+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 269 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Comics thread

Before getting into manga, I was a pretty big X-Men fan. I eventually got frustrated and gave that up thanks to countless plot holes from constantly changing writers and having to buy 7 or 8 different books a month to keep up with the continuity. Like a couple others mentioned, it was the whole Onslaught fiasco that finally drove me over the edge.

However, there are still some American series I love. First and foremost is Transmetropolitan, followed closely by Watchmen and Preacher. All three of which are over at this point, but I still reread them constantly. I've also been getting a bit into Marvel's Ultimate line (particularly Ultimate Spidey and a it of Ultimate X-Men), as, for the moment, it lacks most of the things that caused me to seek other sources of entertainment years ago.
    Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible.
    -Spider Jerusalem

Originally posted by Funkmaster Carter@Feb 13 2005, 06:41 PM

I don't read a lot of American comics, but I do like DC a lot.

Too bad American comics really aren't what they used to be.
    [snapback]1665[/snapback]
    In my opinion they aren't bad, you just have to know where to look right now. Actually in the last year or so I think the industry has been putting out some of the best stuff in years.

If you are a DC fan I would suggest you look into Identity Crisis if you can still find the issue's or pick up the trade paperback when it comes out. It is really a great piece of work for any fan of the classic Justice League.

I also notice a lot of people have said that they stopped reading Xmen and now what you mean, however I would say that Uncanny Xmen and Astonishing Xmen have both been really superb.

Hmm, I'm not into American comics that much, but I do have an interest in a few of the series (or their tv show counterparts anyways).

Originally posted by VildaHawk@Feb 13 2005, 07:13 AM
    I used to read the Sonic the Hedgehog comic, but I stopped when I got into One Piece.
    I don't read Superman regularly, but I have a couple compilations of Superman comics.
    Sonic the Hedgehog comic eh? You must show me the way.

For a while now, I wanted to start up X-Men, like the one 90's cartoon I saw a while back, or at least read a good summary of it. Any idea where I can find a summary of some of the arcs that happen in it? Or..... some of the..... 'subseries' of it?

Off With Their Heads! Seta Ginny's Avatar
    Rurouni between New Jersey, New York, and Maryland

Originally posted by Rasengan Zero@Feb 13 2005, 11:44 PM
    For a while now, I wanted to start up X-Men, like the one 90's cartoon I saw a while back, or at least read a good summary of it. Any idea where I can find a summary of some of the arcs that happen in it? Or..... some of the..... 'subseries' of it?
    [snapback]1858[/snapback]
    Kinda off topic...but yeah, back in the day, I used to read a lot of the arcs that were based off the 90s cartoon (the cartoon is actually what drew me in initially.) The Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas were very much like they were in the cartoon, just different characters, and you can get graphic novels for them today. The episode about Rogue's friend Cody was roughly based off the Rogue mini-series, while the episode about Gambit's wife Belladonna was roughly based off the Gambit mini-series...both were much better then their TV counterpart. Uh...hmm. A lot of the tensions and stuff with Jean and Wolverine can be seen in the early X-Men issues...Like the first dozen or so. Same with Gambit and Rogue. And the Age of the Apocolypse storyarc with Bishop that was like...two episodes in the cartoon was fucking AWESOME in the comics. Every X-Men title turned to a alternate universe for four issues, and it was a great story. Definitely worth checking out.

Monty/Madgopher can probably tell you more.

PS - Erg. Got a little carried away *scratches the back of her head.* I just realized you wanted summaries - but if you do a search for those series/arcs, you should be set. Although, I highly recommend reading them. I mean, if *I* am recommending them, that should say something - I am not the American comic person in my relationship *whistles*

Originally posted by Rasengan Zero@Feb 13 2005, 10:44 PM

[snapback]1858[/snapback]
    Alright go out to Walden Books and pick up Essential Xmen volume one and start from there. This is the beginning of the Chris Claremont run on Xmen and it is some good stuff. It is in black and white but you get like twenty five issues for about fourteen bucks, which is what they usually charge for seven color issue trade paperbacks. Trust me it is an awesome read and all in all there are five of them. The first one has the Phoenix saga in it, if it helps.

