+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Katawa Shoujo

Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar

Default Re: Katawa Shoujo

Finsihed Hanako's route and got her good ending after inadvertantly crashing into her bad one. I have to say, oof. Well played game, well played.

Now if only H-scene writers would realize that describing in painstaking detail which part does what during sex, while you're actually doing it, is about as arousing as doing the some for, oh, I don't know, a colonoscopy.
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Finsihed Hanako's route and got her good ending after inadvertantly crashing into her bad one.
    I had the same experience.

Bad ending... didn't really fit at all, and was wholly unsatisfying. Liked the good ending much better.

Now, what can I say on it...

Hanako's story was really, really good. I wasn't sure about how I felt on Hanako as a character going into it, but as it turns out, her story and development was suitably emotional, and her relationship with Hisao was very sweet. This was the sort of excellent writing that I've come to expect from Katawa Shoujo, no question about that. By the end, I found myself honestly hoping that they get together, and when they sorted everything out, I was actually happy for them. At first I was a bit worried at what direction they were going in, but how the ending was handled surprised me with how mature it was. I don't think anything in the story could quite match the weight of Rin's route, but right now that's the only complaint I have, and the story was still heavy regardless, with a few moments in particular that stood out to me with masterful writing. The other characters were great too, and I was pleased by the attention given to the supporting cast. All in all, Hanako's path was well worth the time spend on it.

Alright, now to do Emi next, let's see how it holds up. I've heard things about it that are... interesting, to say the least.

After playing all the routes I can see why Lilly's would be the "good" one for many. It's funny, Hisao's character changes through his answers, even his way of thinking. Going from Rin to Lilly really showed that. I also felt a strange sensation of peace while playing Lilly. These games influence me too much, heck I'm sure you could trace my attitude, career of choice and such if you could find what I was interested in at different times of my life... I've become better in school (for two days but it's something big for me) and I drink tea. It's kinda pitiful really... :/

Hanako have an interesting Bad Ending. In fact, I think one of her BE H-scenes was supposed to be a la date rape-ish. Anyways, it's cool that she isn't shouting at Hisao but that asshole player that just happened to be yours truly who made her miserable. My pleasure (but then I felt bad and re played the good ending). Again, she also seemed to find more peace in Lilly's route. Who knows... Maybe our hero isn't as "just going with the flow" nice guy as it seems (for me at least).
    I still wish Kenji Potter was an option. Manly picnic to the side, it would be interesting to see how things would turn out like that... I can only imagine it to be funnier than Emi's.
    You should really vote for Kai.

Huh, so after doing some research, I realized I never actually saw Hanako's Bad End after all. I saw the "mediocre" ending. And by god was it mediocre.

Actually, the Bad End sounds really entertaining now, I'd like to read it. I especially feel proud of myself for not having gotten it during my first time through, seeing what the context is.

Speaking of Hanako, I've determined that you can still tell Kenji that she's cute in Act 1 regardless of which route you're aiming to go down. Fortunately, I wasn't too far into Act 1 for Shizune when I learned this, and was able to easily restart.

I think I have a problem.
    [ Twitter | deviantART | FanFic: DragonBall GT: Revised | My YouTube ]
    3DS FC: 1504 - 5800 - 6358
    NNID: KaboomKrusader

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Now if only H-scene writers would realize that describing in painstaking detail which part does what during sex, while you're actually doing it, is about as arousing as doing the some for, oh, I don't know, a colonoscopy.
    Believe it or not, the writers write what they think is hot.

There are two "sex scenes" (non-H) in Ever17 between two different pairs and I found they fit the plot a whole lot better than the H scenes one typically sees in VNs. None of the devs like that style of presentation, which really reflects the roots of the games - Ever17 was intended for a general game audience, rather than the typical renai dating sim audience, and we have fans of renai dating sims trying to appeal to a broader audience without adapting the material. I think they assumed the casual audience would just disable it, lol.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I just got "asked" whether I want Shizune's good or bad ending (it was painfully obvious), and, on a whim, I decided to see the bad ending first.
    Boy oh boy, for a second I thought this would be getting really dark.

On an unrelated note, I've come to really like Kenji. Who would have thought.

Finished Emi's route, got the good ending, and so on and so forth.

Anyways, while it never reached the quality of, say, Rin's route or even Hanako's, it was still well done nonetheless, and I enjoyed it. At first I thought that Emi's personality would just annoy me, but she turned out to be very entertaining, although I thought that her relationship with Hisao was a bit more forced than, say, Hanako's. The story itself was mostly lighthearted and fun, but the few darker moments, especially towards the end, were done both realistically and skillfully, and her outbursts at Hisao were well-written. I also liked that we finally got to see more from the Nurse, but the supporting character that really stood out was, of course, Rin, who managed to be the best part of the story despite it not even being her route this time.

