+ Reply to Thread
Page 143 of 144 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 141 142 143 144 LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 2861

Thread: The Viz Media Thread

Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

That guy looks a lot like Saga from movie 5.

Does the story get into his narcolepsy? We only ever saw it in Alabasta and on Buggy's ship, and I was wondering if that was actually a thing they ever touch on again.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

He wakes up in his grave like "??? Where'd everyone go?"

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[SubscribeStar]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

So I finished my One Piece collection from Viz. I have all 93 current volunes published. Just bought the first Ace volume. Wanted to know if they were ever going to publish the Law volumes, or if you think they would. I only really collect the canon content so I want all of it I can own preferably in English. However if not I would invest in the Japanese format.

So, question: If I were to subscribe to WSJ again, do I get access to the backlock from a computer?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

You get access to every Shonen Jump series in its entirety.

Not sure about old issues of the magazine though. Actually that brings up a good point. English WSJ digital had the cleanest versions of some colorspreads and front page illustrations. Were those ever archived?

I forgot that I asked and continued, I still have all issues that my subscription let me (around when HxH went back from a hiatus to the end, save a month or two between renovations) but I’m reading is series backlog, as it has the volume black and white versions of color pages (buuuu) but the author extra comments (fun).

Having the color material on a series that was never in English shonen jump would be a weird legal void. What id like is for the reader to not be shit. Full screen doesn’t mean “I want to set full screen every time that I go to the next chapter” nor “with the title of the series and the progress bar showing always of course”

Making manga plus reader look good. Heh.

No mouse way to pass the page is bad. Clicking to go to next chapter instead of passing page is bad. I’m ok with the image quality, but it doesn’t feel like the best.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Can someone help with this ?

What is the accurate translation for this text ? (From ch499)

[ 2番手にして1値2千万 ]

Some said, viz translation wasn’t that accurate

Viz

[ he’s only the first mate, but he’s worth 120 million ]

Other

[ A second-in-command with 120 million ]

https://www.amazon.com/One-Piece-Vol-96/dp/1974719995/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=one+piece+volume+96&q id=1595629540&sr=8-2

V
    olume 96 is coming out April 6th, 2021 in the US

Viz is reaaaally dragging out the release of the volumes lately

We went from an 8 month gap with volume 92 (Mar. 2019 in Japan, Nov. 2019 in the US) to a 12 month gap with volume 96 (April 2020 in Japan, April 2021 in the US)

Disappointing
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Covid pushed ALL their releases back. There was supposed to be new Maison Ikkoku omnibus out at the end of July and its now releasing in September, for instance.

They also released that Ace novel instead of, rather than in addition to, the normal release, so that pushed it back too.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Apparently the volume 94 cover was never posted? It's out in a couple days (at least for Americans, I expect to be waiting at least a few weeks). Well here it is along with the newly revealed volume 95.

I think the purple Wano banner actually looks pretty good on the pink background here.

This is very minor, but I want to point out that the English volumes now cover the story ahead of the anime.

Before the hiatus, any weekly anime viewer purchasing the latest volumes would basically only be reading a recap of what they just watched over the past 3 months or so of anime.

However now they will be reading the story that will be shown over the next 3 months of the anime.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    DO:

- Tell them you have lettering experience
    - List your software expertise

DO NOT:

- Tell them your experience came from scanlating
    - Mention how many volumes you scanlated

Companies probably have lettering tests if you don't have any professional examples to show them, and they can assess your work that way. Bottom line is that they want people who can do the job (and everyone knows that most people cut their teeth on scanlation first these days) but they do not want the kind of person who is going to act proud of that and claim it as an admirable reason to get hired. Some pubs will just outright reject you if they see that.
    Hey stephen, i tried dming Vanessa satone for some information regarding that but sadly didnt receive a reply so maybe you can help me out by answering this since i am/was always interested in applying. I have some questions that would be cool if you can answer (even if you cant answer/know all of them)

