+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Funi Files Lawsuit

Default Funi Files Lawsuit

This morning it came down that Funimation file a lawsuit against '1,337 "John Does"' for copyright infringement involving the distribution of One Piece episode 481. It seems to involve BitTorrents since the episode was btained and distributed. The file in question seems to be a fansub and now a rip from the Funi site.

What is interesting is that Funi is filing suit for a One Piece episode since they could do this for any of their series since it is common knowledge that all and any anime can be found via BitTorrents. So why One Piece and why this episode?

Details can be found here.

Default Re: Funi Files Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDPirate View Post
    This morning it came down that Funimation file a lawsuit against '1,337 "John Does"' for copyright infringement involving the distribution of One Piece episode 481. It seems to involve BitTorrents since the episode was btained and distributed. The file in question seems to be a fansub and now a rip from the Funi site.

What is interesting is that Funi is filing suit for a One Piece episode since they could do this for any of their series since it is common knowledge that all and any anime can be found via BitTorrents. So why One Piece and why this episode?

Details can be found here.
    IDK. But this certainly is big news.
    I guess they wanna send out a message. That they want to actually GET more One Piece. But I hope this shows everyone, Funi isn't fucking around. They ARE interested in continuing One Piece and they ARE going to make sure they get what they intended.

Quote Originally Posted by frog261642 View Post
    IDK. But this certainly is big news.
    I guess they wanna send out a message. That they want to actually GET more One Piece. But I hope this shows everyone, Funi isn't fucking around. They ARE interested in continuing One Piece and they ARE going to make sure they get what they intended.
    Which is fine except for the 61,838,154 people who speak the same English Funi dubs it into and yet don't have it made available in their country; like the 508 episodes in Dragon Ball franchise.

Regardless; I don't bother with the Dub unless I stumble upon a stream.
    Last edited by Flux; January 25th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Which is fine except for the 61,838,154 people who speak the same English Funi dubs it into and yet don't have it made available in their country; like the 508 episodes in Dragon Ball franchise.

Regardless; I don't bother with the Dub unless I stumble upon a stream.
    Okay. Your backwards logic amazes me.
    You can view it online. Granted, you can't get a hard copy yet.
    But its online for everyone to view.

You don't bother with the dub? Great...yet someone else who thinks funi sucks.
    You really aren't entitled to someone elses subs. You know this. Yet you will continue to ignore this fact and watch them anyway.

482 wasn't a dubbed episode. It was subbed by funimation themselves. That way, they could actually profit on this. Its fine that you don't bother with the dub...I suppose... But the least you could do is watch the subbed episodes on funimations site. At least give them that much respect.

Flux lives in the UK. He cannot legally stream it.

Also, yay for news.
    "I always think that true geniuses are those who excrete their ideas and creations literally like shit, then flush them and never care." -- A fan on Toriyama Akira

You really aren't entitled to someone elses subs. You know this. Yet you will continue to ignore this fact and watch them anyway.

482 wasn't a dubbed episode. It was subbed by funimation themselves. That way, they could actually profit on this. Its fine that you don't bother with the dub...I suppose... But the least you could do is watch the subbed episodes on funimations site. At least give them that much respect.
    Firstly I cannot view it online.

Secondly; I know it was subbed by Funi; I was talking about Dubs because uhh, I was talking about Funi dubbing the series in relation to your claim Funi have unwavering plans for the franchise.

Thirdly; I don't think the Dub 'sucks,' - the Funi Dub is done fantastically. I just can't be bothered with the hassle to watch it anymore, which is why I said 'I don't bother with it anymore.'

And finally, I didn't download the Sub; nor did I watch it; nor did I claim I am entitled to subs. I don't watch the anime anymore and if it is it's via a fandub on some crappy streaming site and I certainly do not feel, nor did I ever say I was 'entitled' to them.
    Last edited by Flux; January 25th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

The problem is that after a few days or so, the episode is transferred over to Hulu, rendering it completely unviewable for any English-speaking non-American fans of One Piece; same goes for any earlier episodes that are uploaded, which are sent straight to Hulu. There were quite a few dubbed episodes that I had wanted to watch to hear how good the performances were, but thanks to those episodes being on Hulu, I can't, despite living about half an hour away from the American border.

