+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Recession Revolutions Thread Part II: Arabia and Beyond

Depraved Prince of AP Monkey King's Avatar

Default Recession Revolutions Thread Part II: Arabia and Beyond

2011, 2011, 2011
    Oh she raged and writhed, and the world shuddered.
    At the centerpoint of the current economic malaise, are the least workable and sustainable governments, the authoritarian ones.
    While even democracies saw and are seeing major ursurpings (the collapse of the seemingly invincible Silvio Wopaloni *its cool i'm italian lol OUR WORD, OUR WORD*), it's a sign of the times that no longer is dictatorship seen as viable. This ain't yo grandmammie's depression where dictators got power, it the other way around bitch.
    And aside from Sub-Saharan Africa, which is still struggling with too much else to perhaps fully consider the question of civil liberty yet, these days there's only a few major regions where dictatorship still thrives...

First...Western Europe piece by piece threw off authoritarianism starting in the mid-1800's for the most part, and completing things in the 1970's when Spain and Portugal dissolved their police states.

Second....came Latin America in the 1980's.

Third....came Eastern Europe in the late 1980's and 1990's (though Russia exists in painful midground, and Belarus...)

Fourth is East and South Asia.... still in the process. Featuring democracies like Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, India, and Thailand. But also dictatorships like North Korea, Vietnam, China, Laos, and the currently in flux state of Burma.

And now....the time has come for that most tenacious home of dictatorship. The Middle East, the Arab world more specifically.
    For a long time negative outside opinion, even within yours truly, had thought that perhaps the Arabs had a thing for dictators, strongmen, and kings. That they cared nothing for democracy and pluralism.
    Than they proved us so so marvelously wrong.
    After all, those same thoughts were applied to the peoples of all those democratized or democratizing regions in the past. Yes, including most of our own cushy Western Europe and North America. Congress of Vienna anyone?

As it stands. Four dictators have fallen.

Ben Ali of Tunisia first, ran away in panic from the unexpected uprisings among his people.

From there next fell Mubarak of Egypt after two weeks of mass demonstrations, he is now in custody there and on trial.

The chaos of Libya ripped open next, as a far more egomaniacal and brutal leader, Muammar Gaddafi brought out war against his people when they protested, forcing them into fighting back. And so doing he also brought down international intervention on his ass. And eventually he was left with nowhere to run but into the custody of the ragtag rebels he had so badly treated, and they inevitably put a bullet or two in him. Delivering him into the dictators history books alongside Mussolini and Ceausescu.

And lastly, Yemen's Saleh has finalized the agreement to step down from his role.

The aftermaths vary, Libya's as fresh as new fallen snow, the exact future unknowable.
    Yemen's even more so.

Egypt has been rocky, a stodgy awkward military transitional council is poorly managing the transition and causing further unrest. Can Egypt arrive at stability and the longed for democracy?

Lastly, wonderfully, Tunisia has peacefully arrived at it's destination. The glowing light that proves that through the blood and chaos there is an exit sign. It can be done and has.

The story is far from over.

Blood still pours into the gutter by the gallons on gallons in Syria (and Yemen actually). The pressure on Assad's back is intense.
    Elsewhere Bahrain smolders, the one truly depressing story in all this.
    Reform is tentatively in the air in Jordan, Oman, and Morocco, will this sate the people?
    What about Algeria? North Sudan? UAE? Kuwait? Qatar? And the biggest remaining Arab question.....Saudi Arabia?

What about beyond the Arab world? What of Iran? What of Belarus? Cuba? North Korea? Zimbabwe?
    What about the whole region of Central Asia? Where only Kyrgyzstan has some form of real democracy going on?

And meanwhile also....there has been reform outside the Arab world, suddenly, shockingly, and almost unbelievably one of the world's worst and most enduring dictatorships has been dissolving peacefully and from within it's own government. I will make a post about this country in due time, it's the one event we've discussed least. And is as involved in the current Revolutionary Waves as the Arab world when you get down to it.

Welcome to Part Two, may the world shake to it's core.

