+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free Space in (:C) Drive Mysteriously Decreasing Daily

Write something, Dammit! Rogues' Gallery's Avatar

Exclamation Free Space in (:C) Drive Mysteriously Decreasing Daily

I have a 2006 Windows Vista Home Premium Toshiba Laptop. About 3-4 weeks ago, I tried to save all of my file information and programs on discs using the Backup feature of the Backup and Restore Center.

It worked for a short while, but ultimately canceled/stopped itself and ever since then, the amount of Free Space in my (:C) Drive gradually decreases daily.

After I installed Windows Vista Service Pack 2, I jumped from 47 GB of Free Space to about 67 GB of Free Space. Now, my current amount of Free Space is 51 GB! And I haven't installed or downloaded anything since then! It decreases about 1 GB every day or two.

I seriously never had this problem until I used the Backup & Restore Center & DO NOT know how to correct this problem!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Last edited by Rogues' Gallery; August 20th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Default Re: Free Space in (:C) Drive Mysteriously Decreasing Daily

I'm not sure, but maybe the backup feature is making a lot of new restore points or something?

I have a laptop that actually started doing the same thing a few months ago (also Vista - and it started happening after an update). Before that I'd never used the backup feature. I remember checking to see if the backup manager was making restore points, but it didn't say it was (although I still think that's what is happening).

There's a button somewhere (in disk cleanup) that lets me delete everything but the most recent backup/restore point, and that frees up a few GB (at least until a few days later when I have to do it again).

But maybe you could disable the backup/restore point feature or something or make sure it's not constantly making new backups (I've never really tried much beyond a quick glance, but someone else can probably help).
    Last edited by Captain Kuro; August 20th, 2011 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kuro View Post
    Before that I'd never used the backup feature.
    Yeah, same here. Now I wish I never did use it.

There's a button somewhere (in disk cleanup) that lets me delete everything but the most recent backup/restore point, and that frees up a few GB (at least until a few days later when I have to do it again).
    I could try that, but I don't want to accidentally delete any of my files/folders and make the system/situation worse. That and I don't know where the disk cleanup is.

*is an Noob in computer problem-solving*

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The System Backup has already been disabled/turned off for a week or two now, and it's still decreasing.

Also, I never used the restore function.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.333 View Post
    I could try that, but I don't want to accidentally delete any of my files/folders and make the system/situation worse. That and I don't know where the disk cleanup is.
    Well, you could try this (although I'm not sure if the steps would be exactly the same for your computer). It will only delete any backups/restore points (or whatever they are called) and should leave your stuff alone.

Start menu, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup

It might ask "my files only" or "files from all users on this computer" (if there are multiple accounts...I always have to pick the second option, otherwise it doesn't give me access to the "more options" tab later).

(disk cleanup will then calculate how much space it can free and it might take awhile)

Then there is a window with two tabs (the first tab has the normal disk cleanup stuff - like temporary internet files and all that - you can uncheck the check boxes if you don't want to delete any of that at this point).

The second tab ("more options") has a button at the bottom under "system restore and shadow copies" that says "cleanup" - click that and it brings up a message, and then click ok. At this point my computer will freeze for awhile (while it deletes the older restore points/backups/whatever) - and then when it's done click ok.

Then check your disk space and see if it freed anything up.

Also, I never used the restore function.
    I never did either. Like I said, I have never used the backup/restore features before. I didn't pay any mind to the feature until my disk space started decreasing rapidly. And the fact that I can free the space back up by deleting restore/backup points (that I never told the computer to make in the first place) makes me think that the feature is somehow related to the problem.

Anyway, sorry if this doesn't help. I guess you can try it. But maybe you are having an entirely different problem.
    Last edited by Captain Kuro; August 20th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

Have you tried CCleaner ?

Well, you could try this (although I'm not sure if the steps would be exactly the same for your computer). It will only delete any backups/restore points (or whatever they are called) and should leave your stuff alone.

Start menu, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup

It might ask "my files only" or "files from all users on this computer" (if there are multiple accounts...I always have to pick the second option, otherwise it doesn't give me access to the "more options" tab later).

(disk cleanup will then calculate how much space it can free and it might take awhile)

Then there is a window with two tabs (the first tab has the normal disk cleanup stuff - like temporary internet files and all that - you can uncheck the check boxes if you don't want to delete any of that at this point).

The second tab ("more options") has a button at the bottom under "system restore and shadow copies" that says "cleanup" - click that and it brings up a message, and then click ok. At this point my computer will freeze for awhile (while it deletes the older restore points/backups/whatever) - and then when it's done click ok.

Then check your disk space and see if it freed anything up.
    I'll give it a try. I called my brother (who's sorta techy) and he said that the problem is that the computer is creating constant back-ups of itself every day, thus draining my free space. Is this what you were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    Have you tried CCleaner ?
    No. I've vaguely heard about it today, but don't know much about it.

