+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: D.U.R.I.A.N.

Default Re: D.U.R.I.A.N.

Aack! The suspense!

Can I bet money on the lower left one? It looks deliciousvious.
    Death comes for us all. We can only chose how to face it when it comes. - Aviendha

You're teasing me with the durians I'll never have!!

honk honk<-foxes say this Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

[Gekkorp Tower Battles
    Floor 2: Bobjr vs. 9 opponents. Bobjr advances!
    Floor 4: KiShiDo vs. Smudge. KiShiDo advances!
    Floor 5: Marimo vs. Kylor vs. Eerie vs. JC. Eerie and JC advance!

Floor 7: Ultra Parrot vs. Wooden vs. Gueta vs. SnoCone vs. 16 opponents. Ultra Parrot, Wooden, Gueta, and SnoCone advance!
    Floor 8: Death by Foxy vs. Iron Ventriloquist vs. Avalanche vs. Darkstorm. Iron Ventriloquist, Avalanche, and Darkstorm advance!

Floor 11: Mrs. Iceburg vs. Herodadotus. Mrs. Iceburg advances!
    Floor 12: Rose Garden vs. RBoar vs. Vorlianis. Rose Garden and Vorlianis advance!
    Floor 38: Avalanche vs. Rose Garden vs. SnoCone vs. Vorlianis. 2 winners possible.
    Floor 51: Iron Ventriloquist vs. Mrs. Iceburg vs. Wooden vs. Eerie. 2 winners possible.
    Floor 65: Ultra Parrot vs. JC vs. 30 opponents. 2 winners possible.

[Scene 1: Gekkorp Tower, Floor 38]

Avalanche stood silent, which puzzled the confused Rose Garden.

"Whatever the case may be," Rose sighed, brandishing her whip. "There are only two elevators going up, and they've got our names on 'em!"

"Hey, come on now, Rosie," Vorlianis grinned. "We were gonna be gentle, you know."

"This won't hurt," SnoCone cackled as he emitted a slushy substance. "Much."

[Episode 2x08: They Way You Durian the Things You Durian]

[Scene 2: Gekkorp Tower, Top Floor]

"Who are those two?" Gekko asked about SnoCone and Vorlianis. "I don't understand their agenda."

"Neither do I," Dervish purred. "I think they have... connections."

"Is that so?" Gekko sighed. "Still, I wonder what they have up their sleeves..."

[Scene 3: Gekkorp Tower, Floor 51]

"Ohohohohoho," Mrs. Iceburg laughed, removing one of her furs. "This is going to be interesting."

"I'll take Chef Pinocchio over there," Wooden nodded towards Ventie.

"Fine by me," Mrs. Iceburg laughed. "Come on, babies, it's time to look alive!"

Most of Mrs. Iceburg's furs came to life as a literal zoo of creatures sprung to her side.

"What the hell?" Eerie groaned as the stampede of foxes, raccoons, lions, tigers, bears, and somehow dragons took up arms against him.

"Damn, yo!" Ventie shouted before taking a kick to the face.

"I'm your opponent," Wooden went for another kick, which Ventie blocked.

"It's gonna take a lot more than that to take me out, yo!" Ventie roared, brandishing his frying pan. "But those kicks of yours are mad, check it!"

Back with Eerie and Mrs. Iceburg, Eerie raised his shortsword and smirked.

"Finally, somebody's going to give me a challenge."

[Scene 4: Gekkorp Tower, Floor 65]

How did this happen? Ultra Parrot thought to himself as he lie on the ground, unable to move.

"You messed with the wrong guy, birdie," JC grumbled, raising his fist to attack again. "Orders may be orders, but I don't take disrespect lightly. And birdie's about to learn a very valuable lesson."

[Eerie and JC... What kind of agendas do they have? And what kind of unimaginable powers to they possess? The answers to all of these questions and possibly more will come on the next exciting installment of D.U.R.I.A.N.'s Creek!]

Cocky Curry Turtle~ Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

*Dances the dance of YAY!*

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post

OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDD

Don't mind me, I'M JUST COMPLETELY LOSING MY SHIT RIGHT NOW. I'm literally screaming under my breath AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT KITSUNE.
    Last edited by piratemarimo; June 1st, 2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: can't.... breathe......

