View Poll Results: Will One Piece only be an abstract message?

Voters
451. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!! :)

67 14.86%
  • No.

384 85.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The One Piece will NOT be "Friendship/Adventure/Corny Ass Abstract"

Default Re: The One Piece will NOT be "Friendship/Adventure/Corny Ass Abstract"

I've thought about that as well. Of course, such words would have to be phenomenally mind-shattering and/or plot-twisting to be worthy of making such an impact on the world...

There'll be something tangible. Rayleigh confirmed that the Rio Poneglyph is there if I remember right. I don't think there'll be some kind of note from Roger telling everyone what to feel, but I wouldn't doubt it if he wrote his own message on the Rio Poneglyph like he did in Skypiea.
    Edit: Wait. He didn't write on the Poneglyph if I remember right now, but he probably wrote something down in the same language somewhere.

lol I was just on GFs and saw a bunch of morons there pretty confidently agreeing with each other that One Piece was friendship all along. Then I logged on here and saw this topic.
    What the heck is GFs?

I'm not even remotely surprised pacer picked yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by goty View Post
    lol what? Mihawk shits his pants everytime he sees Shanks.

COME ON AND JAM! WASSUP!

Up to now none on the marines had show any sign to be interested in One Piece. If it was somewhat related to the old civilization they should have a more direct approach to it (well, they want to keep it secret, but it seems their intention is to discourage the pirates)

On the other hand I found the idea of One Piece being something abstract too dull and predictable, that's not how Oda's twisted mind works.
    Last edited by Baldulf; January 21st, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

I have chosen to support the abstract group for reasons that my average intellect could not think of a suitable material to represent this thing called "One Piece". An abstract message place on a concrete object is the most probable scenario I can think of.

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Shut up Phenomonyl.

Quote Originally Posted by ABSMr.Prince View Post
    I've always kinda figured we'd get the moral of the story-y sorts of ending with something like "OH IT WAS THE JOURNEY THAT WAS OUR TREASURE ALL ALONG"

That as an ending is kinda cheap, and more or less expected, the only bit of it I think I'd really enjoy is Nami's reaction to the lack of shiny gold pieces for her to hoard.

Not to mention, One Piece (although not the manga) has already pulled that ending once, in the first movie if I recall correctly the treasure was a tattered pirate flag and a note more or less expressing; that your friends and the adventures and time you share(d) with them, are and or is the real treasure.
    1. That's a movie, it has nothing to do with Real One Piece (the manga) and Oda didn't write it.

2. Doesn't that absolutely kill the idea of the real OP being that? Do you think Oda would let the movie producers use the idea he had for the real series? Well. If he were dumb enough to make the ending a sappy one liner maybe he would lol.
    When it comes down to it though, for those of us who have followed the series for years, standing at the horizon, seeing the end just in the distance, it's safe to realize and admit One piece really is the journey, and the friends we have made along it.
    And the brothers terribly skewered, the nations sundered, the wars started...sigh...

Yeah, Lord of the Rings has a lot of FELLOWSHIP thematics too, but that doesn't make it ABOUT that.
    If it were that simple Blackbeard's crew would be a-ok, rather then clearly being set up as thematic villains at odds with Luffy. There's so much more to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeSoul
    I have chosen to support the abstract group for reasons that my average intellect could not think of a suitable material to represent this thing called "One Piece". An abstract message place on a concrete object is the most probable scenario I can think of.
    Then you belong to the No camp.

Of course whatever physical thing it ends up being will have great abstract meaning. That goes without saying.

In fact I'd say people who think it will be a completely meaningless object like gold are only slightly less hopeless then the HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE GRAND LINE LOL people.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

I voted no because I much agreed with everyone. I don't want One Piece to be a corny ass message, that would ruin the entire story. It is much dumb as a theory called "Ivan turned Dragon into a woman, stole a sperm and gave birth to Luffy."

Considering "The great war that will engulf the entire world" they keep bringing up. I'm betting on One Piece being something that leads to 'One Peace."
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Not a chance in hell.
    I thought this idea both was held by few and mostly long ago during simpler times in the story.
    But no apparently it's the second most popular idea for what the One Piece will be.

That's a whole lotta WRONG people.
    I mean I have my personal horse I'm backing, Rio Poneglyph and all.
    But I acknowledge other ideas such as various different material items and some stranger things.

But there is no question what it ISN'T, and it sure as hell isn't going to be "A NOTE FROM ROGER SAYING I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE ADVENTURE :)" or "A MIRROR FOR LOOKING BACK ON THE JOURNEY AND YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS" or "THE JOURNEY IS IT'S OWN REWARD".

You disagree? Well apparently there's an awful lot of you who would.

Bring it. Defend your concept that would be lame and a let down in a Dora the Explorer episode, let alone friggin "my brother just got violently skewered and died in my arms" One Piece.
    Heh I used to be afraid of this being what One Piece would be revealed to be a couple years back but this changed as the Will of D and Roger's connection to the Poneglyphs was brought up in the story. In the end it just seems far more likely (and sensible) to tie the Will of D, One Piece and the Rio Poneglyph/Robin's dream all together. Biggest trolling ever if it was a note from Roger or a mirror.