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

Funimation blocks anyone who isn't in the USA.
    Like me, he can't just watch it online legally.

Anyway, this lawsuit is a freaking joke, suing '1,337' anonymous people?
    What damages have Funi lost exactly?
    I'd love to see them prove actual loses.

Also they want all copies destroyed?
    On the internet!?
    Last edited by dan2026; January 25th, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
    The problem is that after a few days or so, the episode is transferred over to Hulu, rendering it completely unviewable for any English-speaking non-American fans of One Piece; same goes for any earlier episodes that are uploaded, which are sent straight to Hulu. There were quite a few dubbed episodes that I had wanted to watch to hear how good the performances were, but thanks to those episodes being on Hulu, I can't, despite living about half an hour away from the American border.
    Okay. But again, you have the option of watching the subs. That was the problem here. Not the dubs.

You can talk about the dubs all you want. Or not considering you can't.
    Certainly is weird that funimation wants to do that. It is a problem that should be fixed. But I think its just because Hulu sucks.

And if you're a half hour away, don't you have the option of buying them? I suppose it would cost a lot more and take longer. But...yeah...

The person getting sued is someone who deliberately took funimations sub, put it on their own site and didn't notify funimation of this.

But about your dub problem, if they could put One Piece on Itunes I'm sure many of you would be happy campers. But again, thats not what this discussion is about.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDPirate View Post
    This morning it came down that Funimation file a lawsuit against '1,337 "John Does"' f
    Ugh...why didn't I see this before...
    1337? This isn't real. Its an elaborate prank by someone.
    Great...Now I feel so utterly stupid for falling for this...

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

I thought at first it was a wild coincidence that the number of people sued is 1337. o_0 Is this just a hoax?

But uh... http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?id=70096

self-proclaimed bon vivant kenjisalk's Avatar

Hilarious marketing prank, or bizarre coincidence? I'm leaning towards the former.

of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar

I'm going to purchase the documents when I get out of [law] school so I can read through them. I don't think it's a prank.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by kenjisalk View Post
    Hilarious marketing prank, or bizarre coincidence? I'm leaning towards the former.
    It seems legitimate... my boyfriend checked out a legal document and it listed all of them, IP addresses and everything. (No names, mind you, but the free-distribution of these peoples' IP addresses gets to me...)

If this is a joke, I'm not sure it would have gone this far

Although UKers (and elsewhere for that matter) will be pleased to know that none of these people are outside of the US. It's all the people who have no excuse, because they can easily get to Funi's site. (Having said that, I guess I could have stuck with my AnimePrivate subscription, we just got torrents when we caught up with the series because HorribleSubs gets it out faster.. so I guess I don't really have an excuse now I think of it <_< eep..)
    Last edited by Jacklesbury; January 25th, 2011 at 11:45 AM.

Hey Funi, sup ?

There is not one single thing in my country that's connected to One Piece, not even a figure or fan shop haha. I think i DLed EP 481 via torrent XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD... Or was it Ep482?

Nah. It was 482 :D. I dled 481 via MU.

Well I can't be sued anyways.

R.I.P BFBC2
    Salute! A hero.

So does this lawsuit cover the Funi sub, or all fansubs of 481?

I would think it's the former, which is understandable, I can't see how they can claim any intellectual property on anything other than their dub and sub, since the original series would be copyrighted by Toei and it would be their series.

At least I think this is the case?

Need to see many different people post about how they're actually getting sued before I believe it. 1,337 does seem to be a weird random number, and it seems weird that Funi would do anything other than warn them at first.

Wait a minute, what is so special about the number 1337? Is it some kind of magical, elite number?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahkyn View Post
    Wait a minute, what is so special about the number 1337? Is it some kind of magical, elite number?
    Yeah..... eleet :p

R.I.P BFBC2
    Salute! A hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahkyn View Post
    Elite is...one way of putting it...
    Its basically "internet speak" or as I like to put it "stupid speak".

Here is an example sentence:
    D00Dz!!! i LiEk T0tAllY |_Uv oNe P|eCE!!11!!

....yep...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information