Previous Thread Here:
    http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=31716
    Last edited by Monkey King; November 24th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

President of America Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Default Re: Recession Revolutions Thread Part II: Arabia and Beyond

Keep on rockin' in the free world.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/24/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

The Egyptian Prime Minster under Mubarak has agreed to resume his post after the interim government resigned.

For anyone interested in re-reading the first thread on this subject, chronicling from January 27th, 2011- November 24th, 2011, it's now been moved into the archives.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    2011, 2011, 2011
    Oh she raged and writhed, and the world shuddered.
    At the centerpoint of the current economic malaise, are the least workable and sustainable governments, the authoritarian ones.
    While even democracies saw and are seeing major ursurpings (the collapse of the seemingly invincible Silvio Wopaloni *its cool i'm italian lol OUR WORD, OUR WORD*), it's a sign of the times that no longer is dictatorship seen as viable. This ain't yo grandmammie's depression where dictators got power, it the other way around bitch.
    And aside from Sub-Saharan Africa, which is still struggling with too much else to perhaps fully consider the question of civil liberty yet, these days there's only a few major regions where dictatorship still thrives...

First...Western Europe piece by piece threw off authoritarianism starting in the mid-1800's for the most part, and completing things in the 1970's when Spain and Portugal dissolved their police states.

Second....came Latin America in the 1980's.

Third....came Eastern Europe in the late 1980's and 1990's (though Russia exists in painful midground, and Belarus...)

Fourth is East and South Asia.... still in the process. Featuring democracies like Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, India, and Thailand. But also dictatorships like North Korea, Vietnam, China, Laos, and the currently in flux state of Burma.

And now....the time has come for that most tenacious home of dictatorship. The Middle East, the Arab world more specifically.
    For a long time negative outside opinion, even within yours truly, had thought that perhaps the Arabs had a thing for dictators, strongmen, and kings. That they cared nothing for democracy and pluralism.
    Than they proved us so so marvelously wrong.
    After all, those same thoughts were applied to the peoples of all those democratized or democratizing regions in the past. Yes, including most of our own cushy Western Europe and North America. Congress of Vienna anyone?

As it stands. Four dictators have fallen.

Ben Ali of Tunisia first, ran away in panic from the unexpected uprisings among his people.

From there next fell Mubarak of Egypt after two weeks of mass demonstrations, he is now in custody there and on trial.

The chaos of Libya ripped open next, as a far more egomaniacal and brutal leader, Muammar Gaddafi brought out war against his people when they protested, forcing them into fighting back. And so doing he also brought down international intervention on his ass. And eventually he was left with nowhere to run but into the custody of the ragtag rebels he had so badly treated, and they inevitably put a bullet or two in him. Delivering him into the dictators history books alongside Mussolini and Ceausescu.

And lastly, Yemen's Saleh has finalized the agreement to step down from his role.

The aftermaths vary, Libya's as fresh as new fallen snow, the exact future unknowable.
    Yemen's even more so.

Egypt has been rocky, a stodgy awkward military transitional council is poorly managing the transition and causing further unrest. Can Egypt arrive at stability and the longed for democracy?

Lastly, wonderfully, Tunisia has peacefully arrived at it's destination. The glowing light that proves that through the blood and chaos there is an exit sign. It can be done and has.

The story is far from over.

Blood still pours into the gutter by the gallons on gallons in Syria (and Yemen actually). The pressure on Assad's back is intense.
    Reform is tentatively in the air in Jordan, Oman, and Morocco, will this sate the people?
    What about Algeria? North Sudan? UAE? Kuwait? Qatar? And the biggest remaining Arab question.....Saudi Arabia?

What about beyond the Arab world? What of Iran? What of Belarus? Cuba? North Korea? Zimbabwe?
    What about the whole region of Central Asia? Where only Kyrgyzstan has some form of real democracy going on?

And meanwhile also....there has been reform outside the Arab world, suddenly, shockingly, and almost unbelievably one of the world's worst and most enduring dictatorships has been dissolving peacefully and from within it's own government. I will make a post about this country in due time, it's the one event we've discussed least. And is as involved in the current Revolutionary Waves as the Arab world when you get down to it.

