+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 269 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Comics thread

Default Western Comics thread

Hey does anyone here read some of the american comics these days and if so what?
    I am currently reading John Romita's run on Wolverine which is awesome as well as Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men, which is frankly the best thing since the Claremont-Byrne run of the old day's.

Oh yes please do not post in here to say how much you hate the american comic industry that isn't really why I started this.

This could take a while.....
    Girl Genius - GREAT book
    Powers
    The Ultimates
    Ultimate Fantastic Four
    Fables
    Usagi Yojimbo
    30 Days of Night
    The Goon
    Marvel Knights 4
    The Walking Dead
    Incredible Hulk
    Gold Digger
    Ninja High School
    We3
    PS238
    Rising Stars
    Supreme Power
    Astonishing X-Men

There are a half dozen books I am testing out and I'm sure there are a half dozen I have forgotten.

And you can dream - So dream out loud
    normyk's chocolate blog!

It is really nice to meet you. I really like Ultimates also I picked up issue three the other day and the ending was really great.

I used to read the Sonic the Hedgehog comic, but I stopped when I got into One Piece.
    I don't read Superman regularly, but I have a couple compilations of Superman comics.

Pirate Age (Under Construction)

New X-Men
    X-Treme X-Men
    Mystique
    Fathom Dawn of War
    Transformers G1

Current series:
    Astonishing
    Uncanny
    New
    Excalibur series 2
    Nightcrawler

Collecting:
    Excalibur series 1

Special note: My copy of the first Excalibur one-shot, The Sword is Drawn, is signed by artist Alan Davis. It's the prize of my collection. I am so proud of that book. *fangirl squee!*

Yeah, I'm an X-weenie. What can I say? XD
    \\

What? What real world...? Daydreamer's Avatar

Well, I used to read anything related to X-Men, but I kind of lost interest as the plot line(s) became more and more strange. (In my opinion, anyways.)

Now, the only American comic I read is Elfquest.
    Death is a small thing
    Methinks it is life which thou dost fear

David Eddings
    Sorceress of Darshiva

I don't read much comics, but I am a huge fan of Mike Mignola & the Hellboy series. I can't wait for The Book of the Dead from Mignola in April. Been a while since he has done anything since the movie.

Could somebody recommend good art or underground comics worth of acquiring ? Well, superhero comics are fine as well. I read a work by Frank Miller and I enjoyed it but I'm not going to order random books from overseas without knowing the quality. For example is there anyting that could rival with the contents of IKKI magazine. I heard Strangers in Paradise is nice.

Originally posted by Bloodfoot@Feb 13 2005, 11:12 AM
    Current series:
    Astonishing
    Uncanny
    New
    Excalibur series 2
    Nightcrawler

Collecting:
    Excalibur series 1

Special note: My copy of the first Excalibur one-shot, The Sword is Drawn, is signed by artist Alan Davis. It's the prize of my collection. I am so proud of that book. *fangirl squee!*

Yeah, I'm an X-weenie. What can I say? XD
    [snapback]1178[/snapback]
    The X-books are good fun. I fell out of them during a tight budget stretch when they had one of those enormogigantical crossovers where you have to buy 20 books a week to keep caught up. I keep wanting to get back in but am afraid to take the plunge.
    And ANYthing signed by Alan Davis is cool! I wish I had something like that in my collection. My prizes are a nice sketch by Dave Sim and Gerhard in the first color Cerebus appearance (took three conventions for them to finish it out :lol: ) and a few cards and comics signed by Phil and Kaja Foglio. Nobody big but people whose work I respect a lot.

normyk's chocolate blog!

Originally posted by Yoska@Feb 13 2005, 12:00 PM
    Could somebody recommend good art or underground comics worth of acquiring ? Well, superhero comics are fine as well. I read a work by Frank Miller and I enjoyed it but I'm not going to order random books from overseas without knowing the quality. For example is there anyting that could rival with the contents of IKKI magazine. I heard Strangers in Paradise is nice.
    [snapback]1221[/snapback]
    What sort of book are you looking for? Funny, serious, action packed? Lots of great stuff out there to suggest if you help me narrow down the list.

normyk's chocolate blog!

