Closed Thread
Page 153 of 501 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 151 152 153 154 155 163 203 253 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 10016

Thread: Hunter x Hunter II

Default Re: Hunter x Hunter II (still on Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by shareme View Post
    I mean the haki one - damn forgot the name... king's haki? - that got more powerful and was commented by everyone who knows about it in the war.

Yeah, it's cool but unreasonable "power up" IMO provided that it was achived accidentally days before and then the scope got large enough to fell considerable number of soldiers during the Marineford(?) war even though he hadn't trained it at all.
    That wasn't a power-up at all. He already had that power. Its natural, and didn't have anything to do with the vigour hormones. It started to awaken during the Duval arc, and then he also used it during Amazon Lily arc, so I can't see why you are calling it a power up, since he already had used it before.

See you in another life! Mugiwara_no_Ice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    A "write better yourself" argument in a Hunter x Hunter thread. You can do better than that, Mugiwara_no_Ice!
    Come on Silver :). I don't think this argument is as bad as some try to make it look. I'm not saying: if you can't write something better do not criticize.
    My question is one of real honest curiosity, cause he didn't explain why he was displeased with the story. At least I don't take a sarcastic retelling of what happened as an explanation.

When I'm displeased with a story, I see a myriad of ways it could have been better, so I'm just asking if he thought about something better so we could see the flaws in what Togashi has given us. Or at least tell us why he thinks what Togashi gave us doesn't live up to his expectations.
    Seeking infinity, with all my affinities.
    Finding truth, like a falling fruit, my ultimate finality.
    Inside my being, the outside, all things; the finite leads the way.

Quote Originally Posted by "Fire Fist" Ace View Post
    Luffy's life was in danger during the war, because Ivankov had doped him twice: once to save his life from Magellan's poison back at Impel Down, and again during the war so he could keep up with everyone else. It could have killed him, and he still got kicked around by the Admirals pretty badly. Then after Ace was killed, he basically went into a state of shock, where his life WAS in even more danger.
    What I'm saying is Gon tranforming and Luffy awakening his Haki aren't the same things at all. Haki is a skill set. Gon transforming into his older self isn't. Gon had to get revived because of him literally transforming. Luffy didn't go to the hospital because of awakening Haki...I know what Luffy went through..It's just that they got "hospitalized" for completely different reasons.

Okay this argument is getting stupid when it just resorts to, "you don't like it? too bad."

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_fire View Post
    What? Are we talking about the same thing? Are you speaking about Gons powerup or the resolve of the alluka usage? Though I wouldnt describe neither of them as "very well done".

And with horrible consequences you mean what exactly? Because Gon is up and healthy again without any repercussions whatsover. Well, apart from the dead Gotou.
    Like I said, Gon is the protagonist, he was going to survive. We don't know the effects of him using that nen yet. All he did was walk around afterwords and climb a tree.

And the powerup wasn't far fetched, with Luffy and One Piece, it became far more and more apparent that there was an ability that luffy didn't know about, and therefore didn't stand a chance.

In HxH, we had already seen just how powerful restrictions (Kurapika beat Uvogin, who had far more experience with Nen) and enhancer (Uvogin and Biscuit) users can be.

It was not far fetched for Gon to be able to beat Pitou with the restrictions he placed on himself. (HIS ENTIRE FUTURE)

I agree with you about Alluka though, Killua should've had SOME restriction for making that wish, BUT a lot of bad has come from him using it.

So yeah, Gon (as far as we know now) got off scratch free, but Killua did not.

And Killua is pretty much the deuteragonist of the series, so this is a big deal.
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

Killua's little situation is pretty weird. The Zoldycks have an idea on how Alluka's power works but Killua knows exactly how it works. Killua isn't the type that would take advantage of his sibblings powers only if Alluka was in some sort of danger he would. His characterization clearly points this out. Time will tell.

When's this coming back again? Next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
    When's this coming back again? Next year?
    When ever Togashi "decides" to go back.

So pumped for this episode! If Kurapika's chains were around me I'd break out of them, that's how pumped I am for this.

So that is why it is especially agonizing that my literary professor decided to make me read and analyze The Odyssey books 3-10 in a few days <o>_<o> I think I'm gonna have to miss this one when it's fan-subbed...
    checking out: Joanna Newsom - Milk-Eyed Monster (album)
    it is good for: a VERY unique soft-spoken voice o_O, witty lyrics, minimalist folk

The series is in hiatus since when, again?

Mid March .
    eaf4e9

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    The series is in hiatus since when, again?
    If you mean for this year, I believe the last chapter was released in the middle of March.

So it would be closing in on 6 months in a week or two.

"How do you think a real-life man can become a fictitious man? The answer is simple. One must eliminate everyone who knows him, everyone who knows his past.

One must simply be the only one who exsists..."

Great episode.
    Spoiler:
    Omg so much beer. Also I am halfway in love with Uvo, good god what a man. <3

The look on Shalnark's face after Uvo left kind of killed me a little...
    Spoiler:
    ...knowing what's coming up next. I might shed a tear. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicpoodle View Post
    So pumped for this episode! If Kurapika's chains were around me I'd break out of them, that's how pumped I am for this.
    Of course you would.

Spoiler:

Because he'd die.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromonki View Post
    Of course you would.

Spoiler:

Because he'd die.

I'm aware... I just wanted to try to spice up my boring post. Jokes aren't always amazingly logical.

