+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 203 FirstFirst ... 101 151 191 199 200 201 202 203 LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 4047

Thread: Attack on Titan

Default Re: Attack on Titan

There is a reading of the story that the eldians aren't a Jewish proxy, but a Japanese one. A great nation with a strong potential, wrongfully contained to an island after fabricated misdeeds of the past. And now the villains main goals is to make their youth incapable of breeding. If I that don't care about nationalism can see that reading, then someone who is actually looking for this kind of message will to.

I dunno, maybe the eldians have more Jewish codifiers that those I can see.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Ah, so it's just a reading, not Isayama saying anything awful again?

That's the only thing I've seen on this topic, too, but I feel like the Star of David-like symbol on the armbands kind of is as blatant as you can get. It's not very subtle about that. Hizuru is the Japan of the AoT world - portrayed as greedy, but having to be so for the sake of survival. Which is another convo to have.

All of this is my interpretation, of course. Discussing social issues is tough to me because I feel like there is a factual element to them (like how race and gender works according to existing knowledge, research and science), while most other discussion is subjective and depends almost entirely on interpretation.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; February 12th, 2019 at 01:27 AM.

Maybe (maybe?!) there is also a reading where the Eldians are Japanese, and the ones who don't live on the island are modeled after how Japanese-Americans had to live during/after the war. Not Jewish-level racism, but you can't deny it when you put all of them in camps.

The imagery is a little too specific for me for it to be anything else but a Jewish parallel and the second comparison down the list for me would be the Middle East because Paradis is being attacked for it's resources.

Hell, you could even see it as an actual German parallel. Germany had an empire in the past and the story has a Germany-inspired setting.

Still, it's very specific to how the Jewish people were treated - they're even basically human test subjects.

Why are people saying that Levi is out? Did I miss something in the chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kizuchan View Post
    The imagery is a little too specific for me for it to be anything else but a Jewish parallel and the second comparison down the list for me would be the Middle East because Paradis is being attacked for it's resources.

Hell, you could even see it as an actual German parallel. Germany had an empire in the past and the story has a Germany-inspired setting.

Still, it's very specific to how the Jewish people were treated - they're even basically human test subjects.
    It may be a reference or allegory but depicting the suffering of others doesnt mean advocating for it in story at least. Oda isnt racist because fishmen are mistreated and some people see them as a allegory to the african americans
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by SirCaesar View Post
    Why are people saying that Levi is out? Did I miss something in the chapter?
    That's what I'm wondering. He got blown away, but I didn't see anything that said "death".

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    That's what I'm wondering. He got blown away, but I didn't see anything that said "death".
    Well, he doesn't have to die to be "out"

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    To me it looks like he activated the 3D gear and escaped the explosion

Levi's definitely alive but it looked like he's lost a part of his body-- arm, leg, you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    It may be a reference or allegory but depicting the suffering of others doesnt mean advocating for it in story at least. Oda isnt racist because fishmen are mistreated and some people see them as a allegory to the african americans
    Yes, this is what I'm saying, too, but I was talking about the Jewish similarity here and how I think the story is mainly going for that and not other nations/races.

OP actually has the same problem as AoT and many other stories that have fantasy racism in them: it makes the races different beyond just appearance - the fishmen are physically stronger and the Eldians can turn into giant monsters. Arlong even uses it as a justification for wanting the fishmen's superiority. So the whole allegory has this questionable part to it.

In a general sense, they're clearly not supporting the racism, which I think a lot of people read falsely about AoT. Isayama said those terrible things, but his story still portrays it (the racism) negatively.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; February 14th, 2019 at 06:42 AM.

Spoilers are out:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    It hurts.............
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Spoilers for unreleased chapter.

Spoiler:
    I don't want to sound overdramatic, but I think I'm kinda done. Don't know what the actual contents of the chapter are so I could be jumping the gun, but with Levi dying I just can't really be arsed reading anymore. Which is something I didn't think I'd be saying with this particular fictional character.
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monkey D. View Post
    Spoilers are out:
    Spoiler:
    My Hanjiship just got sunken.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    reddit posts about the spoilers are saying not dead soo ... stay tuned?

https://mangadex.org/chapter/555854
    All hell breaks loose.
    Dead or not still unknown, but a hand short for sure.

Okay people, is extermination really what you want? How fucked up things can get.

Naa, there is more to it. Eren still hiding his hands. I think he needs Zeke because he doesn't want to straightforwardly 'sacrifice' Historia for his plan. Eren has access to far more infos because of his founding titan power. He has 'grander' scheme.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information