View Poll Results: Would you like to be able to give feedback to the staff of arlongpark?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    42 82.35%
  • No

    7 13.73%
  • a third option/route that would work better (elaborate)

    3 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 272

Thread: Staff and forum feedback.

  1. #81
    Bad news for you dwayne! Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Inter mundos

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Urouge View Post
    Without a single. tangible. example. to speak of. None of this means anything without being able to provide one.
    If a portion of the community feel a stff member is not doing their duty properly or being unfair they can't pm at that at the risk of exacerbating it. I had some issues with robby and had to talk at great length with other staff how to handle it without making it worse. Which took a long time and at the end felt one sided as there was nobody to view if he was ready to go half way with me. If i had this thread a while back i could have brought it out in the open and sorted it out, as well as many others that have voiced similar issues and still do, yet don't know how to go about dealing with it.

    Oh and another random example of staff related questions: who is mumbo and why is he part of the staff. Nobody knows anything about him and can't see why he should have a position when it could go to somebody more capable or dedicated.

    I don't mean one or two people, I mean a great deal of people that have been unhappy yet didn't have an option viable in their eyes to take. I also didn't want to mention Robby as an example as i still feel im on thin ice with him, and this is most likely to make it worse...but there i said it.

    Oh my god I had no idea you were so naive.
    Logic: when answering a poll read the introductory message to give you a better insight into the minimalistic titles.

    That isn't naive.

    Though after your gem at the end of this about North Korea I'm starting to come around to that realization.
    People being silenced and media being moderated to the extent that the people cannot express themselves at all, nor feel safe doing so. Yeah that comparison is nothing like north koreas mindset.

    Though please do indulge us as to one you think is more fitting, though I'm not sure you would know any more from that throne of yours.

    Oh hey, look at the guy telling me what goes on in our conversations behind closed doors. He'd certainly know better than I would, right?
    Because it's not like i speak to a handful of staff on a regular basis about stuff that does happen in regards to forum decisions....Oh wait i do. It's just a shame the masses of people here aren't allowed to know some of the stuff that does happen, unless of course it truly is a sensitive subject.

    No genius. Here's what happens. We have disagreements about how to handle things at times, and we generally keep them behind closed doors rather than airing them in public. Sooner or later we come to a conclusion and go with it. We don't pull rank or threaten demotions or anything like that.
    True, but when the heads need to roll who will come to your mind first.....the one you don't see eye to eye with or the one the agrees with you wholeheartedly.

    We're all individuals with varying levels of opinion on varying things. You seriously think a mod has never disagreed with me about how to handle policy/procedure?
    I doubt to the extent they would have liked to, nor got the results they should have, being the lesser power.

    Working in several areas of management the past 7 years tells me this.

    You think I never disagreed with brennen before I got promoted? Get real.
    I literally just said that people do disagree in threads and smaller topics, but not when its a political one regarding the forum. Now you can make those disagreements, but what of the staff with 3/4 stars? I bet they aren't so bold as to question the administration, or make public the disapproval if they don't agree with the way it ended.

    In this case in particular, there were no disagreements at all. Nobody can really figure out what's being asked for in the first place. Mostly because there aren't any tangible examples. Just a bunch of vague general statements.
    I haven't been vague nor not given examples of this threads usage. But as you would like them delivered to you directly I'll make another list of issues that would fall under this thread and reasons why they can't be done via the other options i have mentioned several times already. I'm also currently pooling in issues from various members to add to this as the next few days goes on so don't expect it all on a silver platter at once as this is a slow and delicate process.

    I can't help but remind myself of the israel/palestine UN bud right now lol

    So, let me get this straight. You have such a hard time coming up with a real, tangible example, that you totally ignore it and expect me to indulge into this realm of make believe without it? Forget it.
    Only because I know you will say no no no no no without coming up with alternative solutions or justifying why most of it is unnecessary. Just feels like I will make all the effort continuously and never have you go half way. And even in the end if i don justify it you will say no and close it. So why don't you make more of an effort to point out pro's and cons and find a middle ground as I have been doing the past four pages

    We've had tons of valid points made but hardly any of them addressed. Now all the people see is the admins saying no to everything and don't see the point in posting as they no there is no point making an argument that will fall on deaf ears. From the outside perspective it seems like you already made your mind up.

    Give me an actual example of some form of "feedback" that our current systems are insufficient for, or this entire thing is meaningless. Not a concept. Not an idea. A real, actual example.
    Feedback about staff and members, that can be enforced by the members. For example if i came out and said I didn't like the way such and such did that job i might sound like maybe just a butthurt weenie only complaining as i was involved, but if you then have several posters stating the same, the issue would have more leverage and voice to get the staff to look into it and make changes to suit the masses., or at least give further reasoning behind the action itself.

