    that and the fact PS1 cards are rare now :(
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Default Re: General Final Fantasy Thread!

I'm still trying to get through all these games. So far I've only beatan FFIII(ds) and FFIV(ds). Which is kinda sad seeing how badly I'd like to get through the rest of the series. I'm almost done with V but these bosses are really pissing me off...now I'm on Twintania who is way too fast and overpowered. Grinding for some reason feels pointless at times seeing as I'm gonna die when he uses Gigaflare anyway. But despite this, the game is hella awesome. I'm in the middle of VI which is much more enjoyable than V imo. But I vowed to complete V before I continue VI so....yeah. Never played VII-X but I really...REALLY..want to. I've seen gameplay of all of them and so far IX looks the most interesting imo. But I'm sorta having problems extracting psx games for some reason... I used to own XII but I got stuck so many times I had given up on it and sold it. Now I'm regretting it years later cuz I wanna play it again...but first things first....

Quote Originally Posted by Panekai View Post
    I'm still trying to get through all these games. So far I've only beatan FFIII(ds) and FFIV(ds). Which is kinda sad seeing how badly I'd like to get through the rest of the series. I'm almost done with V but these bosses are really pissing me off...now I'm on Twintania who is way too fast and overpowered. Grinding for some reason feels pointless at times seeing as I'm gonna die when he uses Gigaflare anyway. But despite this, the game is hella awesome. I'm in the middle of VI which is much more enjoyable than V imo. But I vowed to complete V before I continue VI so....yeah. Never played VII-X but I really...REALLY..want to. I've seen gameplay of all of them and so far IX looks the most interesting imo. But I'm sorta having problems extracting psx games for some reason... I used to own XII but I got stuck so many times I had given up on it and sold it. Now I'm regretting it years later cuz I wanna play it again...but first things first....
    9 is a good one. It is the Final fantasy that most people like. It has better plot pace than 7, less confusing than 8. The characters have great developments.

More importantly, there is no fanboys war about it. I love Steiner when he jump.

Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    9 is a good one. It is the Final fantasy that most people like. It has better plot pace than 7, less confusing than 8. The characters have great developments.

More importantly, there is no fanboys war about it. I love Steiner when he jump.
    I would play FFIX again just for the 2 player mode and summons alone.
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

VI is easily the best. IX comes next. I wasn't able to understand much about VIII's story, seeing as how I fucked up the entire experience with a Gameshark, LOL (well actually the first and last RPG that I cheated with a Gameshark). I still plan to play it again in the future (and no Gamesharks this time).

Never played VII, but I plan to. I don't really care what others think about it, I'll pass my own judgment after completing the game myself.
    Last edited by Sick_Fool; February 11th, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

FF6 is the FF you're supposed to like if you wanna be one of the cool kids on the internet. I've noticed this...

Dunno what's with the FFX hate I see here. Yes, the laughing scene was wierd, but damn, it wasn't that bad. Just damn goofy. Don't really see what's wrong with Tidus. He was refreshingly cheery for a FF hero. Plus, I loved the Tidus-Jecht element, and how that evolved during the course of the story. One of the few times a FF plotline really felt viscerally real, I guess you could say. Plus, Jecht and Auron were pretty much the kings of that cast. Plus, the Yevon reveal was just great stuff. Hell, I don't even give a damn about the linearity.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not cynical enough. Never was the cynical type.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shmeckie View Post
    FF6 is the FF you're supposed to like if you wanna be one of the cool kids on the internet. I've noticed this...
    Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Not me, though. IX was my absolute favorite before I finally got my hands on VI. The characters blew me away, and Kefka is like one of the most awesome villains ever.

By the way, found this stuff recently:

http://ffrepublic.com/news/final_fan...Huge-Task-1010

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Sick_Fool; February 11th, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

It just might be that many people on the internet in their mid-to-late twenties that were gamers happened to play FF6 when it first came out and as a game that basically began to change the face of the RPG in America, not to mention being the only RPG that ever managed to handle a massive cast brilliantly with a kick-ass story and villain to boot, rather than being 'cool', they really dug it since it was better than anything they'd ever played.

I think it MIGHT just be possible that new gamers who played FF7 when they got their first system as a PS1 think THAT'S the most impressive RPG.

And mayhaps gamers today in their early 30's (in the days before the internet was vast and sprawling) that imported and played FF5 and subsequently gushed over it in the then prevelent gaming mags around FF7's release creating a fandom of their own.

But, that's probably just crazy talk.

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

I think the "massive cast" is one of the things that kept me from liking FFVI as much as I should. Less than or equal to nine is manageable. Fourteen is overkill (I didn't even know Umaro existed for the longest time). By comparison, the cast of IV was big as well, but they all came and went as the story told plus since everyone has a pre-defined class and set of skills it was alot easier to manage and know how to play.

This is what kinda scaring me away from the Suikoden series, despite hearing such great things.

Yeah, 6 had a lot of throwaway characters, or characters who really should have been temporary. It was pretty cumbersome to keep them all at a decent skill level, which you had to for the final dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Quote Originally Posted by TakinawaTonfa View Post
    This is what kinda scaring me away from the Suikoden series, despite hearing such great things.
    Suikoden actually does a pretty good job of dealing with the large cast. In any of the given games, the main story sticks to, and revolves around, 5-8 characters. (Couple main heroes, couple villains) While there's several more story important characters, its no different that supporting characters in an anime. Everyone else is window dressing. You find a wacky character along the way that you like that amuses you in their 2 minute introduction? Add them to your party. Don't like em? Leave em at the castle and never worry about them again.

