Page 2 of 213 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Default Re: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions Watch Thread

1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    There were tweets saying that the tear gas canisters being shot said "Made in US" on them. Fucking disgusting.
    Well, seeing as they bought them from us, it's no surprise.
    We sell they buy. Up until now, they weren't being used on the people, so we had no reason to jeopardize the contract. It's business.

You wouldn't be calling it "fucking disgusting" if they weren't using them on the people, so let's not jump to such things just yet.

There were tweets saying that the tear gas canisters being shot said "Made in US" on them. Fucking disgusting.
    yeah, this picture has been going around too:

Hidden:

You can't see it like this, but basically the bottom of the can says "Made in USA".

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    I'm honestly thinking of contacting my representatives.

Our media should be taking the government to task on this. Maddow, Stewart, goddamned Beck, I don't care.
    People on Twitter were talking about this, too. Philip J. Crowley also posted the following:

We are concerned that communication services, including the Internet, social media and even this #tweet, are being blocked in #Egypt.

We are closely monitoring the situation in #Egypt. We continue to urge authorities to show restraint and allow peaceful protests to occur.
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

One Character at a time Rogues' Gallery's Avatar

Apparently there's little to no coverage whatsoever.
    I can imagine why. *shudders*

I'm honestly thinking of contacting my representatives.

Our media should be taking the government to task on this. Maddow, Stewart, goddamned Beck, I don't care.
    Do it. Someone needs to bring light to this. My parents (and probably most Americans) had no idea whatsoever that something of this magnitude is going down and believe that it doesn't affect them because Egypt is "so far away".

Anyway, I show my support for the people of Egypt.

i was actually going to make a thread on this topic, but i was thinking jerk disease could probably do it better. well informative. i wish for the best in egypt

Quote Originally Posted by trappedolphin View Post
    I found this picture pretty inspiring.

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/25/230680480.jpg

I read somewhere that protests are supposed to begin at 5AM Eastern Time. That's a little over four hours from now. It's exciting, but terribly frightening at the same time.
    Yeah. I can think of several possible conclusions, and most involve bloodshed. The best result I can think of is Mubarak giving in.

is this stream live? i think its almost 8am in egypt and it seems kinda dark.

Thanks man, this topic made things easier to understand a thing that I really wanted to know more about.

http://www.presstv.com/detail/162335.html

Fucking shut up for once in your life Israel.
    Israel dont really want to make Nasser or similar to make his return... I dont think they like Mubarak that much anyway but atleast he is an co-operative. Israel is living in a fucked up situation being surrounded by hostile cultures with each of surrounding nations outnumbering Israel by population by huge margin even with having most strongest military in area, but since Egypt was their main enemy and leader of hostile coalition against Israel back in 60's-70's they dont want history to repeat itself a bit.

I wish that people of Egypt would be able to kick that despot Mubarak out of office but I dont think its very likely, Mubarak and his goverment is really fond of being in power and they will not give up on power in their lifetime, as long they are backed down by police and military any hope of revolution will be dealt with extreme measures.

Mubarak will be backed up by other Arab leaders in this matter and he is free to use extreme force to crush any hopes of rebellion, of course there will be internation outcry for too harsh methods but everyone knows that it will only take couple of years before its forgotten by everyone.

Egypt lives by tourism though so they might have to cover their hands to silk before they grab the hammer to crush rebellion lest they scary tourists off (who are only intrested to lay in beaches and observing some pyramids).

Unfortunately some of the rebels are anything but liberal and if they somehow manage to overthrow Mubarak and his totalitarian rule Egypt might face new age of repression and a brutal massacre targeting of kopti christian population in nation who has been living in relative peace with rest of the population up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigee View Post
    Nah. It's not. If it were, we should be able to skip.

It says it's offline for me.

http://www.presstv.com/detail/162335.html

Fucking shut up for once in your life Israel.
    The unnamed minister wasn't urging Egypt to use force from what I read in the article, it just has him stating that he doesn't think the people will be able to overthrow the government.
    Sometimes life knocks you down. You have to get up and tell it, "You hit like a b****!"

