+ Reply to Thread
Page 193 of 195 FirstFirst ... 93 143 183 191 192 193 194 195 LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 3882

Thread: Attack on Titan

Default Re: Attack on Titan

It's started with flying swordsman killing giants and vore and now it's "Just Kidding! Everything was all a lie created by a powerful empire and now we are on WWIII with a lot of political struggles about what is right and what is wrong."

Spoiler:

That´s a rather simplistic and plain wrong statement since the author, both in-verse and in real life, never made it a secret that there was much more to the situation, heck the first chapter featured Eren talking about 2000 years ago.

But i do not think that was the intent of the guy who wrote it, since he is not faulting what happens but rather sees a huge deviation in his evaluation of the series in 2012 and now, and i asked how the appeal has changed for him.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It's started with flying swordsman killing giants and vore and now it's "Just Kidding! Everything was all a lie created by a powerful empire and now we are on WWIII with a lot of political struggles about what is right and what is wrong."
    That surprised you? There was always the hint of a knowledge of larger world deliberately hidden from the wall people right from the start (Armin's secret book ). Whoever created it and why were beyond the scope of a reader's guess at the beginning, but Ishiyama didn't hide the existence of outside intervention once Annie's secret was revealed. If we assume the manga will end between 120-130 chapters, then it would be roughly at one third point of the story. So,i can't see why the recent build-up has to be considered sudden. He has been revealing the structures of the outside world at pretty consistent rate now.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Oh I'm not complaining
    I'm just saying that no one could possibly imagine that we would go full-scale politics and psychological warfare when we first started reading this.
    Also, the author is not the most perfect but he does what he can with what he wrote. It's almost certain that he did not plan everything.
    it was a necessary to expand on the world but the way he is doing it is far from what was the initial premise of the story. We know that humans can be shit and the whole thing is one big propaganda but instead of shoving the big picture aside, dude goes and expand on it in a way that doesn't piss people off.
    That, I enjoy.
    What I dislike where this is going and how we reached this point could be done better is all another story.
    If it's not obvious, I'm almost sure that the author, while writing AoT, picked up and was influenced by other works. Not a bad thing but I feel like sometimes he need to take a step back and remember the core of the setting to enhance the plot.
    I...have no idea if what I said make sense so yeah.

Also no, his exposition wasn't consistent at all.
    It was a massive info dump at times.

Ew. I do not like the new opening theme song.

I was taken aback at first, but I think this vibe actually fits the Uprising arc pretty nicely. It's a much more reflective arc that contains a lot of looking back at the past.

I liked the episode itself just breezing through stuff. This was pretty frustrating to sit through monthly. It wasn't rushed and built up tension to the confrontation really well.

The opening is going for a family theme, emphasizing the bond between parent and child. It's a nice concept. Personally I believe it doesn't suit AoT though.

That being said, totally enjoyed the first episode. Levi v Kenny will be magnificent to say the least~

I think there's a little too much Eren, Mikasa and Armin in the opening but I do like what their going for.

https://imgur.com/a/50l7avw
    Sorry Gabi, you gotta be at least three levels into a conspiracy to be relevant in this manga.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/50l7avw
    Sorry Gabi, you gotta be at least three levels into a conspiracy to be relevant in this manga.
    Wish Sasha got the memo :(

She will be forever the potato in our hearts.

Not sure how I like how the series has seemed to turn from fighting titans to conspiracy and more conspiracy.

I think in some ways it's much better because the core goal and themes still exist, just with more moral complexity, but if Titan action is what you (general you, not addressing anyone) like the series for, maybe it's not gonna be as appealing.

Last arc we even had a giant battle with the Titans and I thought it was cool as hell. It's just not so action-centric as the first few arcs (and that has been the case for like 50 chapters now, with maybe the exception of the Shiganshina arc, which was basically just a big action scene).

I think the story is gonna end with the upcoming battle between the walls and Marley and the final arc is probably gonna be all action. The plot just has to be set up to get there.

I don't need Titan fighting 100% of the time, I guess I just don't like it when a series gets too political.

Truth be told, it was a huge conspiracy from the beggining, and the titans just the tools for Marley to subjugate the Eldians.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I don't need Titan fighting 100% of the time, I guess I just don't like it when a series gets too political.
    Yeah, I've seen a bunch of people not actually like the story since Uprising arc at all because they felt it was just boring/uninteresting.

