+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 269 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Comics thread

I don't read much marvel or any action comics but I really like humor.
    Such as Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, and Simpsons.

mmm... yolko love (eggyxeggy). warning: don't cook them.

Ya Can't Ignore My Techno! Shinagamithe3rd's Avatar

I love Hellboy and Twisted Toyfare Theatre but as for comics, I mostly read manga.
    "I Need Mo' Allowence!"

Ramen Renegade silver griffin girl's Avatar

Wink

Originally posted by sanji-desu@Jul 10 2005, 10:58 AM
    I don't read much marvel or any action comics but I really like humor.
    Such as Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, and Simpsons.
    [snapback]86551[/snapback]
    Yes, so do I. For some reason I've never been interested in superpowered dudes in tights fighting crime. I like the humor comics you listed, along with The Far Side, Dilbert, and Mutts. (even though I usually have to go to my cousin's house to read Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side, because my aunt & uncle have lots of those comic books) ^^

Originally posted by Retro@Jul 10 2005, 06:00 PM
    Street Fighter (Darn good adaption)
    Forgot about that one though I read the graphic novels instead of tracking down the comics.

I've bought the Uncanny X-Men: Poptopia trade today and it's great. :) I liked the whole "mutants living under London" storyline (although it reminded me of the Morlocks). And the main villain, Mr. Clean is really great. His aryan nazi look really makes him a suitable X-opponent. Still, he had zero chance against Wolverine. :D

Arlong

I read Star Wars comics, Batman Detective comics, Simpson comics, some X-men comics and probably some others...

I read mostly comic strips, but I do read the occasional Simpsons comic (which I get every Cristmas...).

My favorite comic strips include; Drabble, FoxTrot, Peanuts, Garfield, Ziggy, B.C., Non Sequitor, Jump Start, and more.

I hate Cathy though... so stupid >_< .

Originally posted by Nyssane@Jul 10 2005, 01:54 PM

I only read one issue of Young Justice (because it had the Female Furies), but from what I read, it was cute and I liked it. The art was adorable. <3 But I prefer Marvel over DC any day.

See funny thing is I meant to Say Young Avengers there but my brain was thinking Young Justice cause the names are similar and I used to read it back in the day. So yeah if anyone is reading Young Avengers Damn that thing kicks ass. I mean each issue is just packed with shocks and awesome moments.

Oh and Nyssane I read Batman and ROBIN yesterday, I thought it was good but it was such a small taste and the next issue isn&#39;t suppossed to come out till like september. But hot damn it was good.

Street Fighter is the shizzle. I&#39;ve been reading it since it first came out. I also read Batman (I have 3 graphic novels of it, Batman: Knightfall series, it&#39;s awesome), I have a couple Devil May Cry comis, and Vemon vs Carnage.

Overall I perfer Marvel over DC, but Batman takes the cake for anything. Mmm cake.

Mark Millar licks goats Akumashogun's Avatar

Here we go. My faves:

Bone: The One (It&#39;s fucking huge&#33;)
    Invincible
    Jack Staff
    JSA
    Anything by Alan Moore (except for Smax, I wasn&#39;t loving that series)
    Anything by Grant Morrison
    Flight
    Anything by Daniel Clowes
    Astro City
    Ultimate Fantastic Four
    Y: The Last Man
    Ex Machina
    Anything by Frank Miller (except DK2 and Daredevil Visionaries vol. 1)
    Runaways
    Supreme Power
    Squadron Supreme
    Hellboy
    Usagi Yojimbo

and much more but I&#39;m too lazy... :P

I have an open mind when it comes to comics, but I&#39;m currently upset with the big two (DC and Marvel) because I&#39;m not a big fan of their current obsession with needless murder, rape, illicit affairs that ruin classic stories (*cough*Sins Past*cough*), or need to plaster uber-popular characters on a ton of series (*cough*Wolverine, Spider-Man, Brian Michael Bendis*cough*)

However I still plan to check out some of their new titles. I&#39;m definatley checking out All-Star Superman.

Sig by BK

I love that one too&#33; =D I was going to buy it but it&#39;s over 1,000 pages and it&#39;s like &#036;30. >>

Sharknife- Awsome art

Maus I and II- very gripping story

The Spirit- just awsome

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Mark Millar licks goats Akumashogun's Avatar

Originally posted by taboo@Jul 15 2005, 11:36 PM
    I love that one too&#33; =D I was going to buy it but it&#39;s over 1,000 pages and it&#39;s like &#036;30. >>
    [snapback]90127[/snapback]
    Yeah its great, but I was upset that it didn&#39;t include the two prequels, Rose and Stupid, Stupid Rat Tails.