Spoiler:
    The weakest part of the story by far was how obvious it was that her dad was dead. This was the most devious sort of twist of all, the kind that makes you think there's gonna be some bigger twist or surprise, but really it just ends up being exactly what you'd expect. It would've been better if they just stated it clearly early on, I think.

Still, the ending would've been awesome, but it was completely ruined by the out of place sex moment, which, as I've come to expect from Katawa Shoujo, wasn't sexy in the slightest. Mind you, from reading my analysis of this game so far, you may think that I'm some sort of pure, snobbish prude who hates reading about sex, but I'd like to say that this isn't the case at all. Sex is fine in a story, especially when it fits with the plot and serves a purpose (a good example of this would be the one with Hanako at the end of her story) but when it's done just for the sake of throwing some sexy in there, especially when it's pretty much the final moments of the story... I am unhappy.

Anyways, the shack scene. Um... I actually don't have much to say about it, other than that it was hilarious. It was kind of ruined for me, though, because it was spoiled for me beforehand. That's not even cool!

I'm almost done now (I only have Lilly's endings left), and this got a chuckle out of me (spoilers for Lilly's path):

Spoiler:
    Kenji: "There's a few people I wouldn't mind sitting with. Nobody's like you, though."
    I feel a shiver run through my spine.
    Hisao: "Clarify that now."

I'm currently reading through the rest of this conversation.
    Damn, I love Kenji.

After reading this thread i wanted to try this.

Wow, this really eats up the hours. It's sucking me in with a mix of intrigue and enjoyment.
    I've never played a VN before but i'm taking to it like a duck to water, this is pretty fun and i'm enjoying the character interactions.

I'm still on act 1 (currently having lunch on the roof with Emi and Rin), and so far Rin is my favourite.
    When it comes down to routes I'll save her for last if i can help it.

Well I played through the good endings of Emi and Rin and I must say it has been great , and Rin is just damn awesome and sadly I can somewhat relate to her

i'm currently d'awwing at the firework part where she uses you as a pillow.

Rin's path is indeed one of the best, if not the best.

I'm pretty much done with Lilly now, and I came to realize which girl I would have loved to go for: Akira. I'd have chosen her over the main cast any time.
    Maybe it's because she reminds me of myself so much, right down to her career choice.
    Last edited by Nia; January 30th, 2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: ... does that make me narcissistic?

Well people always told me Lily or Rin are the best storys

oh btw anyone who has a gif of the Rin movie scene where she paints and she turns into something abstract for a moment?
    Last edited by Mr M; January 30th, 2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: possible on avatar format?

Quote Originally Posted by metteminne View Post
    Well people always told me Lily or Rin are the best storys
    Now that I'm truly finished with the game - I'd say I enjoyed Lilly's more. Both are great, for their own reasons and in their own ways.

I now understand why everyone told me to save Lilly for last. Damn, that's a great ending for the game as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Nia View Post
    Now that I'm truly finished with the game - I'd say I enjoyed Lilly's more. Both are great, for their own reasons and in their own ways.

I now understand why everyone told me to save Lilly for last. Damn, that's a great ending for the game as a whole.
    I guess it will depend on how you like the char , but I haven't played Lily myself either , now doing Hanako and saving Lilly for last aswell :p

"come closer."
    oh wow. i love the way that scene played out.
    IMO it had just the right amount of emotional tenderness mixed in.

I'm still going through Lilly's route, and, at the risk of sounding foolish later, it had better have a really fucking perfect ending if it makes her story better than Rin's. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylor View Post
    I'm still going through Lilly's route, and, at the risk of sounding foolish later, it had better have a really fucking perfect ending if it makes her story better than Rin's. Just saying.
    It might just be my feminine, sappy side talking, but while Rin's path was really fascinating and awesome, Lilly's had more emotion to it. Not to say that Rin's didn't have emotion, but ... ugh, I'm bad at explaining things.
    I guess I also like Lilly's path better because of the side characters. Kenji is pretty awesome in this one. And of course there's Akira. Good God, just ... Akira.

Yeah, I like Rin's and Lilly's path the best as well, but in a different way. While Rin is a more unique character, and her story is something that you don't often see in anime/manga that is written pretty damn go. Whereas with Lilly, the whole thing is a bit of a cliche, just like something out of your usual romance novels, but the writer is also very commendable for being able to spin the tropes and make it not boring, but interesting to read.

In short - Rin's route makes me think with an introspective end, while Lilly's route makes me feel with a heartwarming ending.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information