+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 504: ''To Fulfill a Promise - Separate Departures!''

Default Re: 504: ''To Fulfill a Promise - Separate Departures!''

Quote Originally Posted by Samwize78 View Post
    It's actually called:
    -505- "I Want to See Them! Luffy's Tearful Scream"
    Thanks. So I guess we're getting all of Chapter 590 next week.

Overall, it was a great episode. The animation was slightly above average and the pacing was excellent.
    I'm so happy they included Luffy knocking out the Lord of the Coast. Toei finally made up for that lost opportunity from the beginning of the series.

Very nice episode. I'm very satisfied with the flashback as a whole. The artwork seems to have come up a notch, and the animation was nice here too. I particularly loved the end of the fb with the Lord of the Coast--and Luffy's VA, as usual, was amazing on the ending sequence for those immortal, life changing words.

Dadan was portrayed well--love her. Darn I want to do a cosplay of her for Otakon, but I don't know how to do the hair well. Oh well. No biggie. LOL.

Now, looking forward to the uber cool scenes
    Spoiler:
    when Rayleigh arrives...

Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    The advertisements sorta spoiled the emotional moments.

Overrall very good episode, the pacing was handled well. I don't remember Dragon saying thet he was observing the world nobles in Luffy's town in the manga.
    He doesn't; all that shows up in the manga is "OH NOES THESE WOUNDS ARE HORRIBLE! LET'S PATCH 'IM UP!"

I actually think that this was a quite telling addition, and offers a strong piece of evidence for the "Sabo's alive" camp. Sure, it's not technically canon, but it's very possible that these issues will play out later on.
    Spoiler:

How can you say no to that beautiful face?! Vote for Elder Nyon in the 2011 AP Tournament!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugi's Black Magician View Post
    Uh...neither of those two are innovative.

Placing the flashback after the war (as rushed and woefully written as key elements of it were) made the focus not on why Ace was important for Luffy to save, but why his death was as terrible as it was for Luffy. Oda broke from his structure for once and it worked out wonderfully, the Goa Kingdom's completely one-dimensional nobles aside.
    "innovation generally refers to the creation or improvement of products, technologies, or ideas. Innovation is distinguished from renovation in that innovation generally signifies a substantial change or difference versus more incremental changes."

One Piece is obviously inspired by Dragon Ball and honestly is BIG IMPROVEMENT in many respects. A better more held together plot, better character development, better adventure theme, way more meaning, less plot holes, every character is useful, etc. As a shonen, and even just as a manga in general One Piece is different from most manga out there. Odas planning is unmatched and so are his ideas. A rubber boy has not been done before and honestly who would think that up? You wouldn't assume such a character to be inspiring or serious but alas he is. And that is a big change from the hero stereotype

The flashback was definitely rushed but you say it a bad thing -.-. How is this even breaking from the structure. Really nobles are one dimensional? When Sabo was hit, most of them were worried (you may argue for the celestial dragons sanity but there was definitely a hint of compassion for Sabo). Now you have a DB profile pic and you seem to be insulting Oda for these 1D nobles. Really? Now i'm going to go into royalty here: Iceberg, Cobra/Vivi, Sabo, Gan Fall, and somethings slipping my mind but i think theres one or two more. Most nobles didn't seem to even know what was going on when everything burned too

Amazing episode... Very happy that we're back to the present, and that I'm able to look back on the anime's rendition of the flashback so fondly. Luffy's VA was INCREDIBLE at the end there, Luffy's voice was very sharp there (when he says "I'm still so weak!"). Seriously I couldn't have asked for more from this episode.

-expansion of zoro's small training segment
    -extra info on what dragon was doing
    -little tidbits like the forest animals and the bear clawing luffy (ouch...)
    -all the montages were done flawlessly

Great job on the flashback, Toei. Can you keep this up?

After seen the extra part of Dragon, don't have any doubt that Sabu is alive.

Best short story arc of the HD episodes in my opinion.
    New World is best world.

I teared up both times that Dadan started crying. And the ending where Luffy declares he's weak made my heart drop. Another excellent episode and nice finish to the flashback arc.

PS. Does any one know why there is no new episode (206) on the Funimation website of the G8 arc?

Any episode that uses the "Luffy's Here" music effectively can't be too bad in my book.

Absolutely amazing episode. I laughed, I almost cried. This episode makes my favourite list.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by hiper05 View Post
    I teared up both times that Dadan started crying. And the ending where Luffy declares he's weak made my heart drop. Another excellent episode and nice finish to the flashback arc.

PS. Does any one know why there is no new episode (206) on the Funimation website of the G8 arc?
    Because Toei won't let FUNi have any episodes past 205 yet.

Does any one know why there is no new episode (206) on the Funimation website of the G8 arc?
    It's because that's where the DVD's stop. Apparently that's where they stopped dubbing. Though, I was kinda expecting atleast just the sub of the episode. Bummer.
    New World is best world.

