+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Thread: The Muppets

Default Re: The Muppets

Do those season sets even admit to being edited? I think there are unaltered foreign sets but I don't think the US has ever seen the complete original episodes on DVD.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I hadn't even realized they were edited. What was cut out?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

MUPPETS ARE BACK, BABY!!!
    https://deadline.com/2019/08/muppets...us-1202703195/

Now maybe I will have to get Disney+.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

So the whole thing will be adlib? I have a hard time believing that.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Please don't ever let the Muppets die.

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    So the whole thing will be adlib? I have a hard time believing that.
    Back in the day a lot of the Henson stuff was adlib when it was just bits between characters. Swedish Chef especially. Obviously that doesn't apply to any of the elaborate song and dance numbers or anything with a lot of characters, but... if its set up like an Improv show where they're jsut given a theme and told to run with it for five minutes, I can see that. Whose Line Is It Anyway with Muppets.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    MUPPETS ARE BACK, BABY!!!
    https://deadline.com/2019/08/muppets...us-1202703195/

Now maybe I will have to get Disney+.
    Don't think you'll be needing it.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/the-mup...is-1202730154/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    once again, corporate interference has robbed us of something that would have been great.
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

Well, that sucks, but looking at the description maybe its for the best.

Muppets Live Another Day was to pick up right where 1984’s The Muppets Take Manhattan left off and focus on Kermit as he must bring the Muppets back together (after being disbanded) to help locate the missing Rowlf.
    Like geez, is that the ONLY story they know how to do with this franchise now? Everyone broke up, now lets get the band back together?? They JUST did that. As a movie. Seven years ago.

Guys, the muppets can be more than doing that one plotline or parody recreation of classic novels. Come ooooon. You don't have to go back to the "they're just putting on a variety show" thing every time. That's not what the muppets are, thats just what they parodied at the time because that was a popular thing that lots of celebs did... its mostly just that the Muppets are the only one that became generational so its the only variety show people know now.

also

It was going to be Muppets by way of Stranger Things and feel like a movie spread over 6-8 episodes. Part of the joy for us, by placing the Muppets in the middle of the 1980’s, was to subvert and comment on our current love for all things nostalgia while at the same time allowing the characters to tell a story that would ultimately lead to and end in present day, revealing some secrets along the way.”
    No no no no no. Stranger Things is a fine show. It is not a format Muppets should be aping. That they even think the right buzz word to go to is a horror franchise shows they had the wrong mindset. (And I know they weren't saying "Muppets as horror." but "bash you over the head with 80's references")

Don't stick them in the past. Keep going, parody the present, get current stars involved. Don't be stuck in nostalgia just because they're an old franchise.

Like, the previous show they did had the perfect premise of having Piggy host a late night talk show, which was PERFECT, and then they mucked it up by trying to make it into a serious relationship drama also using the long since dated gimmick of The Office. Ugh, no. Just do a straight up late night talk show, the same way the original did a straight up variety show, and have some behind the scenes. That would have worked great..

So yeah. Its a shame we're not getting more muppets but... this sounds like it was going to be a bad idea and maybe the execs were right to stop it now... rather than just inevitably cancelling it after a single underperforming season.
    Last edited by Robby; September 11th, 2019 at 04:07 PM.

The scripted show that this messy swamp was attempting is a no go, but they said that the unscripted short-form show with celebrities (that I mentioned) is still planned.

Discovered Stowaway

Anyone know if by any chance Disney+ will have Muppet Babies on their catalogue? That was one of my favorite shows when I was a wee one.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Anyone know if by any chance Disney+ will have Muppet Babies on their catalogue? That was one of my favorite shows when I was a wee one.
    Muppet Babies will never see the light of day again because its so loaded down with copyrighted material. Everyone was happy to say yes to Jim Henson, not so much the legacy in syndication and dvd. Plus there's a new CG Muppet Babies now, they're never going to showcase the old one when they have that to push instead..

You can find it online though if you want to watch it again.
    https://www.thewatchcartoononline.tv.../muppet-babies

At this point, Star Trek is pretty much the only property in Muppet Babies that Disney doesn't own or that isn't public domain. Of course, it's also in the hands of one of the few corporations that Disney can't buy either.

How long will that last?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    How long will that last?
    They already own one of the big basic tv channels, monopoly laws and general logistics prevent them from owning another of the main 4.

They could probably buy Star Trek by itself if they really wanted, but they couldn't buy CBS.

Similarly, they can't buy DC comics.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Muppet Babies will never see the light of day again because its so loaded down with copyrighted material. Everyone was happy to say yes to Jim Henson, not so much the legacy in syndication and dvd. Plus there's a new CG Muppet Babies now, they're never going to showcase the old one when they have that to push instead..

You can find it online though if you want to watch it again.
    https://www.thewatchcartoononline.tv.../muppet-babies
    Nah, I'm in it for the collecting. I like to own that in a physical medium or it's not the same. Then I can share it with my kids after that other stuff becomes obsolete or inaccessible.

Well you're gonna have to go bootleg then.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Similarly, they can't buy DC comics.
    Monopoly aside, AT&T is also quite a bit larger than Disney so there's no way for Disney to make a hostile takeover of the company.

Far as Star Trek goes, even combined, CBS and Viacom are smaller than Disney but the problem there for Disney is that stock is overwhelmingly in the hands of two people and I can't see the Redstones okaying the selling off one of their highest profile properties.

Discovered Stowaway

Anything to keep Star Wars and Star Trek from crossing over into the same universe. Although, that could be fun if blended into a Pigs in Space sketch.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information