If you want to make an MMO in the spirit of tactics, don't make the walkthrough last 70 hours.
- Allow for casual gamers to level up one class that can play while holding their own in a group.
- Allow for hardcore gamers to mix and match skills in order to create uber classes that excel at PVP and tougher dungeons.
- Make the menu like old Final Fantasy games, no more intricate menu after menu like FFX and on.
Single player games should start with the story, I can't say I've wanted to play a game since FF1-7, 9.
X and X-2 ... wtf was that? Kingdom Hearts made me curious, but that was more about utilizing gimmicks than storytelling.
- Let's go back to turn based, with the ability to play in real time, but without significant advantage to doing so.
- Get rid of the tactics that force side-characters to act on their own, you are given a party, you should control it.
- Kill off main characters like in earlier games, and again this ties into good storytelling, which at some point in the graphics game, Final Fantasy lost the ball.
Final Fantasy 4 has superior aesthetics than FFXIII in my opinion, the sprites and the battle system work and clearly depict a final fantasy game.