+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Funi Files Lawsuit

Default Re: Funi Files Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Badass SnoCone View Post
    What kind of fines would these people have to pay? Anything drastic?

They pirated one episode of one piece. Funi's sets contain 13 episodes for about 50 dollars. Does that mean that funi places the value of one episode at $3.85? So...is that the amount of money they'll have to pay?
    I think I remember it being said for the amount of money their aiming for, it'd be around $100-200 from each person....yeah. A bit steep there...if not as drastic as $1,000 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahkyn View Post
    So does this lawsuit cover the Funi sub, or all fansubs of 481?

I would think it's the former, which is understandable, I can't see how they can claim any intellectual property on anything other than their dub and sub, since the original series would be copyrighted by Toei and it would be their series.

At least I think this is the case?
    Toei Authorized FUNi to sue on their behalf. SoftX did the same with Slayers Revolution. FUNi was taking down fansubs of it BEFORE they had even licensed or produced any of their release of it.

If people live in the US (and the people being sued all live in the US), and have access to the latest episode of One Piece, fully subtitled and put online roughly an hour and a half after it airs in Japan, why bother pirating it? It's not like they'll lose access to the episode. It's always there. On Hulu/Funimation's site and can be watched anytime.

Still. I find this lawsuit business a little bit drastic...
    I agree with this one wholeheartedly. I'm just glad I smartened up and switched to simulcast-exclusive once we had it.
    There really is no reason for a US fan to download a fansub of episodes post 395 (or wherever they started), I really don't see a reason for it at all.

Now RAWS I could see, some people like to make AMVs, but Fansubs? AMVs made using fansubs look terrible.
    Nothing here for now

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by HiroVoid View Post
    I think I remember it being said for the amount of money their aiming for, it'd be around $100-200 from each person....yeah. A bit steep there...if not as drastic as $1,000 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by from site in first post
    FUNimation are bringing this suit with a view to winning damages of $150,000 as well as costs from the defendants listed, together with an injunction against any other similar activity in the future.
    also : http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?id=70096

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    $150,000??

Thats....what all of the people owe in total, right? Right? If not, then isn't that going just a little overboard?

Also, just How many people are being sued?

$150,000??

Thats....what all of the people owe in total, right? Right? If not, then isn't that going just a little overboard?

Also, just How many people are being sued?
    I gues 1,337 people are being sued. I don't seriously see suing $150,000 from each person though which is why I divided it up.

FUNimation are bringing this suit with a view to winning damages of $150,000 as well as costs from the defendants listed, together with an injunction against any other similar activity in the future.
    So what's the difference between damages and the costs from the defendants listed?

Oh, right. 1337. It was already mentioned. Sorry.

So, if 150,000 dollars is the total amount they seek, then that means each of the 1337 people will have to pay about $112?

Quote Originally Posted by HiroVoid View Post
    I gues 1,337 people are being sued. I don't seriously see suing $150,000 from each person though which is why I divided it up.

So what's the difference between damages and the costs from the defendants listed?
    From the article, it sounds like they want to get winnings for damages of $150,00 all together. So if I am reading this right then it means they want a total of $150,00 all together.

So once the math is done they are only asking for around $112.19 bucks per person. Which is about two One Piece DVD sets. haha

If this is correct then Funi really are heavy hitters. haha

The FUNI white knights strike again?

Hmmm
    Strings - Classic SEB since 2004
    "I still think you are on the run or something.
    You just look like a different person, in a new place, with a new name in every picture." - Hiroy
    "When the doors of perception are cleansed, man will see things as they truly are, infinite." - William Blake

The North American Anime Industry needs to make examples out of criminals. Something big, drastic, and loud that will scare users off from stealing as much as possible. While I would prefer more focus on the groups releasing the illegal files, if the fandom knows that even individuals are fair game than that idea will spread like a plague.

And yes, I did just reference Inception. ;)
    "I always think that true geniuses are those who excrete their ideas and creations literally like shit, then flush them and never care." -- A fan on Toriyama Akira

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugi's Black Magician View Post
    And yes, I did just reference Inception. ;)
    I was like

And then I was like 'Oh Mal and what Cobb did"
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

My lure-out strategy. GumGumBattleAxe's Avatar

It surprises me that their lawsuit is about THIS, and yet I can't help but not be surprised by it...one piece has been heavily pirated in the past and it makes sense that they'd sue people and slap huge fines on them in order to squeeze out whatever money they want from the franchise, but really? 481? Subtitled? Not...any of the dubbed episodes that one can probably find?

Psssh....I dunno how I feel about that. They post subtitled episodes and dubbed episodes on their website where folks can view them for free. Why get bent out of shape when they're doing THAT, and charging 30-50 bucks a pop on a DVD release?

Was this particular fansub being done for profit or to make money? If not, this seems to me like them hastily and shabbily taking a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDPirate View Post
    From the article, it sounds like they want to get winnings for damages of $150,00 all together. So if I am reading this right then it means they want a total of $150,00 all together.

So once the math is done they are only asking for around $112.19 bucks per person. Which is about two One Piece DVD sets. haha

If this is correct then Funi really are heavy hitters. haha
    Honestly, I'm having a hard time paying my bills right now, but If I had a 112 dollar fine I had to pay for anything, we could swing it easily right now.

Hell, my brother just had to pay 160 bucks the other day for lightly rear-ending someone.

This is equivalent to a slap on the wrist, but a symbolic one saying that FUNi are serious about going after fan-subbers now. I see this mostly as a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Strings View Post

Hmmm
    Ok seriously?

Whether you wana believe it or not, downloading One Piece is illegal. It was even illegal before FUNi licensed it, that was just before there was anyone in the US who had the rights to go after you, Toei always did.