Quote Originally Posted by piratemarimo View Post
    OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDD

Don't mind me, I'M JUST COMPLETELY LOSING MY SHIT RIGHT NOW. I'm literally screaming under my breath AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT KITSUNE.

Last edited by piratemarimo; June 1st, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: ..................

I'll get all Belmont with that whip I bet.

Or trip and fall and lose.

Either or really

in my own defense for being completely insane.... I was doing something else too. This is a prime example of why I shouldn't watch tv shows and try to blog at the same time.
    Last edited by piratemarimo; June 1st, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: I'm just going to go get myself some ice cream and try to calm down (or just call it a night)

Okay..... got my ice cream... few deep breaths...

that was just completely left field. somehow that was the last thing I ever expected to see. Combine that with being hyper and delirious from lack of proper sleep and you get temporary insanity, and then the smallest little thing sets you off. Or I just have serious problems. Whichever.
    Last edited by piratemarimo; June 1st, 2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: i think I need to seriously sleep now. I feel like my brain has melted

Oh. I though maybe there was some obscure reference there I missed.

Time for a rant. This was originally part of a review for the Monthly, but it quickly went off-topic, and it's actually relevant to why there's not as much D.U.R.I.A.N. as there used to be:

Spoiler:
    So, I think I've mentioned this before, but it's best to say it here, because it pertains to DURIAN as well as others of its kind:

My biggest beef with memberfiction is the fact that nobody ever writes them properly. We've seen tons of them here on AP, but most of them are, well, doomed from the start. Yes, I write D.U.R.I.A.N.. D.U.R.I.A.N. is the worst offender.

The first problem with memberfiction is the fact that, from the start, you are expected to include anyone and everyone as quickly as possible. Never mind proper setup, everybody just wants to see themselves make a cameo. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, except, well, one thing:

The second problem with memberfiction is that everybody just wants to see themselves appear. This is an overgeneralization, yes, but quite often, people will instantly invest themselves to the character associated with them because...

The third problem is that we as authors and readers are naturally inclined to think of our characters as the members themselves, not characters in a fictional universe. This. Right. Here. Is my biggest beef with this. And ultimately why memberfiction is such a difficult medium to write, and to enjoy.

Our characters don't need to be developed because everyone expects the character to embody the user perfectly. Or to act along a set pattern of behaviors. We expect people like Gekko to have a villainous wall street shark personality or for Sai-chan to be sweet and innocent (though this image has no doubt been corrupted ), so there's less incentive to give a character depth in the writing because it's all implied.

That's fine and great, but we're forgetting that these are supposed to be caricatures based loosely on the personalities of members, not the perfect embodiment of these members. We need to make these characters endure conflict, we need to nurture them, and develop them, and ultimately make them compelling. In my experience, it's easy to give layers to your character because you know you can lampoon yourself without backlash. But how do you give negative traits to people you're writing about because you like them? You just do it, but then suddenly the member associated with that character is put off.

I don't want to name names, but someone, someone I am very well acquainted with and have nothing but respect for, who I am still on only the best terms with, sent me a complaint about how they did not like the way their character was portrayed, because it did not mesh with their actual personality.

And that's what really sucks the most. You can't really play with these characters because the people associated think you're criticizing them or putting them down when all you're trying to do is give the character some fucking depth.

I've kept quiet on these sentiments all this time because it's nothing to get worked up over, it's just a pointless, silly story, but this whole point is the main reason why I'm simply not invested in continuing it.

And I bring this up now because it's more of a rant than an actual review, so it's going here.

Spoiler:

I kind of know what you mean. I kind of feel paranoid when I write D.D. because I don't want to make Sai-chan, or any others I might decide to base on real people, to have flaws because what if they take that the wrong way? It's making me feel a little reluctant to keep going. The fox in the story is vaguely inspired from you, but the personality isn't. That's something I've always wanted to do, and I've always loved animals. I don't worry so much with my Mafia fics because they're already exaggerated alternate personalities. It's way less of a bother when you're writing something that's just goofy and fun rather than serious. In a way D.D. has the potential to have more serious moments, but for the most part I just want to avoid negative character portrayal. A long while back I attempted a fic about adventures at AP, but it felt so awkward writing it and I scrapped it. I sometimes wonder if it's better not to tell anyone if characters are based on real people.