Musician of Ω Mega Pirates Jazzfeezy's Avatar

Great episode!
    Glad the flashback is over and can't wait to see next week on how the handle the funeral and get everything back on track :)
    Finally back to weekly posting!!

2 Remixes this week!!

Songs of the week: Needed Me & Dope Check the thread Here!!

Quote Originally Posted by BuggyTheProfet View Post
    Yeah, though I wish they never did that really. I always had a feeling Sabo survived, but the ambiguity of it made it all the more exciting if it's true.

I though 206 is the last episode of the arc. Why not just finish up the arc nicely? Who's stupid idea was it the end dubbing here, it really suxs. Hope whatever issues they have, they don't take too long to start up dubbing again.

Who's stupid idea was it the end dubbing here, it really suxs.
    TOEI.

The frog stole the show for me. That’s my new favorite thing ever. Long live RIRIRIRIRIRIRIRRI Frog.
    ~When not here, Iím reading and reviewing manga for The Forum Post.~

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Quote Originally Posted by BuggyTheProfet View Post
    How could you? But his name is Sabo (for me Naruto) and i bet he is really awesome now. Can't wait. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by thewonderer View Post
    "innovation generally refers to the creation or improvement of products, technologies, or ideas. Innovation is distinguished from renovation in that innovation generally signifies a substantial change or difference versus more incremental changes."

One Piece is obviously inspired by Dragon Ball and honestly is BIG IMPROVEMENT in many respects. A better more held together plot, better character development, better adventure theme, way more meaning, less plot holes, every character is useful, etc. As a shonen, and even just as a manga in general One Piece is different from most manga out there. Odas planning is unmatched and so are his ideas. A rubber boy has not been done before and honestly who would think that up? You wouldn't assume such a character to be inspiring or serious but alas he is. And that is a big change from the hero stereotype

The flashback was definitely rushed but you say it a bad thing -.-. How is this even breaking from the structure. Really nobles are one dimensional? When Sabo was hit, most of them were worried (you may argue for the celestial dragons sanity but there was definitely a hint of compassion for Sabo). Now you have a DB profile pic and you seem to be insulting Oda for these 1D nobles. Really? Now i'm going to go into royalty here: Iceberg, Cobra/Vivi, Sabo, Gan Fall, and somethings slipping my mind but i think theres one or two more. Most nobles didn't seem to even know what was going on when everything burned too
    Your attempt to de-value my post by referencing my avatar--a shot from a horrendously drawn episode of Dragon Ball Z--does not inspire me to reply to your post with earnest feelings. Attempting to tie the discussion into a comparison with Dragon Ball also falls short on the basic level that Toriyama Akira doesn't write a story to be overbearingly melodramatic like Oda. Toriyama never puts too much heart of stock in trying to make the reader feel for his characters because it simply isn't in his nature. He's a gag artist that stumbled into the over-the-top 1980s-1990s martial arts genres. Oda, by his own admittance, is always trying to get some form of emotional response out of the reader. He's always pushing the drama and humor to extremes to make a "great comic for boys" in some obsession with never making the series too adult. This manifests in the Goa Kingdom arc most prominently because Oda is obviously rushing so that the next arc can begin as close to chapter #600 as possible. As such, this leaves us with unbeliably one-dimensional and under-developed characters, like Sabo's parents, and the inner-workings of the Goa nobility. It's hard for me to not roll my eyes during this arc when I should obviously be feeling something for the characters and their plight.

That aside, there are some overall positives I can list for this arc.

•Placing this arc after the Marineford war breaks from Oda's usual structure and storytelling by placing the emphasis on the tragedy that has unfolded in Luffy's life.
    •Sabo developes both Ace and Luffy, solidifying why they both feel strongly about each other as brothers. The slim hope that Sabo may still be alive is also reassuring, if schmaltzy.
    •Dragon's motives are made much more clear simply because of one well-done scene (despite questionable build-up).
    •The King backstabs Bluejam. I wouldn't have suspected this out of Oda, so I have to give him credit. He typically avoids having serious, out-right coldhearted and serious bastards (save Lucci).
    Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter) | Gender bender is love! Gender bender is life!

Discovered Stowaway

People are still questioning the flashbacks placement? If it had been done earlier it would have killed the forward momentum in trying to rescue Ace. Also it would have signposted that Ace was going to die soon. Furthermore Sabo's story wouldn't have been relevant had it been placed earlier as it has nothing to do with the war. Finally the flashback ends with Luffy at the height of optimism leaving his home town declaring "I'm going to be King of the Pirates" before going back to Luffy in the middle of his journey having reached the lowest low he'll ever face falling to despair. It brings the story full circle.

Ps. Apart from the Dadan thunderclouds, Jimbei looks totally ridiculous at one point in the preview.
    Last edited by vick86; June 25th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

"I wait for you, Luffy!" blackness662's Avatar

Great episode!
    The flashback ended, and we are moving on!
    Can't wait for next week! :)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information