+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 649: "The Bream and Flounder Dance"- Discussion

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Chapter 649: "The Bream and Flounder Dance"- Discussion

I honestly don't understand why people have whined so much about FI, and this chapter.

I loved it. I honestly just think that people were expecting way too much, like Oda was going to change his style just because this arc had been hyped for so long. The crew kicked some ass, and are now celebrating - eating meat, drinking sake e.t.c., which is pretty standard for any other OP arc, and I don't think anyone here is opposed to that, since that has been "most" arcs have been with the SHs, and this was the first arc like that for a long, long time now.

At the same time, we got more revelations regarding the bigger picture; voy boy, the void century, ancient weapons... Major plot points that have been in play since the start of OP, and that we have finally gotten some (partial) answers to.

Go Oda!
    Don't take yourself too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    Ha ha same here. I'm gonna be dead on my feet tomorrow and when my students ask why, I'll just be like, "Oh, just translating One Piece, you know."
    Now I'm curious. How much of your class reads One Piece, and how far have they gone?

Eh, better luck next week, I guess. It just so happens that it's finals week, and I'm in quite a bit of fuss.

Back on topic... MZ actually has done a decent enough job that I don't think anything in particular needs clarifying. With the pictures in context, the script becomes much easier to understand. Or maybe I'm just dead tired and can't focus.

Such pwety pikchurs...
    Avatar by しろくま on Pixiv; Compass Birds pic trimmed by yours truly ->

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuksgelus View Post
    How exactly are they supposed to keep Hodi Jones in prison? Zoro busted out so I can't see their jail holding hodi especially since now he is permanently buffed up. Disappointed that Oda isn't going to show us the bad effects of using so much E.S. It's Iva and his hormones all over again. Made to be a big deal taking them twice but the negatives are never shown. Sadly I feel Oda really will leave it that E.S. just made the NFP permanently weak and move on.
    I guess without the drug and a 100% Neptune can probably kick Hody ass.

They are still knocked out though, lets wait a little bit more, I also would like to see some sideeffects.

Credits to Chrissie for the signature and Nia for the avatar
    Pokemon X/Y ingame name: Pedro
    3DS FC : 1547 5213 7769 - NNID : SunGodKizaru

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    I'm really unhappy with this chapter on several levels, and since I'll never get a chance to bitch about it on the air or anywhere else, I figure I'll post it:

Concerning the Jinbe decision, regardless of the decision you may want to be made, it's ultimately incredibly disappointing. The action and the drama all lead to Luffy making a relatively important decision about this. The tie-in to this resolving the wounds of Fishman Island in a more metaphorical sense makes this decision ultimately a profound disappointment by Oda. He's now literally taking the words out of his own mouth. It's as if the last chapter was sound and fury signifying nothing. Regardless of whether you like Jinbe or not, and I understand if you don't, it makes this whole arc seem far more meaningless to me. This makes the whole party scene directly after even more useless, and empty, in my opinion. The ultimate "reveal" at the end isn't all that surprising either, I think the theory has been floated around that Noah or Shirahoshi or some combination thereof was the ancient weapon Poseidon (which I know we mentioned at least a few times on the podcast). I feel like Oda dragged us back to Fishman Island solely for that confirmation at this point, and that's also a hallow narrative. Had Luffy just left, I think this would have been a more poignant chapter. The only thing staying could possibly solve is clearing up Sharley's prediction. Of course, my full opinions ride on what happens next chapter, but this was just let-down after let-down. This chapter was mixed the predictable with the unpredictably disappointing, and this is coming from someone who loves just about every chapter of One Piece.

Now I'm gonna get back to work.
    I like Jinbe, but not as a crew-member. I feel that NW will be less an adventure if he's joining.

I think the transfusion itself has served as "the path towards the sun", heck, it is even said that way. I'd say Jinbe's (or anyone else's) joining would just add something, but not a must.

Btw, my only disputes with MR's version are:
    -Sanji's line re: Jinbe (We shouldn't hassle him if he's talking about duty, not: don't hassle people with your duty crap)
    -Zoro's line about booze (Heroes give it away, not: you give your booze to heroes)

Otherwise it's pretty clean this week.
    This is assuming that our raw script is correct, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rubia_ryu View Post
    Now I'm curious. How much of your class reads One Piece, and how far have they gone?
    Fewer than you might think. And a large number of those who do either only read tankoubon or only watch the anime.

I think before we start complaining about the loose ends, we should wait for the Strawhats to leave and that's probably quite a few more chapters.
    I'm also positive there's a good reason why Jinbei didn't join right now and Shirahoshi's revelation might be somewhat predictable, but we still don't know many things about the weapons or anything related to the void century.