Welcome to Part Two, may the world shake to it's core.

Previous Thread Here:

Let's hope the process of dictatorships falling will continue in 2012.

A brand new thread~! Let's go!!
    My 3DS Friend Code: 1091 - 8457 - 8212

~Rock and Roll~

I'M GETTIN' MONEY, NIGGA Zkaiser's Avatar

Time to learn about foreign stuff.
    What does this line mean?
    ΩMEGA PIRATES: ? Members
    Captain: Zkaiser
    Threat Level: Pink
    Goal:N/A

Bahrain's uprising has been crushed by the Bahraini government as backed by Saudi Arabia, and the West has chosen to look the other way due to Saudi Arabia disliking this uprising.
    It's chances of success are virtually zilch.

I'm glad that some of these guys got rid of some terrible people, but I really want to see the government of Saudi Arabia fall, these guys are pissing me off like no one in that section.
    Also, anybody knows how North Korea is reacting to some of this stuff? Is there like an official statement? Finally getting rid of Kim-Jong Il would be a great way to start 2012.

Here's a score card for those of you who are just now joining us:

Complicating things since 2009.

I didn't know how freedom, democracy, a people triumphant in many lands, and the end of many tyrants (Including that bastard Bin Laden who went free for far too long) could be any more awesome.

Yet Freddy Mercury makes it so.
    Last edited by Robby; November 25th, 2011 at 01:49 AM.

3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://actiontimebuddies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Here's a score card for those of you who are just now joining us:

This is very helpful. I'm glad that the Sultanate of Oman is lead by a pretty mellow dude and the people are absolutely fabulous. :)
    You're just as sane as I am.

Hey cool, a continuation to the best thread of the year. Let's make this as active as the last one.

By the way, Zeph, do you have any idea what's been going on in Algeria lately? I know the unrest died out quite fast earlier this year as the king told the people he wouldn't condone it, but I was under the impression that he also promised some minor changes. I can't remember for certain what was promised, and I'm quite interested as to whether anything actually ever happened down there.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

WHAT!!!
    GO AWAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    I'm glad that some of these guys got rid of some terrible people, but I really want to see the government of Saudi Arabia fall, these guys are pissing me off like no one in that section.
    Also, anybody knows how North Korea is reacting to some of this stuff? Is there like an official statement? Finally getting rid of Kim-Jong Il would be a great way to start 2012.
    There is. North Koreans in Libya are banned from returning, so that they can't tell anyone about the uprisings.

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

Morocco's parliamentary election is going to be held today, the first under the new constitution proposed by King Mohammed VI.

Minutes from now, the Arab League's time limit to the Syrian regime, to sign a protocol allowing monitors into the country, is going to end. If not signed, the regional body will press ahead with plans to impose economic sanctions.

Egypt state TV: Ganzouri appointed by the Military Council as a prime minister with "full authority".
    Last edited by asm00200; November 25th, 2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: new thread. new page. new post. new avatar. new... what was i saying again?

President of America Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Apparently the "new" PM of Egypt is only doing the job temporarily until elections.

On that note, Morocco holds first elections after the protests.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/25/world/africa/morocco-vote/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Discovered Stowaway

Massive protests in egypt today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15884523

People are not really accepting new prime minister (who in past was mubarak's prime minister

Everybody knows he's just another puppet appointed by the military leaders, so no wonder people are still protesting. I'm thinking the military might announce they're postponing the elections even further sometime in the near future. To be honest, I'm more afraid of a huge bloodshed and a civil war happening in Egypt than in Syria. The military has too much power and they will not let go of it easily, even if establishing a functional democracy in the country requires it.

This might yet turn ugly.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

No, the opposite is more likely. The military is having such a miserable time running things there is probably little to no desire to hold on to power for long. That's why the renewed protests are good, keep the pressure up.

And this thread, this thread is really going to be a Syria thread for a long while isn't it. When the sanctions from just about everyone heat up what else can Assad do?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information