+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 405 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 8093

Thread: Fairy Tail Discussion III

  1. #1081

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Personally, I thought this chapter was good. Ever since Gerard's turned into a good guy, his character's improved in my eyes (at least for this arc, he has a reason to be there, instead of randomly being shoehorned in like he was for several others, and now that they're on the same side, he doesn't seem to be derailing Erza's character whenever he appears like he did before); it probably helps that he's lightened up, and he can actually be involved in comedic moments now (like with the end of his fight with Jura) rather than being taken completely seriously within the story.

    As far as the Sabretooth bit, it was fairly easy for me to ignore the fanservice - it clearly established that Genma is like what Luxus would have been like if he got his way during his arc, and that Yukino is so loyal to Sabretooth that she'd be willing to humiliate herself to make up for her failings. I'm not going to get into the sexism debate, but with Sting, his defeat could be excused as a common problem with all Dragon Slayers coupled with bad luck - with Yukino, she arrogantly assumed that she'd win in spite of being physically weak, bet her life on the match, failed to land a single blow, and was humiliated in front of a large audience, which would make Sabretooth look bad. The scale of Yukino's failure was simply that much greater; the punishment was over-the-top, but that's to be expected coming from a guild where being number one is apparently the only important thing.

    I think most of us saw the Milliana reveal coming, but it's nice to see that not everybody automatically forgave Gerard, and that Simon's death wasn't just swept under the rug. Next week's chapter title seems to imply that Lucy's going to be given the remaining two Zodiac keys, but I've been wrong before; guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

  2. #1082

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuhan View Post
    Usually I would agree with this, usually...
    My main problem is that Sting got a slap on the wrist for being a doofus during the first event. He is supposed to be one of the star members and was humiliated. This chick actually put up a decent spectacle, and then is told to strip and is thrown out...

    Seems to be a double standard to me...
    i am not defending FT or something like that. FT is one of manga that i only read once so i am not really remember every detail of it, but if i am not mistaken, the leader already stated that one of the reason was she's cocky about herself, made a life/death deal with her opponent but lost badly and instead of getting killed by her opponent because of the deal, the opponent pitied her and spare her life. that is I think is really humiliating than whatever happen to Sting.

    edit: Megadoomer said it better about Yukino Sting matter.

    and we can add more reason like she's new to the guild or guild's bo5, Sting is their one of the best members. and that scene is more like an introducing the leader and his characterization rather than a fan-service or much worse sexist. and like Crossword said, that kind of scenario is existed in writing for ages.


    and about Gerard plot, i think it is good for Mashiro to tie some story to Gerard or any other old characters rather than just introduce more characters and "plot" and shoved at readers their sob story and expect readers to care.
    Last edited by Hisoga; May 4th, 2012 at 09:48 PM.

  3. #1083
    Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Out there

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    It's the author's track record that makes this seem dodgey, even if it wasn't the intent for once.

    Hah, the title of the latest anime episode teased a rematch between Natsu and Laxus, but apparently it doesn't take place until the end of the episode and is over before any real fighting even begins (ie, Laxus just punches Natsu out).
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  4. #1084
    Everypony's Favorite Brony Shuhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    An arctic kitchen

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by Maron View Post
    I think he's meant to be shown objectifying them, and it'll probably come to bite him in the ass later. Of course, I could be wrong and this could just be something never really brought up again (Lucyclone might be too ashamed to recount the story to FT) in which case I see your point.
    This is the general gist of what I was meaning...Like Crossword said, this exists in literature everywhere, but that doesn't mean that I like it in every medium. It's an overused character trait to objectify women and sometimes it just bugs me...That's why even though I have been trying to give Naruto a fair shake as well, I still hate Madara for the same reasons...but I'll leave that there...

    Sorry for any confusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valiantt
    FUCK YOU and Butterflies
    Friend Code~4511-0806-1418

  5. #1085

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    For a man to strip is really nothing. Even in school, once in fifth grade, the door to the gym dressing room was opened, and before the girls, a boy ran across the room nude. Same in movies. Showing the front of a man is more acceptable than that of a woman. Mashima wouldn't have achieved anything by making the guy take of his clothes, especially in front of men.

    However, knowing how much the man enjoys drawing big boobs and women in sexy positions, like recently, this was a low. He did it for nothing than to draw some forms. Even the page where a bubble covers her butt annoyed me.

  6. #1086

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by baby-boo View Post
    For a man to strip is really nothing. Even in school, once in fifth grade, the door to the gym dressing room was opened, and before the girls, a boy ran across the room nude. Same in movies. Showing the front of a man is more acceptable than that of a woman. Mashima wouldn't have achieved anything by making the guy take of his clothes, especially in front of men.

    However, knowing how much the man enjoys drawing big boobs and women in sexy positions, like recently, this was a low. He did it for nothing than to draw some forms. Even the page where a bubble covers her butt annoyed me.
    well gee that's because only one part of a male's body in the front is considered nudity. Anyway
    So let's say a man and a woman are stripped naked in front of the same crowd are you saying the man is supposed to be less embarrassed than the female because he has less bits to worry about?


    A grade school gym class scenario is not what happened here and if it happened to a man it wouldn't be viewed like that either.

  7. #1087
    POE WUN BGR Robby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Fairy Tail? Sexist? Needlessly having the female characters get naked for no good reason?

    Why I never would have guessed!


    I haven't read the series since chapter 200 or so. Is Erza still getting nerfed regularly? Gerard showing up every arc? Surprise dragon slayers?
    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://www.anaria.net/

  8. #1088

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    What happened to defying cynicism Robby!? Not that I'd like to defend FT or anything...