AoT just seems my thing no matter what, I guess.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; August 9th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    Truth be told, it was a huge conspiracy from the beggining, and the titans just the tools for Marley to subjugate the Eldians.
    My problem is not the endless myriad of conspiracies, or else I would not be a huge Xfiles fan, the issue is that the characters that we learned to care about are often not or only tangentially involved onto them.
    Let's see if I can recall them all:
    1st: The Great Eldian-Marleyan Conspiracy: started by King Karl Fritz and the Marley Government. No MCs participant.
    2nd:The Eldian Restoriation Movement: Involving Grisha and Zeke. No MCs participant, Zeke only became relevant after the recovery of Grisha's journal.
    3rd:The Hiding of Historia: Orchestrated by her father Rod Reiss. Secondary Character is a victim of it.
    4th:The Warriors Infiltration: Secondary Characters are the moving force of it.
    5th:The Coup against the false King: MCs are the moving force of it
    6th:The Eren-Zeke Agreement: MCs participant.
    7th:The Rouge Marleyans working in Paradis:No MCs participant.
    8th:The Nameless Bureaucrats plot against Historia: No MCs participant.

Only half the time the characters we care are involved into it, and I'm being generous on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    My problem is not the endless myriad of conspiracies, or else I would not be a huge Xfiles fan, the issue is that the characters that we learned to care about are often not or only tangentially involved onto them.
    Let's see if I can recall them all:
    1st: The Great Eldian-Marleyan Conspiracy: started by King Karl Fritz and the Marley Government. No MCs participant.
    2nd:The Eldian Restoriation Movement: Involving Grisha and Zeke. No MCs participant, Zeke only became relevant after the recovery of Grisha's journal.
    3rd:The Hiding of Historia: Orchestrated by her father Rod Reiss. Secondary Character is a victim of it.
    4th:The Warriors Infiltration: Secondary Characters are the moving force of it.
    5th:The Coup against the false King: MCs are the moving force of it
    6th:The Eren-Zeke Agreement: MCs participant.
    7th:The Rouge Marleyans working in Paradis:No MCs participant.
    8th:The Nameless Bureaucrats plot against Historia: No MCs participant.

Only half the time the characters we care are involved into it, and I'm being generous on it.
    This is probably the thing that's the kicker.

How is Historia not involved in a plot involving Historia? (I'm joking)

We had nothing but the main cast last few chapters so I personally don't get that. It's all important stuff that needs to happen for all the characters to survive the next battles.

There's Eren's intentions, and he's probably the biggest influencer of how this will go down considering he is the one who actually control the power. Zeke can't do anything without him.
    Levi's squad doubting him and him potentially not being reliable anymore is a pretty freaking huge deal.

The volunteers are actually just there as another side influence. This chapter made me pretty freaking sure the pregnancy is faked to actually spare Historia and then bet it all on the final battle in 6 months instead.

It was made clear Historia had a choice in this and she wouldn't put any child or person through the stuff she went through. The fact that the characters in the story question it to such extent and we haven't actually seen any thoughts from directly Historia, either is what makes me suspicious. I really get the feeling the pregnancy is a diversion to not sacrifice Historia just yet and they know that Marley will be attacking pretty soon. They straight-up say the pregnancy could kill her, too. I think it's a big ruse to divert attention away from her because if she died of childbirth, the Titan couldn't be passed at all. A story wouldn't put all these possibilities on the table if something wasn't up.

Yelena and the volunteers just want Zeke alive. That's it and a coverstory would have the same effect as the real thing.

With all the different fractions it might seem complicated, but Eren, Zeke and Historia are the center right now. But that's just my perspective of the whole thing.

At the same time, I do think a bunch of time was spent setting up the stuff happening to the main characters. The Marley arc in particular introduced a lot of new characters and personally I did grow to care for them, but I can also understand if people didn't. It's all setup that I think needed to happen. But that doesn't mean everyone is grabbed by it.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; August 9th, 2018 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    Quoth Kizuchan
    I understand that we are in set-up chapters, just like the time-skip to the Marleyan war were a set-up for the Eren attack. My peeve is that half the times the main characters seem to lack agency, they are not integral parts of the schemes but pawns in it.
    Is good for a world building that the main characters are not the sole reason the world turns around, but having to many nameless characters plotting in the shadows also alienates the audience. We know that Eren was against into involving Historia into the Titan shifting business, would be bad to include half-a-page or a page of conversation between the two to set up this conspiracy?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information