This all requires patience and this fanbase is very bad with patience although there have been quite a few worse arcs than this, which only have served as foreshadowing and setting up the better parts.

Btw, guys! Did anyone find it unusual/coincidence that this chapter shows both the Depths of the World cover story showing Gan Fall and the few last pages of Robin telling Neptune about the Poneglyph on Shandora?Back in the Skypiea arc, Robin told about the Shandora Poneglyph to Gan Fall and now, both his appearance in the cover story and the revelation of Poseidon is included in this chap.

ms chapter is out nice info about the title.

For some absurd reason, I still see Caribou pulling a Robin....I don't know why though...
    Just a young black ghost who likes to chase after a little ms pacman every now and then.

This image exceeds site size recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSnake View Post
    For some absurd reason, I still see Caribou pulling a Robin....I don't know why though...
    Yes the rapist is going to pull a Robin...

I do think he is going to the NW with them, he is probably going to hide in the ship.

Shirahoshi BEING Poseidon was predictable? Not being related, or "something to do with Noah and Shirahoshi MIGHT have something to do with Poseidon", no. I'm saying, "Princess Shirahoshi IS a Weapon of Mass Destruction, specificaly Poseidon?". Hell, kudos to the people here. I just can't go that far with predictions, no way!

As I said, I alredy more or less expected Poseidon to be around FI. Yes, for the petty reason that Poseidon is the sea god, nothing else. But it's only logical that a poneglyph just mentions where to find something, not "Hey, Poseidon is HERE!". Why mention it if it's there?

Anyways, great chapter. That celebration was neat, I don't care if Jinbe joins or not, and I won't find that a reason to consider this arc meaningless or useless just because someone joins or doesn't join.

Now Ms translations of Jinbe lines confuse me somewhat. But I guess they did take a little to much freedom there.

Ha ha same here. I'm gonna be dead on my feet tomorrow and when my students ask why, I'll just be like, "Oh, just translating One Piece, you know."
    Quote Originally Posted by rubia_ryu View Post
    Back on topic... MZ actually has done a decent enough job that I don't think anything in particular needs clarifying. With the pictures in context, the script becomes much easier to understand. Or maybe I'm just dead tired and can't focus.

Such pwety pikchurs...
    We are all grateful for your hardwork, Rubia, CCC, and Futsuu. Thanks a lot, guys. お疲れ様でした。

Pics sure give a whole lot better context to make translations.
    Btw, my only disputes with MR's version are:
    -Sanji's line re: Jinbe (We shouldn't hassle him if he's talking about duty, not: don't hassle people with your duty crap)
    -Zoro's line about booze (Heroes give it away, not: you give your booze to heroes)

Otherwise it's pretty clean this week.
    This is assuming that our raw script is correct, of course.
    There are some lines missing in our raw script.

And Poseidon is more an epithet than a real name of the old princess.

Nami is still an awesome drinker she beat Fukaboshi apparently :P

I hope Caribou is going to somehow find out Shirahoshi's worth and try to take her to the new world or mariejois. Great chapter, lots of info.

Banalona for the win! Kokolores's Avatar

So, what does Neptune plan to do about Shirahoshi? The leaders of the WG no doubt know everything about the Void Century, so they should know about Poseidon. Once they find out that Shirahoshi is his successor they'll no doubt react. And I can't think of them coming up with a reaction other than either attempting to kill her or to bring her under their control. How will Neptune protect her and Fishmen Island?
    Gorlak wants you for the army

Jinbe simply postponed his official joining to a future date. And the mugiwaras are staying on at FI for another week. A week is a long time in the OP universe. I'm confident when the Strawhats finally set out for the NW Jinbe will be among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolores View Post
    So, what does Neptune plan to do about Shirahoshi? The leaders of the WG no doubt know everything about the Void Century, so they should know about Poseidon. Once they find out that Shirahoshi is his successor they'll no doubt react. And I can't think of them coming up with a reaction other than either attempting to kill her or to bring her under their control. How will Neptune protect her and Fishmen Island?
    Two words, Reverie arc :D

Do you guys think itīs possible that the duty Jinbe was talking about is to catch the thief who took all the treasures in the palace?
    Though iīm not certain if Jinbe know about it but in my opinion it would really close all the threads neatly if by coincidence Luffy and co catch Caribou and basically release Jinbe from his duty.
    Btw, maybe itīs clear from my post that i really hope that Jinbe would join this arc.

WOW! That was a twist I didn't see coming. Shirahoshi IS the ancient weapon?

Anyways, I liked the chapter; although my favorite moment was Zoro's line about booze was great. LOL
    I think Jinbei is just going to pull a Vivi though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information