Page 12 of 213 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions

Default Re: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions Watch Thread

6.39pm:CloseLink to this update: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...ates#block-106 The army are being cheered as they pass in tanks/armoured cars in Cairo by protesters who are clambering on to the vehicles.
    6.42pm:CloseLink to this update: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...ates#block-107 Apparently, bizarrely, it's the president's national guard being cheered through the streets of Cairo as they make their way to the state TV station, which has been taken over by protesters.The Egyptian museum, full of priceless artefacts, is said to be at risk from the fire at the NDP headquarters.
    Eh?
    EDIT:http://vimeo.com/19298338

A convoy of army tanks drive through Cairo streets http://www.alarabiya.net/en_default.html #egypt #mubarak #jan25
    . . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...protests-video

Warning: video contains disturbing images (at least in the last minutes)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles the Dark View Post
    6.42pm:CloseLink to this update: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...ates#block-107 Apparently, bizarrely, it's the president's national guard being cheered through the streets of Cairo as they make their way to the state TV station, which has been taken over by protesters.The Egyptian museum, full of priceless artefacts, is said to be at risk from the fire at the NDP headquarters.
    Eh?
    What the... 0.0 I am not sure what to make of the cheering of the people for the national guard...

Well, I am quite worried about the museum. =/ They better make sure nothing happens to the historical and cultural treasure it holds.
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212

~Rock and Roll~

From Facebook
    Medical sources say 870 people were wounded in Cairo alone today.

I guess the whole world is tasting what Egyptians have been tasing for 30 years. Lack of information (information blackout really) , no one knows what's next, no certainity whatsoever, etc.

An 82 years old dictator is missing and no one knows where he is. Some say he ran away but just taking time to announce it until he... is as far as possible. Some day he is ill. Nothing is known for sure.
    And also a demonstration in London tomorrow:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...8967981&ref=mf

And last but not least

Here's a summary of the day's events so far on a momentous day in Egypt's history:
    Live blog: recap

President Hosni Mubarak has ordered a curfew in three cities (3.30pm), later extended to the entire country, which was supposed to start at 6pm today and last until 7am tomorrow morning but it has been roundly ignored as clashes have continued.

Mubarak has sent in the army to restore order in Cairo, Alexandria and Suez but protesters cheered the army in some areas, calling on them to side with them against the police (3.43 pm). In some areas the army has done so. Soldiers have shaken hands with protesters in Alexandria and in Cairo. Demonstrators have clambered onto tanks in Suez and Cairo. There have also been unconfirmed reports of clashes between the army and police

There have been unconfirmed reports of many protesters killed today, including a woman in Tahrir square in Cairo, two people in Suez, one named as Hamada Labib, 30, a driver., one person in Alexandria and a 14-year-old in Port Said.

In the country's strongest intervention so far, US secretary of state Hillary Clinton said the US is "deeply concerned about the use of violence by Egyptian police and security forces against protestors". (5.12pm)

Some police are reported to have joined the protesters, who welcomed them to their ranks. (5.05pm)

Police immediately attacked protesters after Friday prayers (11.12am) but protesters remained defiant and fought back, overwhelming police and government buildings right across the country. The ruling NDP's party headquarters in Cairo were set on fire (4.23pm).
    Edit:
    A picture from the afternoon while protesters got attacked duing praying

Visit me on Facebook: Heart'n'Skull

From FB Page:
    Police has now left Belbeis completely and protesters have control.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/elshaheeed.co.uk
    EDIT: Also, NPR reported that protesters are taking down metal barriers to try and a take a square (Taihi square?)

EDIT:
    30 thousand protesters are marching in Mahalla freely and under their full control.

EDIT 2:
    American TV Channel (in Arabic) AlHurra claims that buildings of the ruling party are being set on fire by the government agents themselves to cover the corruption they had and burn all important documents inside these buildings.

A conspiracy?
    Last edited by ChesCa; January 28th, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...against-regime

Thousands of Yemenis, apparently inspired by events in Tunisia and Egypt, held a mass demonstration on Thursday calling on President Ali Abdullah Saleh to quit after holding power since 1978.
    That snowball is building.

