+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 270 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Comics thread

Originally posted by GunMetal: Reloaded+Feb 14 2005, 10:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GunMetal: Reloaded &#064; Feb 14 2005, 10:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Seta Ginny@Feb 13 2005, 11:56 PM
    And the Age of the Apocolypse storyarc with Bishop that was like...two episodes in the cartoon was fucking AWESOME in the comics. Every X-Men title turned to a alternate universe for four issues, and it was a great story. Definitely worth checking out.
    [snapback]1868[/snapback]
    I agree. I thought the Age of Apocolypse was very well done. Wolvie with Jean, Magneto and Rogue heading up the X-Men, and Bishop the only one who remembered everything... it was just awesome stuff. And I liked the idea of a few of those characters escaping into the present like the "Dark Beast" though I think they missed the boat with it. It would have been awesome to have had Magneto and Rogue&#39;s kid end up in the present.
    [snapback]2780[/snapback]
    [/b][/quote]
    Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention. For those of you that really liked the Age of Apocalypse. I would keep your eye&#39;s peeled because I read in wizard that Marvel has some special plans to commemorate the tenth aniversary.

We all ramble sometimes (or in my case all the time).
    Well, I was half looking for an excuse to get back into the x-books and this is the third recommendation I have seen lately. Guess I&#39;ll have to take the plunge. Doesn&#39;t bode well for my wallet.

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

Heh if you look back it is probably me singing their praises the whole time. I would definitely check out New Xmen E is for exctinction, which is the beginning of the grant morrison run, just cause it was really good and he really shoke things up. Astonishing Xmen is really awesome though, Joss Whedon is amazing and the first six issue&#39;s are out in a trade paper back right now...so go get it.
    heh just kidding.

Originally posted by madgophermm5@Feb 15 2005, 12:07 AM
    Well I must say that right now, I have found Xmen to be pretty good lately.* There is really only three on going titles Uncanny Xmen, Xmen, and Astonishing Xmen (and that might end once Joss Whedon finishes his twelve issue run).* Also each book has a seperate team and you don&#39;t really have to buy them all cause the story lines don&#39;t overlap anymore.* They have done away with the big Summer block buster storylines like Onslaught and Operation Zero Tolerance.* It really depends on which characters you like and which creative team you like.* I personally would recomend Uncanny Xmen and Astonishing Xmen right now they are really great.* Xmen has a new writer and I am not sure what I think of him just yet.* In all seriousness now is a great time for all those old jaded X-fans to jump back on the bus although you might need to check out some of the trade paperbacks to get caught up.
    [snapback]2798[/snapback]
    Interesting, what team is Bishop on? He was always my fav. Heck, I got his first appearance. :D And why is Wolvie on every single team?

I LOVE Frank Miller. Hopefully the Sin City movie will be good. Miller&#39;s Sin City and work on Batman are brilliant. I love Alan Moore though and I would have to rank The Watchmen as one of the all time best comic stories.

Originally posted by GunMetal: Reloaded@Feb 14 2005, 11:58 PM

Interesting, what team is Bishop on? He was always my fav. Heck, I got his first appearance. :D And why is Wolvie on every single team?

[snapback]2843[/snapback]
    Well if you are a Bishop fan then you are in luck. He is currently on Uncanny Xmen, but what you should really check out is District X. It is this really interesting cop drama staring Bishop and it takes place in this like Mutant Ghetto. think of it as like harlem for mutants. Basically him and this human cop investigate different crimes in the city. It is a marvel Knight book so it is a bit more mature as well. It is suppossed to be one of Marvels most over looked titles right now.

Oh and Wolvie is on every team cause he is the best there is at what he does and what he does is sell books.

