Page 64 of 213 FirstFirst ... 14 54 62 63 64 65 66 74 114 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 4257

Thread: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions

Default Re: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions Watch Thread

time to start looking out for Algerian tweets and news.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110212/...medium=twitter

The protest was not backed by the main trade unions or the biggest opposition parties. Nearly all members of Algeria's radical Islamist groups, which were banned in the 1990s but still have grassroots influence, stayed away.
    Responding to opposition pressure, [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]government [COLOR=#366388 ! important]officials[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] say they are working hard to create more jobs and improve housing, and they have promised more democratic freedoms including the lifting of a state of emergency in force for 19 years.
    The Interior Ministry statement on Saturday's protest said: "An attempt to organize a march was recorded today at May 1 Square by a crowd estimated at 250 people. Fourteen people were detained and immediately released."
    Officials with the opposition RCD party, which helped organize the protest, told Reuters the demonstrators totaled between 7,000 and 10,000 and that 1,000 people were arrested.
    Reuters reporters at the scene said protesters were outnumbered by police and by hundreds of onlookers milling around. A small counter-protest started up nearby, with people chanting "We want peace not chaos!" and "Algeria is not Egypt!"
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

all i know about algeria for now is that the police is very violent

does somebody have more information what is happening now there?

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    I want a Belarus revolution real bad. Russia probably won't even care since they hate Lukashenko now and have literally made televized documentaries to slander him lol.

It might be a sense of completism. Europe is this close to being nearly democratic across the board (aside from some really skeevy shit in Russia, and no one cares about microstate monarchies), and there's still this one last goddamn Soviet remainder right in the thick of things dancing around and mooning the rest of the joint.

Down with him!
    Whenever I see gymnists from Belarus all I can think of is the U.S.S.R.

“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”

A little outside the topic. But now libyan airlines have made all trips to Tripoli on the 17th free and payed by the goverment. It lokks like this is happening, im off to pack my bags
    WHAT!!!
    GO AWAY!!

I'm tunisian.
    You can ask me whatever you want, I can answer.
    We're finally free.
    Congratulation to all egyptians, nobody can understand your happiness more than us.
    Last edited by frej; February 12th, 2011 at 10:13 AM.

Algeria eh? Glad to see it hasn't stopped yet.

I want a Belarus revolution real bad. Russia probably won't even care since they hate Lukashenko now and have literally made televized documentaries to slander him lol.

It might be a sense of completism. Europe is this close to being nearly democratic across the board (aside from some really skeevy shit in Russia, and no one cares about microstate monarchies), and there's still this one last goddamn Soviet remainder right in the thick of things dancing around and mooning the rest of the joint.

Down with him!
    We would stil have Transnistria on our hands.

Yes people, there actualy are countries out there in the world that are factualy independent but without any recognition. The outside world just thinks ignoring it will make them go away.

President of America Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Once Bouteflika's gone, Gaddafi is pretty much fucked.

"hey those egyptians to the east did it, those tunisians did it in the north, and those algerians did it in the east, why don't we join the cool kids club???"

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartholemew kuma View Post
    A little outside the topic. But now libyan airlines have made all trips to Tripoli on the 17th free and payed by the goverment. It lokks like this is happening, im off to pack my bags
    You're going back to Libya? Or are you getting out of dodge in case it lights up?

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam
    We would stil have Transnistria on our hands.
    It's impossible to tell whether Transnistria is a dictatorship since no international observers have been checking their elections. The same guy has won three times which is pretty suspect but not impossible when he's tied to the independence movement. People would vote him in that many times plausibly.

Yes people, there actualy are countries out there in the world that are factualy independent but without any recognition. The outside world just thinks ignoring it will make them go away.
    I lean on the side of supporting ethnic self determination, I like to think of the nation state as a step toward the point where society gets more interconnected and ethnic lines melt into less important things. And Irish and Italians marry and their children marry WASPs and create beautiful babies like me.

So if Moldovan Russians feel strongly enough to fight for independence I have a hard time thinking of why I should deny them it.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

You're going back to Libya? Or are you getting out of dodge in case it lights up?

It's impossible to tell whether Transnistria is a dictatorship since no international observers have been checking their elections. The same guy has won three times which is pretty suspect but not impossible when he's tied to the independence movement. People would vote him in that many times plausibly.

