Page 66 of 213 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 166 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 4257

Thread: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions

Default Re: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions Watch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    mubarak falls into full coma?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    Wow. Did we jinx the guy or something? :P
    Are you serious? It couldn't have happened earlier?

President of America Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Coma's not good enough, come on Reaper Man take it to the next level.

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Are you serious? It couldn't have happened earlier?
    They said he lost consciousness more than once when he was in the palace and in the last day he fainted 3 times or so.

-Reuters: Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood plans to set up party
    Hidden:
    CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood says it will set up a political party once restrictions are lifted that prevented it and other groups from doing so under President Hosni Mubarak.

The Islamist group said in a statement it had declared its desire to a set up a party many years ago but was stopped by the political parties law, one of many curbs on political activity during Mubarak's rule.

"When the popular demand for the freedom to form parties is realised, the group will found a political party," said the statement, posted on the group's website and dated February 14.

The Brotherhood was founded in the 1920s and has deep roots in Egypt's conservative Muslim society. Although Mubarak maintained a formal ban on the group, his administration tolerated it so long as it did not challenge his power.

The Brotherhood said on Saturday it would not seek the presidency or a parliamentary majority in elections which Egypt's new military rulers have promised to hold.

The military council, which took over from Mubarak on Friday, has said it plans to transfer power to civilians and establish democratic rule. The council has said it will govern temporarily until elections are held.

The United States has expressed concern about what it has called the Brotherhood's "anti-American rhetoric", but stopped short of saying it would be against the group taking a role in a future government.
    -Arab League's Amr Moussa to run for Egypt's president
    Hidden:
    CAIRO, Feb. 14 (Xinhua) -- Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa said Monday he intends to nominate himself in Egypt's coming presidential elections, Al Arabia TV reported.

Moussa said he will devote the coming months to his presidential campaign after leaving his post in the Arab League in March. According to Al Arabia TV, he has prepared a campaign plan focusing on the principles of law, democracy and human rights.

Moussa hailed on Friday the Egyptian revolution in which President Hosni Mubarak stepped down as protests hit the country for more than two weeks.

Moussa said earlier that it was too early to talk about the presidential elections. "As an Egyptian citizen, I've the honor to serve my country in any post and it is time help in forming a consensus of opinions," he said.

-Riot police in Bahrain open fire at funeral march, second protester now dead

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Goddamn, Bahrain is heating up.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...645551445.html

What the hell is the government thinking?? Firing at a funeral? They're asking for it.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

All they wanted was a bit of reform, now they'll go full revolution mode.

Great going.

It's so dumb I almost suspect the cops were TRYING for that.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    It's so dumb I almost suspect the cops were TRYING for that.
    Maybe the cops are secretly revolutionaries?

PLOT TWIST

[YOUTUBE]srRWJzRhuzo&showinfo=0[/YOUTUBE]

Hmm, i'm afraid Bahrain is going to have to be suspended from the RLP membership for the time being (Rich Little Places).

Discovered Stowaway

[youtube]DEA11eZrL0Q[/youtube]

news summary - Bahrain iran egypt

Why... the heck would they fire at the protesters while they were holding a freakin' funeral service? 0.o What kind of crack are the policemen in Bahrain taking?!
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212

~Rock and Roll~

Goddamn, Bahrain is heating up.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...645551445.html

What the hell is the government thinking?? Firing at a funeral? They're asking for it.
    WTF?
    This is the kind of shit you find in Mexico when cartel violence gets out of control.
    And Mubarak's a troll to the very end.
    "Oh, I'm going to die anyway, but I may as well take you down with me."
    It's times like these I wish I believed in a hell.

[youtube]l96wRjM4EEg[/youtube]

Awesome video :)
    The Egyptians were in the middle of praying the night prayer at Tahrir square when the news that Mubarak resigned came. Everyone else who wasn't praying started to celebrate, while the worshipers continued as though nothing happened. When they finished the prayer everyone else started to celebrate.
    This is a good display of the Egyptian unity. It is so nice seeing complete strangers standing side by side like that, praying to God in unity. Shouts of "AllahuAkbar!" filled the air, which translates to "God is the Greatest!"

Apparently the Bahrainian protests are rare in that there's reports of them neing non-secretarian. Sunnis are marching too.

Unfortunately Saudi Arabia has said they would intervene if things get "out of hand".

If Bahrain escalates to Egypt level protests, that tiny ass little nation is going to create potentially even bigger waves then Tunisia.

The Saudi's are starting to piss me off. They could really make a mess of everything.

