+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Funi Files Lawsuit

Default Re: Funi Files Lawsuit

An International Version of the BBC iPlayer is happening in 2011 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Elric View Post
    how about we make our next poll: did you know downloading fansubs is illegal?
    No need for sarcasm. I'm just saying you guys could give a little warning about the fact that we could be receiving a $300+ fine.

Anyways, if funi is doing this because of that incident with their simulcast being distributed before it was intended then they should be going after horriblesubs and the people who dl their rips. Something just seems off about this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mashimizu View Post
    No need for sarcasm. I'm just saying you guys could give a little warning about the fact that we could be receiving a $300+ fine.

Anyways, if funi is doing this because of that incident with their simulcast being distributed before it was intended then they should be going after horriblesubs and the people who dl their rips. Something just seems off about this whole thing.
    As I said before, Funi most likely want to go after the fansubs and rip groups but most likely they can't because those people and/or servers are outside the United States. Funimation only has power within America and anybody outside of the country are 'safe'. There are ways for Funi to get those people but those ways take a lot of work and it really depends if the other country wishes to help out. So instead Funi is doing what they can which in this case involves filing a lawsuit to people who upload/distribute the fansub.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Well then what was the fuss over Kingloser's post when he was quite simply stating to the people who enthusiastically await leaked chapters each week and yet claim the highground on those who illegally download that they're being a bit hypocritical on that front?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but this guy keeps coming down on me for doing something I Repetedly try to to tell him I am NOT doing.

Let me repeat this as plainly and simply as I can.

Downloading illegal anime episodes is in NO way any less or more illegal than downloading manga chapters.
    LET ME REPEAT.
    Downloading illegal anime episodes is, in NO WAY, any more or less illegal than downloading manga chapters.

My ONLY problem is with the people who are fucking villainizing FUNimation for trying to do something about it like these people are god damned entitled to have those illegal anime episodes.

News flash people: None of us, I repeat, NONE OF US are entitled to be able to illegally download One Piece in ANY FORM. That includes anime AND the fucking manga. You all, myself included, are doing something illegal. WE are the fucking bad guys. There is NOTHNG WRONG with a rights holder trying to protect their IP.

Now stop acting like I'm sitting on some fucking high horse I was never on.
    Nothing here for now

Whoah; I like you and all, and you're damn smart about the manga but just what the fuck was that? Chill out.
    And I think this thread has been pretty much reasonable and devoid of those you're talking of anyway.

And I never 'acted like you were on a fucking high horse.' I was not talking to you or about you.
    In fact KingLoser's original post goes 'How many people who' ... not 'Demon Rin does this, Demon Rin does that'
    Last edited by Flux; January 26th, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

BEST! BREAST!! CON-TEST!!! dirt monkey AL's Avatar

shut up, kuminator

kingidiot was implying that she felt entitled to our manga fix

simple as that
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    News flash people: None of us, I repeat, NONE OF US are entitled to be able to illegally download One Piece in ANY FORM. That includes anime AND the fucking manga. You all, myself included, are doing something illegal. WE are the fucking bad guys. There is NOTHNG WRONG with a rights holder trying to protect their IP.

Now stop acting like I'm sitting on some fucking high horse I was never on.
    Eh, I think calling yourself the 'bad guy' is a bit much. Like I said before...

I don't really have any moral opposition to pirating and I hope the 1,337 that are being sued get off as easy as possible (If not avoid punishment outright), but I don't think reading scanlations is exactly the same thing. Whose money are you taking away, exactly? The current chapters won't be released until the mid or late 2010s, at the moment there's no wallet to give the money to, and if they buy the manga volumes whenever they're released I don't see how they're causing any financial loss at all. They're buying everything that's possible to buy.
    Reading scanlations of new chapters might be illegal, but I can't think of any way that it causes any harm. The people reading it are almost entirely those who can't speak Japanese and wouldn't buy the original version anyway, so no losses there. You're not taking anything away from Viz because the English version of the current chapters entail a product that doesn't exist yet. If you buy the manga releases as they come out, then you're buying every English product that actually exists and doing everything you can to support the company.

I don't know, I just think the "I'm the bad guy even though what I'm doing causes no damage to anything, if I was caught I'd deserve to be punished even though what I'm doing is harmless and I give Viz every dollar I possibly can since I consistently buy the English releases" attitude's a bit much. You seem to be equating morality with legality, when they really aren't always the same.

Oda himself, people who work for and through Oda, people who distribute and translate the manga, people who translate and distribute the anime, and people who dub the anime don't get paid.