I also want to congratulate JerkDisease on getting his Next Nakama Rage Boner back. I was worried we lost you buddy.
    3DS Friendcode: 1177-6707-2664

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

One Piece is not some weird abstract thing, it is something tangible, that has actual value in some way. You cannot start a huge event that shakes the world with nothing but FRIENDSHIP or ADVENTURE.

However, One Piece is not the Rio Poneglyph. Luffy's dream is not Robin's dream. One Piece may be related to the Poneglyph, but they will not be the same thing.

As I have said somewhere else before, I think that One Piece is a tiny, desolate utopia of sorts, a blueprint for an ideal, not-totally-oppressive world. Whoever finds it will be expected to expand on that utopia, and so on and so forth, until it envelops the whole world. Therefore, what Gol D. Roger left on Raftel will be "One Piece" of a perfect world. Which is why it's so important that someone with the Will of D. Finds it. Only someone with the Will would be able to successfully expand on what Roger found. And of course, if Blackbeard were to find it, that would just cause all sorts of problems, as the One Piece would end up being mercilessly corrupted.

Not the perfect idea, but it's better than ADVENTURE.

The way One Piece started with it's light tone, adventurous atmosphere, the focus on Luffy building a crew, friendship and dreams and One Piece being announced by the Pirate King Gold Roger as the ultimate goal,... well, at that time I could have still seen the story ending on a simple happy note. At that time One Piece could have still been but an immense hoard of treasure and Luffy in consequence for getting there being acknowledged as Pirate King. Also based on our knowledge of the OP world at that time the other Strawhats could have fulfilled their own dreams simultaneously. Everything would have ended with one big happiness punch.

While this is indeed very cliche, I personally neither doubted nor minded this direction. I simply enjoyed the funny interactions and the exploration of the creatively designed world, which remain my favorite aspects of One Piece until today.

However, Oda steadily built and thickened the plot. Both Luffy and One Piece gained in significance and potential impact to a world which by now has a mysterious dark history and multiple interacting parties with conflicting interests in an unstable balance.
    Luffy has gained potential impact not only through his massive growth and shocking actions but also in personal background (Garp, Dragon, D., similarities to Gol D. Roger,..). The discovery of One Piece has likewise been build up to something world-changing, that is if it's the right person... meaning Luffy.

Obviously - and here I agree wholeheartedly with JD and the majority of the voters - with the knowledge and expectations we have come to have, it would be a huge let-down if One Piece now turned out to be just a treasure or just a note saying "Good
    job.", "Friends are the most important" or "Follow your dreams" or any kind of object only implying those things. Also, I would be highly disappointed if Oda finished with an epilogue like "And after Luffy and his crew found One Piece and revealed its secret, the surprise and shock fueled a chain reaction that led to the fall of the oppressive Government and changed it completely".

I want to know what will happen exactly. Thus the (re)discovery of One Piece has moved to an earlier stage in the story.

As for the ending, I would still like the happy version. After helping to overturn the World Government and everything, I would like to see them realizing that Nami still hasnt finished her map and Sanji still hasnt found all-blue and to continue their voyage into the vast seas, thus finishing with what it started friendship and dreams.

I don't think the tone has changed.
    Just that we're privy to more of what's going on in the macro stage.
    OP started like all epic hero's journey stories, in simpler little provinces far away from the big players. The Shire, Tatooine, etc.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

1. That's a movie, it has nothing to do with Real One Piece (the manga) and Oda didn't write it.

2. Doesn't that absolutely kill the idea of the real OP being that? Do you think Oda would let the movie producers use the idea he had for the real series? Well. If he were dumb enough to make the ending a sappy one liner maybe he would lol.
    And the brothers terribly skewered, the nations sundered, the wars started...sigh...

Yeah, Lord of the Rings has a lot of FELLOWSHIP thematics too, but that doesn't make it ABOUT that.
    If it were that simple Blackbeard's crew would be a-ok, rather then clearly being set up as thematic villains at odds with Luffy. There's so much more to this story.

Then you belong to the No camp.

Of course whatever physical thing it ends up being will have great abstract meaning. That goes without saying.

In fact I'd say people who think it will be a completely meaningless object like gold are only slightly less hopeless then the HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE GRAND LINE LOL people.

I'm not stating a firm position on the matter really, It's all up to Oda in my eyes I think he is a brilliant story teller and however he presents whatever "One Piece" really is fine with me, he really hasn't let me down in the past and he never seems to disappoint, whatever the ending is I'm sure he will be able to justify it.

as for my post I think you misunderstood a bit, but it doesn't matter. I was mostly talking about my personal opinions on the matter, I just don't see him leaving it to something like a note, I don't think he would have let the movie do that if that was his real ending, it's mostly a cop out.

