+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 269 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Comics thread

So I just picked up the first issue of Marvels Age of Apocalypse mini that is coming out. It was pretty nice and the really nifty thing is they are putting out an issue every week, so there really is no wait. If you like Chris Bachalo, or Age of Apocalypse you should pick it up. It is picking up where the original event left off. I know that sounds odd but it works trust me.

Damn right it sounds weird....didn't most everybody die at the end of the original? Heck, even the ones who survived the battle (or weren't there for one reason or another) got zarked by the whole nonexistance wave, didn't they?
    Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible.
    -Spider Jerusalem

Hey, for the Gaiman fans out there they shipped Shoggoth's Old Peculiar this week. Its a great short story of Lovecraftian wierdness and general purpose Cthulhu Mythos. Its in a nice little limited edition from Dreamhaven books. If you are a collector its very nice and if you go to http://www.neilgaiman.net/ they have signed copies (*drool*).

I grabbed the Age of Apocalypse stuff and should be giving it a read tomorrow. I only vaguely remember it from the first go-round (though I do know I have the entire mess hiding in a box someplace) but figured it was worth a read.

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

Oooo, Bachelo's involved in the new AoA? I might have to pick it up sometime, then, I like his work. And thanks for the heads-up on the new Gaiman, Normyk, I dig his stuff too. ;)

--Bevin
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

Ok, I had no clue who Bachalo (alo? elo? ?!) was. Then I actually looked at the cover to AOA #1 and got a big stupid grin on my face. I love his art. Loved it when he was doing Generation X and loved it on Steampunk (no clue what else he has done). I tend not to follow artists too much (I like good art in my comics but I require good stories so the artist takes a backseat) so I didn't know his name at all but his art is instantly recognizable (sp?). I love an artist who has a unique look or feel to his work (Miller, Mignola, Brereton, etc.) and Chris definitely qualifies.
    The book itself was pretty good. It was strange how I was able to fall right back into the whole AOA thing after 10 years like it was yesterday but if I pick up a normal X-book I just feel lost and confused. Maybe its just my general purpose disconnect from the X-universe (all right, I do read Astonishing, but I still feel generally lost) but I was surprised by the ending which is a wonderful thing (I can usually see things coming in books, comics and movies from really early on - kind of a curse because the big stupid twist ending in so many movies turns out to be a big yawn from me and a big 'wtf?! you saw this coming?' from whoever I am watching with). So I'm looking forward to the next issue and will be trying to get to the comic shop on Wednesday this week (as opposed to waiting until Saturday like I usually do when I'm swamped and drowning at work - which I always am ).

normyk's chocolate blog!

Thread resurrection time!
    First, Neverwhere comic on the way. The art didn't look amazing but it should be ok. What bugs me is that somebody other then Gaiman is adapting it.
    Next, there is something called 'All Star: Batman and Robin' which is, apparently, a montly title written by Frank Miller (!) with Jim Lee (!) providing art. If this is true.... *drool*
    Last, there is a new Hellboy book on the way (first in like three years) and I am stoked for that.
    I know there was something else I wanted to rant about (like the Watchmen movie maybe) but I have a meeting to get to.

normyk's chocolate blog!

Ya Can't Ignore My Techno! Shinagamithe3rd's Avatar

Hellboy and Sandman kill. Also, that Carnage: Mind Bomb one shot was awesome.
    "I Need Mo' Allowence!"

The Tick
    Squee, and the other Jhonen books
    Groo
    Courtney Crumrin
    Anything by Kyle Baker
    Futurama comics
    etc.
    http://muertitos.comicgenesis.com - a webcomic for the deceased kid in you.

Right Click

Batman. That's all I find interesting...

Your affectionate friend Starlight's Avatar

I used to read Spider-man but have now given up on it. I couldn't take all the bad-guys rising back from the dead. Think Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus. :P

Kurapica/Killua from HxH ~

Originally posted by madgophermm5@Feb 24 2005, 01:32 PM
    Is anyone here reading X-men Pheonix: Endsong? I just got issue three yesterday and man the artwork is amazing, Emma Frost has never looked hotter and somehow they got Wolvie to look almost exactly like Hugh Jackman. I mean this stuff is pretty much painted and the story is pretty interesting as well.
    [snapback]6509[/snapback]
    interesting you say that, cause i've noticed theyve been doing that a fair amount with post-comic movie comics. especially with wolverine.
    I read a fair amount of comics. I LOVE X-men, although I'm too young to have read any of the big story lines (with the exception of pheonix and dark pheonix) I've been keeping my eye on ebay to get all of the age of apocalypse. I love sin city, as well as frank miller's other stuff, I love alan moore stuff(watchmen and LOEG mostly, although i've read some others). My favorite artists are Jim Lee and Alex Ross. I like the stuff that Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale do (Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Hulk Grey, Dardevil Yellow). I also love spawn. I love todd mcfarlanes art.

Originally posted by Kaizoku-Ou@Apr 25 2005, 12:47 AM
    interesting you say that, cause i've noticed theyve been doing that a fair amount with post-comic movie comics. especially with wolverine.
    I read a fair amount of comics. I LOVE X-men, although I'm too young to have read any of the big story lines (with the exception of pheonix and dark pheonix) I've been keeping my eye on ebay to get all of the age of apocalypse. I love sin city, as well as frank miller's other stuff, I love alan moore stuff(watchmen and LOEG mostly, although i've read some others). My favorite artists are Jim Lee and Alex Ross. I like the stuff that Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale do (Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Hulk Grey, Dardevil Yellow). I also love spawn. I love todd mcfarlanes art.
    [snapback]36997[/snapback]
    Hey, yeah I know what you mean about them making Wolvie look like Hugh Jackman, but this one actually makes it look good. Anyway I am glad to meet another person who likes Xmen. You should check out some of the marvel Essential Xmen trade paperbacks that collect all of the old issues, they are really a great buy. As far as writers go I was a big fan of J. Michael Strazynski's run on spiderman until John Romita left and he went crazy. I also really like Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Millar. I have way to many favorite artist to mention, but some of them are John Romita JR.( he just has such a classic feel, like something from the sixties or seventies) J. Scott Campbell, the Kubert Brothers, Frank Cho, god I could go on and on. You mentioned the Jeph loeb and Tim Sale combination, did you read Spiderman Blue? I loved that one.