A while ago, my internet was temporarily canceled and I had to get it turned back on. The reason: I downloaded a movie and Cox does that when they get a complain from a movie studio.
    I didn't bitch and moan at the company, I was stupid for downloading that movie in a track-able way. I know DAMN Well what I did was illegal.

Fansubs ARE Illegal. Fucking Deal with it. Don't feel like just because you don't like FUNimation's stream for your own various reasons, you are somehow entitled. You never were, it was always illegal, like I said, Toei just never had the means to go after fansubbers in the US no matter how much they wanted to.

Now that Toei has told FUNi to go after fansubbers, this is what we get.
    It really is more like Toei is going after you than FUNi, because right now FUNi is basically acting on Toei's behalf.
    Nothing here for now

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Oh so now it's okay to use proxies to dupe websites into giving content to people who by Funi's definition, shouldn't be getting it ?

What happened to Mr. Morals?
    Well first off, I don't have any morals.
    Unless what you consider I say to be morality, in which case I'm sorry that you got the wrong impression.

Just simply, when I first read that, I read it as "I can watch funimations shows if I just change my servers." Though upon further inspection that wasn't the case.

But I believe that if that TRULY is the only way you can get it, then go for it. You can't get it any other way. If you really want the dub, I suppose you have the right.

However, this is once again a problem of pirating the actual subs. Which are streamed for everyone to see when they first come out. In which case you have no excuse. I feel I have been over this enough times already.

Short of these episodes never being released on home video by Toei (hah!) these episodes will eventually be released on an official format that one may import. It is the fault of the indvidual if they refuse to wait for that day and decide to illegally obtain said episode.
    "I always think that true geniuses are those who excrete their ideas and creations literally like shit, then flush them and never care." -- A fan on Toriyama Akira

Bit surprised that law action is taking place about this, but I think Rin said it best. Fansubs are illegal. Even before the Funi dub/subs it was illegal, albeit we felt we needed to back than, as there wasn't a proper dub. The same goes for country's that don't get the privilege of episodes subbed an hour after they premiered in Japan, or episodes in English with a faithful, and great dub.

But to those in the country, It seems very stupid to be using fansubs at this point. We get a very nice sub every week, an hour after it premiers in Japan. I guess I understand the reasons of fansubs, because they are "More accurate, and proof read" but the Simulcast hasn't had that many problems. Yes, there have been some problems, and I don't agree with certain translations of things(Such as leaving Haki untranslated) However for the most part, it's pretty damn good, and much better than before, which we would have to wait days after the episode aired to get subs(And the faster released subs had more problems than the simulcast) and enjoy the episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    Well do you really think Trojan Condoms needs 12 year-olds that are up really late to see their commercials?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    Yes, in fact I do. These brats today don't wait anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by frog261642 View Post
    However, this is once again a problem of pirating the actual subs. Which are streamed for everyone to see when they first come out. In which case you have no excuse. I feel I have been over this enough times already.
    Do you not understand that Flux lives in the UK and is not able to watch the Funi stream? Did that just go over your head when someone else mentioned it before?

Quote Originally Posted by Strings View Post

Hmmm
    The hell man? White Knights?
    Are you people really so butt-hurt that someone is getting sued over this?

Look. They aren't suing someone because they took the dub and made it so other countries could view it. I believe they are okay with this.
    THEY ARE SUING SOMEONE FOR STREAMING THE EPISODE WHILE THIERS WENT UP

And sorry to Strings if you didn't mean anything by this comment. Its just irritating me that so many people are angry about this matter when they seem to be unaware of what FUNI is suing for.

And to Flux, I really hope that you know there are many countries that have One Piece dubbed in their native language. So you COULD pay for it the legal way in your own country. The few countries that I'm aware of without One Piece are Mexico as well as Afghanistan(including its neighboring countries). So unless you live there, just by the freaking DVD'S!!!! Seriously dude! You just don't want to pay for it, and you think you have the right to view it for free because you know english.

Do you not understand that Flux lives in the UK and is not able to watch the Funi stream? Did that just go over your head when someone else mentioned it before?
    Did I not just go over the fact that

1) IT IS NOT ABOUT THAT
    and
    2) The UK is getting their own dub. And if I'm not mistaken they have their own simulcast.

My lure-out strategy. GumGumBattleAxe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frog261642 View Post
    Well first off, I don't have any morals.
    I bet you're really proud of that fact too.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmartin101 View Post
    But to those in the country, It seems very stupid to be using fansubs at this point. We get a very nice sub every week, an hour after it premiers in Japan. I guess I understand the reasons of fansubs, because they are "More accurate, and proof read" but the Simulcast hasn't had that many problems. Yes, there have been some problems, and I don't agree with certain translations of things(Such as leaving Haki untranslated) However for the most part, it's pretty damn good, and much better than before, which we would have to wait days after the episode aired to get subs(And the faster released subs had more problems than the simulcast) and enjoy the episode.
    exactly right. it confounds me why people would want to do that for these episodes given the characteristics you gave. I mean, you can just go to the URL any time. Unless of course you can't get to it. Even so, would you really at the end of the day wanna go to illegal means to get it? You can read plot summaries online, or read the manga, or ANYTHING ELSE...

Tales of Kingdom Hearts iMustang's Avatar

My problem with funimation's stream is that it... well, sucks. Buffer-while-playing players are very inconvenient and lead to unnecessary stops during the episodes sometimes. If they allowed their player to be the traditional kind where you pause and load the video, I'd use it all the time.

Hopefully, like the article says, they're just targeting the distributers and not the downloaders.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information