+ Reply to Thread
Page 470 of 496 FirstFirst ... 370 420 460 468 469 470 471 472 480 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,400 of 9914

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread - Holy Shitballs

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - Can't keep a good God down.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I still don't understand WHY we have a movie about goddamn Venom. Who thought that character could fill a whole movie?

It's a waste of Tom Hardy.
    This guy was in Dark Knight Rises and a couple of other forgettable movies he'll be aight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Tom Hardy playing Venom cracks me up a little because Bane' s drug is called Venom.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/85919/ven...at-bad-trailer

Wh... this is disturbing, how can turning the sharp teeth into regular teeths be more disturbing?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    http://www.dorkly.com/post/85919/ven...at-bad-trailer

Wh... this is disturbing, how can turning the sharp teeth into regular teeths be more disturbing?
    Uncanny valley .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Future Smash Hit Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

The Avengers review

This was one of the three MCU films I'd seen before this marathon, but it's been five years since I saw it and I completely forgot how much of a blast it was.

The film's biggest strength is that it does a pretty good job of giving focus to pretty much everyone on the team. The two weakest portrayals imo were Hulk, whose role just felt mostly like constant acknowledgement of him being volatile, and Hawkeye, because I didn't mind his trip to the other side in itself but he didn't really make much of an impact in it. Also he still felt new to me, because he didn't really do that much in Thor in contrast Black Widow's more memorable role in Iron Man 2. But even those guys could have been a lot weaker so the team managed to surprise me by being pretty solid all around.

And Loki, goddamn Loki. As with most things in that film, I didn't care for his actions in Thor. And I did feel a kind of disconnect between his more callous attitude here and his mixed-motivation portrayal in Thor. But his portrayal here almost managed to completely erase that. He gets to scheme and kick butt in equal measures, and Hiddleston pulled off the scene with Black Widow to perfection. Bringing back an older villain to center stage for the teamup film could have easily gone wrong, but it didn't with Loki. So I guess my biggest character complaints with this film are essentially Thor's fault, haha.

Additionally, the film manages to really work by combining its character moments and action scenes really well. I feel that the previous Marvel films, except maybe Hulk, failed to strike a good balance and devoted too little time to action sequences, which made them feel really lackluster. Not only is there a ton of action here, but most of it feels earned thanks to the character moments building up to it effectively. Mayyyybe the fight between Iron-Cap and Thor was a tad unnecessary, but it didn't really detract from much to me. It did help contribute to Thor's breaking point when the Avengers start fighting amongst themselves, after all.

The Chitauri were bland as hell though. I'm not one to make villain suggestions given my lack of comics experience, but I'd have possibly preferred turning the larger creatures into the sole threat and giving more focus on them. Because I didn't feel that Loki's hype for the Chitauri was executed well when we just got treated to grunt soldiers with the energy guns that didn't impress me in Cap 1 and still don't impress me.

So now that I'm at the end of Phase 1, here's my ranking of the MCU films so far:

1. The Avengers
    2. The Incredible Hulk
    3. Captain America: The First Avenger
    4. Iron Man
    5. Iron Man 2
    6. Thor

Double movie week next week! Looking forward to Black Panther, even though I have no real idea what the plot is supposed to be about. But the guy gained goodwill from me in Civil War and I have faith he can carry a movie well.

Spoiler:

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Not that I'm against the soul stone being confirmed to be in Wakanda, but I'll be somehow bothered that there was three infinity stones on Earth from the very beggining.
    Whoever left the tesseract, the time stone and the soul stone all on Earth wasn't as wise as the asgardians keeping the Aether away from another infinity stone.

Sneaky Disney . . . . putting our olympians in Marvel cosplay:
    https://www.themarysue.com/us-olympi...-marvel-suits/

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Not that I'm against the soul stone being confirmed to be in Wakanda, but I'll be somehow bothered that there was three infinity stones on Earth from the very beggining.
    Whoever left the tesseract, the time stone and the soul stone all on Earth wasn't as wise as the asgardians keeping the Aether away from another infinity stone.
    If its any consolation, the tesseract is a retcon and they clearly meant for it to be a cosmic cube originally rather than an infinity stone.