Actual combat wise the characters in general play pretty much identical, aside from tanks or those with unique runes, so thats not really much of a factor either. And leveling is a *breeze*, there's a balancing function where characters fighting weaker enemies get less experience, but those below get a lot more. As a result, any random shmuck you add to your party will catch up to the leader's level within a couple fights. And the story never even remotely forces you to use *everyone*, you'll probably have 6 or 8 favorites and stick with them most of the game.

But of the 108 characters you need for the best ending, a lot of those are usually automatic joins, and a lot of them are shopkeepers, weaponsmiths, item sellers, things like that, and will never be an actual part of your party.

Basically, it does a surprisingly good job keeping up a balance.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

The only unbalanced thing in suikoden was how much money you could make by gambling in the first game.

Fun times.

108 characters in Suikoden?! Damn, and I thought Fire Emblem had an extensive cast.

Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    FF8 being a bad game is just some kind of rumor that was passed on through generations. A bit like FF7 being the best without real reasons.

Urban legends.
    I thought we already gave plenty of good reasons why 8 is one of the worst of the series and 7 was one of the best.

Not so much rumour or urban legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shmeckie View Post

Dunno what's with the FFX hate I see here. Yes, the laughing scene was wierd, but damn, it wasn't that bad. Just damn goofy. Don't really see what's wrong with Tidus. He was refreshingly cheery for a FF hero. Plus, I loved the Tidus-Jecht element, and how that evolved during the course of the story. One of the few times a FF plotline really felt viscerally real, I guess you could say. Plus, Jecht and Auron were pretty much the kings of that cast. Plus, the Yevon reveal was just great stuff. Hell, I don't even give a damn about the linearity.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not cynical enough. Never was the cynical type.
    I definately feel that way about VI. Thats why I reckon its the most overrated of the lot. I like it and dont really hold any grudge to it but I've never felt that it was as good as everyone says.

XBL: SympathyX PSN: CTD-SympathyX 3DS: 0344-9267-0120
    Quote Originally Posted by tori22 View Post
    I would say that some of them do u guys are just biass because it's not from the manga. If the filler arc was in the manga then I bet u guys would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by SympathyX View Post
    I thought we already gave plenty of good reasons why 8 is one of the worst of the series and 7 was one of the best.

Not so much rumour or urban legend.

I definately feel that way about VI. Thats why I reckon its the most overrated of the lot. I like it and dont really hold any grudge to it but I've never felt that it was as good as everyone says.
    I guess this is just a matter of point of views.

FF8 is crap because everyone says it and 7 is the best cause everyone says it.

(I didn't even know Umaro existed for the longest time).
    Oddly enough this is how I felt about Cait Sith (albeit one scene), Red XIII (besides looking interesting), Irvine, Quistis, Salamander, Khimari, Lulu and any playable character in 12 whose name isn't Vahn, Balthier and Fran.

And that wouldn't be so bad if some of those games only had six playable characters.

From the cast of 6, only 1 was a complete throwaway.

Gogo.

Not that Gogo wasn't awesome to use, it was just like...WTF mate? Why?

Even Umaro had scenes prior to his joining.

As much as some may think it's 'typical' to love FF6, hating on it for that reason seems just as prevalent. *shrugs*

I can say with certainty though I've never played a FF I didn't like.

Oh and Takinawa, I agree about 4, however, I'm not the biggest fan of that technique only because it doesn't allow you to develop your characters. This is simply the 'shonen jump factor' as related to wanting to make things bigger and better and more powerful, but I admit it can make for a good story.

ie. It's cool to see someone spewing a single Fire 1 before depleting MP only to have that character throwing Ultimas like they're on sale by the end.

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Oddly enough this is how I felt about Cait Sith (albeit one scene), Red XIII (besides looking interesting), Irvine, Quistis, Salamander, Khimari, Lulu and any playable character in 12 whose name isn't Vahn, Balthier and Fran.

And that wouldn't be so bad if some of those games only had six playable characters.
    Just to make sure were on the same page, I wasn't passing any judgment on Umaro, I mean I LITERALLY didn't know he existed. I was reading some other FF6 topic on another forum a long time ago and someone mentioned using Umaro, and I'm thinking "Who the heck is Umaro?" Googled it, and the rest is history.

Everyone else you mentioned at least had the courtesy to introduce themselves straightforwardly so I know they're hanging around and have some purpose. Now, Yuffie and Vincent are guilty of the same thing, but at least they're acknowledged in the instruction manual.

I can say with certainty though I've never played a FF I didn't like.
    At the end of the day, there is no such thing as a BAD Final Fantasy game thats for sure (spinoffs not widthstanding), but we are members of what, you gotta admit, has to be one of the most sharply divided fanbases in video game history.

Oh and uh...I seem to recall a certain someone being a might bit pissed that XII was the way it was...

Oh and Takinawa, I agree about 4, however, I'm not the biggest fan of that technique only because it doesn't allow you to develop your characters. This is simply the 'shonen jump factor' as related to wanting to make things bigger and better and more powerful, but I admit it can make for a good story.

ie. It's cool to see someone spewing a single Fire 1 before depleting MP only to have that character throwing Ultimas like they're on sale by the end.
    Thats one of the things that made V so great for me. By the end of the game you taken the Freelancer and you've basically transformed the otherwise mediocre, undevelopable job into SUPER JOB to fight Exdeath. The customization and skill variety is basically what made game.

By the way, whats your take on FF I, II and III? Nobody ever talks about those games. Aside from II having a cool concept but flawed execution.

III on the DS is a fantastic game but I feel that its mechanics were flawed with a job system that just felt underdeveloped and ropey, especially when you compare it to something as complete as V's

XBL: SympathyX PSN: CTD-SympathyX 3DS: 0344-9267-0120
    Quote Originally Posted by tori22 View Post
    I would say that some of them do u guys are just biass because it's not from the manga. If the filler arc was in the manga then I bet u guys would love it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information