Totally agree on Watchmen, Gunmetal. One of those books that I can&#39;t recommend enough to those who haven&#39;t partaken.
    Anybody else have anything that they feel is just a work of pure genius?
    Personal nominations for works of genius:
    Watchmen (of course)
    From Hell
    V for Vendetta
    Sin City
    Bone (so simple, so complex, so much fun)
    Grasscutter (Usagi Yojimbo GN - UY is consistently excellent and this is a classic story arc)
    Sandman (I enjoyed the earlier stuff more)
    Batman: The Long Halloween (great art and story - I enjoyed the hell out of this - genius? maybe not. perfectly executed comic art? definitely&#33;)
    Seven Days of Night (more for the art - I&#39;m a junkie for cool art and this delivers - not that the story isn&#39;t excellent as well, but the art - and a recommendation from one of the guys who runs my comic shop - sold me on it)
    Kingdom Come (Alex Ross is such an amazing artist and I love the conecpt behind the book - I&#39;ll rate it genius level for Ross&#39; art alone)

<edit>
    How could I list Sam & Max as the greatest game of all time and not list it as one of the greatest comics of all time?&#33; I&#39;m just glad there is a similar thread going at one of my game sites or I might have forgotten it entirely&#33; So I also recommend Sam & Max: Surfin the Highway - damn funny stuff (and they teach you to play fizzball&#33;)

normyk's chocolate blog!

If I had to list something as one of the greats, I would definitely nominate Origins. It is a really great story with amazing artwork.

Oh yeah, Transmetropolitan rocks.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

How about Cerebus the Aardvark? I never read it personally but I&#39;ve heard many good things about it.

An early issue of Spawn was a one-shot of Cerebus written by Dave Sims, the creator. Spawn was having a vision and dreamt that Cerebus was guiding him through a twisted version of Hell. And you saw all of these famous super-heroes all beaten down and imprisoned. Well, you didn&#39;t actually SEE them but you could see their hands sticking through the cages and identify them (Hulk, Spidey, Wolverine, Batman, etc.). And then they passed the cage of a broken man who COULD have changed everything. The only one with that much power and heart. And you could clearly see that this person was Superman from his outline. (I just love how a number of comic books reference Superman as being "the greatest hero of them all".)

Anyway, it was a great, great issue. If I had to rank a single comic book issue, this one would definitely be pretty high up there as far as stories go.

Aaah, Cerebus. The comic I love to hate and hate to love. I started reading it around issue 55 or so (just missing the goat issue) and stuck it out for the rest of the run (300 issues). I hadn&#39;t been reading it too long when I realized that I just plain hated the main character (Cerebus) and that it was the other characters that I really liked. Cerebus is just an asshole and I stuck around waiting for the end when he would finally kick the bucket and I could feel a little satisfaction. Anyway, along the way it takes a lot of turns into new styles and experimental stuff. There is a large stretch of Oscar Wilde in it, parodies of various characters (from all forms of media - Elric, Red Sonja, Cap Am, Wolvie, Mick Jagger and Kieth Richards, Sandman, the Three Stooges), Hemingway makes an appearance. Its an amazing book, but can be like torture at times. A challenge. Once past Church and State Part 1 it gets much more difficult.
    Anyway, its the story of an Aardvark. From his early days as a Conan parody to a politial career to being Pope and hell, that&#39;s just the first 100 issues.
    I can&#39;t recommend it unless you have access to the &#39;phone books&#39; (what we affectionately call the collections) through a friend. I think it speaks a lot for the book that even after I decided that I hated the main character I stuck it out for 200 more issues. Its in a class all by itself. Hell, the letters pages are in a class all by themselves. Someday I will sit down and re-read it from the beginning but I don&#39;t anticipate being any more sympathetic to the main character. Doesn&#39;t mean I won&#39;t enjoy the read.
    Sorry for rambling and for any horrible typos - I&#39;m on the patio at work enjoying the sun while its still here - we get snow again tonight apparently.

normyk's chocolate blog!

Future Pirate King Monkey.D.Luffy's Avatar

Cool

Originally posted by VildaHawk@Feb 13 2005, 09:13 PM
    I used to read the Sonic the Hedgehog comic, but I stopped when I got into One Piece.
    I don&#39;t read Superman regularly, but I have a couple compilations of Superman comics.
    [snapback]1043[/snapback]
    Yeah, Sonic The Hedgehog is pretty nice.... I still read it but not as much AS ONE PIECE :lol:
    A Quest For Treasure Will Unite Them All: ONE PIECE

Is anyone here reading X-men Pheonix: Endsong? I just got issue three yesterday and man the artwork is amazing, Emma Frost has never looked hotter and somehow they got Wolvie to look almost exactly like Hugh Jackman. I mean this stuff is pretty much painted and the story is pretty interesting as well.

