Page 66 of 215 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 166 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 4288

Thread: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Default Re: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions Watch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Herodadotus View Post
    Oh, I meant who's in power, but I missed that, too.
    I see.. his name is King Hamad al-Khalifa.

-Clashes reported in Iran protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    There is this joke about Bouteflika going to the streets and protesting with the people against the government.
    I got the wrong guy here. It was Gaddafi who said that he will protest with the people against the government because he's only the president and everything in Libya is the government fault.

============

-Ahmed Ezz who used to be the Secretary General of the ruling NDP party in Egypt & is said to have overseen the vote rigging in November's elections, interviewed by Alarabiya
    Hidden:
    -Ezz: We didn't do enough to absorb the youth in the NDP. The NDP party is very popular in rural Egypt, amongst the farmers especially.

-The most important leaders from the NDP (come from rural Egypt), & I was proud of that before I left the NDP

-We didn't do enough to absorb intelligent youth, I don't want to use the word failed to but we didn't put so much of an effort.

-We should have absorbed this youth, who have dreams & are active, who come from the middle class. This was the failure.

-We were in touch with the street. The future will judge us. Our plans were about how to deal with the daily lives of people.

-This great push (the revolution) that happened recently, it was welcomed by the whole of Egypt actually & went further beyond our plans

-I must salute the youth of Meydan Tahrir. I didn't have a chance to meet the leaders there. I wish to meet them at any second.

-I really wish I can meet (the leaders of Meydan Tahrir) so I can listen to them. What are their ideas? How do they see the future?

-What are the wrongs they (Meydan Tahrir leaders) saw? I would apologise if there were any mistakes, of course.

-It is very difficult for any politician to assess the mistakes. We will let the next few months assess (the situation)

-I can't say that our plans excluded the man on the street, or that our agenda excluded them. The challenges were very great.

-Some people may call it a revolution, some may call is an intifada. But there are people whose ideas were greater than ours

-These people wanted the change now, and immediately. I can say this is a good thing. I can't say it is a bad thing.

-I didn't expect it. They saw a further point. I didn't expect that they would. Our plans were "gradualism" it may be wrong.

-I see that there is a rush to adjust the constitution. This does not concern me, I am a private citizen now.

-I always wanted to change article 77. It had to be changed, although 76 should also be changed.

-I am telling you the truth now, you must believe me, we had no plan to allow "Independents" in the parliament.

-The idea was that the President would come from a specific party. It may be wrong, it obviously was wrong.

-Obviously Egyptians didn't agree with us. Article 76 only allowed persons from a party to become president

-It's very clear that a society cannot have elections without judges.

-I don't have any political plans. But I have deep links with my political circle. My future in Egypt is to leave slowly the politics

-I hope I don't become a scape goat. I stopped contacting some friends, I don't like to contact people, make them uncomfortable

-I am not in touch with the current leadership, they have a lot of work now

-Am I scared for my life? I believe in God. But I received death threats. I got them via phone and non telephone

-I can't say I am sorry for anything I did

-(Regarding monopolistic charges) Ezz: There is a lot of talk, over 12 years, of my becoming an investor in Dakheela Steel in 1999

-We entered Dakheela in 1999 at an important time, the company was suffering, marketing & sales wise. It needed a capital injection.

-All the shareholders of Dakheela refused to pump cash into the company, it was owned by Public Funds & by International organizations

-Dakheela Steel has Japanese & German investors & the World Bank but the management was looking for a strategic investor

-The company's management asked us to become investors with official backing, we invested after everyone else refused to invest

-We decided to invest in the company in cash & bought out all the foreign investors, we did not buy any public (Egyptian) shares

-Until today the public shareholding level is maintained & on the board level as well. We did not touch a single public (Egyptian) share

-What is important in this story is what happened to the public funds? The stock value of the company's shares in 1999/2000 was EGP 70

-Public Funds owns Six million shares, now at the last closing price the stock value is over EGP700. We safeguarded public money.

-The company paid dividends as well. We increased the public wealth. This wasn't a privatisation. It is easy to accuse me.

-There's no law in the world that denies a company the right to have any share in the market. Laws only regulate monopolistic activities

-Egyptian law states that a company can't control over 25% of the market. But the authorities investigated my firm from 2006..

-The results of this investigation was made public & proved that this company does not even carry one single monopolistic activity.

-It proved that this company did not make one mistake. This is not the result of a company investigation, it was all official.

-Al Arabiya's Randa Abu Al Azm tells Ahmed Ezz "Of course the investigation results were in your favour, you had a high public position" ...

