• Blues

8 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Genre You HATE

A real rain will come... Rank: Failed Mutineer JERK DISEASE's Avatar

Default The Music Genre You HATE

I've recently leaped from the ramparts of the highest towers of the fortress of Hip-Hop, over the city walls, and gone a long journey through the wide open deep plains of Rock and it's many many sub-genres.

It's been an amazing experience broadening my tastes and watching huge prejudices I had evaporate once I let my mind remain as open as my ears. I respect things I never thought i would.

And seemingly strangest of all is that I now know when I return to my house in Hip-Hop city that I will appreciate and enjoy Hip-Hop even more now.
    And I'm getting a summer home in the rock plains for sure now.

Confronting my preconceptions has made me really wonder at why people when it comes music almost more then any other art form....put up huge walls between them and other genres and act so hateful and disrespectful toward other genres and sub-genres. Why they refuse to really go out and explore and instead dig into their trenches.

So be honest and answer the poll regardless of whether you know your feelings are irrational or unfair. Just answer honestly.

Don't answer if you don't honestly hate any of the poll options please.

So then discuss why you may feel as you do, and why you might contrast it with the ones you like most.

And some of the rest of us can explain why we feel the worth in the genres others shun.

Unusual for me....let's keep this civil as possible. I don't like getting pissy about music (unless someone else brings the pissy first). The only exception will be Nerdcore, which will get all the abuse it deserves and more.

Let's use this to just think about it and share thoughts.
    Last edited by JERK DISEASE; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

The Devil's best friend.

Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

Metal.....Is it wrong to like Hip hop over that?

I went with country, but more specifically, I should say Bluegrass.
    Country in general I am not a fan of, but I can tolerate listening to it.
    Bluegrass, however, I absolutely cannot stand.
    I'm not so sure why this is, my grandparents love it, and whenever I was at their house it was always playing, so I should like it due to all the exposure I had to it, but for some reason I just can't listen to it.

is Stolen

Metal.

I can listen to and love everything else on that list. I'm a big Funk, Electronic, Jazz (esp Latin Jazz) and Soul fan, I've come to appreciate that Pop and Country have their virtues and can even be awesome. I actually love a wide genre of music and can accept those that I don't. I love the idea and roots and heart of Hip Hop, but have a lot of issues with Gangster Rap - specifically thematically... but the shit that has heart? Yeah, I can dig it.

But metal.

I can only appreciate it ironically. It just doesn't resonate with me on any level, not even primally.

And many of my friends LOVE it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

You make good points, I've realized that people are especially hateful when it comes to music, and they really do put up their own barriers to enjoying more genres. It's a sad thing to see, but I'm certainly guilty of it myself.

For me, the genres I can't get into are country and metal. Now with country it's the most popular kind of country that I don't really care for. I can actually enjoy bluegrass. With metal, it's the screaming vocals that turn me off. I like the instrumental parts, but once there's screaming I start thinking "How could anybody like this". I know there's metal without the screaming, but I haven't delved much into it.

There's also rap. It's a genre I just don't listen to. I used to be a hater, but now I just say "I don't listen to it" and leave it at that. I'll even defend rap from the people who say it isn't music.

It's hard for me to vote because I don't "hate" the genres I don't listen to. I don't want to look at it that way anymore.

aborted shit wizard GuetaMinute's Avatar

I love metal without the screaming. I used to be a big death metal fan till one day I realized it was some really awful and just plain bad shit.

Pretty much the only genre I don't really like is country. I don't hate it, though. I love rap, hiphop, rock, jazz, classical (not love, but I like it), funk, soul, pop, blues, electronic, techno, folk, etc.

What I truly can't stand is shitty mainstream rap and pop.
    This was a stupid sig anyway

I can find examples of something I like in just about every genre of music I know of, except ska.

I can not fucking stand ska.

Even something like Kamen Rider OOO's opening theme, which isn't totally ska, is actually decently sung, and is catchy as fuck, I still fucking hate because it's just ska enough to gnaw at my soul.
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

for when the magic's gone Tragic_johnson's Avatar

I used to be the biggest hip hop fan and nerd at the beginning of this decade, but now I cant stand one note from any of the music in the genre.

Metal is really the only genre I feel that strongly toward anymore. I even used to feel hateful of Prog rock when I was dumb and didn't really understand what a simple fun appeal it had (as opposed to the joyless pretention I assumed of it). Now I'm lovin' Gabriel era Genesis and ....I....I. loved Tarkus!!! The ELP album! God help me I never imagined I would but I did!!!

But Metal.....mmmmm....Metal.
    See I can dig stuff like Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and some Metallica. I like Metal that still has melody, so I guess Power Metal and stuff like Dream Theater I respect.

But stuff like Death Metal? Black Metal?
    The stuff that becomes pretty much just sludgey noise with screaming and grunting indecipherable vocals?

I...just cannot whatsoever see the actual musical appeal in that.
    I see the appeal of why people would like the mood and imagery (much of which...I just find hopelessly corny). But not the pure music.

And I feel kind of hypocritical since I'm a massive Hip-Hop fan, and I know well the hugely unfair condescenion that Metal fans deal with, so I feel like...I'm wrong to feel this way. But I don't know.

This? This is stuff I get, even LIKE. This kind of Metal.
    Spoiler:
    [youtube]ysGdhiyjMNg[/youtube]

But this...this I absolutely cannot see how it's possible to musically enjoy something like this. And not because of any kind of being offended, but god help me, above all else because...
    Spoiler:
    [youtube]GOQuX7pCiPo[/youtube]

..because it's like a huge joke! This has got to be a joke! The singing I mean. it's certainly making me laugh....it's just you're kidding me right?

Wagomu help!
    Last edited by JERK DISEASE; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_johnson View Post
    I used to be the biggest hip hop fan and nerd at the beginning of this decade, but now I cant stand one note from any of the music in the genre.
    Let me try you again.

Spoiler:
    [youtube]H4koo2orCEk[/youtube]

Even the huge world of instrumental hip-hop?
    [youtube]oTWP1qf9mNk[/youtube]

I just wanted to see how many would pick Hip-hop.

I like almost all the music genres, save electronic, because for some reason I just don't like the repetitive musics and it gives me headache.

And about that, someone can say I'm talking bullshit, because for being a great metal fan (A genre full of shouts and loud noises, even if it's the old bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath), this someone can just say I'm not in the position to complain about electronic being something to give headaches. But I have some exceptions in this genre, like Kraftwerk.

The only genres that surpasses my love for metal is rock and classical music.

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    See I can dig stuff like Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and some Metallica. I like Metal that still has melody, so I guess Power Metal and stuff like Dream Theater I respect.

The stuff that becomes pretty much just sludgey noise with screaming and grunting indecipherable vocals?

I see the appeal of why people would like the mood and imagery (much of which...I just find hopelessly corny). But not the pure music.

And I feel kind of hypocritical since I'm a massive Hip-Hop fan, and I know well the hugely unfair condescenion that Metal fans deal with, so I feel like...I'm wrong to feel this way. But I don't know.

[YOUTUBE]ysGdhiyjMNg[/YOUTUBE]

But this...this I absolutely cannot see how it's possible to musically enjoy something like this. And not because of any kind of being offended, but god help me, above all else because...
    [YOUTUBE]GOQuX7pCiPo[/YOUTUBE]

..because it's like a huge joke! This has got to be a joke! The singing I mean. it's certainly making me laugh....it's just you're kidding me right?

I dunno, I love the crazy guitar playing in a lot of the heavier metal stuff.
    But the roaring... yeah, I don't really understand that either.

But as for that Cryptopsy song... it's just fucking bad. That's like low-end.
    Funny as shit, though.
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

I am not sure what kind of genre it is but that sucks hard.

[youtube]v0BmJIvPh_c[/youtube]

Damn the parody rules.

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Metal is really the only genre I feel that strongly toward anymore. I even used to feel hateful of Prog rock when I was dumb and didn't really understand what a simple fun appeal it had (as opposed to the joyless pretention I assumed of it). Now I'm lovin' Gabriel era Genesis and ....I....I. loved Tarkus!!! The ELP album! God help me I never imagined I would but I did!!!

[youtube]ysGdhiyjMNg[/youtube]

[youtube]GOQuX7pCiPo[/youtube]

Wagomu help!
    I understand what you say...I don't like current metal bands, they are all shouts and no melody...It's not like old good bands of metal like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, I venture even Judas Priest. These bands possess good lyrics and melody. Because of these old bands that I like metal, but current bands are a pile of stinking shit.

I also feel kind of hypocritical about hating harder Metal because I'm a huge fan of Post-Punk. Which is often just as dark and atonal as Metal. But something about it is just very different from Metal for me.

I mean here's some of the stuff I like and can see other people reacting to just like I react to hard Metal.
    Spoiler:

[youtube]yk25WhBYLmQ[/youtube]

[youtube]MEFMCp0trEQ[/youtube]

[youtube]dhNmptnmCNw[/youtube]

[youtube]p6Vvlk7UbEo[/youtube]

(yes I love the year of 1979, why do you ask)

Thank you Jerk for listing Dream Theater. Mike Portnoy is one of my all time favorite drummers.

I'm not the biggest fan of metal (I'll take it without the screaming, thank you) but I do love Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.

Also, Tool. I freakin love them. They're one of my favorite bands. If not my absolute favorite.
    Their songs just prove how much every member of that band is an actual musician.

I can't stand the black and death metal stuff, I'm with ya on that JD
    But I really really do love some of the tamer stuff, like the Scorpions or Judas Priest, so I can't vote for it on the poll

I also don't particularly like modern country, but again I like the older stuff so not vote there either.
    Happy Bastille Day!

I don't care for hip hop, but my dislike of country is probably greater simply because of where I live.

Johnny Cash said it best:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hmm, perhaps I shouldn't have voted, because I don't think I truly hate any of the music genres posted, including country, which I voted for.

Well...unless...does country include that backwoods redneck banjo music? And no, I don't care how vulgar or ignorant or stereotyped that sounds (or that I'm not even sure of the proper name for it) I friggin' hate it with a passion. So yeah, if that falls under country, then so be it.

Metal? Well, I do like a fair number of songs by Metallica, and maybe a few songs by some other bands, but I'm not an avid listener. And no, I don't like it at all when they just scream and make noise. I'd appreciate if they used a little bit of class and structure.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information