Anyway, suddenly I don't have to worry about academic duties for now, so I am going to happily enjoy the new HxH episode. Haven't streamed in a long time, but I'm at a hotel and don't want to risk it.
    checking out: Joanna Newsom - Milk-Eyed Monster (album)
    it is good for: a VERY unique soft-spoken voice o_O, witty lyrics, minimalist folk

Awesome episode, pumped for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicpoodle View Post
    I'm aware... I just wanted to try to spice up my boring post. Jokes aren't always amazingly logical.
    I was being coy off of your joke, not correcting you.

Why does that ending fit the Yorkshin arc so much ?
    eaf4e9

Discovered Stowaway

I also am quite excited for the next episode

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_fire View Post
    Not even after the last arc? I never really understood, why togashi got so few criticism for that. For me, it was naruto/bleach/(insert any series you hate) bad.

So, our main character has to face a foe he cant beat under any circumstances, so lets just use the "potential of his future" as some very stupid powerup. But hey, its not THAT easy, because its just onetime usable, willl seal his Nen and cripple or even kill him afterwards. But no problem, because luckily we have this special girl, who can heal him with no aftereffects whatsoever. Though this is Hxh and we value quality storytelling so there are some very, very complicated and probably very deadly rules to obey for healing him and it can mean, that a lot of people, including gon himself, will be killed. So now focus this arc on this complex and intricate issue and.... Aw hell, just forget it, lets just say killua can use this healing power without obeying these laws, thereby not only rendering the whole arc(or sub-arc) moot, but also making the god-like powerup from the previous arc extremely cheap and without any downsides.

I'm 100% convinced that togashi wrote himself into a corner there and couldnt figure any way out. (you can even count the whole illumi business in there, because it was not really satisfyingly resolved and made the death of the butler guy totally pointless)
    I think that Gon's transformation was extremely well written and in line with the character. How about I do a recap and, perhaps, put things into perspective?

You know how Nen is strengthened by creating self-imposed conditions and taking vows, correct? It's why Kurapika's "Chain Jail" ability is so powerful--he will only use it on the Phantom Troupe and his own life is the toll for breaking said condition. I should mention that Nen is also strengthened by emotional pull.

Now a few things happened to Gon during the Chimera Ant arc. After losing to Knuckle (and thereby losing the right to enter NGL), he was forced to enter a state of Zetsu for a month. Readers have known since the Hunter Exam arc that Gon's greatest source of frustration is when he's forced to confront his own weakness, as he is extremely prideful and confident. During the Greed Island arc, Gon forsakes an easy victory against Genthru because he wants to prove to himself that he's strong--willingly sacrificing his own body just to get in a good hit. I digress, but for the sake of the argument.

After losing to Knuckle, Gon is shown his own weakness again. He sheds tears for the same reason he did after losing to Hisoka. Gon saw himself as strong enough to stand on his own, but is bluntly shown a reality he obviously can't stand. Gon isn't strong enough to rescue Kite--whom he sees as an older brother.

Nearing the end of his auraless month, Gon reunites with Kite...in a surprising manner. Even though Killua already had come to the conclusion that Kite had died, Gon held on because it's in his nature to be optimistic. He's still very much a child. This encounter changes him greatly for the rest of the arc.

The next chapter, Morel makes mention of how Gon has been compressing his anger in order to unleash it upon his enemy. Gon's learned a new technique: by forcefully entering Zetsu prior to attacking, his power explodes when he finally decides to attack.

Fast forward to the day of the national rally in East Gorteau. A quick digression. The Extermination Team still cannot figure out the reason as to why Neferpitou dispelled his En the day Knov broke into the East Gorteau Palace. They deduce that the King must've been injured by himself, but can't think of a reason as to why he would. Gon's answer is a bit surprising: "When...you can't forgive yourself."

Time's up. As the Extermination Team prepares to sprint, Killua looks over to Gon and sees his eyes darken. Symbolic of entering Zetsu--only, this time, there's something darker about them.

In front of his foe, Gon is put through the emotional wringer. Killua gets Gon to bottle his anger again, but it's clearly still there.

Eventually, we reach the climax. Kite is dead. And all of that anger Gon had directed towards Pitou gets redirected toward himself: he believes that he killed Kite. His emotions stretched to their limit, Gon makes the decision. He consumes all of his aura in a last ditch-effort: his condition and vow.

Gon utterly destroys Neferpitou. Killua rushes to his side and is horrified--what did his friend need to pledge in order to take such a form? Gon's answer isn't revealed until Pitou's corpse rips off his arm. "Finally...I'm the same as Kite was...The same as that time..."

When do you hurt yourself? "When you can't forgive yourself." It was a suicide move. Gon couldn't forgive himself for allowing Kite to die. So he sacrificed himself for this very reason. A conscious decision made when a kind boy feels guilty for the loss of a friend. He became the strongest ever--but only after feeling like the weakest. Gon's adult form was a projection of the person he wished he was: all-powerful. Strong enough to defeat his enemy. Strong enough to protect his friends.

So we basically learn that Gon doesn't handle loss well. But death is intrinsic to the natural world...especially intrinsic to the world of Hunters, whom, by profession, are often dealers of life and death. There's sure to be more of it in the manga, and I can't imagine how Gon would react if he lost someone even closer to him... like Ging, or Killua.
    Last edited by Mr. Toto; September 9th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

^ Beautifully put.

Closed Thread

Thread Information