I&#39;ve been buying it but am way behind on my comic reading. I read the first issue and was pretty pleased with it and was happy to see the new one when I grabbed my books last night. Hopefully I&#39;ll get caught up this weekend.

normyk's chocolate blog!

I&#39;ve just recently started reading Marvel and DC again. Here&#39;s what I&#39;ve been reading lately (I found most of the backissues - luckily, these series are still pretty early in their run - , but am still missing some):

-Marvel&#39;s New Thunderbolts (I was always a fan of the original Thunderbolts series)

-DC&#39;s Manhunter (I read that Shadow Thief, one of my favorite villains, had been regularly appearing, so I picked up most of the backissues)

I used to read a lot of comics but I don&#39;t live near a comic shop anymore and I kinda stopped. When I did read them though I was mostly into the Fantastic Four and various X-Men titles. My favorite FF has got to be the first appearance of Galactus. That was a pretty intense moment for the world as it was nearly consumed. For X-Men, I really dug the Age of Apocalypse storyline, I&#39;ve still got every single issue. The best was Gambit and the Externals where Gambit led a ragtag underground group of mutants who traveled to the other side of the universe to secure the M&#39;Kron Crystal. That was such a cool story, I kinda miss those good old stories.

The X-Men were awsome.
    I actually have a funny story. My uncle&#39;s father gave him all the old comics books he had. That included Batman, Spiderman, Superman, X-Men, Wonder Woman. There were all of them. That included the first edition of each. He owned the first X-Men&#33;
    Then it rained. All the comics got destroyed in his flooded basement. That sucked.
    And I I read:
    Any X-Men I could find.
    The Old Batman and Superman
    The Old Teen Titans
    Transformers G1
    Sonic(Got a bunch cheep in my mall)
    Fantastic 4
    Spiderman
    Runaways
    Am I the only one who ever read Runaways? That is preety sweet. These kids discover their parents are a cult of some sorts and kill an innocent girl and runaway. They vow to stop their parents.

Sig made by AngelzRfalling.
    Gary "Iceman" Martin. RIP.

Originally posted by Anime Master@Feb 25 2005, 09:21 AM
    Am I the only one who ever read Runaways? That is preety sweet. These kids discover their parents are a cult of some sorts and kill an innocent girl and runaway. They vow to stop their parents.
    [snapback]6903[/snapback]
    Ya know I almost picked up the first issue of the new Runaway&#39;s series the other day, but I passed it up cause I already had a bunch of stuff. Perhaps I will check out the trade&#39;s from the first series, cause I have heard great stuff about it.
    Oh yeah and that sucks about those comics...it makes me weep.

SANDMAN&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Neil Gaiman is an awesome writer, and the art in all the comics are fantastic to say the least&#33;

Tanci-- Agreed&#33; Neil Gaiman was one of my first favorite writers and remains one to this day. I love the incredible amount of different styles that book was illustrated in, ranging from realism to fluid "cartoon" and it all fits perfectly. An incredible story with fantastic characters. Death remains one of my heroes to this day. :)

--Bevin
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

Fire up with One Piece! live4onepiece's Avatar

I like JLA. "specially the one with the pictures by Alex Ross, who was the guy who got "Star Wars:A NEw Hope" into production by his paintings which are TERRIFic. I just shiver exitedly when I look at the words "Justice" spelled out with a picture of the seven JLA members in the letters, y&#39;kno, doing their thing. Fav JLA members: Batman, Martian Manhunter, and Flash. I also read some Batman too. I like it.
    Nami: (scary) We have to make sure Alabasta is around or else there's no money, got it?
    Vivi: Y-yes...
    Zoro: You can go alone to hell!
    "Why thank you Zoro!"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information