Originally posted by normyk+Feb 13 2005, 04:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(normyk &#064; Feb 13 2005, 04:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Bevin - Batgirl Year One was excellent&#33; Sadly it made me go back to re-read Killing Joke again. *sigh* Exceptional book, but so damn sad. Alan Moore rules almost as much as Bendis.
    [/b]

Oh yeah, Killing Joke is an excellent read as well, but defenetely not as a fun way to kill a bit of time. It&#39;s upsetting and poses a ratther difficult question to the audience that the book itself never answers. Excellent read. But, as you said, damn sad. Alan Moore is awesome, I can&#39;t believe I forgot to put the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen down (not to mention From Hell). Not very similar to the movie, very much more in keeping with the literary sources the characters hail from and very engaging. I like it quite a lot.
    <!--QuoteBegin-normyk
    @Feb 13 2005, 04:04 PM
    I Feel Sick was probably the best thing JV has done. I love everything I have read from him but I Feel Sick was something more than the normal fare. Great covers too.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, I agree. I like all the stuff I&#39;ve read by JV, but I Feel Sick was... well it was pretty much the most layered writing he&#39;d done to date and I loved that it was in color. I just really liked that one, and Devi kicks ass. ;)

--Bevin
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

Here comes Santa Claus. ronozoro's Avatar

BATMAN
    he is the best
    along with joker and all the other awsom vilans all running around gotham
    I am now on DevantART so come cheak out my art i demand it of you :laugh:
    Quote Originally Posted by the ONION
    "We believe that Google Desktop Search is the best way to unlock the information hidden on your hard drive, if you haven't given it a try, now's the time. In one week, the deleting begins." ~Google CEO Eric Schmidt

Holy crap, I just remembered a few titles that I totally forgot about. Shame on me.

Cable & Deadpool (everyone must see the issue where DP wears the original Marvel Girl costume. DP pantyshot = gold.)
    Hellboy/BPRD
    \\

Originally posted by normyk@Feb 13 2005, 07:33 PM
    What sort of book are you looking for?┬* Funny, serious, action packed?┬* Lots of great stuff out there to suggest if you help me narrow down the list.
    I&#39;m omnivorous, everything good goes. But perhaps saying somewhat sophisticated content would be the best, something you could keep on your bookshell without feeling yourself cheap. Most of the Marver stuff are turn off but I have enjoyed some works of Frank Miller and Alan Moore.

I can&#39;t believe I forgot to list some of my true favorites.
    Hellboy/BPRD (especially love Mignola&#39;s art - got hooked back when he did a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser mini series for DC - the art on it knocked my socks off and was thrilled later on when I saw him get his own book - I wasn&#39;t sure a style like his could survive in a world of superhero books)
    League of Extraordinary Gentlement (preferred the first series to the second)
    Buck Godot: Zap Gun For Hire (more of Phil and Kaja Foglio - love them so much - only thing they&#39;ve done that I don&#39;t completely dig is XXXenophile because the &#39;adult&#39; comics thing never really held a whole lot of appeal for me).
    Boneyard (and by the same guy we have Far East which is also fun)
    Blue Monday (good good fun)
    LOVE FIGHTS&#33; (read this everybody - the trade - I think - is out and is a must read)

Great comics that died before their time:
    SCUD: The Disposable Assassin
    Very Vicky
    Boondoggle

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

Originally posted by Bloodfoot@Feb 14 2005, 08:39 AM
    Holy crap, I just remembered a few titles that I totally forgot about. Shame on me.

Cable & Deadpool (everyone must see the issue where DP wears the original Marvel Girl costume. DP pantyshot = gold.)
    Hellboy/BPRD
    [snapback]2165[/snapback]
    Hmm I started reading Cable & Deadpool when it first came out but I went through budget constraints and I really don&#39;t like Cable so I stopped buying it but maybe I will have to check out the tradepaperback.

I read Cable and Deadpool for a while, too, and while I didn&#39;t find Cable nearly as irritating as I once had, I&#39;d still rather just read Deadpool. Another title that fell by the wayside in my financial constraints.

--Bevin
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

Originally posted by bevin@Feb 14 2005, 11:20 AM
    I read Cable and Deadpool for a while, too, and while I didn&#39;t find Cable nearly as irritating as I once had, I&#39;d still rather just read Deadpool. Another title that fell by the wayside in my financial constraints.

--Bevin
    [snapback]2223[/snapback]
    Yeah I agree. I loved the original Deadpool series when Ed Mcguiness was drawing it. I don&#39;t know who was writing it but he was pretty funny.

I&#39;ve lost patience with Cable & Deadpool as well. Seems a waste of a fun character. Been following him since the Joe Madureira mini back in the day. That was some classic stuff. I have a sinking feeling Cable & Deadpool will die a quick and painful death.