Off With Their Heads! Seta Ginny's Avatar
    Rurouni between New Jersey, New York, and Maryland

Originally posted by Daydreamer@Feb 13 2005, 12:18 PM
    Well, I used to read anything related to X-Men, but I kind of lost interest as the plot line(s) became more and more strange. (In my opinion, anyways.)
    [snapback]1182[/snapback]
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I used to be mad into X-Men, but the storyline just lost me around Onslaught. I know it's gotten better, but it's still hard to pull yourself back into it.

Right now, I'm collecting ultimate X-Men because I really love Joss Weadon's writing style. I only wish it had more of my favorite characters in it - the characters are one of the best things about X-men!

I used to read lots of American comics, but I quit for a couple of years. I'm just now getting back into them though (when I bought both volumes of the Jim Lee Batman "Hush" hardcover books). But mostly, I read older backissues.

Discovered Stowaway

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, and anything else by Jhonen Vasquez cuz he rules
    my CD, THE GLASS, is now available on the iTunes Music Store!!

You can also get it from CD Baby
    Become my friend on
    myspace!!

Originally posted by PirateFetus V.2@Feb 13 2005, 04:13 PM
    Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, and anything else by Jhonen Vasquez cuz he rules
    [snapback]1490[/snapback]
    The Bad Art Collection is possibly the funniest (and most disturbing?) thing I have ever read. Wrong in so many ways.

normyk's chocolate blog!

Discovered Stowaway

hell yes.

"LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO MY NUTSACK!!!"

"Them's ain't no ordinary taters, son... let's run!"

Become my friend on
    myspace!!

I used to be waaaay more into US comics than I am currently, mostly due to lack of funds and access to a decent comic book shop. I LOVE Ultimate Spider-Man, love it with a passion, as well as Brubaker's run on Catwoman (I haven't read any of the stuff by the new guy, but frankly the only reason I was still buying it after Gulacy came on as the penciller was because of Brubaker's writing-- I hate Gulacy's pencils). I'll pick up the odd Batman title, and Birds of Prey is consistantly well-written and highly enjoyable. I used to be really heavily into X-Men, but like SetaGinny, they lost me around Onslaught and I just haven't really been able to get back into it. I was happy when they brought back Rachel Summers (one of my all-time favorite characters) but she looks horrible right now and I have no idea what's going on with her powers and it's very confusing. Sigh. I'm also MADLY in love with Mignola's Hellboy series and highly reccomend it to anyone-- it's fantastic. The Pulse is also pretty good, but then I'll read just about anything by Brian Michael Bendis. Powers is really good, but I'm so far behind on it I may as well not even list it. Oh, and the miniseries of Batgirl Year One is frickin' AWESOME, pick it up if you can find it! (There's a trade out for it, but I'd reccomend getting the loose issues if you can find them, the story works better if you're thinking of them as seperate issues for some reason.) One of my all-time faves. I like stuff by Slave Labor Graphics, too, like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Lenore-- I Feel Sick is probably my favorite of them, but it won't make much sense unless you've read Johnny. Oh, and 1602 by Neil Gaiman was really good, too, give that a read if you get the chance. And there's a bunch of good stuff out there in the independant presses, too. Flight is a book that has some work done by some friends of mine who are INSANELY talented-- check it out, it's put out by Image. And, yeah, I'll shaddup now. ;)

--Bevin
    If you spoiler me, I will eat you with tater tots.

Discovered Stowaway

I feel sick rocks

btw, NEW FILLERBUNNY BOOK SOON!

Become my friend on
    myspace!!

Pirate Fetus - I had to go bust out my copy of BAC and just sat giggling over it for a few minutes. Truly a guilty pleasure. And I can't wait for more Fillerbunny.
    Bevin - Batgirl Year One was excellent! Sadly it made me go back to re-read Killing Joke again. *sigh* Exceptional book, but so damn sad. Alan Moore rules almost as much as Bendis.
    I Feel Sick was probably the best thing JV has done. I love everything I have read from him but I Feel Sick was something more than the normal fare. Great covers too.
    And I have the squeaky Spooky toy at my desk at work! Lil' Spooky sits right next to Great Cthulhu on my toy shelf. I can get away with it because computer geeks are supposed to have geeky toys (though people always ask me why I have no Star Trek stuff).

normyk's chocolate blog!

I used to read Sonic when I was a kid, then I realized it was pretty dumb and stopped. And I'm glad I did after hearing what happened in the comics after I stopped following them.

I don't read a lot of American comics, but I do like DC a lot.

Too bad American comics really aren't what they used to be.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information