1 Does it matter where i live or how great my english skills are? (Since i am "only" the letterer i hope i dont need an A in English for applying, since im only copying the text by the translator after all. Im solid in casual english which people can hopefully see through my message.) (2nd: I am living in the EU, does that pose a problem? because i hope that its not the case, yet i would be relieved to find out if that is indeed the case.)
    2. Is redrawing experience required? I have heard mixed things about this. I dont have any experience in redrawing at all and dont plan on acquiring that skill in the future because i dont see myself taking enjoyment out of it. If i can apply as a Letterer and work solely as that, that would be great.
    3. Does Viz provide Fonts for me? Do i have to buy them? Or am i limited to the ones i own? Can i propose good looking fonts that would seem useful to my manager/the team leader/the higher up in charge? Any stories you heard in that regard? I usually see mangas using a limited amount of Fonts. While i agree on the notion that not every single line has to be highlighted, I am of the opinion that important speeches/announcements/sad talking/happy talking/screams etc. can have a greater effect on the reader if combined with the great font.
    4. As blasphamous as that may sound, can i write a casual e-mail to viz/email them and ask for a lettering test to prove my skills and therefore "let my skills speak and not my CV" or is a CV with everything around it necessary to work (as a freelancer?) for Viz?
    5. Do you know who i can ask for further information? Maybe a contact you have/ a letterer on social media that is inspiring other letterers/ a viz-support email i can question? That would be plenty.

I am apoligizing in advance for the inconvenience i may have caused you, but i really hope i can do Lettering for official manga as a side job (or even main job depending on the outcome) since i used to have plenty of fun doing it in my freetime in the past for - yes i am guity of all charges - scanlating random manga. Which i learned know, i wont mention in the potential application.

Thanks in advance as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DruMzTV View Post
    H
    Been lettering for Viz for a while. English is my second language, it wouldn't hurt to be really good at it though. Knowing katakana and hiragana helps too. You need to be able to redraw/touch up. Even for weekly series that's a must. It doesn;t matter where you live, letterers are from all over. I think I got some fonts from Viz but I really don't remember that far back. You gotta get them yourself for sure. Editor usually tells you which fonts to use/not to use. If you wanna letter you gotta learn to redraw and be good. They have some tests they can give you. I think you can email them and if they need more letterers they'll get back to you. Good luck! I'm not here a lot but you can message me on twitter if you want. SnirAharon. (I'm not on there a lot either...)

Quote Originally Posted by Snir View Post
    Been lettering for Viz for a while. English is my second language, it wouldn't hurt to be really good at it though. Knowing katakana and hiragana helps too. You need to be able to redraw/touch up. Even for weekly series that's a must. It doesn;t matter where you live, letterers are from all over. I think I got some fonts from Viz but I really don't remember that far back. You gotta get them yourself for sure. Editor usually tells you which fonts to use/not to use. If you wanna letter you gotta learn to redraw and be good. They have some tests they can give you. I think you can email them and if they need more letterers they'll get back to you. Good luck! I'm not here a lot but you can message me on twitter if you want. SnirAharon. (I'm not on there a lot either...)
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Youre a blessing fam thats super dope! Ill shoot you a message
    Last edited by DruMzTV; August 4th, 2020 at 04:48 PM.

A little something because I apparently have too much time on my hands with everything locked down. I've said before that I like the idea of Viz's story arc banners on the volumes, but I think it's often let down by the execution. Well I've done some quick editing and made a proof of concept for how I think they should have been done.

Here's what the current Viz set looks like:

And here's my proposed fix:

Volume 32 becomes a Skypiea volume and volume 50 becomes a Thriller Bark volume because it makes more sense to round to the nearest book rather than always rounding down. The Paramount War banner now covers the entire saga from Sabaody to Marineford, just to have all the pre-timeskip stuff presented in the same format. Post timeskip we go arc by arc instead, because they're so much longer and more interconnected and all point toward the ultimate goal of Wano anyway. The Fishman Island volumes can keep the New World banner, since it's still pretty appropriate for them. Then there's now Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, Zou and Tottoland logos connecting the New World to Wano.