Okay, I have to go to bed now. I've got to be up for a long day of classes in six hours.
    I really hope I don't wake up to find out that there's been a massacre..

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Yeah. I can think of several possible conclusions, and most involve bloodshed. The best result I can think of is Mubarak giving in.
    If he were going to do that without a fight, he almost certainly would have already done so if only to leave on his own terms. At this point, a military coup is probably the least bloody way of resolving this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shandian
    Israel is living in a fucked up situation being surrounded by hostile cultures with each of surrounding nations outnumbering Israel by population by huge margin
    Maybe they shouldn't piss off their neighbors by doing things like promising not to build settlements and then going ahead and doing it anyway. Even then, it's not like any of their neighbors is going to risk Israel glassing their capital just for the sake of Palestinians. Talk of Israel being erased from the map is nonsense.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
    Well, seeing as they bought them from us, it's no surprise.
    We sell they buy. Up until now, they weren't being used on the people, so we had no reason to jeopardize the contract. It's business.

You wouldn't be calling it "fucking disgusting" if they weren't using them on the people, so let's not jump to such things just yet.
    When paired with the comments from Biden and the rest of the press?
    It's fucking disgusting.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Reading the thread title, it smelt a bit jerkish. My sense of smell is almost as good as my gaydar.

But seriously, this is crazy interesting. I never imagined Egypt could be in such upheaval, be it possibly for the better. Ignorance sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigee View Post
    I don't think it's live anymore. I think this is a recording now.
    3DS FC: 5370-0485-4643

its pretty much going to be a given that there is going to be massive losses :(

One Character at a time Rogues' Gallery's Avatar

Watching the nightly news right now. Absolutely nothing reported on these events so far.

When paired with the comments from Biden and the rest of the press?
    It's fucking disgusting.
    The press is the press. They are completely independent from the government. And Biden is Biden. He in no way repesents the beliefs of the White House.

And why I don't like it any more than you do, I also don't think we should be blaming our government in anyway. If Egypt didn't get them from us, they'd get them from somewhere, we were just the best deal.
    Would it somehow make it better if they read Made in Russia, England, China, etc. on them?

Personally, I don't give a fuck who made them, I care about how they're being used. That's what's fucking disgusting, not that they read "made in the U.S.A"
    Last edited by Akumu; January 27th, 2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: So much for going to bed. Can't sleep with all this on my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
    The press is the press. They are completely independent from the government. And Biden is Biden. He in no way repesents the beliefs of the White House.
    I should have clarified. I meant press secretary.
    And why I don't like it any more than you do, I also don't think we should be blaming our government in anyway. If Egypt didn't get them from us, they'd get them from somewhere, we were just the best deal.
    I'm willing to follow you on "we funded them for use not on people" but don't use this non-logic nihilist excuse bullshit on me.

Personally, I don't give a fuck who made them, I care about how they're being used. That's what's fucking disgusting, not that they read "made in the U.S.A"
    Do you not fucking get the entire concept that we are highly supportive of a repressive regime in the first place?
    Are you so goddamn dense that you don't understand that people didn't really care about "hey this one object was made in the US" so much as what that symbolizes in large?

This is one of the surrogate babies we let suck on our teat for our aims in the region, their military is a giant bubble because we fund them. You know what helped in Tunisia? That the government wasn't being pumped full of boom boom money.

If you believe you live in an electoral democracy, and you fucking do and should be more grateful for it now then most times, you should feel slightly gross and wanting to effect change in your countries policies.

I'm sick of this reactionary knee jerk reaction of when any amount of negative spotlight gets thrown back on the US for some people who would say anything about any other country turning immeditaly to garbage like "IT WOULD BE SOMONE ELSE LOL".

You don't get to care about what X is used for when where X came from is just as important. Military support from other nations is a CENTRAL part of international understanding.
    Refusing to pay attention to one to care about the other is a lie.

And why do you think we have this photo. Huh? Why?
    Why are Egyptians holding up "MADE IN USA" to the camera? Why do you think they're doing that? What do you think our hypocritical position toward Egypt is doing right now? And how dense can you be to think something like that doesn't matter? Do you know anything about the Iranian revolution? How about the Khmer Rouge? What about the Taliban?

Thread Information