I was mostly just saying that no matter how it ends it's a great story, it's been able to affect me personally, and that's damned powerful.
    Follow me on tumblr if you'd like: http://gentlemencinder.tumblr.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    lemme know if i'm missing something.... but did robin just shove a tree up the stay-puff marshmallow man's ass?

I don't think the tone has changed.
    Just that we're privy to more of what's going on in the macro stage.
    OP started like all epic hero's journey stories, in simpler little provinces far away from the big players. The Shire, Tatooine, etc.
    Agreed and I'm happy that this is the case.

However, I think OP does differ to Star Wars as Luffy already had an own dream to accomplish when the story started, one which by itself would have sufficed for an entertaining easy read. Even without the void century, will of D., poneglyph and the revolutionaries, the strawhats could have an adventure culminating in the confrontation with black beard and the discovery of One Piece. We only slowly found out that there are issues on the macro stage while Star Wars puts it right in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by ABSMr.Prince View Post
    I'm not stating a firm position on the matter really, It's all up to Oda in my eyes I think he is a brilliant story teller and however he presents whatever "One Piece" really is fine with me, he really hasn't let me down in the past and he never seems to disappoint, whatever the ending is I'm sure he will be able to justify it.
    The reason Oda is good is because of what he doesn't do as much as what he does.

The Pluton will be at Raftel :O (the original that franky's blueprints came from)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerri View Post
    The way One Piece started with it's light tone, adventurous atmosphere, the focus on Luffy building a crew, friendship and dreams and One Piece being announced by the Pirate King Gold Roger as the ultimate goal,... well, at that time I could have still seen the story ending on a simple happy note. At that time One Piece could have still been but an immense hoard of treasure and Luffy in consequence for getting there being acknowledged as Pirate King. Also based on our knowledge of the OP world at that time the other Strawhats could have fulfilled their own dreams simultaneously. Everything would have ended with one big happiness punch.

While this is indeed very cliche, I personally neither doubted nor minded this direction. I simply enjoyed the funny interactions and the exploration of the creatively designed world, which remain my favorite aspects of One Piece until today.

However, Oda steadily built and thickened the plot. Both Luffy and One Piece gained in significance and potential impact to a world which by now has a mysterious dark history and multiple interacting parties with conflicting interests in an unstable balance.
    Luffy has gained potential impact not only through his massive growth and shocking actions but also in personal background (Garp, Dragon, D., similarities to Gol D. Roger,..). The discovery of One Piece has likewise been build up to something world-changing, that is if it's the right person... meaning Luffy.

Obviously - and here I agree wholeheartedly with JD and the majority of the voters - with the knowledge and expectations we have come to have, it would be a huge let-down if One Piece now turned out to be just a treasure or just a note saying "Good
    job.", "Friends are the most important" or "Follow your dreams" or any kind of object only implying those things. Also, I would be highly disappointed if Oda finished with an epilogue like "And after Luffy and his crew found One Piece and revealed its secret, the surprise and shock fueled a chain reaction that led to the fall of the oppressive Government and changed it completely".

I want to know what will happen exactly. Thus the (re)discovery of One Piece has moved to an earlier stage in the story.

As for the ending, I would still like the happy version. After helping to overturn the World Government and everything, I would like to see them realizing that Nami still hasnt finished her map and Sanji still hasnt found all-blue and to continue their voyage into the vast seas, thus finishing with what it started friendship and dreams.
    Yeah but One Piece is not as simple as the beginning. Sure the beginning was cliched but as Oda got far into the series, it became complex and less cliche. One Piece is not just about adventure and friendship but it also means many other things.

That was why I labled the East Blue Saga as the weakest because it was much of an "yeah, yeah, been there, done that"

Plus the tone has changed a little. Also by the end of the story, things could be way more deep, dark and complex then it is now
    Last edited by joekido the Second; January 21st, 2011 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
    The Pluton will be at Raftel :O (the original that franky's blueprints came from)
    Doubt it. At the moment the strawhats finding ancient weapons is about as dangerous to the World Government as them finding a big bowl of cotton candy. What I mean is ancient weapons by themselves do not tie into any of the SH dreams. They never sought open conflict, they only reacted to threats to what is dear to them (friends or dreams).

What I am still missing is the trigger for the events to start. I guess it has to connect the void century and the governments dealing during it to the present and create an reaction in Luffy&Co.

In some sense, I hope that there is some sort of congratulatory note from Roger at Raftel. Getting there was probably no easy feat for Roger's crew; some recognition for whoever makes it there that they have made sacrifices, that they have shown incredible bravery, strength, and luck just seems fitting. That, and a complete history of the world, showing how the presence or absence of the World Government would have seriously altered the world as it exists- for better as well as worse.

Also, the One Ring would be nice.
    “We could not be fulfilled if we weren't inauthentic some of the time—inauthentic, that is, in relation to such things as our passing desires to throttle our children, poison our spouse, or end our marriage over a dispute about changing a lightbulb.” – Alain de Botton

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information