Fuck Fuck Fuck! This year started out so fucking insane!
    Let's so, Egypt! This movement caught fire!
    I have to say this is one of the reasons to be grateful for the existence of the net. Not only might it have given the resistance of the youth more fire, since they got access to information not given to them by their regime, but because we can follow what is happening in a blink.
    But this won't go down as easily as everyone hopes. In Tunisia shit went down so fast, it was unreal, mainly because the military literally told the president "We're out if this, you're fucked, pal". In Egypt's case they still stand firmly behind Mubarak and I don't know how far they would go. Atleast the police stands with the people. But I'm scared.
    I saw some live footage today, a young man fell down in the mids of the demonstrations, it went down too fast but I think it was a head shot. He stopped moving and his friends were carrying him off the streets. This is a battelfield. It's unbearable.
    I pray this will succeed without too much bloodshed! Please Egypt, stay strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Cymelion View Post
    That snowball is building.
    Gaddafi, we're coming for you.

Yeah, Lilly, that guy was shot by a sniper, not sure from where. I wonder if eventually the military will side with the protesters like they did in Tunisia.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Yeah, Lilly, that guy was shot by a sniper, not sure from where. I wonder if eventually the military will side with the protesters like they did in Tunisia.
    Depends a lot on united states. Mubarak is backed by USA. and a lot of people have high stakes with him being in office. Military can't just take over unless it has some assurances (international sanctions etc.)

More from Israel:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...ates#block-114
    ime magazine talks to "a minister in the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu," and reports that Israel appears to be backing the Mubarak regime:
    With a deep investment in the status quo, Israel is watching what a senior official calls "an earthquake in the Middle East" with growing concern. The official says the Jewish state has faith in the security apparatus of its most formidable Arab neighbor, Egypt, to suppress the street demonstrations that threaten the dictatorial rule of President Hosni Mubarak. The harder question is what comes next.
    But this was the most eye-catching quote from the unidentified minister:
    "I'm not sure the time is right for the Arab region to go through the democratic process."

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    Depends a lot on united states. Mubarak is backed by USA. and a lot of people have high stakes with him being in office. Military can't just take over unless it has some assurances (international sanctions etc.)
    Sorry I was talking about the Egyptian military. It seems that the protesters really like the military there.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Sorry I was talking about the Egyptian military. It seems that the protesters really like the military there.
    yea me too. Whenever military takes over international community usually adds sanctions. Although they might be backed by protestors. but to international community it would be unlawful coup over throwing someone who is not a dictator (as said earlier today bu US vice president)

Well the Egyptian Cabinet was fired if I read the news right, with promises of a new government tomorrow, though with the forums down and it being a huge news story people probably know this by now.

Mubarak will continue to be president, so will this really change things?

Whoa this thread grows fast.

I've been growing more and more curious about this. Especially the situation in Egypt, considering I have family there. I would try to find out what's going on from them (from their firsthand perspective), but I haven't seen them...ever, and don't speak the language. Looks like I'm just going to have to follow this thread for updates on the situation there.

The way I understood it, Mubarak basically said "those things you don't like, I don't like either. I promise to do something vague about it. this time for real." And siding with the security forces and police? Baaaaad idea mubarak.
    And what the hell was up with talking about people fearing the protesters? Fear in Egypt is of YOU you numbskull.

According to danish news, egyptians in the street reacted to the speech that blamed the cabinet but confirmed Mubaraks intention to stay, by chanting "Down with Mubarak!"
    Fuck yeah, these people are too pissed to buy into this guys bullshit statements.

Also, is it a valid assumption that this thread is what put a strain on the forums?

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by The Daz View Post
    The way I understood it, Mubarak basically said
    what he basically said was

Write something, Dammit! Rogues' Gallery's Avatar

The fuck was that?

I wasn't able to get anywhere with this forum for at least 2-3 hours because the "Server was too busy".

was this just me?

President of America Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Finally, we're back.

Mubarak: MUST. SAVE. ASS. *gives speech* ...FUCK ME.

Thread Information