I'll give it a try. I called my brother (who's sorta techy) and he said that the problem is that the computer is creating constant back-ups of itself every day, thus draining my free space. Is this what you were talking about?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.
    Okay. Also, you said that after you delete everything but the most recent backup/restore point, you have to always do it again a few days later.

Does that mean that there is no permanent solution to this problem? That this will always be an ongoing problem for me?

I'm sure there is a permanent solution, but I haven't really looked that much into it (because I rarely use that particular laptop). I'm pretty sure that I have the backup feature disabled but it keeps making the restore points anyway.

Here is what the button looks like by the way:

http://i.imgur.com/HKmi0.jpg

If it doesn't free any disk space for you, then it might be a different problem. Also, for me at least, the change in disk space might not be immediately apparent (so if you had the "My Computer" window open when you delete the restore points you might need to close it and open it back up to see if anything changes).

Sorry that I can't be of more help.
    Last edited by Captain Kuro; August 20th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see how much it works.

If it turns out that this is a process that I must do again multiple times in the future, how often should I? Every other day? Every week?

Is this really not going to affect my program/files?

Just finished your instructions, and now it jumped from 53 GB of Free Space to 63 GB of Free Space.

The weird thing is that after I clicked on the cleanup button, and then yes to the message, nothing happened. The computer didn't freeze up or anything. Just nothing happened. And then when I checked the "Computer" tab I had 10 GB restored back.

If it turns out that this is a process that I must do again multiple times in the future, how often should I? Every other day? Every week?

Is this really not going to affect my program/files?
    I'm not an expert by any means, but as far as I know it shouldn't affect your things. It didn't affect any of my stuff. It's only supposed to remove older backups, and it should leave the most recent one.

If cleaning up the restore points frees up a significant amount of space, there's a chance that this is the problem. And if you have a good idea of what the problem is it should be easier to find a permanent solution later (if some people who are more knowledgeable can help you).

So mostly I'm recommending this because it might help narrow things down for you. It very well might be another problem entirely though, but at least this might help determine that.

So I guess I would try it at least once before deciding how often you should repeat the process in the future.

EDIT:

Just finished your instructions, and now it jumped from 53 GB of Free Space to 63 GB of Free Space.

The weird thing is that after I clicked on the cleanup button, and then yes to the message, nothing happened. The computer didn't freeze up or anything. Just nothing happened. And then when I checked the "Computer" tab I had 10 GB restored back.
    Okay, so I think there's a chance that we know the problem now. It's might be constantly making backups.

Until someone can help find a permanent solution, I would just recommend monitoring your disk space and repeating the process whenever you feel it's necessary.

I do have a question...does your computer have multiple user accounts? My laptop has two accounts (one is for my brother) and I've sometimes wondered if maybe it's his account making backups or something (I have the backup feature disabled on my account, but I'm not sure about his account).

Just to be sure that it's the backup feature that's causing the decrease in disk space (and not something else), I would also recommend waiting for a day or two (or however long it takes) to see if the disk space continues to decrease. If it does, repeat the cleaning process and see if the space frees up again.

Okay, so I think there's a chance that we know the problem now. It's might be constantly making backups.
    Yeah, I think that this might be the problem as well.

I do have a question...does your computer have multiple user accounts? My laptop has two accounts (one is for my brother) and I've sometimes wondered if maybe it's his account making backups or something (I have the backup feature disabled on my account, but I'm not sure about his account).
    No, this is just my laptop. It used to belong to my mother a few years ago, but I got this laptop instead of her having to buy a new one for me.

Just to be sure that it's the backup feature that's causing the decrease in disk space (and not something else), I would also recommend waiting for a day or two (or however long it takes) to see if the disk space continues to decrease. If it does, repeat the cleaning process and see if the space frees up again.
    Okay, will do.

I'm not an expert by any means
    Aww, but you've been plenty helpful. Thank you!

Free Space in :C Drive just started decreasing again after a while today. I used the same method that worked the first time only now it seems to be ineffective.

Is it a small or large decrease? If you shut down your computer and turn it back on, does it change anything? (if it's small I think it just does that sometimes)

Small Decrease so far. Dropped from 63 GB Free Space to 62.9 GB Free Space.

Well I mean programs store stuff on your HDD when they run so that might explain a small decrease but I have no clue what's happening if it's a 10GB decrease . Is there any way for you to compare the contents before and after to try and figure out what's taking up the space?

Stupid windows updates.... probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by xterm
    The problem with [the world] is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    Thanks Sky for the Avatar

Unless it starts decreasing by 1 GB a day or something (like it was before) I wouldn't be too concerned about a small decrease yet (because I think that could be due to any number of things).

I guess wait a few more days and if it starts decreasing as much as it was before, try the method one more time and see if it does anything.

In this case I'd try to just run C Cleaner.

Because apparently windows' own cleaning program is lay as fuck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information