Now, I'm no graphic designer so it's not all perfect. A professional would definitely be able to pick slightly better or more complementary tones for a lot of the colours in my custom arc banners, but I think this makes the point of how good this could have looked regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Here's my proposed fix:
    https://i.imgur.com/87i4zY1.jpg
    Agreed, particularly with Sabaody to Paramount War, they should clearly be one arc because they all run into each other and they're collectively the same length as the other arcs. I assume the wierd small arcs there was a case of Viz suddenly not having hindsight to go off and making a bunch of incorrect assumptions. I think that Zou is small and exposition/setup-heavy enough to be part of Tottoland, though (which I'd personally call "Whole Cake" or "Germa 66").
    I think they 'round down' the arcs' volume numbers because they want them to be jumping-on points (when the speed-up happened they had "New Arc! Start here!" stickers on those volumes), but I suppose that means they expected new readers to buy the first "Water Seven" and "Sabaody" volumes and start with the last one or two chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    Agreed, particularly with Sabaody to Paramount War, they should clearly be one arc because they all run into each other and they're collectively the same length as the other arcs. I assume the wierd small arcs there was a case of Viz suddenly not having hindsight to go off and making a bunch of incorrect assumptions. I think that Zou is small and exposition/setup-heavy enough to be part of Tottoland, though (which I'd personally call "Whole Cake" or "Germa 66").
    I think they 'round down' the arcs' volume numbers because they want them to be jumping-on points (when the speed-up happened they had "New Arc! Start here!" stickers on those volumes), but I suppose that means they expected new readers to buy the first "Water Seven" and "Sabaody" volumes and start with the last one or two chapters.
    Yeah, I'd have to check the release dates, but I'm pretty sure Sabaody was riiight around when the English volumes actually caught up with the Japanese release (or at least, got within the 10 month window they were allowed to have) and they obviously overcomitted to it, not knowing the bigger picture. The whole New World debacle feels like a blunt force solution to never getting caught out by that again. I get the marketing appeal of going by what starts in the volume so you're always sure to get the beginning of a new arc, but it still just feels so wrong when you know the chapter ratio is 7:1. And it does create its own problems for new readers. Years ago, an ex who was reading blind through my physical volumes was feeling relieved to finally reach the end of Skypiea and ended up confused and frustrated when it went on for almost another whole book after the last volume with its name on the spine

Maybe a compromise could have been an extended recap for the first volume of a new banner if the arc technically started in the previous book, enough to get new readers up to speed without things feeling so awkward for collectors.

If I'd made my edits only a few months ago I probably would have put Zou in together with Tottoland, but I've been rethinking how I look at these stories structurally lately. Zou sets up as much for Wano as it does for Tottoland, and is totally aesthetically and tonally unique from any other arc it might be pushed together with. I think the post timeskip stuff is just fundamentally structured different from the pretimeskip in a way that resists arcs being counted together. The pre-timeskip stuff always had the ultimate end goal of setting up Ace and Marineford, but that was at best a subplot developing independently of the crew's actions, and didn't become apparent how it would come together basically until Thriller Bark. For post-timeskip, the overarching destination of Wano has been clear since Punk Hazard and its 100% the crew's own actions taking them there. Smaller sets of two or three arcs don't make the same satisfyingly closed off sagas they used to because really the whole New World is saga in the pre-timeskip sense of the term. In that respect it was neater to just have them all be named individually rather than trying to give Zou/Tottoland special treatment.

(Names-wise, I never understood how Whole Cake became the most common nomenclature for that particular plot thread. Between Cacao Island, the battles at sea and the mirror world, a huge chunk of the arc is spent off of the eponymous island, so doesn't it make sense for it to be named for the whole archipelago? But that's just me, and things like this are pretty subjective.)

By the way, even though Viz said they were done with Act Age last month, volume 2 still released in stores, at least Barnes aand Noble and Amazon. Didn’t see it in my local comic shop so it’s definitely I think not able to be ordered anymore, but it does exist.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information