And historically the eye of agamotto isn't an infinity gem either. They've kind of merged their cosmic artifacts together for the sake of covering all of the gems in a reasonable time frame.

If anything, it gives a built up reason for Strange to lose the Eye of Agamotto, cause that eye makes him OP as fuck. Granted, he's Dr Strange and OP as fuck to begin with, but at least there's that.

I just came back from Black Panther and all I can say is... its amazing. The bold and vibrant visuals, the fully fleshed out characters (which has the most colourful and developed characters in a solo Marvel movie to date) and futuristic with a tasteful traditional African culture world or Wakanda, the well presented and thought provoking themes, the score, the solid and well rounded plot, the flashy choreographed action, almost everything.

Its not perfect, it has some flaws (like the rather messy third act, and a particular sequence that is given too little time to let the impact sink in) but those are easily overlooked by what the film does right. Probably my favourite Marvel movie to date and I'm going to give it a solid 8.5/10. Possible long review coming soon™, but right now all I want to say is Wakanda Forever and
    Spoiler:
    all hail King Killmonger.
    Last edited by le crystal; February 13th, 2018 at 12:32 PM.

↑Biological Weaopn of Doom and Destruction

Black Panther was perfectly fine. But felt very much like another Marvel movie thrown on the pile. Michael B Jordan really killed it though. Do not engage with any comment sections or social media discussions relating to it though. :P

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    That's been confirmed? I guess it figures. Would have made an interesting part of Infinity War if it was still out there, the one thing keeping Thanos from having ultimate power, and having everyone scrambling and racing to find it and keep it out of his hands.

My guy Bob agrees with the others:

"We may have to build a second internet to house the ensuing wave of fanfiction alone."

That's probably the best thing I've read/heard yet.

I have seen Thor and have a question regarding the ending

Spoiler:
    I did not really understand how the dude responsible for bringing Ragnarok, meaning the magma demon in the beginning and end, was supposed to beat Hela. I mean Thor beat him without his thunder powerup pretty nonchalantly, and Thor had no real chance against Hela, but suddenly Hela is supposed to lose against the Ragnarok dude?

Other than that, this is how i imagine a blockbuster should be, pure fun, good comical scenes, really nice action and a simple story arc.
    They could have done a better job with Odin and Thor speaking at teh end, it was like both were just going through the motions without really caring about what they were saying, but you can easily overlook that.

Pretty much my favorite Marvel film with Avengers 1 and Guardians 1.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post

Spoiler:
    I did not really understand how the dude responsible for bringing Ragnarok, meaning the magma demon in the beginning and end, was supposed to beat Hela. I mean Thor beat him without his thunder powerup pretty nonchalantly, and Thor had no real chance against Hela, but suddenly Hela is supposed to lose against the Ragnarok dude?

Other than that, this is how i imagine a blockbuster should be, pure fun, good comical scenes, really nice action and a simple story arc.
    They could have done a better job with Odin and Thor speaking at teh end, it was like both were just going through the motions without really caring about what they were saying, but you can easily overlook that.

Pretty much my favorite Marvel film with Avengers 1 and Guardians 1.
    IIRC he gets more powerful during Ragnarok

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    He gets stronger on Asguard, just like Hela does, and when the time of Ragnarock comes. Note he was like the size of a mountain at the end, whereas when Thor fought him he was just big.

Makes sense, thanks.

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

It's a mediocre and boring movie, but there are two things I liked
    -the whole thing about African pride or whatever you call it
    -the chemistry between the king and his little sister

Makes sense, thanks.
    Spoiler:
    It's actually that he needed the eternal flame to possess his full powers to destroy Asgard, which Loki used to resurrect him at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsleftsock View Post
    Spoiler:
    It's actually that he needed the eternal flame to possess his full powers to destroy Asgard, which Loki used to resurrect him at the end.
    Makes even more sense

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information