Quick question: Is anyone here reading Young Justice or Teen Titan's. Man both are really great. I just picked up issue three of Young Justice and I just can't get enough. This series caught me completely by surprise I was not expecting it to be this good. Like wow it has quickly become one of my top three reads every month. I also just picked up the three issue arc of Teen Titans with Dr. Light post Identity Crisis, man I have never even really liked Teen Titans that much except for Impulse or Kid Flash, but this is some really good stuff, and the shocker at the end really left me in awe.

I've got some great trades in my collection:
    -Captain Britain (by Moore and Davis)
    -Batman: The Killing Joke (Moore is great)
    -Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD (Steranko's run on Strange Tales)
    -Hellboy: Chained Coffin and Others (Mignola is a genius)
    -Ghost: Ghost Stories and Ghost: Nocturnes
    -Spawn (vol. 4,5 and 7, and I just don't understand why they won't reprint the trades anymore)
    -Witchblade: Origins
    -Preacher: Gone to Texas (Ennis and Dillon are really sick bastards)
    -Hitman (all five trades, it's too bad they didn't reprint the entire series)
    -Wolverine: Origin (what a great and sad tale)
    -Batman: Year One (Miller rules)
    -Daredevil: Guardian Devil (Kevin Smith's incredible run)
    -X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga (a classic)
    -Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt (in my opinion, probably one of the greatest Spidey stories ever told)
    I've got tons of more. I just couldn't remember all of them.

Astonishing Spider-Man: The "British version of Spider-Man". They take all the comics that show the important stories and publish them in one series. They normally publish three comics in one, though the third is normally a classic strip. The only "catch" is the "current" Spider-Man stories are about three years out.

Marvel Knights 4: Only just started reading it but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Usagi Yojimbo: Been collecting the graphic novels since december 2003 and have managed to track down all of the graphic novels. I can't wait for #19 to see the end of the Usagi/Jotaro arc.

Ultimate Spider-Man: A friend gets these for me from the US so I've been reading them for a while now and I've enjoyed it. He now sends me about four comics every four months so I haven't read any new ones for a while.

New Avengers: I started it mainly because I'm a fan of Spider-Man, but I do enjoy it from what little I've read. My friend is getting some of the issues I'm missing for me.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Not many really outside of manga

Hsu and Chan (great subtle humor, if only it came out on a monthly basis)

Street Fighter (Darn good adaption)

and Ultimate Spider-Man (interesting new approch to the webhead.)

Also on the look out for Marvel's short lived Mangaverse series and a fan of the Tomb of Dracula comics.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Ignore this one, accidental double post.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Originally posted by Sakurai@Apr 24 2005, 01:51 PM
    Groo
    [snapback]36668[/snapback]
    *thumbs up*

Groo's an awesome comic =) I used to read that series in the 90's.. and they have one of the coolest staffs I've ever had the honour of meeting.

Tom Luth, Stan Sakai, Mark Evanier, and Sergio Argones.

Sergio is one of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure to have met. I used to go out of my way to find him and his crew whenever I went to a San Diego Comicon. They were just such cool people.

I kinda wish I'd kept collecting Groo, but it got to the point where I could no longer afford to buy them... that was right around when they went to Marvel.

Originally posted by madgophermm5@Apr 25 2005, 10:19 PM
    Quick question: Is anyone here reading Young Justice or Teen Titan's. Man both are really great. I just picked up issue three of Young Justice and I just can't get enough. This series caught me completely by surprise I was not expecting it to be this good. Like wow it has quickly become one of my top three reads every month. I also just picked up the three issue arc of Teen Titans with Dr. Light post Identity Crisis, man I have never even really liked Teen Titans that much except for Impulse or Kid Flash, but this is some really good stuff, and the shocker at the end really left me in awe.
    [snapback]37529[/snapback]
    I only read one issue of Young Justice (because it had the Female Furies), but from what I read, it was cute and I liked it. The art was adorable. <3 But I prefer Marvel over DC any day.

As for stuff I read:

Cable & Deadpool (I only started reading it because Anaconda (serpent society chick) was appearing but I fell in instant love with Deadpool&#39;s antics)
    New Thunderbolts (yaaay for Blizzard&#33; I love his brotherly love with Speed Demon, and all the random villains that pop up. Mmm, Wrecking Crew..)
    New X-Men: Academy X (teenage highschool drama = I&#39;m sold; and I&#39;m reading the Hellions mini if that counts)
    X-Men: The End (altho I normally wait for the trades)

I was reading Excalibur religiously, but they went and cancelled it. Lame&#33; Other than that, sometimes I pick up random comics just because the cover is cute or if one of my favorite characters appear (nearly all of my faves are B-list villains, so they pop up every now and then, and I only read DC stuff when the Female Furies appear).

Recently, I&#39;ve been reading DC&#39;s Villains United. I think it&#39;s a pretty good mini-series so far.

I&#39;ve also been reading The Flash. Except for a few issues, I have almost all of Geoff John&#39;s run.

I haven&#39;t been reading many Marvel comics recently, except New Thunderbolts.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information