For people other than Oda, it's already a hard enough industry to get a pay check that actually pays the bills.

So people that work for companies like FUNimation or animate for Toei are the ones getting the short end of this stick.

That's damage, and to say otherwise is ignorance.
    Last edited by dirt monkey AL; January 26th, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
    And when this manga closes out, and Luffy's arm stretches back to deliver that last punch, I wanna feel the crunch of the dream coming true.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    Damn, I thought this forum was bad...I made the mistake of reading the replies on the Yibis forum.

To those complaining about FUNimation not providing international simulcasts, read this article by Lance (FUNi Marketing Director) concerning international releases of simulcasts:
    http://blog.funimation.com/2011/01/a...nd-the-future/

Here's an excerpt:

We said it on the podcast, but if you're living internationally, bother Toei Animation as much as you can (and the companies you want to provide it) to start simulcasting the series. Companies like Madmen who are already distributing the series are more likely to fall with pressure since they already own the rights, they may just need to get the simulcasting rights. For example, in Australia, you guys got FMA: Brotherhood streaming. It's doable. Just take some time out of your day and right a letter, call someone, it's easy.

If American fans continue to download the series illegally or stream it illegally instead of using the easy to find proper channels, we will lose the series forever. No doubt about that.
    Whilst i may agree with you that we should contact the companys, im not too sure that that would be of any use in Ireland.
    As it says in the article bbcs iplayer in unavailable in the USA, but it is also not available in Ireland, so judgeing from that there is the chance that if the UK got the rights to do it Ireland would still be unable to watch it. And as there is no anime companies in ireland, there is really noone i would be able to send letters to, to ask them to aquire the rights to it.
    Too much blood in my alcohol system.

Ireland has the same region codes as the UK. Easy and legal import.

It's like how Canadians can import our DVD sets, but Austrailians and UKers can't.

Wait, I don't understand. How does reading scanlations of newly released Japanese chapters do any financial damage to Viz (people who distribute and translate the manga) if you buy every single volume that Viz releases, ie you pay for every product that you can possibly pay for? I'm not saying the scanlation business itself does no harm, just that I don't see how a single person reading scanlations does any harm if they buy every English release whenever it comes out. And I don't get where the anime comes in, since I never said anything relating to the anime. Are you sure you're not misreading my post?

You're not buying the original Japanese Shounen Jump from whence those scans came.

More lost revenue.

I listed the anime stuff to clarify so idiots can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Badass SnoCone View Post
    Because he's basically been repeating the same thing over and over again no matter how many times people say exactly what I did in my post.
    Your point disproves nothing

Badass Snocone: Humph, people who download Anime illegially, tsk tsk
    ???: lol, don't you read Manga ilegally
    Badass Snocone: YEAH, BUT I KNOW ITS WRONG

They also know its wrong, and they give as much of a shit as you.

In short, he means that you should stop taking the high ground, and you should

Quote Originally Posted by dirt monkey AL View Post
    You're not buying the original Japanese Shounen Jump from whence those scans came.

More lost revenue.
    Oh well, it doesn't really matter. Oda's probably so rich at this point from the Japanese fanbase that he could buy Japan if he wanted to.

But the point is that it's not just Oda getting the money. He has never been the only one getting the money for making this manga. Shueisha distributes it in Japan, and there are lots of people who in the long and short run might just be dropped because the revenue isn't coming in from people that steal the manga.

Same thing for the anime with Toei.

Ireland has the same region codes as the UK. Easy and legal import.

It's like how Canadians can import our DVD sets, but Austrailians and UKers can't.
    I suppose thats true. I just think it would be a good idea for toei to work with some translaters and have a monthly or yearly subscription service and simulcast it and have a download to own service included world wide.
    Too much blood in my alcohol system.

But the point is that it's not just Oda getting the money. He has never been the only one getting the money for making this manga. Shueisha distributes it in Japan, and there are lots of people who in the long and short run might just be dropped because the revenue isn't coming in from people that steal the manga.

Same thing for the anime with Toei.
    What if I wait until One Piece enters the public domain to download it?

of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
    What if I wait until One Piece enters the public domain to download it?
    I hope you're speaking hypothetically, because if not, you'll be waiting a very, very long time.

But hypothetically then, yes, sure, that'd be legal.

When, in the 50 or 70 years after Oda dies or the copyright expires?

Go ahead, and download in the future.

My lure-out strategy. GumGumBattleAxe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    I hope you're speaking hypothetically, because if not, you'll be waiting a very, very long time.

But hypothetically then, yes, sure, that'd be legal.
    what makes something in the public domain and not in it?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information