What we need right now is a little rioting in Saudi to distract them for a bit while Lil' Bahrain does its thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    What we need right now is a little rioting in Saudi to distract them for a bit while Lil' Bahrain does its thing.
    I severely doubt rioting in Saudia. People there mostly live wealthy lives, and you're also forgetting who Saudia allies themselves with.
    If anything, I expect there will be some protests with people showing their support for the other countries going through turmoil, but nothing big like Egypt. Protests would probably be under complete control too, that country has tons of police force and otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    I severely doubt rioting in Saudia. People there mostly live wealthy lives, and you're also forgetting who Saudia allies themselves with.
    If anything, I expect there will be some protests with people showing their support for the other countries going through turmoil, but nothing big like Egypt. Protests would probably be under complete control too, that country has tons of police force and otherwise.
    People in Bahrain live pretty wealthily as well, in fact about the same if GDP per capita is any indication.
    And as for HDI (which is frankly more important) Bahrain is not only higher than Saudi Arabia, it's about 50 points higher!!!

Remember, these are the Persian Gulf states, they are very very rich. Ethnically alike to places like Egypt, but in terms of infrastructure and economy they're worlds apart.

I know Western stereotypes cast the Arab world as being below Europe, but parts of it are nearly on level with Western Europe, and for those of you living in Eastern Europe? Well it's them looking down at your economies not the other way around.

There are more grievances in the world then money. Remember 87' in South Korea. A regime (or two or three) had brought them prosperity, made them an economic tiger, and you know what? People still wanted them gone, and they got gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    I wonder what will happen to them in 30 years when oil starts to run out in case it hasn't been replaced by another fuel yet. Most rich Arabian countries have petroleum-based economies and considering the lack of other resources in most of those areas it's interesting to think about what will eventually happen to them. But I'm sure they will think up plans in the near future they should have enough budget to change the route of their economy and make it tourism-based or something like that.

But I digress.

I think nobody wants to be oppressed regardless of GNP, income or whatever. Nor should corruption ever be tolerated. It was the same back then with the GDR in 1989 my father used to tell me about it a lot. People who worked and lived in the GDR had acceptable lifes there was enough food, room and work for everyone. They might have lacked in a few areas (cars for example) but all in all they could stand on their own. However they had been oppressed for more than 40 years, were watched by Stasi dogs all the time and were even forbidden to leave their own country. The elections in 1989 were really just the last straw but all in all people were never happy with the government they just chose to be quiet until then. Much like with the Arabian people who are finally starting to stand up for themselves.

People in Bahrain live pretty wealthily as well, in fact about the same if GDP per capita is any indication.
    And as for HDI (which is frankly more important) Bahrain is not only higher than Saudi Arabia, it's about 50 points higher!!!

Remember, these are the Persian Gulf states, they are very very rich. Ethnically alike to places like Egypt, but in terms of infrastructure and economy they're worlds apart.

I know Western stereotypes cast the Arab world as being below Europe, but parts of it are nearly on level with Western Europe, and for those of you living in Eastern Europe? Well it's them looking down at your economies not the other way around.

There are more grievances in the world then money. Remember 87' in South Korea. A regime (or two or three) had brought them prosperity, made them an economic tiger, and you know what? People still wanted them gone, and they got gone.
    That's definitely true. Lack of wealth and unemployment is not the only reason for an uprising, but it's definitely a driving reason for people to be pushed to such a point of despair that they are willing to put their lives on the line to make a change in their country.

To strengthen your point, according to this article, published in March 2010:
    "[In Bahrain,] Unemployment reached 2.8 per cent among women and one percent among men." Down from combined total of 16% in 2002.
    Compare that to 9.7% in Egypt. There are probably a lot of factors that make it that low, but that's still saying something.

It's amazing to see things actually being done by the strength of the people. I've been to a lot of Islamic lectures over the years where the speakers focus on the fact that if we want to see improvements in the relationship between muslims worldwide and see the condition of muslim countries improve, (the worldwide muslim community is referred to as an "ummah", basically a family. Ideally, race, status, age, nationality, etc., is not supposed to be a cause of strife between any two)
    then the people must stand up and put their efforts into actually changing things around them. Whether it be greeting your neighbour with a smile, to being a leader in your community, to putting up a united front against corruption and injustice. There was too much talk and too little being done.

And then something amazing happened in Tunisia.
    In history, you should hear of the feats that a small dedicated force achieved in the middle east, compared to the collective uselessness of the large majority of us today. Not excluding myself either.
    I'm happy to see that something is being done. We sit around and we whine about the corruption in the world, but we forget about the power of one motivated human being. Well, Tunisia had hundreds of them. Egypt did too. Let's hope this catches on like wildfire and the rest of the authorities of the world realize that if they don't do their jobs right, they're next.

To share a favourite quote of mine:
    The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: If one of you sees something evil he should change it with his hand. If he cannot, he should speak out against it, and if he cannot do even that he should at least detest it in his heart, this being the weakest form of faith.

/end essay. Apologies.

I like the Ummah, they made some good beats on the last few Tribe albums.

[YOUTUBE]ENqUeOit7oM&showinfo=0[/YOUTUBE]

Thread Information