    I'm not mentioning names and not mentioning specific situations as im not going to exacerbate it even more. Something that has also been requested to me by those involved due to them being to afraid to discuss it without a backlash.

    It is also here to discuss infractions you have got that are unfair. Or the possibility of having them removed after a set amount of time, or even just after the person has made significant changes after that event occurred. Permanent infractions are ridiculous and should have an expiration date that doesn't go into years. Sometimes it could just something you think needs to be out in the open and discussed, as pm isn't a viable or good enough option. Bannings & infractions or possible distrust/friction between staff and members is a bigger issue than you would imagine urouge, and more often than not doesn't get resolved how it should do.

    Now an option that would be public as well is irc, but the downside is it is only viewed by a handful of people, their isn't a record that could be reviewed, and you would have to have a time arranged between the two parties to make it work which all in all makes a tense situation even more impossible.

    Where have you been? We've been using it for spoiler threads since before I ever even joined. We've since expanded it to a form of lesser ban that we rarely use, but so what? It's a ban. It's just not as severe.
    It should be used for the spoiler section only and nothing else. Something i think we should be able to discuss here as well. Not just this option but other rules at your disposal that we might not think fair or misused.

    You've totally lost it. You can no longer tell the difference between an internet forum and a country. And even if it was a country, which is a leap off of a canyon, a ban like that would be the equivalent of jail.
    You don't see the similarity between the two? Its got to the point where debating this is no longer worth it with you as you have obviously taken this as a personal attack and not a quest to bring the community together. In fact what you've done here is prove just how disconnected the two sides are.

    And yes i'll enjoy breaking down the similar structure between a modern democracy and this forum when you ask for it.


    Either way the poll suggests the majority of people here want a to voice different issues in front of the community to allow a fair judgement call to be made. Why don't you want that?
    Last edited by Smudger; September 24th, 2011 at 08:42 AM.

  2. #82
    is Stolen Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a state of mind

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Maybe what AP needs is a "Meet the Mods!" post.

    Though I disagree, strongly, with the implication that the mods have suddenly become cyclons the moment they get a star or two more (it's real unfair to them), and think that if you really want to learn about a mod all you have to do is ask them about themselves or post in a topic they frequent, just like anybody else -- okey, I'll bite. So there are members who don't feel as if the mods are approachable. Fair and valid.

    I think that's one of the reasonable concerns we can take away from this thread.

    How about a locked post like an introduction post where the mods and admins introduce themselves and say as much or as little about themselves as they please? A post to, if nothing else, see the heads all in one place so that users know who's what. It'd let everyone know how many mods and admins and such there are, cutting down on some of the confusion on quantity. Maybe a link to it on their profile pages or something?

    That way people won't feel as if they're being watched over by an unknown number of shadowy SS agents (lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

  3. #83

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Maybe what AP needs is a "Meet the Mods!" post.
    Genius idea! We need trailers for it! and music!

  4. #84

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by metteminne View Post
    Genius idea! We need trailers for it! and music!
    only if this is my song

    Hi MF

  5. #85
    Bad news for you dwayne! Smudger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Inter mundos

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Maybe what AP needs is a "Meet the Mods!" post.

    I think that's one of the reasonable concerns we can take away from this thread.

    How about a locked post like an introduction post where the mods and admins introduce themselves and say as much or as little about themselves as they please? A post to, if nothing else, see the heads all in one place so that users know who's what. It'd let everyone know how many mods and admins and such there are, cutting down on some of the confusion on quantity. Maybe a link to it on their profile pages or something?

    That way people won't feel as if they're being watched over by an unknown number of shadowy SS agents (lol).
    This is also an excellent point i wanted to bring up (not sure if have) about creating a transparent place for staff and members. I know a lot of you are busy, but if would be nice to have something we could openly converse with you on.

    Though I think if you want some of your life to remain personal then keep it like that as its your right to do so. But banter and small things can often replace the need for that depth.


    Request: When you folks do get around to destroying me, could you post the jaws theme music moments before.

    Would be an epic way to go out.

  6. #86
    See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brussels

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    I know what the problem is; it's "lack of information" that's why I with the help of Abed:
    Spoiler:

    made this really easy to read and understandable manual:
    Apforums-mods for dummies!

    With all the information you need, to not step on the mods toes!