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

Oh, I forgot that I still follow Fred Perry&#39;s Gold Digger from Antarctic Press. Even though it is drawn in a manga style, it&#39;s still an American comic book.

Joe Madureira...he was always one of my favorite artists. What does he do now? I know he quit Battle Chasers a long time ago. Then he was going to make a video game company (called Tri-lunar). I haven&#39;t heard much about him since though (except for covers/pinups for the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers comics). Does he draw a regular comic anymore?

I read...

Excalibur
    Cable & Deadpool
    New X-Men: Academy X

And I was reading Madrox while it was out, but it&#39;s over now unfortunately. I read Excalibur religiously, and I love the series. I read Cable & Deadpool mainly because Anaconda is appearing in it for the mo&#39; (although I&#39;ll probably still read it after she leaves). And New X-Men is my guilty pleasure that I just got into, and I don&#39;t really obsess over it or anything, I just read it.

Originally posted by Captain Kuro@Feb 14 2005, 08:11 PM
    Oh, I forgot that I still follow Fred Perry&#39;s Gold Digger from Antarctic Press. Even though it is drawn in a manga style, it&#39;s still an American comic book.

Joe Madureira...he was always one of my favorite artists. What does he do now? I know he quit Battle Chasers a long time ago. Then he was going to make a video game company (called Tri-lunar). I haven&#39;t heard much about him since though (except for covers/pinups for the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers comics). Does he draw a regular comic anymore?
    [snapback]2667[/snapback]
    Who knows what he is doing...when I think about him I just get pissed off cause he was someone with so much talent and he just couldn&#39;t be bothered to make his deadline&#39;s once he left marvel. It was like he really didn&#39;t care about it. To be honest I think J. Scott Campbell is a much better artist.

I used to collect X-Men about 10 years ago. But ever since the whole Onslaught mess, I don&#39;t touch the comic. It&#39;s not that I don&#39;t want to, but there are too many damn titles that it is impossible to follow. When it was just Uncanny X-Men and X-Men, that was fine because two different comics, two different X-Men teams. Since then, we have Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate X-Men and a thousand others each with their own team members... except for Wolverine who is in EVERY one of these. How is it possible? Which "X" team is the real one? Someone care to explain for me?

Originally posted by Seta Ginny@Feb 13 2005, 11:56 PM
    And the Age of the Apocolypse storyarc with Bishop that was like...two episodes in the cartoon was fucking AWESOME in the comics. Every X-Men title turned to a alternate universe for four issues, and it was a great story. Definitely worth checking out.
    [snapback]1868[/snapback]
    I agree. I thought the Age of Apocolypse was very well done. Wolvie with Jean, Magneto and Rogue heading up the X-Men, and Bishop the only one who remembered everything... it was just awesome stuff. And I liked the idea of a few of those characters escaping into the present like the "Dark Beast" though I think they missed the boat with it. It would have been awesome to have had Magneto and Rogue&#39;s kid end up in the present.

Originally posted by GunMetal: Reloaded@Feb 14 2005, 10:42 PM
    I used to collect X-Men about 10 years ago. But ever since the whole Onslaught mess, I don&#39;t touch the comic. It&#39;s not that I don&#39;t want to, but there are too many damn titles that it is impossible to follow. When it was just Uncanny X-Men and X-Men, that was fine because two different comics, two different X-Men teams. Since then, we have Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate X-Men and a thousand others each with their own team members... except for Wolverine who is in EVERY one of these. How is it possible? Which "X" team is the real one? Someone care to explain for me?
    [snapback]2777[/snapback]
    Well I must say that right now, I have found Xmen to be pretty good lately. There is really only three on going titles Uncanny Xmen, Xmen, and Astonishing Xmen (and that might end once Joss Whedon finishes his twelve issue run). Also each book has a seperate team and you don&#39;t really have to buy them all cause the story lines don&#39;t overlap anymore. They have done away with the big Summer block buster storylines like Onslaught and Operation Zero Tolerance. It really depends on which characters you like and which creative team you like. I personally would recomend Uncanny Xmen and Astonishing Xmen right now they are really great. Xmen has a new writer and I am not sure what I think of him just yet. In all seriousness now is a great time for all those old jaded X-fans to jump back on the bus although you might need to check out some of the trade paperbacks to get caught up.

Sorry I have a tendency to ramble.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information