+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tim Schafer gets a point & click funded via kickstarter in eight hours

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Default Tim Schafer gets a point & click funded via kickstarter in eight hours

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure

It's pretty awesome to see the interest for these games is still there (obviously it helps that it was the two biggest names in the history of the genre asking).
    Can't wait to play this.

Default Re: Tim Schafer gets a point & click funded via kickstarter in eight hours

O_O Wow, they doubled their expected goal that quickly?!

Default Re: Tim Schafer gets a point & click funded via kickstarter in eight hours

DAM*! 1 million in under 24 hours!? You'll think any new companies would try something like this? Of course, this is probably something that only companies like Double Fine could do since they have a very loyal fanbase.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    DAM*! 1 million in under 24 hours!? You'll think any new companies would try something like this? Of course, this is probably something that only companies like Double Fine could do since they have a very loyal fanbase.
    Nobody would donate (or very few people would) if say Ubisoft or EA did this because there are a lot of people that despise them for their business practices and mediochre games. Tim Schafer is very trusted and point and clicks are rare nowadays so that's most likely the reason.

Yeah, and Ron Gilbert's working at DF as well now, so it's also the guy who invented GUI point & clicks asking!

Since it's now sailed well over one million dollars, it's also the most successful kickstarter project ever - hopefully this will lead to a bit of free press for the game.

When I first heard of this I had to check the calender.

I am looking forward to this even harder than to Pendulo's next game.

While I think this will produce a good game, and I look forward to it, and this sort of this is great for developers, I can't help but think this would be a bad precedent to set for consumers.

I mean, people are essentially pre-ordering before seeing a single thing about the game. I get that Tim Schafer seems like a trustworthy guy, but I'm just saying that I don't want this to become the model for all future indie games. I don't want to have to throw a million bucks at someone who says "trust me I have a good idea" if I want to see any indie content.

but here's probably nothing to worry about, and I'm just being randomly paranoid...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    While I think this will produce a good game, and I look forward to it, and this sort of this is great for developers, I can't help but think this would be a bad precedent to set for consumers.

I mean, people are essentially pre-ordering before seeing a single thing about the game. I get that Tim Schafer seems like a trustworthy guy, but I'm just saying that I don't want this to become the model for all future indie games. I don't want to have to throw a million bucks at someone who says "trust me I have a good idea" if I want to see any indie content.

but here's probably nothing to worry about, and I'm just being randomly paranoid...
    Pretty much.

The whole point is that Schafer is trustworthy as he's been one of the biggest names in the business for twenty years, he's not some fly-by-night geezer.
    You shouldn't be taking away from this "new indie model" it's not as if there's a lot of people who are going to reach in their wallet for a guy nobody's heard of before, this is more exciting for where known talented developers want to make a game but publishers won't green light it.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

They've made so much they're doing drm free versions!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure

Well, I figured with my ME3 CE cancelled, I'd throw in an extra 20 bucks, and invest in this game(Any more reward tiers are way too much for me.) Anyway, 21 hours are left for those who still want to invest before it's all finished.

They just reached 3 million dollars. I suspect they'll end up with about eight times what they asked for - hopefully enough to make a Day of the Tentacle level P&C game.

I don't think I'll take part in the steam betas though, it'll ruin the surprise!

3 millon was about the budget for Grim Fandango, so take that as you will.

Well, with inflation it's probably more like four these days.

Although hopefully HD 2D art is cheaper then creating a 3D engine from scratch as I think they had to do with Grim, which must have consumed a fair amount of the budget.

To further put things in perspective, Costume Quest, Stacking and Trenched each cost about two million. Granted that some of the money is already going towards translations and other platforms, they've still got a fine bit leftover to add some complexity to the game.

The kickstarter is officially closed, capping off at $3,400,000.

We just reported that Tim Schafer’s Kickstarter campaign ends tomorrow, and that’s he’s raised over 2.8 billion dollars. Here is documented proof of what he’s doing with your donation money:
    I'm not sure what joke to make.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information