As for the price, well its not bad considering the size.

As for the size...I could crack open a turtle with it.

Sig by BK

Is anyone reading the new Green Arrow series? I mean, I&#39;ve heard that Kevin Smith did a great job reviving Oliver Queen, but I&#39;d still like to hear some other opinions.

Originally posted by Akumashogun
    Could you recommend other titles he&#39;s worked on? I&#39;ve only had a chance to read his run on JLA and I thought it was great.

Originally posted by Akumashogun@Jul 15 2005, 10:21 PM

I have an open mind when it comes to comics, but I&#39;m currently upset with the big two (DC and Marvel) because I&#39;m not a big fan of their current obsession with needless murder, rape, illicit affairs that ruin classic stories (*cough*Sins Past*cough*), or need to plaster uber-popular characters on a ton of series (*cough*Wolverine, Spider-Man, Brian Michael Bendis*cough*)

[snapback]90119[/snapback]
    yeah I feel you, that Sins past storyline really sucked. I was really dissappointed because I loved Strazinski&#39;s run on Amazing Spiderman up until John Romita left and Strazinski went crazy. Although you have to admit what DC has been doing with Identity crisis was awesome and I don&#39;t even like most of DC&#39;s characters.

Know what was an awesome Spiderman story? Maximum Carnage. Best team up arc ever.

I&#39;ve had teh thicker-than-God&#39;s-Beard Graphic Novel for over ten years, its so worn out. It&#39;s my bible.

If I had my way, there would be a Maximum Carnage movie post haste.
    buttcheeks

While not as well known in America, Don Rosa is my all-time favourite mainstream American comic artist, perhaps even my the favourite mainstream artist. I usually hate anything associated with Donald Duck franchise but this guy is just terrific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Rosa

Originally posted by Green Hair+Jul 20 2005, 01:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hair &#064; Jul 20 2005, 01:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Akumashogun
    Could you recommend other titles he&#39;s worked on? I&#39;ve only had a chance to read his run on JLA and I thought it was great.
    [snapback]93025[/snapback]
    [/b][/quote]

I recommend his work on Animal Man. There are three trade paperbacks available containing his entire run.

I used to read Gen13, but then it got cancelled, which is rather unfortunate because i only started getting into the series a few months before it was. Now i&#39;m trying to track down some back issues. Namely anything done by Adam Warren, be it writing or drawing.

At the moment i&#39;m reading Bone in its entirety in that giant phone book-sized compilation, and if i can find anymore of the trade paperbacks, Blue Monday by Chyna Clugston-Major.

And when it comes out next year, East Coast Rising by Becky Cloonan is something i really want to read. It&#39;s about pirates in New York and Jersey.

hmm...Other than that, all i&#39;m reading at the moment is One Piece, Bleach and Blade of the Immortal, the latter of those everyone should read. I was thinking of going for some of Tokyo Pop&#39;s original titles, but i have little hope after reading a sampler i picked up at ConnectiCon.

The country of lofty mountains and tall treetops, Finland

Originally posted by Yoska@Jul 22 2005, 01:09 AM
    While not as well known in America, Don Rosa is my all-time favourite mainstream American comic artist, perhaps even my the favourite mainstream artist. I usually hate anything associated with Donald Duck franchise but this guy is just terrific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Rosa
    [snapback]93931[/snapback]
    ohhhh yeah. i haven&#39;t read any of his works outside donald duck, but if they are near as good, i probably should.
    i just love his way to carry the story onward, his artistic vision, and all those little nitpicks all over.
    i deserve to be kicked in the head for not getting his "roope ankan elämä ja teot" ("the life and achievements of scrooge mcduck") -book while it was still available.
    i have all the others, though.

hey riksu i think i have that one :P but on the other hand thats the only one i have :lol:
    but i have to agree that Don rosa rocks even thought ive only read his work on Donald duck.

other than that i only like the old american comics that stan lee did like spiderman(1-100 of the amazing spiderman rocks my world),Fantastic four, and Iron man but the new stuff doesnt really intrest me cause it has lost its spark a long time ago :(

BTW is sandman an american comic ? if it is i also adore it but im not sure if its brittish or american

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information