-Ezz: How do I reply to this? The proof is that our share in the market was going down, from 68% at its peak to 44% today

-I was surprised by the ban on my traveling but I respect it. It wasn't on me only, there were others, I have nothing to hide.

-I have nothing to fear but God. Randa Abu Al Azm asks him: Tell me about your fortune is it really EGP60 Billion?

-All these numbers are not real. All my fortune is in the market, it is paper money

-I don't sell these shares, they go up & go down, they can up up to 1500 then down to 100, it will be an ad hoc number people quote

-There are McCarthy-like trials in Egypt. They are not beneficial. I hope they don't last.

-If someone was proven to have stolen that is a different story. I have never left Egypt (during the revolution) I will not leave.

-Any Egyptian today is concerned & wants the current situation to end, to have a safe path for our dreams to come true

-My future is less important than the country. It is not the first time I get accused, I am not afraid.

-I am concerned about Egypt. I watch TV most of the day, but from afar. I am no longer part of it, I took a decision to resign.

-The November 2010 parliamentary elections were organised by the government not by the NDP

-It will be difficult to exclude the NDP from the coming period

-The interview which was recorded ended, Al Arabiya invited people to comment on it, then Ahmed Ezz called in Live to comment.

-Ezz live: This discussion you had was one-sided. I want to reply to the allegations & the heated argument that just happened.

-They mention my articles in Al Ahram, say that I was boasting in them. But in the last article I say the elections had mistakes

-I told the higher elections committee to follow up. But I never boasted. I will not reply to these insults.

-Is this democracy? Is this the way that people talk now? You accused me of saying things I never did about constitutional reform

-I admitted that certain articles were not appropriate. We compared them with some other constitutions as well.

-You gave others time to accuse me. Let me speak. I did not blame others like your guests accused me of.

-I tackled the Dakheela accusations that were made in the media not in the Courts, which never happened. The courts are sacred.

-The respected Talaat Sadat is accusing my father of having been pushed out of the military. My father left the military in 1959.

-My father left voluntarily, started his own business until the 1970's & 80's the company I was working for with my dad was amongst

-.. the largest in steel trading activities, even before I went into industrial manufacturing of steel myself.

-I don't want it to seem as though I am acting above the revolution that just happened. (anchor tells him no more time, hangs up)

-Al Arabiya guest says: Look, Mr Ezz monopolised the entire discussion like he monopolised political life in Egypt.

-Army urges Egyptians to end strikes.
    Last edited by asm00200; February 14th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

You know.....I've been judging the more prosperous nations as being unlikely. Like Libya and Saudi Arabia, and seeing Bar Kum's pride and the relative indifference of the Saudi guy it seems to hold true.

And you asm, being from Qatar.

(and yeah I know you guys, particularly Bar Ku, might not be able to talk about this, don't worry no pressure, PM if you want)

But I dunno, because with wealth comes middle class life. And with middle class life comes time to think about other things then getting by, and time to think about the big questions about your surroundings.

Egypt was very much a revolution of the economic pains, as were the European 89' ones.

But there's middle class revolutions too. The kind where young kids with big dreams get finally fed up with crusty old authoritarian trappings. They have more economic freedom and want to start moving around and taking bigger charge.

South Korea had huge protests in the late 80's that caused the authoritarian government to surrender to their demands and reach the democracy of today.
    And Tunisia definitely has elements of this while also being an economic rage. And actually Iran is kind of like this too.

So then, if Gaddafi and King Saud have raised their people from poverty into realtive wealth, won't those people be all the more hungry for the next step? Could be? It's a matter of the balance between fear of instability and fearlessness for change.

With huge pillars like Mubarak toppled the bets are off.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Discovered Stowaway

mubarak falls into full coma?

Wow. Did we jinx the guy or something? :P
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212
    Click-> <-Click
    ~Just leave the rest to us~

Iranian protesters talking of going back at it with everything once again. This kind of

courage we've seen in past weeks always shocks me I would be packing.

Good luck to all inspired by Tunisia and Egypt.

Discovered Stowaway

[youtube]VhwpHoP3Sd8[/youtube]

16 dictators
    Last edited by Fire-Fist; February 15th, 2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: stupid spell check

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    mubarak falls into full coma?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie View Post
    Wow. Did we jinx the guy or something? :P
    Are you serious? It couldn't have happened earlier?

Coma's not good enough, come on Reaper Man take it to the next level.
    In ma on nel nonquiz in ma on nel nontlacat ah niquitohua yece. Yeehuaya! Tlen naiz anonohuaco tepilhuan? At teixco ninemi? Quen huel xon mimati. Aya Ohuaya ohuaya!

