+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Funi Files Lawsuit

Default Re: Funi Files Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    He meant he was 'ignoring' the comment about him being an 'idiot.'
    Yes. I gave false facts merely taking from my friend. Again I'm sorry.
    But as for the lawsuit, can you really blame funimation? I can't, but then again I live in the US.

Also I'm grateful for the whole 'what would you do were you in Flux's shoes' thing, but I'd just like to reiterate at this point that I didn't download this episode; nor do I download others.

Quote Originally Posted by frog261642 View Post
    Yes. I gave false facts merely taking from my friend. Again I'm sorry.
    As long as you don't do the same again, we'll have no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Also I'm grateful for the whole 'what would you do were you in Flux's shoes' thing, but I'd just like to reiterate at this point that I didn't download this episode; nor do I download others.

But you...and the...
    .-. Wonderful.

Well sorry Im ignorant to your situation I'm out.

I thought the Australian release is every month

self-proclaimed bon vivant kenjisalk's Avatar

Well it's heartening that the simulcast is worth legally throwing down with torrenters over, but its still anyone's guess as to what this might mean about the dub/dvds otherwise (probably nothing).

is Stolen

blooo hoo hoo FUNimation is SOOO meaaaan

sure is entitlement up in here

Demon Rin is 100% right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by PirateBeck View Post
    Also, the ANN article was updated with a hash of the torrent in question. If you google that hash, you'll discover the torrent itself was the yibis fansub of that episode, encoded at 720p and the torrent itself included an .avi and .mp4. Somebody should probably inform about that.
    they already know about it http://www.yibis.com/index.php/topic,1964.0.html

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

I'm not surprised that FUNimation would be doing this.

For U.S. viewers, yeah, there's no excuse there. But outside the U.S? This will only continue until simulcasts are available.

of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar

So I bought the case so I can give it a good read over, and here are some facts and information inclosed (I AM NOT A LAWYER, just a student and a nerd):
    • It's definitely real, everything checks out, and there's an actual list of 1,337 does with IP addresses and dates noted. All defendants are in the U.S. as previously noted.
    • FUNimation seeks injunctive relief, basically all I can tell from the complaint made by them. I don't see any monetary relief sought other than attorney's fees, which mind you, probably add up to a pretty penny. It also mentions "plaintiff's costs," and I'm not sure what that includes.
    • The One Piece episode name is mentioned a total of five times in this five page document, and there is no mention of Toei or any other organization.
    • Specifically mentioned are three torrent sites and the hash tag previously mentioned. I believe they are the primary defendant in this investigation, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Any questions, folks?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    So I bought the case so I can give it a good read over, and here are some facts and information inclosed (I AM NOT A LAWYER, just a student and a nerd):
    • It's definitely real, everything checks out, and there's an actual list of 1,337 does with IP addresses and dates noted. All defendants are in the U.S. as previously noted.
    • FUNimation seeks injunctive relief, basically all I can tell from the complaint made by them. I don't see any monetary relief sought other than attorney's fees, which mind you, probably add up to a pretty penny. It also mentions "plaintiff's costs," and I'm not sure what that includes.
    • The One Piece episode name is mentioned a total of five times in this five page document, and there is no mention of Toei or any other organization.
    • Specifically mentioned are three torrent sites and the hash tag previously mentioned. I believe they are the primary defendant in this investigation, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Any questions, folks?
    Don't wanna ask to many. But one thing on my mind is from what department specifically of funimation is suing? Is it the people who sub and stream the episodes or is it another part within funimation like the financial department or legal department (if they have one).

IDK why I'm saying department. But I assume you know what I mean.
    I suppose this isn't of relevance. But to me as a fan of funimation it is.

Don't wanna ask to many. But one thing on my mind is from what department specifically of funimation is suing? Is it the people who sub and stream the episodes or is it another part within funimation like the financial department or legal department (if they have one).

Funimation Entertainment, LLC filed it. There are no independent nomenclatures within the company. They're still a relatively small company.

The legal department is the legal department I'd say. FUNimation has a whole team (how many people are in it I don't know) in-charge of anti-piracy efforts from what I've heard.

EDIT: Oops, should've just let Zach answer that one.
    Last edited by firecrouch; January 25th, 2011 at 04:10 PM.

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

I honestly don't see how this lawsuit is going to make any impact on fansub distribution at all.
    Its a massive exercise in futility.

This whole think smells like a bad Funimation publicity stunt to me.

Yeah, it will only make people dislike FUNi and other licensors even more.

As seen in this topic.

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan2026
    I honestly don't see how this lawsuit is going to make any impact on fansub distribution at all.
    Its a massive exercise in futility.

This whole think smells like a bad Funimation publicity stunt to me.
    Exactly! I can't see what difference it's going to make either unless FUNimation deploys whistleblowers all over the web to report the first signs of a new fansub put up. They're not going to gain anything more out of this than a "big brother" label.

Of course, I've been overly cautious with FUNimation since 2006 so I'm not really surprised at this bit of news.

Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    I thought the Australian release is every month
    It is, until we catch up

Australian Brigade!: enel16, crease, Jejune, frozenkuku, toiim, Gum-Gum-Bazooka & trc4eva

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    Any questions, folks?
    other than the hash tag. Is yibis or their tracker mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    other than the hash tag. Is yibis or their tracker mentioned?
    The trackers are mentioned, and only the hash tag is mentioned.

For those making the argument that FUNimation is acting like big brother, you're being beyond ridiculous. This is a completely fair lawsuit over a property which they own. For all those -in the United States- who believe they have a right to the property, or who believe that FUNimation doesn't have a right to sue, you have a lot to learn about legality and the way the world works. Seriously, what the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Envy View Post
    I have no sympathy for people who live in America and still download the newest One Piece episodes. I have no sympathy at all. So go for it FUNimation! These people have no excuse at all.
    This is the worst attempt at a backlash I ever seen on this entire forum, and I don't even watch or support the anime anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Yeah, it will only make people dislike FUNi and other licensors even more.

As seen in this topic.
    Which is stupid.

"Oh, they're actually defending their own intellectual property? THE FIENDS!"

Seriously, if someone owned a store and KNEW the neighborhood kids came in every day and stole candy bars from the candy section, would he be in the wrong for trying to stop them?! Even if EVERY kid in the neighborhood does it, and there is no logical way to stop them all, is it really so wrong for him to TRY?!

I KNOW you guys hate FUNimation and seeing the occasional small little typo makes your blood boil more than mine does when I see "Nakama" in an English fansub, but you guys have to realize something.

Fansubs ARE Illegal.
    This. Is. a. Fact.

As much as you don't like it, you have to acknowledge this.
    Blaming FUNi for going after fansubbers is stupid. Especially because they aren't the only ones at play here. FUNi may be the ones filing the lawsuit, but Toei ALSO don't like piracy, as evidenced by that whole debacle with the Simulcast leak back when that happened.
    You can bet your ass that even if Toei don't directly have their hands in the cookie jar this time, they at least greatly encourage and WANT FUNi to do things like this.

Money goes into producing One Piece. Every time you buy One Piece, money goes back to the people involved.
    FUNi PAYS Toei a sum to put the show up. Every time I buy a DVD or watch the Simulcast on their site, they get money. If FUNi makes money, they pay Toei a HEFTY Sum to renew the license, and then they get money.

Everyone wants to keep making money for all the hard work they're doing.

Stop acting like this stuff is supposed to be free, you are not entitled to anime any more than I am entitled to walk into wherever the hell you work and demand you do your job for me for free.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information