    Anyway as far as the stripping thing goes, normally I wouldn't have any problem against it. Sure it's a cheap ploy for poignance but whatever. However people like Mashima, Akamatsu, and Matsuena have forfeited the right to play this card seeing as how they voluntarily objectify their own characters on a regular basis.
    Hey you! Let's party!

  9. #1089

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Fairy Tail? Sexist? Needlessly having the female characters get naked for no good reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Why I never would have guessed!

    I haven't read the series since chapter 200 or so. Is Erza still getting nerfed regularly? Gerard showing up every arc? Surprise dragon slayers?
    Two surprise "new generation" bishie Dragon Slayers. And Jellal lied to Erza about being engaged after she kissed him because he wants to redempt or whatever. Also the catgirl from Tower of Heaven is back (in an all-female guild) and just told Erza about a girl in her guild that has a sword she wants to use for killing Jellal.

    Now we gotta feel all concerned for him an' shit

  10. #1090
    POE WUN BGR Robby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrequited View Post
    What happened to defying cynicism Robby!? Not that I'd like to defend FT or anything...
    In a COMPLETELY SEPERATE THREAD I saw there was a debate going on about Fairy Tail doing some extra humiliating and needless sexism this chapter and so I took a look.

    When the author, who is notorious for doing blatant fanservice anyway, is doing something gratuitous enough for it to be talked about elsewhere... yea.

    The other questions are actual questions. I haven't touched the series in two years, and beyond knowing theres a timeskip, I was curious if its old nonstop trends were keeping up. Since I saw that Garard was in this very chapter, and last I read he was about to be executed...

    Also. When did Yoko for Gurren Laggan enter this series as a catgirl?
    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://www.anaria.net/

  11. #1091
    is Stolen Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a state of mind

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    In a COMPLETELY SEPERATE THREAD I saw there was a debate going on about Fairy Tail doing some extra humiliating and needless sexism this chapter and so I took a look.

    When the author, who is notorious for doing blatant fanservice anyway, is doing something gratuitous enough for it to be talked about elsewhere... yea.

    The other questions are actual questions. I haven't touched the series in two years, and beyond knowing theres a timeskip, I was curious if its old nonstop trends were keeping up. Since I saw that Garard was in this very chapter, and last I read he was about to be executed...

    Also. When did Yoko for Gurren Laggan enter this series as a catgirl?
    It's the same old Fairy Tail, really.

    Which thread? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

  12. #1092
    POE WUN BGR Robby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    In the creativity section, Action Park Force. Though on second look, it was actually from three months ago.

    So the fact that there was a debate about a gratuitous fanservice scene then... and then there happens to also be one *this* week.... yeah....
    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://www.anaria.net/

  13. #1093

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    A gratuitous fanservice scene ?

  14. #1094
    POE WUN BGR Robby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    A gratuitous fanservice scene ?
    Female character being stripped naked for three pages just cause.
    And humiliated, at the same time.

    Never woulda been done with a male character in the same series.
    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://www.anaria.net/

  15. #1095

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Female character being stripped naked for three pages just cause.
    And humiliated, at the same time.

    Never woulda been done with a male character in the same series.
    Oh, I thought you were talking about something that was mentioned in my thread 3 months ago.
    I spent like 10 minutes looking it through it to make sure my memory wasn't hazy. Hahah!

  16. #1096

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Female character being stripped naked for three pages just cause.
    And humiliated, at the same time.

    Never woulda been done with a male character in the same series.
    Well, she got cocky and bet her life on a fight. She lost, but was spared. ST Guild Master got mad at the fact that a member of his guild was pitied (dishonoring both the guild and her own bet) and ordered her to strip in front of her guildmates, who are mostly male, then he booted her out of the guild.

    About Jellal, he's trying to redeem himself after escaping from jail, but only Erza and some other FT members actually forgave him. The other hundreds of people that he screwed over during his life are out there trying to kill him.

  17. #1097
    POE WUN BGR Robby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Well, she got cocky and bet her life on a fight. She lost, but was spared. ST Guild Master got mad at the fact that a member of his guild was pitied (dishonoring both the guild and her own bet) and ordered her to strip in front of her guildmates, who are mostly male, then he booted her out of the guild.
    Could have just... taken away her tatoo.

    Or given her a scar.

    Or made her wear a hat of shame.

    Didn't need to strip her naked.

    If it had been a male member that failed, it would have been a different demeaning punishment, I guarantee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Oh, I thought you were talking about something that was mentioned in my thread 3 months ago.
    I spent like 10 minutes looking it through it to make sure my memory wasn't hazy. Hahah!
    Nah. In your thread someone mentioned as a topic you should hit up the Fairytail boob discussion. And not realizing it was three months ago I looked at the newest chapter and... it still applied.

    Kinda like poor, poor Negima. Which ended the way it began. Badly.
    3DS friend code: 4398-9931-0463 http://www.anaria.net/

  18. #1098

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    So if at some point the Fairy Tail gang makes the Sabretooth Boss strip, will we all be OK with this?

    ...Fairy Tail, where questions like this happen.

  19. #1099

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    So if at some point the Fairy Tail gang makes the Sabretooth Boss strip, will we all be OK with this?

    ...Fairy Tail, where questions like this happen.
    Who would want to see a naked old man?
    Last edited by King Cannon; May 6th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

  20. #1100

    Default Re: Fairy Tail Discussion III

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post

    Nah. In your thread someone mentioned as a topic you should hit up the Fairytail boob discussion. And not realizing it was three months ago I looked at the newest chapter and... it still applied.

    Kinda like poor, poor Negima. Which ended the way it began. Badly.
    Hahahah! Oh man.
    You picked the worst time then(it almost seem ironic you checked the chapter now).
    This chapter offended even me, and I'm barely disturbed by FT.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts