Page 99 of 213 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 199 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 4257

Thread: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions

Default Re: Rock the Casbah: Arab-World Revolutions Watch Thread

Two thousand people...

Edit: So where all have the protesters taken control of?
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; February 23rd, 2011 at 04:20 PM.

Assad has been worried as far back as early 2000s about the US embargoes and falling petroleum income leading to his grip being weakened, he basically went to Erdogan in 06 I think and requested Turkey act as the middleman between a Syrian Israeli peace deal. Haaretz and another paper broke this story at the time which has been confirmed by the likes of the BBC. The double whammy, also confirmed through some leaked memos, is that part of the deal was Syria wanting to distance themselves from Tehran because Assad wants to cement his reputation (the sunni majority population don't hold Iran in high regard despite what the Baath says) as well as curry favour with the US with that move.

This is what those papers I mentioned before were worried about; another favourable dictator falls and a sizeable portion of their border will be under threat.

I don't understand one thing - Gaddafi has an army, mercenaries and heavy machinery and he's not afraid to use them. But he has problems containing the protest. So who's supplying the weapons to the protesters?

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by natli View Post
    I don't understand one thing - Gaddafi has an army, mercenaries and heavy machinery and he's not afraid to use them. But he has problems containing the protest. So who's supplying the weapons to the protesters?
    The Military army who choosed to Revolt against Gaddafi.

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Has a revolution ever occurred like this??

It's a roughly non-violent uprising, receiving INSANELY heavy violence in response that is dissolving the state through purely suffering through the attrocity, and is non-violently taking city after city like an army as military units defect one by one.

All that and it's WORKING.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

The first slight rumbles under Assad's feet...
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/baby...stigation.html
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

-Reports are coming in that Gaddafi forces are attacking Az Zawiyah city in north-west Libya, where thousands are currently demonstrating.
    An eyewitness phoned Al Jazeera, saying 50 injured people were taken to hospital in the city after the "Gaddafi Brigade" used anti-aircraft weapons in the assault. Several protesters were reportedly killed.
    - Egyptian workers fleeing Libya say anti-Gaddafi militia control the town of Zuara, 120km west of Tripoli, Reuters reports.

-Seven reported killed and 40 injured by "Gaddafi Brigade" in Az-Zawiyah

-Eyewitnesses confirm to Al Jazeera that demonstrators have taken control of Zuwarah city, 120km west of Tripoli

-AJE correspondent says Tripoli airport "still very firmly under the control of Gaddafi", w/ secret police patrolling

-CNN: Cameroonians plan anti-government protests
    Hidden:
    (CNN) -- Opposition groups in Cameroon are planning "Egypt-like" protests Wednesday to call for the president's ouster after almost three decades in power.
    President Paul Biya is running for re-election later this year.
    "People yearn to see a change in government. He's been in place for 28 years," said Kah Walla, 45, an opposition member who is also running for president.
    Walla, one of the main organizers, said protests are planned in Douala and the capital, Yaounde.
    "Our main reason is to ask for free and fair elections," she said. "We also have other demands ... Cameroon has a lot of resources yet our people are living in poverty."
    A spokesman for the prime minister was not available for comment and a man who answered the phone at the president's office declined to comment.
    Walla said the nation has been inspired by the recent uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt that led to the ouster of their longtime rulers. The protests have ignited a chain reaction that has spread to other countries, including Libya and Yemen.
    "We want to take charge of our destiny like the people in Egypt and Tunisia did," Walla said.
    The U.S. Embassy in the Cameroon capital urged its citizens to be careful.
    "As always, U.S. citizens should avoid all demonstrations, as even peaceful ones can quickly become unruly and a foreign national could stand out and become a target of harassment or worse," the embassy said in a statement Wednesday.
    In 2008, protesters took to the streets on the same day to protest food prices.
    Walla said they chose the date because it is "symbolic of the ongoing fight" in the west African nation.

Haha, damn. Maybe I've underestimated Sub-Saharan Africa. I hear there was some unrest in Gabon too.

Zimbabwe would be a spectacularly deserving revolution waiting to happened.

-Al Jazeera: Ahmad Gaddaf-al-Dem (the "expeller of blood") leaves Cairo to Damascus. Al Arabiya reports that Ahmad Gaddaf-al-Dem (personal envoy of Gaddafi) arrived in Cairo for consultations on Feb 21st.

-Al Jazeera: Brigadier Ali Huwaidi, Chief of Security in Benghazi resigns & joins the protesters. #Libya

-Al Jazeera: Major General Suleiman Mahmoud Suleiman, Commander of the Armed Forces in eastern Libya joins the anti-Gaddafi protesters #Libya
    ============

-Al Arabiya: Former military officer in Zawya: "A War crime is taking place right now" #Libya

-Saif Al Islam now on TV:
    Hidden:
    -"The world is conspiring against #Libya" "Nilesat has cut the signal of Libyan TV"

-"Why don't these TV channels show the pro-Gaddafi demonstrations?" "Tripoli is very calm except for one incident"

-"This is all silly talk of bombing cities. Tomorrow journalists from all over the world will come to see the truth"

-"Even from a military point of view, how do you bomb people?. Life is normal here, all life is normal here"

-"I challenge anyone to give me the numbers of those killed"

-"The conspiracy against Libya started with our Arab brothers"

-"I call upon Egypt to stay away from the conspiracy" "We will allow all journalists to enter

-Al Jazeera: Eyewitness in Zawya: More than 10 people were killed in the Gaddafi Battalions attack on the town.

-Al Jazeera now carrying live meeting of tribal leaders in Bayda city eastern #Libya in the presence of the resigned Minister of Justice.

-Resigned Justice Minister speaking live from Bayda: Gaddafi can do anything, including use biological weapons against his people.

-Resigned Libyan Justice Minister speaking live in Bayda: I call upon the world community to protect the Libyan people.

-Man holding up to TV camera sign that reads "Libya is one tribe" during tribal leaders meeting in Bayda now

-Al Arabiya: Tripoli is completely shut down & Gaddafi is now in Bab Al Azizia (the official residence/barracks in the capital)

-Al Arabiya: The International Criminal Court says that the President of Chad tried to send troops into #Libya to support Gaddafi

-Libyan State TV announces that Gaddafi will speak to the people of Zawya shortly
    Last edited by asm00200; February 24th, 2011 at 04:16 AM.

Jet Zebul Nail Punch !! Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    -Al Jazeera: Major General Suleiman Mahmoud Suleiman, Commander of the Armed Forces in eastern Libya joins the anti-Gaddafi protesters #Libya

-Eyewitnesses confirm to Al Jazeera that demonstrators have taken control of Zuwarah city, 120km west of Tripoli
    Damn, these sound like pretty good news !

Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post

-Saif Al Islam now on TV:
    Hidden:
    -"The world is conspiring against #Libya" "Nilesat has cut the signal of Libyan TV"

-"Why don't these TV channels show the pro-Gaddafi demonstrations?" "Tripoli is very calm except for one incident"

-"This is all silly talk of bombing cities. Tomorrow journalists from all over the world will come to see the truth"

-"Even from a military point of view, how do you bomb people?. Life is normal here, all life is normal here"

-"I challenge anyone to give me the numbers of those killed"

-"The conspiracy against Libya started with our Arab brothers"

-"I call upon Egypt to stay away from the conspiracy" "We will allow all journalists to enter
    Wow... That's just ridiculous. Conspiracy ? That's how he calls a fight for rights and freedom ?
    Last edited by Castelmore; February 24th, 2011 at 04:48 AM.

-Al Jazeera: the Gaddafi Battalion stormed Zawya at 9am this morning #Libya time & shot at demonstrators in Zawya Central Square

-Al Jazeera now speaking to resigned Libyan Justice Minister
    Hidden:
    -"No negotiations, the only solution is for Gadafi & his sons to leave"

-"Gaddafi tried to send a delegation to negotiate with us but we refused"

-"I am extremely worried about what will happen to the people in Tripoli"

-"Gaddafi's armored vehicles are roaming the streets & shooting at everyone"

-"If Tripoli is liberated then all of Libya becomes liberated"

-"I call upon the African tribal leaders to take a strong stand to the events"

-"I call upon the people of Tripoli to continue to stand against Gaddafi"

-Al Jazeera: Reuters: Security Battalions attack town of Misurata & reports of deaths (210km/125 miles to the east of Tripoli) #Libya

-Al Jazeera: Reuters: Anti-Gaddafi protesters regain control of central Misurata

-Al Jazeera: Reuters: Eyewitnesses: Heavy military vehicle presence in town of Zawiya. (Where Gaddafi is said to address the people)

-Al Arabiya: Reuters: Eyewitnesses: Protesters are trying to regain control over Misurata airport

-Al Jazeera: Sources in Zawiya: members of the Libyan army join the protesters in Zawiya & give them access to weapons.

-Al Jazeera: Eyewitness: 30,000 protesters now in Zawiya & mercenaries are gathering 7km away from the town.

[youtube]UNEy_szRYEs&sns[/youtube]

Discovered Stowaway

Gaddafi is saying that AlQaeda (!?!?)is the one who got millions of Libyans in the streets by providing them with hallucination pills. He also blames what is happening to him as an “evil eye” (عين وحسد).

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    Gaddafi is saying that AlQaeda (!?!?)is the one who got millions of Libyans in the streets by providing them with hallucination pills. He also blames what is happening to him as an “evil eye” (عين وحسد).
    Hmm.

I supose the buildings blew themselves up as an act of sabotage ?

He's grasping at straws now.

President of America Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

This just in Gaddafi kicked out of Evil Sorceror's Union.

Also why can't the media agree on how to spell his name.

I mean what do you expect from a president talking, supposedly to the people, through the phone.

He basically said the same thing he said the other night.

I think in Arabic it's written Gddafi so that first vowel wouldn't be known unless you know Arabic.

It's Gadhafi in arabic, but Gaddafi in english.

Yeah.. I think.

-"Even from a military point of view, how do you bomb people?.
    Durrrrrrr I no know?????
    Hi MF

Thread Information