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Are you serious? It couldn't have happened earlier?
    They said he lost consciousness more than once when he was in the palace and in the last day he fainted 3 times or so.

-Reuters: Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood plans to set up party
    Hidden:
    CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood says it will set up a political party once restrictions are lifted that prevented it and other groups from doing so under President Hosni Mubarak.

The Islamist group said in a statement it had declared its desire to a set up a party many years ago but was stopped by the political parties law, one of many curbs on political activity during Mubarak's rule.

"When the popular demand for the freedom to form parties is realised, the group will found a political party," said the statement, posted on the group's website and dated February 14.

The Brotherhood was founded in the 1920s and has deep roots in Egypt's conservative Muslim society. Although Mubarak maintained a formal ban on the group, his administration tolerated it so long as it did not challenge his power.

The Brotherhood said on Saturday it would not seek the presidency or a parliamentary majority in elections which Egypt's new military rulers have promised to hold.

The military council, which took over from Mubarak on Friday, has said it plans to transfer power to civilians and establish democratic rule. The council has said it will govern temporarily until elections are held.

The United States has expressed concern about what it has called the Brotherhood's "anti-American rhetoric", but stopped short of saying it would be against the group taking a role in a future government.
    -Arab League's Amr Moussa to run for Egypt's president
    Hidden:
    CAIRO, Feb. 14 (Xinhua) -- Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa said Monday he intends to nominate himself in Egypt's coming presidential elections, Al Arabia TV reported.

Moussa said he will devote the coming months to his presidential campaign after leaving his post in the Arab League in March. According to Al Arabia TV, he has prepared a campaign plan focusing on the principles of law, democracy and human rights.

Moussa hailed on Friday the Egyptian revolution in which President Hosni Mubarak stepped down as protests hit the country for more than two weeks.

Moussa said earlier that it was too early to talk about the presidential elections. "As an Egyptian citizen, I've the honor to serve my country in any post and it is time help in forming a consensus of opinions," he said.

-Riot police in Bahrain open fire at funeral march, second protester now dead

Goddamn, Bahrain is heating up.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...645551445.html

What the hell is the government thinking?? Firing at a funeral? They're asking for it.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

All they wanted was a bit of reform, now they'll go full revolution mode.

Great going.
    In ma on nel nonquiz in ma on nel nontlacat ah niquitohua yece. Yeehuaya! Tlen naiz anonohuaco tepilhuan? At teixco ninemi? Quen huel xon mimati. Aya Ohuaya ohuaya!

It's so dumb I almost suspect the cops were TRYING for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    It's so dumb I almost suspect the cops were TRYING for that.
    Maybe the cops are secretly revolutionaries?

PLOT TWIST

[YOUTUBE]srRWJzRhuzo&showinfo=0[/YOUTUBE]

Hmm, i'm afraid Bahrain is going to have to be suspended from the RLP membership for the time being (Rich Little Places).

Discovered Stowaway

[youtube]DEA11eZrL0Q[/youtube]

news summary - Bahrain iran egypt

Why... the heck would they fire at the protesters while they were holding a freakin' funeral service? 0.o What kind of crack are the policemen in Bahrain taking?!
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212
    Click-> <-Click
    ~Just leave the rest to us~

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Goddamn, Bahrain is heating up.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...645551445.html

What the hell is the government thinking?? Firing at a funeral? They're asking for it.
    WTF?
    This is the kind of shit you find in Mexico when cartel violence gets out of control.
    And Mubarak's a troll to the very end.
    "Oh, I'm going to die anyway, but I may as well take you down with me."
    It's times like these I wish I believed in a hell.

[youtube]l96wRjM4EEg[/youtube]

Awesome video :)
    The Egyptians were in the middle of praying the night prayer at Tahrir square when the news that Mubarak resigned came. Everyone else who wasn't praying started to celebrate, while the worshipers continued as though nothing happened. When they finished the prayer everyone else started to celebrate.
    This is a good display of the Egyptian unity. It is so nice seeing complete strangers standing side by side like that, praying to God in unity. Shouts of "AllahuAkbar!" filled the air, which translates to "God is the Greatest!"

Apparently the Bahrainian protests are rare in that there's reports of them neing non-secretarian. Sunnis are marching too.

Unfortunately Saudi Arabia has said they would intervene if things get "out of hand".

If Bahrain escalates to Egypt level protests, that tiny ass little nation is going to create potentially even bigger waves then Tunisia.

The Saudi's are starting to piss me off. They could really make a mess of everything.

Thread Information