I lean on the side of supporting ethnic self determination, I like to think of the nation state as a step toward the point where society gets more interconnected and ethnic lines melt into less important things. And Irish and Italians marry and their children marry WASPs and create beautiful babies like me.

So if Moldovan Russians feel strongly enough to fight for independence I have a hard time thinking of why I should deny them it.
    Well I saw a documentary by a foreign journalist visiting the country and it seemed to be prety Stalinist.

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    Well I saw a documentary by a foreign journalist visiting the country and it seemed to be prety Stalinist.
    Dude, Stalinist would be like North Korea.

From what I saw from the Simon Reeve visit they mostly just kept Soviet symbols. But if they're holding presidential elections, fraudulent or no, they're not even a communist state, let alone Stalinist.

Maybe being Czech you would have a hard time believing it, but there are people, generally the closer toward Russia you get, who miss the Communist days if for no other reason then stability and ethnic harmony.
    Not all countries have been able to run into the sun and dance the free market jig and the democracy tango so easily as guys like you, Poland, and Slovenia. Moldova is ....pretty objectively worse off if anything. And my guess is especially the Russians who live there strongly miss the days when a Russian dominated Union state was in charge of their area.
    Because when that died away (understandably) outraged Romanians started flaunting their ethnic freedom, and unfortunately that lead to heavy prejudice against Russians and other East Slavs in particular.
    So to Transnistrians, I doubt Communism itself has any meaning, but the Soviet symbols mean stability and protection from the ethnic violence and irredentism that occured in Moldova around and nearing independence.

Something similar is true of Yugoslavia, some people from there still identify as Yugoslav and still idolize Tito because of all the horrific bullshit that happened when Yugoslavia collapsed. Even if you ask them their ethnicity they might refuse to say anything other then Yugoslav.
    I think actually Ivotas was an example of this, an ex pat who lived in Germany, and I know I saw him identify as Yugoslav once and get kinda mad when some clueless dingus "corrected" him by saying there wasn't a Yugoslavia anymore.
    He'd be great to talk about it with, but unfortunately I made him leave the forum forever lolll.
    Last edited by JERK DISEASE; February 12th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Dude, Stalinist would be like North Korea.

From what I saw from the Simon Reeve visit they mostly just kept Soviet symbols. But if they're holding presidential elections, fraudulent or no, they're not even a communist state, let alone Stalinist.

Maybe being Czech you would have a hard time believing it, but there are people, generally the closer toward Russia you get, who miss the Communist days if for no other reason then stability and ethnic harmony.
    Reminds me how the former old communist party member and current communist party member was insulted that anti communist resistance fighters from the 50's and 60's would get the status of veterans and compared them to terrorists.

Yesterday.

No Maam do your paps or granpaps have any cool revolution stories to share with this thread about revolutions.

More about an invasion of 6 allied armies to depose our government.

And subsequent glorification thereof.

If Transnistria is a totalitarian state, where do they keep their forced labour camps for political criminals, in Ukraine lol?

They had to have space for their army parades

They have 18 (eighteen!) tanks left over from the Soviet border guard. Parades, eh.

18 tanks seems quite a lot for the stretch

I feel bad for those who can't understand Arabic. The most amazing song for the revolution: http://bit.ly/euev0n #Jan25 <-- anyone got a translation for this? I would love to know it.
    here is the translation
    I'm sorry it's kinda fast translate :

I went downstairs, I said I'm not come back
    And I wrote with my blood in every street
    now everyone listen what i said
    we broke all inhibitions
    Our weapons were our dreams
    our future is totally clear
    From long time we are waiting
    we are looking for someone understand us
    In every street ,
    Voice of Freedom calling us
    We raised our heads in the Sky
    And we don't care for hunger
    The most important is our rights
    And we are write the history with our blood
    If you're one of us
    Leave the huffing and tell us
    u will not leave your dream
    ,stop saying "I" we are all with u

song by : Downtown team
    song name : Freedom Voice

* just a note

al tahrir is arabic word mean liberty so we are in liberty square
    This is the reason for the Protesters stay in al tahrir
    Last edited by dedo1231; February 12th, 2011 at 04:11 PM.

no im in benghazi, i wanna hit the center of all this, even though there are alot on my head trying to prevent me if this happens.
    WHAT!!!
    GO AWAY!!

Thread Information