    You want to get away with almost anything without the fear of getting banned, you want to rise to the higher echelons, you want fame, money and power! Buy this book! Available now for just $19.99.
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

  7. #87
    Discovered Stowaway m00n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Braunschweig

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Well I just might give my two cents. I've been here for 3 1/2 years and by chance I happen to be active mostly in areas where there are not a lot of mods. (seinen manga, music, formerly the anime...) However I don't see any reason to be worried. It's a bit like living in a city for a few years and realising that you don't know any of the cops in person, because you happen to like the parties that they don't go to. That's doesn't keep me from filing a complaint when I think there's a robber in town and not knowing the mods better doesn't keep me from reporting a post/member that I think needs to be gone. Often it can be better if none of the involved know each other too well cause you know, bribery is everywhere :D

    And btw. your poll is rigged. You make it sound like you can't give feedback to mods already, but we are doing it right now.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    How about a locked post like an introduction post where the mods and admins introduce themselves and say as much or as little about themselves as they please?
    I remember the dudes thread. A funny introduction thread.


  9. #89
    I came here to therapize Kitsune Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Greendale Student Health Services

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Hrm, looks like this thread spiraled. I really apologize, Smudge and Kenny, I just can't seem to see the issue here in the end. I mean, there's always a sense of disconnect in the same way there will be disconnect with managers and the like at any job. Mods and admins are just people with responsibility, but to the common grunt, the managers and mods are intimidating because they have authority. Yet we all fail to see the person behind the authority, and it's not the fault of the manager or mod.

    So this isn't just a forum issue, it's an all-encompassing real life issue as well, that roots not in the authority, but the beholder themself. That doesn't mean you can't make friends with the staff. It's generally pretty damn easy. (Hai freedie!) Even in my example, I've generally been really close with my managers, who've always been tough but fair. The point is though, that we can't fault the mods over this. They don't create the disconnect, you do.

    And guys, why would you banned over something like this? Seriously, you guys are just voicing your own opinions, not actively attacking the forum at large.

  10. #90

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    I mean, there's always a sense of disconnect in the same way there will be disconnect with managers and the like at any job. Mods and admins are just people with responsibility, but to the common grunt, the managers and mods are intimidating because they have authority. Yet we all fail to see the person behind the authority, and it's not the fault of the manager or mod.

    So this isn't just a forum issue, it's an all-encompassing real life issue as well, that roots not in the authority, but the beholder themself. That doesn't mean you can't make friends with the staff. It's generally pretty damn easy. (Hai freedie!) Even in my example, I've generally been really close with my managers, who've always been tough but fair. The point is though, that we can't fault the mods over this. They don't create the disconnect, you do.

    Play this while you read the above. It makes it much better:

    Last edited by Badass SnoCone; September 24th, 2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: *ahem* I agree.




  11. #91

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    my suggestion is to keep it cool (this smiley is cool because he wears sunglasses)

  12. #92

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    only if this is my song


    I'll go call Nintendo , you get your best clothes and some funny jokes ready

  13. #93

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kuro View Post
    my suggestion is to keep it cool (this smiley is cool because he wears sunglasses)
    "don hav a cow man!" - bert simpsun, 1908

  14. #94
    POE WUN BGR Robby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Request: When you folks do get around to destroying me, could you post the jaws theme music moments before.

    Would be an epic way to go out.
    Is this just some big joke to you where you WANT to get banned and you're just trying to be as lengthy, drawn out and public about it as possible? So you can be a martyr to a cause that doesn't exist? So that after being banned (which you seem to be asking for?) you can then go to facebook and complain about how unfair we are and feel righteous and vindicated?

    You have requested a ban in the past, got it, and then adopted a new user name. And then a few months later had the account re-merged with your old one. Is this more of the same?

    You've shown dissatisfaction in the site before, said that you were bored with it and the people after five years (and that you want to be in an private posting section) and that you'd seen all the conversations before, but after five pages and many many lengthy paragraphs, I still have NO IDEA what it is you want.

    If you want a ban, just ask for one, stop teasing with "when the evil personality-less mods that always fight among themselves get around to banning me for being harmless, it'll be a laugh!". You aren't going to be banned for asking questions. You can be by requesting one, thats not a problem, if all you want is an excuse to leave.

    We've been patient. Left this thread open for discussion. Asked for clarification, and answered questions. Get around to actually making a point that isn't that YOU personally don't seem to know us very well, despite our regular posting.

    You bring up the fact that you and I clashed in the Naruto thread. That's because... it was the Naruto thread, had nothing to do with you personally. (Naruto is its own can worms.) All the misunderstanding, and lack of knowing people, is on YOUR end. You make a ton of assumptions that just... aren't true.

    I have no problems with you. The staff is on instant messenger with each other all the time. We agree on things as a staff and ar pretty friendly with one another, and talk about more than just staff work. (The April Fools fight with Zephos as a mod was coordinated behind the scenes, honest.) Most of us post a lot and respond to a lot of people and spend a lot of time on this site..