I am sorry Kitsu if I ever complained about my role or character or anything else involved with me... ok, or others. I really like this story and I enjoy reading it and you know that I'm not a big of a reader... As every time you try to tell me to read some stories here, I refuse. So yeah. I do enjoy your work and if I ever blocked your creativity I'm sorry.

Visit me on Facebook: Heart'n'Skull
    or Tumblr

Cocky Curry Turtle~ Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

I'm just upset that I'm not the main villain in every arc. Is that so wrong?

At least you appear.
    I have drowned in the sea of Kitty's forgotten writing ideas~
    *grabs a pair of water wings*
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

Just my two cents on this.

My biggest beef with memberfiction is the fact that nobody ever writes them properly. We've seen tons of them here on AP, but most of them are, well, doomed from the start. Yes, I write D.U.R.I.A.N.. D.U.R.I.A.N. is the worst offender.
    I'm going to be the exception. (Almost done, almost done then I can finally move things forward. )

The first problem with memberfiction is the fact that, from the start, you are expected to include anyone and everyone as quickly as possible. Never mind proper setup, everybody just wants to see themselves make a cameo.
    I'm guilty on both sides of this, and I even have a list of staff, seniors and other notable members to keep track of who will be promoted and who will leave in the future. Thankfully that does allow me to pick and choose a little to see who does more in the story so that they get their promotions later (no way in hell I'm leaving 2010 until the damn time skip). Still it is hard to find things for everyone to do which is why sometimes I'll settle for brief appearances or even just extras. Considering how I like designing and there's a ton of people here I'll have no shortage of bodies to fill the background.
    The second problem with memberfiction is that everybody just wants to see themselves appear.
    While I do love any appreciation my work gets three times over I've been proud to have attracted members who had not appeared in the story yet.
    And then I include them for commenting so talk about shooting myself in the foot in the near future.
    The third problem is that we as authors and readers are naturally inclined to think of our characters as the members themselves, not characters in a fictional universe. This. Right. Here. Is my biggest beef with this. And ultimately why memberfiction is such a difficult medium to write, and to enjoy.

Our characters don't need to be developed because everyone expects the character to embody the user perfectly. Or to act along a set pattern of behaviors. We expect people like Gekko to have a villainous wall street shark personality or for Sai-chan to be sweet and innocent (though this image has no doubt been corrupted ), so there's less incentive to give a character depth in the writing because it's all implied.
    This is where you and I differ and I can even offer advice. The main reason I made Thread Crashers a Video Game/Movie Setting is so that everyone will play a role for the sake of plot and comedy and when you accept that you can have more fun doing your version of an AP epic instead of worrying about being accurate you can really go far. If you don't want Gekko to be on Wall Street then don't do that, do something that compliments the story instead. It's also alright to keep him the way he is but then again you're talented enough to do your own spin on his persona. In my case I got lucky because I had a pre-set boss role to put him in but you get what I mean.

Or in short do your own spin on everything. This is an indulgent fantasy world to begin with. Doing what you enjoy will likely get others to enjoy it more as well because they're role playing in a new situation that doesn't play it safe.

That's fine and great, but we're forgetting that these are supposed to be caricatures based loosely on the personalities of members, not the perfect embodiment of these members. We need to make these characters endure conflict, we need to nurture them, and develop them, and ultimately make them compelling. In my experience, it's easy to give layers to your character because you know you can lampoon yourself without backlash. But how do you give negative traits to people you're writing about because you like them? You just do it, but then suddenly the member associated with that character is put off.
    While I've been uneasy at times as well, take it from me: my story gets better the less safe I play it. Hell I like Brennen but the plot and humor would suffer if I stopped making him a goofy fancypants conspirator because of something as trivial as respect.
    Hell, Memberfiction usually involves at least a few negatives so often it's pretty damn cliche at this point and you should worry more about making a stinger that hasn't been made before.

I don't want to name names, but someone, someone I am very well acquainted with and have nothing but respect for, who I am still on only the best terms with, sent me a complaint about how they did not like the way their character was portrayed, because it did not mesh with their actual personality.
    There's really only two ways to handle it: 1. Explain it's a joke or that you're giving them depth and they should be able to accept it. If they don't then 2. Kill off their character (or at least make him/her less important) and replace it with someone who will meet your needs because quite frankly they're not the ones who's writing shit now are they?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information