    And there's already half a dozen ways to communicate with the staff, AS STAFF... and plenty of conventional ways to talk to us AS PEOPLE. They aren't incredibly interconnected things, and at the same time they aren't some strange wall barrier either.
    Last edited by Robby; September 24th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

  15. #95
    Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Amestris

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mugiwara_no_Ice View Post
    made this really easy to read and understandable manual:
    Apforums-mods for dummies!

    With all the information you need, to not step on the mods toes!

    You want to get away with almost anything without the fear of getting banned, you want to rise to the higher echelons, you want fame, money and power! Buy this book! Available now for just $19.99.
    lol this kind of reminds me of the AP Wiki, only in book format! Now with never-before-seen tips and tricks!! Do I have to pay shipping & handling?


  16. #96
    See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brussels

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by piratemarimo View Post
    Do I have to pay shipping & handling?
    Yes!

    And Gekko, do not even try to get a part of the cake. The money is all mine!
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

  17. #97

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by piratemarimo View Post
    lol this kind of reminds me of the AP Wiki, only in book format! Now with never-before-seen tips and tricks!! Do I have to pay shipping & handling?
    ...So much agree with this

  18. #98
    Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Amestris

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Gekko doesn't need my money. He's got tons of it on his exotic moon resort.

    Mette, we should totally revive the wiki thread and have waffle battles


  19. #99

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Wow this thread for out of hand. I honestly started reading this thread with the idea that there may be something here, and wanting to find out what it was. I asked many times--both here and in the replies to the PMs I;ve gotten on this, and tbh I still do not entirely understand, and while I respect and assume you started with a positive intent, it seems now to be something different. While I hate it when mods say stuff like "this thread has less dumb in it than I expected..." it pales when it comes to comparing mods to evil dictators, and assuming people will be banned for voicing opinions. Smudge, please. Gain some perspective. Its an i-net forum, and mods are volunteers. Its is very insulting to assume negative intent to begin with, but to assume some sort of power-hungry motive behind everything is just too much.

    As I already said, the fact that there is a group of mods means there is a built in system of checks and balances. Does that mean the system is perfect, or that a little smug elitism and superiority of the type I mention above won't sneak in here and there--obviously not, but please--mods are people. Real people with real feelings, and an intent to do their best, despite whatever personal feelings they may have. I know for a fact that the rest of the group tries their best to help out when things feel too personal and perspective is lost, as it surely must be at times, because that is simply human--this is in part what having a group is supposed to accomplish--and it does work. It is not a dictatorship--it is a committee. A carefully chosen committee.

    As for the hierarchy not being open or those at the bottom not feeling they have a voice, that is ridiculous, and I hope I never said anything to anyone to give them the impression I felt that way. I personally have expressed disagreement with the upper echelon--even the admins, Smudge. I feel nothing holding me back from doing that despite "only" being a sub-forum mod. I generally try to voice my feelings both in PMs and on the forums very carefully to make sure my actual point isn't lost in negativity, so I hope I am not being too direct and personal in this, but I want to be absolutely clear about what I feel. I'm sorry, you know I like you Smudge, but you are being way too emotional about this... and frankly accusations such as that are more than sufficient to create a schism, even if one never existed before. Being a mod is not an easy thing in many ways--and while that of course doesn't excuse staff from trying their best to maintain a positive attitude towards general forum members, it might behoove the general membership to remember more often that they are people, not evil all powerful dictators looking for their next victim to make themselves feel more powerful and big, or whatever it is dictators feel when they do the horrible things they do.

    When I make decisions about moving threads, closing threads, deleting posts, I do so on my own. I explain myself because it is the way I work as a mom and a teacher--it is my philosophy to teach so that the person both knows what they did so they can try not to make the same mistake again, and to teach others by example as well. I can't see how people will improve otherwise, and it feels wrong for me not to do it. That is me--that is not the phylosophy of every mod on here, and that is fine. We all have a different style, and I think in the end that is best, since there are a wide variety of posters as well. Each with their own backgrounds and history with authority figures. They all respond to something different--so its good that there is variety. There is no need for uniformity. There is only need for communication.

    IMHO mutual respect is the key.

  20. #100
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: Staff and forum feedback.

    Here is my feedback

    You've just created the topic to attention seek
    like with the science thread thing "Oh god lets sticky some new idea that no-one really has shown that they care much about because its minnnneeeeee"
    and the beelzeforums thing where you went off to create your own forum and slunk back here after it failed
    and you're not answering any of ruggies questions because you tapped out onto your keyboard without engaging your brain and you have no answers to your inane questions.

    that is my feedback.

    Now I need to go back to being oppressed by our hitler admins.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts